Gigantic Used for iPhone Commercial??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  14:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WTF? I just saw a TV commercial for some iCrap product that used the Pixies Gigantic as the background song, although it was not the original recording....a cover version. Has anyone else seen this? Do they really need the money that badly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmfmUWqlSA

ETA: Thompson holds the copyright on that song. What's it say that that he licensed "Kim's song" to sell iCrap? Ouch.

Edited by - Fissile on 04/22/2014 18:31:03

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  14:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I saw the commercial last nite for the first time. I was reading during the commercials but when I heard "GIGANTIC" I def perked up. I hate commercials (naturally!) and hate all the new devices fer sure.

That being said I loved hearing the song and liked how it was used.

BTW ....wouldnt Kim get paid for its use since she wrote it?!
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  15:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

Yeah I saw the commercial last nite for the first time. I was reading during the commercials but when I heard "GIGANTIC" I def perked up. I hate commercials (naturally!) and hate all the new devices fer sure.

That being said I loved hearing the song and liked how it was used.

BTW ....wouldnt Kim get paid for its use since she wrote it?!

Kim has a writing credit, although the copyright goes to Rice and Beans Publishing, which is owned by Thompson. Yes, Kim will get some money out of it, but my point is that Thompson didn't need Kim's permission to sell the rights to the song.

What I find astonishing about this is that Apple would use this song at all. Does no one at Apple realize that the song is about a big, black penis?
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  20:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's irrelevent. The commercial is mostly the instrumentals and is less than 50 secs. i just love the music regardless of the meaning
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  06:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard it emanate from my TV while in the kitchen the other night. It sounded horrible.

Edited by - BLT on 04/30/2014 06:45:59
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  13:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh then I guess you think
Gigantic is a "horrible" song
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2014 :  14:31:29  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Kim and Kelley sang it at RSD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPXVm55m5k
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  06:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a recent interview;

Interviewer: Before we go, I have to ask about the new iPhone commercial. Pixies music has been in ads before, but it doesn't happen often. How do you decide what's OK to do?

BF: Pretty much I say yes to everything. Two times I've said no because I felt maybe the subject matter was too controversial or inappropriate or something. But generally, I say yes because â?¦ because that's showbiz, I don't know. (Laughs)

http://archive.courierpostonline.com/usatoday/article/8507327

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  12:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

From a recent interview;

Interviewer: Before we go, I have to ask about the new iPhone commercial. Pixies music has been in ads before, but it doesn't happen often. How do you decide what's OK to do?

BF: Pretty much I say yes to everything. Two times I've said no because I felt maybe the subject matter was too controversial or inappropriate or something. But generally, I say yes because â?¦ because that's showbiz, I don't know. (Laughs)

http://archive.courierpostonline.com/usatoday/article/8507327

Thanks for the link. Like I said, the song is owned by Thompson, although Kim has a writing credit, which means she'll get paid, but bottom line is that she has no say in how the song is used.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  23:39:10  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thompson would have allowed Apple to license the one big Pixies song Kim sang on just to tarnish the Pixies legacy and to piss her off. It is Thompsons subtle "f**k you" to Kim for sabotaging the Indie Cindy sessions.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  03:27:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes, or not

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  04:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It put a smile on my face.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  08:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Thompson would have allowed Apple to license the one big Pixies song Kim sang on just to tarnish the Pixies legacy and to piss her off. It is Thompsons subtle "f**k you" to Kim for sabotaging the Indie Cindy sessions.

Ah, yup.
Go to Top of Page

onyone
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
96 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  15:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry my English not that good but seem like Fissile girl man? Don't want sound offensive. I know in America sensitive to subject. But seem like Fissile girl man? Like enjoy other man at breakfast table? Know what mean?
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  15:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onyone

Sorry my English not that good but seem like Fissile girl man? Don't want sound offensive. I know in America sensitive to subject. But seem like Fissile girl man? Like enjoy other man at breakfast table? Know what mean?

Don't you have a mass grave to dig?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  09:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

So where does the CIA fit in?

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  09:51:06  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  23:36:45  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you read between the lines, the rift between Thompson and Deal is bigger than it has ever been.
1. He won't have her back in the band. He could have been releasing "new" Pixies albums since 2005 if she was going to leave anyway.
2. She led him on by going to Wales to record new songs, then shitting over them and the band by leaving taking away any chance the album would be accepted by Pixies fans.
3. If she wants to rejoin the band, she'll convince Santiago and Lovering to let her back in. Pixies fans will hate Thompson if he forbids her to come back.

