Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  13:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where can i hear these three demos? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  14:26:24  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Indie Cindy was a solid 6.5/10. It would have been a different album with Kim and less slick. In that link posted there's info about how the demos were written for Kim with her vox in place, the lack of them screwed things up. I think there are a few classic albums in them, but they need to pick up gyre pace to meet Charles output/ work ethic it tease them out.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  23:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually like Indie Cindy (the album) a lot. It's not flawless, but it's good, sometimes very good. Of course, everything is totally ruined by the overproduction/compression to the point that it's just not listenable at all. That's a fucking shame. But I think everyone here agrees on that.

Paz is just not a singer. So I don't think her voice could be "used" in any way.

For the few lucky ones that got to hear those alleged 3 new demos, how do they sound ? Are those the remaining songs of the Rice & Beans music 2013 update ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  02:50:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic
For the few lucky ones that got to hear those alleged 3 new demos, how do they sound ? Are those the remaining songs of the Rice & Beans music 2013 update ?

Does anyone ever read my messages?

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21455

Denis
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  04:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't read every single topic on this forum...

Thanks for the link anyway.

Edit: just listened. Except OLC, those sound like classic FB tunes.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/19/2014 04:52:52
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  05:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

Does anyone ever read my messages?

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21455

Denis

ahaa, thanks!

these recordings sound great and i like every song. i so want to hear joey all over these tracks.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  08:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those just looks like leftovers to me, won't be used twice.

O little cloud would have made a nice Pixies song, though. Could easily have replaced a weaker one on the album.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  08:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB explicitly says they may end up as Pixies or solo songs though. they're not as immediately arresting as greens or classic masher, but they reveal themselves with each listen... there's a surprising amount of depth within these weird little tunes. i'd love to see them explored with the pixies. i think women of war shows what they could sound like with the full band. not that they don't already rule.

Edited by - IBreed on 11/19/2014 08:22:30
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  10:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

FB explicitly says they may end up as Pixies or solo songs though. they're not as immediately arresting as greens or classic masher, but they reveal themselves with each listen... there's a surprising amount of depth within these weird little tunes. i'd love to see them explored with the pixies. i think women of war shows what they could sound like with the full band. not that they don't already rule.

If the story about the band not being open to writing is true then I'm really disappointed

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  11:48:29  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The songs are raw and rocking and punk, but a bit demo sounding. They would be Pixies tracks with Joey on them, I don't know what the hold up is. A punk rock Pixies album is what we need.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  13:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those just looks like leftovers to me, won't be used twice.

O little cloud would have made a nice Pixies song, though. Could easily have replaced a weaker one on the album.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Hey, exactly. Replace Another Toe with O Little Cloud, and the whole album gets better :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  23:52:25  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Songs rejected by Pixies are going on the new BF album, plus new ones. Disappointed the new Pixies can't see how awesome the BF demos are and won't do a new album. Maybe it's time for another 11 year break.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  05:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Songs rejected by Pixies are going on the new BF album, plus new ones. Disappointed the new Pixies can't see how awesome the BF demos are and won't do a new album. Maybe it's time for another 11 year break.

You are overdoing it a bit man. If they don't want to record, so be it, at least we know BF will keep pushing on. And the demos are ok, to my ears they are simple and with some promise but it's not like they are clearly epic or anything. The other members may be more picky about what they want to work on. There is a reason people aren't tripping over themselves talking up the demos, because they are just "fine". Especially compared to something Classic Masher which right of the bat sounds catchy and full of potential.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  07:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

You are overdoing it a bit man. If they don't want to record, so be it, at least we know BF will keep pushing on. And the demos are ok, to my ears they are simple and with some promise but it's not like they are clearly epic or anything. The other members may be more picky about what they want to work on. There is a reason people aren't tripping over themselves talking up the demos, because they are just "fine". Especially compared to something Classic Masher which right of the bat sounds catchy and full of potential.

i get what you're saying. but imagining these weird, less digestible songs alongside a few classic mashers is really exciting! for example, women of war is a few notches less catchy than another toe in the ocean, but i'd so much rather be rewarded by the weirder melodies of the former after six plays than have to put up with the immediate un-pixie like radio rock of the latter.

so much of indie cindy is immediate. and outside of the aforementioned toe, most of it rules. but a new pixies album that celebrates the weird some more is probably pretty tantalizing to many. it is to me. open on um chagga lagga, followed by classic masher, then o little cloud...

so cool! just as an aside, one thing these demos really highlight is how cool of a rhythm player Frank is. i hope that's kept central on the new pixies album, whenever that may be.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  09:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

i get what you're saying. but imagining these weird, less digestible songs alongside a few classic mashers is really exciting! for example, women of war is a few notches less catchy than another toe in the ocean, but i'd so much rather be rewarded by the weirder melodies of the former after six plays than have to put up with the immediate un-pixie like radio rock of the latter.

so much of indie cindy is immediate. and outside of the aforementioned toe, most of it rules. but a new pixies album that celebrates the weird some more is probably pretty tantalizing to many. it is to me. open on um chagga lagga, followed by classic masher, then o little cloud...

so cool! just as an aside, one thing these demos really highlight is how cool of a rhythm player Frank is. i hope that's kept central on the new pixies album, whenever that may be.

I think you misunderstand me. I wish the demos were more weird. They are more tame than I would prefer.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  11:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://blackfrancis.net/update-black-francis/

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  03:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good spot, lot's of interesting titbits on that link, especially this one

"We have finally finished putting together the art and text and tracks for the Frank Black And The Cathoics complete recordings box set. Everything has been re-mastered from the original live to 2-track and 1-track recordings. The release contains well over a hundred songs. There will also be a bonus disc of “technical demos” that Ben Mumphrey (who engineered ALL of the mobile recordings) has found recently in his New Orleans recording archive"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  04:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, if I understand correctly, he will send out more demos in the future.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000