Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  07:56:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eroticvultcha
Says someone who'd likely buy the deluxe limited edition remaster of Charles Thompson's coughs and splutters. The EPs are a blatant money grab. Nothing idiotic about it.

Meanwhile Kim Deal maintains her artistic integrity by releasing 4 7" eps for $7 each. Which means it would cost me $44 including postage to get 8 songs on vinyl. But yeah... "this new incarnation is a cash grab" and "Kim Deal's departure makes complete and utter sense." You're a funny guy

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  07:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:
Originally posted by trevgreg
Yep, and just for the reference here in the thread:

EP3:
1. Bagboy
2. Silver Snail
3. Ring the Bells
4. Jaime Bravo

INDIE CINDY (ALBUM):
1. What Goes Boom
2. Greens and Blues
3. Indie Cindy
4. Bagboy
5. Magdalena 318
6. Silver Snail
7. Blue Eyed Hexe
8. Ring The Bell
9. Another Toe in the Ocean
10. Andro Queen
11. Snakes
12. Jaime Bravo

Is it "Ring the Bell" or "Ring the Bells"? I downloaded the EP, and the filename and tag says "Ring the Bells".

Also, for the 4th track, it says "Jamie Bravo".
So there's no reason to assume it's "Ring the Bells" based on what I downloaded.

And the file type is m4a (lossless alac or something). What?
The first two EPs were just normal wav or flac files.

it's educational

Seems Magdalena has gained 318 too.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just bought the double cd, downloading EP3 right now
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://cdn.stagebloc.com/production/photos/3390/original/20140311_203321_3390_654128.png

I'd use this for tracklisting titles:
Magdalena 318
Ring the Bell
Jaime Bravo
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:09:28  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oui

how is Ring the Bell yarbles?

Ring the Bell is alright. (I'm calling it that instead of 'Bells" because BF sings "bell" - singular - in the lyrics) Very poppy. Haven't really gotten into it yet... I'm still a little miffed about how EP3/the "new" album are being handled to be able to just listen to the new tracks and take them in for what they are.

Silver Snail does sound good on this EP. It is full and atmospheric here, which is a step up from the somewhat sparse live versions.

Jaime Bravo is pretty good too. Poppy and melodic. Ooh oohs and lyrics including "sunlight" and 'this night is almost through"

Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Says someone who'd likely buy the deluxe limited edition remaster of Charles Thompson's coughs and splutters. The EPs are a blatant money grab. Nothing idiotic about it.

You're a funny guy

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Thanks! Deal's EPs are also overpriced, but the production and songwriting are far kinder on the ears, whereas the promotion is far less OTT than what we've seen from Pixies Inc. However, that's just my opinion and you're entitled to voice your own without me branding it as idiotic.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange decision to include all the ep tracks on the album and not have anything unique either way - could have been a bit more exciting with the album tracklisting..
Have ordered the 2cd set anyway and looking forward to it, doesn't feel like we're going to get any more new material before the Field Day festival now.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:15:55  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes me wonder what's happening with the rest of the demos/new unreleased songs...

Still no word on:

1. ALICE PRIN
2. BANKS OF THE DRAIN
3. CLASSIC MASHER
4. LAND OF GREEN
5. LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT
6. O LITTLE CLOUD
7. MUST BE A DEVIL
8. PICKEREL PICKER
9. RATS ALIVE
10. TRANQUILIZE ME
11. UM CHAGGA LAGGA
12. UNA
13. WOMEN OF WAR

Maybe they were just left at the demo stage? Or maybe they'll start a whole other EP/album cycle in the summer/fall?

These can't just be left in the dust, Classic Masher is too good of a track for them not to record and release.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

http://cdn.stagebloc.com/production/photos/3390/original/20140311_203321_3390_654128.png

I'd use this for tracklisting titles:
Magdalena 318
Ring the Bell
Jaime Bravo

Sounds like a good idea.

The EP2 artwork just says "Magdalena" though (twice).

And if the EP3 artwork says "Ring the Bells", then there's another double title.

I'm going to assume that Jaime/Jamie is a typo, only present in the filename and tag of the digital download.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole point of the EPs was to avoid the whole "comeback album" thing, and this seems incredibly lazy to just be like "actually let's put the EPs together and call it a new album". Quite disappointed I have to say. Also, Bagboy on EP3 just adds to this sense of laziness. I've been very supportive of the new songs (bar Another Toe in the Ocean and Snakes, which are quite frankly embarrassments)but why an album now? Like what is the point?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:20:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks! Deal's EPs are also overpriced, but the production and songwriting are far kinder on the ears, whereas the promotion is far less OTT than what we've seen from Pixies Inc. However, that's just my opinion and you're entitled to voice your own without me branding it as idiotic.