No wonder he is pissing all over the legacy by leasing out Gigantic to Apple. It is because he is so angry at Kim.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  04:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are some pretty strange/blurry squiggles you're looking between; I think "lines" is far too generous.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  04:58:40  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think some of you are reading way to much into Gigantic being used.

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  08:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

I think some of you are reading way to much into Gigantic being used.

I dunno, it seems like a big middle finger directed at Kim. It was, after all, 'her song'. They don't play it live anymore, and I doubt they ever will, since he sold it for an iCrap advertisement.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  03:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe, but this big middle finger assumes a lot of things that you and I don't know; did they talk about it? Maybe it was her idea? Maybe FB's involvement in the writing of the song is more than we knew. Or maybe FB would do it with his own music (we've seen it licensed for movies, soundtracks, etc) and so it's not a middle finger at all.

All of these assumptions are just that. People who don't know anything about the situation theorizing and then based on those theories, assuming motive and intent.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  04:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you play "Bagboy" backwards at about 2:46, you can clearly hear "Satan is Lord and also, screw you, Kim!"

In any case, "Tame" was once used in a commercial for Smirnoff vodka (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxE69fzw6PY). Who was getting the middle finger there?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  04:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It feels like some people want to remember Pixies as some hardcore punk band with "principles", like Fugazi or something. This just doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and if anything could bring a lot more people to know their music. I dig it.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  05:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Maybe, but this big middle finger assumes a lot of things that you and I don't know; did they talk about it? Maybe it was her idea? Maybe FB's involvement in the writing of the song is more than we knew. Or maybe FB would do it with his own music (we've seen it licensed for movies, soundtracks, etc) and so it's not a middle finger at all.

All of these assumptions are just that. People who don't know anything about the situation theorizing and then based on those theories, assuming motive and intent.

Big middle finger? Gigantic black cock, no?

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1108 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  06:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onyone

haha, thanks. this made me laugh out loud. "but seem like fissile girl man?"

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1108 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  06:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

They don't play it live anymore, and I doubt they ever will, since he sold it for an iCrap advertisement.

i don't see the connection. just because you let an ad use your song, doesn't mean you can't play it anymore.
if they'll never play it anymore, it's going to be because kim's no longer in the band. i wouldn't look for any other reasons.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  06:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This issue barely even counts as controversial anymore. Maybe in 1995, fans would call foul over their precious indie rock heroes licensing music to commercials, but today I think that people are lot more savvy about how this is a business and not many begrudge musicians some honestly made money.

The only exception to this would be if the band was some ultra-poltical, smash-the-system, "down with capitalism" type, which the Pixies definitely are not. The Pixies songs bring no politics and no message whatever, which I say affectionately.

So, in order to buy this idiotic scenario in which Frank is sticking it to Kim Deal here, you have to believe that licensing a song to a commercial is automatically bad, that Frank thinks it's bad (and there's a quote in this very thread where says in plain language that he doesn't) and that Kim Deal thinks it's bad.

Anyway, I can't find the commercial itself, but several sources say that The Breeders' "Cannonball" was used in a Nissan commercial circa 2000 or so.

Edited by - Jason on 05/13/2014 06:31:25
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2014 :  05:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.businessinsider.com/breaking-down-pixes-apple-gigantic-ad-2014-5

iPhone's, Thomson Holidays, Smirnoff Vodka, Dark Souls 2, Visa...Im sure theres a subliminal message there!

Dont go on holiday and drink too much vodka as you could lose your phone. You can use your Visa to buy a new one but it might and darken your soul!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  08:10:54  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who gives a shit? The whole selling out to commercials thing has been dead for years, I'm sure Kim got paid and I'm sure she doesn't give a shit either. It's a pretty lame commercial, but again I ask, who gives a shit? People make too much out of this stuff. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

And on that Freudian note, I think the real story here is that Apple is selling phones with a song about a giant, throbbing cock.

My density has popped me to you.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 05/18/2014 14:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  02:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

And on that Freudian note, I think the real story here is that Apple is selling phones with a song about a giant, throbbing cock.

Spending all your money on overpriced iCrap is just like getting bent over a sink. Kim's ode to Johnnie Keyes defines the Apple experience perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  23:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quite a feather in the cap for the actor they chose to represent Paul at the start of the commercial, don't you think?

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  14:46:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

Quite a feather in the cap for the actor they chose to represent Paul at the start of the commercial, don't you think?

LOL. Yeah I'd say he could call that one macaroni.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  13:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little thing... my brother mentioned that Velouria was used during RTE's World Cup coverage today. And at the risk of sounding a little nuts, I overheard some kids talking about Where Is My Mind? on the bus.

Edited by - Carl on 06/29/2014 13:41:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000