Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 My interview with Joey featuring your questions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

brettwb1
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  21:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put in as many of your questions as I could, here it is! Spent 3 hours transcribing/editing tonight to get it done. Joey was awesome to talk to. Thanks for the questions!

http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=42844

Edited by - brettwb1 on 02/06/2014 21:42:41

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT ! Thanks a zillion times !!!!!

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant interview. Thanks for posting!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q:What’s funny because I was interviewing James Iha a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that he loved her.

A:Yeah. Who is he?

Ha ha, giggled like hell when I read that
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interviewer: That’s funny because I was interviewing James Iha a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that he loved her.

Joey: Yeah. Who is he?

---

Ha ha ! Brilliant.

I think everything has been said about KS now. Time to move on !

Thanks again for the interview. Very interesting !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q: Now my final question is about the future of the Pixies. Are you guys in it in for the long haul at this point, do you see yourselves being around 5 years from now? Also what do you think is the future of the bassist situation?

A: 5 years from now hopefully we have 4 more albums under our belt, and hopefully they’re as loved as our old catalog. Regarding the bass player situation, we would be really sad if Paz decided to move on. Because she is a traveling minstrel, we hope she would stick around. We can’t control that, so I can’t even answer that question. I can only say that we want to record new albums, but we can’t control who is going to be ‘the’ bass player. But I’ll tell you now, we’re fully enjoying her.

Sweeeeet! You did a great job on that interview, coaxing out lots of interesing bits of info!

Edited by - Sprite on 02/06/2014 23:57:52
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  23:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we were reading this interview simultaneoulsy picpic!
Go to Top of Page

nadavatik
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  01:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is cool:

'We actually don’t have a setlist any more, we always do the first [couple] songs. It’ll always be Bone Machine, Wave of Mutilation. From there it’ll change. Just those two songs are the only ones we’re going to do [for sure]. Just so the sound man can set up and hear the room with people in it. Then the rest of the time Charles will just call them out.'
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  02:05:42  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding interview Brett! When you get "Good Questions" from the person being interviewed you can be sure you did a great job.Joey didn't get bored with the same old questions we have read a million times.Glad many forum members participation was vital in creating this wonderful to read interview.Good job Brett and much success in your future interviews.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  02:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding job and I must agree, all of the questions were along the lines of what a fan of the band would ask. That made for every answer being interesting. Thanks!

So Ring The Bell was one of the original 5 tracks eh? Interesting.

I like his point about needing a producer to reign each of them in, definitely seems reasonable considering their communication issues. I wonder if a Phil Ek or David Fridmann would be considered?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  03:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic interview. Thanks for stopping by!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  04:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit disappointed that he doesn't think people want to hear "Trompe Le Monde" or "Space I Believe in".

He's probably right, though. Most people don't care about those. But I'll dieeeeee to hear them live once again (and i'm sure i'm not the only one !).

I know Frank does not like those "play this one", "play that one !" injunctions, so let's not bother them anymore. I'm more than pleased with what the band is doing now, so I'm already thrilled.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  06:45:28  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work, this honestly made my day tops.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  07:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great stuff, brettwb1. thanks for thinking to ask the community and following up so quickly.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  07:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also very interesting about the tracks that helped coax kim into the studio. having not heard ring the bells, the other four are some of the best of the bunch. i thought magdalena could have been one of them, but it's cool that frank tapped into that vibe while they were in the studio.
Go to Top of Page

Oui
- FB Fan -

52 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  09:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard a snippet of ring the bells via mr. Francis' vine and it sounded great. I bet if Kim finished the recordings and the release was only those five songs the critics would of been very kind to the pixies.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  10:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oui

I heard a snippet of ring the bells via mr. Francis' vine and it sounded great. I bet if Kim finished the recordings and the release was only those five songs the critics would of been very kind to the pixies.

agreed. that would have been a hell of a comeback. especially had they led with greens & blues.

i should say i guess ring could suck. i don't know.

Edited by - IBreed on 02/07/2014 10:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  12:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Q:What was the extent of Kim Deal’s participation in the sessions before leaving, how much did she get done and were there any songs intended for her to sing on?