I called myself an idiot before calling you out though

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:30:52  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_

The whole point of the EPs was to avoid the whole "comeback album" thing, and this seems incredibly lazy to just be like "actually let's put the EPs together and call it a new album". Quite disappointed I have to say. Also, Bagboy on EP3 just adds to this sense of laziness. I've been very supportive of the new songs (bar Another Toe in the Ocean and Snakes, which are quite frankly embarrassments)but why an album now? Like what is the point?

The point is that if you wanted the new songs on a CD, you can now have them. And if you wanted Bagboy on vinyl, you can also have it. What is bothering you?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ugh, stop. please. let people vent and stop quoting/bringing it up.

back to EP3.

it's coming out on itunes next week? cool. weird they're not debuting with a video.

Edited by - IBreed on 03/24/2014 08:32:42
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:36:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

ugh, stop. please. let people vent and stop quoting/bringing it up.

srry
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to the preview of Bagboy on iTunes (Indy Cindie LP) and they seem to have gotten rid of the 'Cover your Breath/Cover your teeth' lyrics. Is this the same for EP3?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where is your download link pointing to ? For EP1 / EP2, they used some music provider called "topspin". Maybe they have switched to another one... M4A is a lossy file format (EP1 / EP2 flacs being lossless)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:47:23  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel like the timing of this is a little off.... I was expecting the video for Snakes to drop at the beginning of April, and then a month later a new video along with the release of EP-3... That has been the schedule format for the past 2 EPs.

I wonder if Record Store Day pushed the release cycle of the album up... Seems they rushed the release of EP3 out to start promoting the "album" for an April release...
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh hell yes! Didn't even have to wait a full 3 months for the new songs. And if Bagboy had removed the Cover Your Breath stuff I will be ecstatic!
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:54:12  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just listened to the preview of Bagboy on iTunes (Indy Cindie LP) and they seem to have gotten rid of the 'Cover your Breath/Cover your teeth' lyrics. Is this the same for EP3?

The MP3 of Bagboy that came with the EP3 download is the same as the one released for free last year. Very interesting that the iTunes preview omits some of the cover-your-teeths.

This gives me hope that for the actual album they'll go back through the songs and "fix" things (cough cough... COMPRESSION I'm looking at you)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to the songs previews on Itunes, Jaime Bravo sounds fantastic. I can hear a FANTASTIC Pixies song underneath this awful, awful, awful layer of compression/limiting/boost/on steroids/overproduced music.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The point is that if you wanted the new songs on a CD, you can now have them. And if you wanted Bagboy on vinyl, you can also have it. What is bothering you?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Why didn't they just release it as a compilation of the EPs then, as opposed to marketing it as the first new album in 23 years? Come on, anyone on a site like this is obviously a huge Pixies fan but it's hardly a very exciting "new album" if it's made up of songs we now already know.

Frank said in a few interviews that the EPs were to avoid the hype of a new album, but now that the reviews of the new EPs have come in (mostly very negative, unjustly in my opinion) it seems like a good time to finally bring it as a proper full LP? It makes no sense at all from an artistic point of view.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Why didn't they just release it as a compilation of the EPs then, as opposed to marketing it as the first new album in 23 years? Come on, anyone on a site like this is obviously a huge Pixies fan but it's hardly a very exciting "new album" if it's made up of songs we now already know.

Frank said in a few interviews that the EPs were to avoid the hype of a new album, but now that the reviews of the new EPs have come in (mostly very negative, unjustly in my opinion) it seems like a good time to finally bring it as a proper full LP? It makes no sense at all from an artistic point of view.

I can agree with this being an odd collection, seeing as how there is no additional tracks added. That said, there have been a lot of people clamoring for all of this to have been or to be put out as an ALBUM, so maybe this is there way of saying,"Ok, here you go, if you want it all as an album you have that option." I can understand why it doesn't work for people, but the sellout stuff is comical.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree, I'm not saying it's a sellout move or whatever, I just think it undermines the entire logic of bringing out the EPs in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like how could any fan be genuinely excited about the album next month? You'll have EP3 next week and that'll be that.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah I agree, I'm not saying it's a sellout move or whatever, I just think it undermines the entire logic of bringing out the EPs in the first place.

For them, but for the fans who never "took" to the EP idea, this is a more palatable offering. All the songs, in your hand, as a collection. Probably more for the more casual fan who know the name but wouldn't have really heard of or chased down the EPs. But yeah, an extra song or 2 would've been cool. Not feeling the album name either.

edit: I think the excitement for me will be to have it all together. I only downloaded the EPs, so the book and packaging makes it more REAL for me.