A:She never intended to sing on a song, or do vocals on a song. So I don’t know what that was about. Bass part wise they were kind of almost there, because it was just a root. She would change stuff arrangement wise, she would change things. She would come up with bass parts of her own at times. Yeah, that’s it.

Huh? So why did she even show up?

Edited by - Fissile on 02/07/2014 12:37:01
Go to Top of Page

brettwb1
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  12:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he meant sing lead, that's the feeling I got.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  13:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
someone on the board had an unfounded and bizarre theory that greens & blues was written for kim deal to sing lead on. i think that was the impetus for wanting to know if she was going to sing a song (gigantic, silver style). it was a good question though. because it meant joey could have said "yeah, she wrote a song for the band but...". which obviously didn't happen so now we know.

i'm sure had kim stayed in the band she would have done backing vocals. maybe she even did a few and they were deleted.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  15:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ you felt that the notion someone on here had that G&B sounded like something Kim could've sang lead on was Bizarre and unfounded? What's so bizarre about it? It's not my theory but I could easily see what the poster was saying when the comment was made.
Go to Top of Page

brettwb1
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  15:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of unrelated to the interview, but does someone have a live MP3 version of Blue Eyed Hexe that they could PM or email me grungereport @yahoo.com? Working on a live video for a new project I'm working on, but the audio is shit lol.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  15:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

^ you felt that the notion someone on here had that G&B sounded like something Kim could've sang lead on was Bizarre and unfounded? What's so bizarre about it? It's not my theory but I could easily see what the poster was saying when the comment was made.

what do you mean? there was nothing suggesting or supporting it. it was a fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

quote:

what do you mean? there was nothing suggesting or supporting it. it was a fantasy.

Half of the stuff we talk about on here or thoughts we have are bizarre fantasies then I guess. My point is that it really doesn't seem that bizarre of a thought. Kim sings and she that song seems like something that could suite her vocals. A suggestion that Snakes was written for Joey to sing would be bizarre.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  18:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Frank had mentioned something about Greens & Blues being written as a song that could end a show, akin to Gigantic; perhaps this is why someone would think it was meant to be sung by Kim. I don't recall the details of that interview, nor if Frank explicitly said it was written to be sung by Kim but I understand why the idea is out there.

I'd actually like to hear Dave sing on another song; his voice is interesting and is another "secret weapon" Pixies have.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  18:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Half of the stuff we talk about on here or thoughts we have are bizarre fantasies then I guess. My point is that it really doesn't seem that bizarre of a thought. Kim sings and she that song seems like something that could suite her vocals. A suggestion that Snakes was written for Joey to sing would be bizarre.

well there's just as much basis for that scenario as the other.

i'm not sure dave's singing is a secret weapon of the bands, but it's certainly another color in their palette. isn't he doing the low bit in andro?

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  19:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AN: That’s very cool to hear about hopefully more new albums. Thanks a lot Joey, thanks for being honest during this interview and have a good one.

JS: You too! Good questions by the way

"Fundamentally, all writing is about the same thing; it's about dying, about the brief flicker of time we have here, and the frustration that it creates.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  08:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great interview, thanks for doing it.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  03:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

someone on the board had an unfounded and bizarre theory that greens & blues was written for kim deal to sing lead on. i think that was the impetus for wanting to know if she was going to sing a song (gigantic, silver style). it was a good question though. because it meant joey could have said "yeah, she wrote a song for the band but...". which obviously didn't happen so now we know.

i'm sure had kim stayed in the band she would have done backing vocals. maybe she even did a few and they were deleted.

Nah, I just thought it was a good question which hadn't been asked yet. Cheers though
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  05:47:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great interview - very candid. Here's to 4 more albums! Actually lets make it 14!

"A word to the wise is infuriating."
Go to Top of Page

koabac
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  06:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best Pixies interview in a long time. Great job!
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  13:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Half of the stuff we talk about on here or thoughts we have are bizarre fantasies then I guess.

This.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

brettwb1
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  14:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the good feedback. I just finished editing a live video of "Blue Eyed Hexe" from a recent show for a project I'm working on called Concertfy, I'll let you know when that's up! I dig the song even more now having edited it and listening to a live version over and over again.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  00:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man, very good interview!, congrats
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  08:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the tidbit about how the band doesn't play with a setlist anymore. That's how the Catholics did it, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000