Edited by - natenate101 on 03/24/2014 09:08:50
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why didn't they just release it as a compilation of the EPs then, as opposed to marketing it as the first new album in 23 years?

Because The Pixies are a commercial entity. Like almost every other band on the planet. They release records, we buy em.

Fans who thought that EP's were just a little warmup before the "real" album were dreaming.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

For them, but for the fans who never "took" to the EP idea, this is a more palatable offering. All the songs, in your hand, as a collection. Probably more for the more casual fan who know the name but wouldn't have really heard of or chased down the EPs. But yeah, an extra song or 2 would've been cool. Not feeling the album name either.

edit: I think the excitement for me will be to have it all together. I only downloaded the EPs, so the book and packaging makes it more REAL for me.

The accessibility thing is a good point actually, though I still think just calling it "EPs 2013-2014" or whatever would have sufficed for that purpose.

I guess part of my problem is the old fashioned idea of the album as an artist's major output and just mish-mashing a collection of smaller records together doesn't seem to have the same inner workings or balance that we associate with great albums (such is evident in the other four Pixies albums). Also, clearly the didn't want a new album out originally because then you get the inevitable "this isn't as good as Doolittle" comments, but now they're just inviting that alongside a very good reason not to be excited about the record (aka no ~new~ songs).

I take your point about an album making the whole process seem a lot more "real" though.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Why didn't they just release it as a compilation of the EPs then, as opposed to marketing it as the first new album in 23 years?

Because The Pixies are a commercial entity. Like almost every other band on the planet. They release records, we buy em.

Fans who thought that EP's were just a little warmup before the "real" album were dreaming.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think that's a little unfair. I think very very few bands would bring out a "new album" of songs that are all completely out there. I was expecting around 3 or 4 eps and maybe a new album in a few years time. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone was expecting.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

but the album is a dead format picpic. we all agreed on that when they were only releasing EPs. now that the album is coming out, we all agree the album was the purpose all along. right.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:19:45  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha looks like pitchfork's already made up their minds:
http://pitchfork.com/news/54480-pixies-to-release-first-new-album-since-1991-and-its-called-indie-cindy/
"Pixes have announced their first new studio album since 1991's Trompe Le Monde. It's called Indie Cindy (yes, really, I'm so sorry), which is also the name of a track from last year's EP-1. Indie Cindy is comprised of the tracks from EP-1 and this year's EP-2, as well as the just-released EP-3. So at least we know what we're getting into here."

I'm glad for the new EP and LP. Partly because by getting these out, there's more to come sooner than later.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It sounds like they got rid of them for that release anyway. I haven't bought EP3 yet, but it does look like the EP3 tracks are now available for individual purchase on iTunes (along with Greens and Blues for some reason). I might go ahead and purchase the four new tracks now and then wait for the CD release next month.

Edit: The Indie Cindy version of Bagboy still has some of the 'cover your breath...' lyrics present, but not all of the ones given in the original.

Edited by - trevgreg on 03/24/2014 09:27:57
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamie Bravo is pretty damned catchy.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

haha looks like pitchfork's already made up their minds:
http://pitchfork.com/news/54480-pixies-to-release-first-new-album-since-1991-and-its-called-indie-cindy/
"Pixes have announced their first new studio album since 1991's Trompe Le Monde. It's called Indie Cindy (yes, really, I'm so sorry), which is also the name of a track from last year's EP-1. Indie Cindy is comprised of the tracks from EP-1 and this year's EP-2, as well as the just-released EP-3. So at least we know what we're getting into here."

I'm glad for the new EP and LP. Partly because by getting these out, there's more to come sooner than later.

--------
baby poop, curry

Damn, Pitchfork has gone full hate on the Pixies at this point! Haha.

I agree on the last part you said, this will be a good slate cleaner. Then we see what the next movement brings. Good times.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring and Jamie are decent but on first listen i'm feeling like they're a little empty. almost there but not quite. pleasant though. i'll reevaluate soon.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:49:31  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Where is your download link pointing to ? For EP1 / EP2, they used some music provider called "topspin". Maybe they have switched to another one... M4A is a lossy file format (EP1 / EP2 flacs being lossless)

___
"Service Unavailable"

M4A can be lossless, these are in Apple Lossless Codec (ALAC). I have my whole library in this format.

You can make them .wav in ITunes, it's a bit of a pain. You need to set your default codec to .wav and then right click on the file and click "Create .wav version." Then you would lose the tags, I think.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000