Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Question - Was 'Bagboy' recorded before or after?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AdrianHula
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  06:42:38  Show Profile  Visit AdrianHula's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was 'Bagboy' recorded after or before the Gill Norton led sessions that yielded EP1, EP2 and soon EP3?

AdrianHula
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  07:24:43  Show Profile  Visit AdrianHula's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm told it was the very same sessions - but something clearly changed - 'bagboy' sounds utterly different to the rest of the material recorded. Kim wasn't on it, so it's not that. Was it the first song recorded or something after she left? Was 'Ding' present on the rest of the material but not 'Bagboy'?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  07:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianHula

I'm told it was the very same sessions - but something clearly changed - 'bagboy' sounds utterly different to the rest of the material recorded. Kim wasn't on it, so it's not that. Was it the first song recorded or something after she left? Was 'Ding' present on the rest of the material but not 'Bagboy'?

Pretty sure Ding played on Bagboy as well, though I agree it sounds different than the other Wales tracks we've heard so far. Odd.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  08:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is bagboy a demo, and are the other songs we've heard more worked on, "finished"? or did i make that up?

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 01/25/2014 08:03:19
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  08:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep going back to Joey's guitar. It's much more like Bam/Ain't and all wonky sounding like Surfer or Doolittle. In fact, that's part of the reason I thought it didn't come from the Norton sessions. You get doses of that in the other songs, the solos for Blue, Indie, Snakes... but it seems less 'everywhere'. We know Norton was "guiding" Joey in his playing (telling him to not do whatever it is he was doing on Another Toe, 'scoring' Andro/Magdalena).

I love Joey just doing his natural thing. No disrespect to Frank's great songs (Joey needs them), but J's guitar playing is like 65% of what I love about the Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

AdrianHula
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  08:17:35  Show Profile  Visit AdrianHula's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

I keep going back to Joey's guitar. It's much more like Bam/Ain't and all wonky sounding like Surfer or Doolittle. In fact, that's part of the reason I thought it didn't come from the Norton sessions. You get doses of that in the other songs, the solos for Blue, Indie, Snakes... but it seems less 'everywhere'. We know Norton was "guiding" Joey in his playing (telling him to not do whatever it is he was doing on Another Toe, 'scoring' Andro/Magdalena).

I love Joey just doing his natural thing. No disrespect to Frank's great songs (Joey needs them), but J's guitar playing is like 65% of what I love about the Pixies.

That's the thing, I assumed it didn't come from the Norton sessions, it has none of the Norton sounds 'Bossanova/Trompe Le Monde' have and which all the remaining material heard so far definitely does - anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  10:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody care? (at this belabored point?) hope not. haha Just enjoy, me buckos!
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  10:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure, but it was the first demo I heard at the beginning of last year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  11:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

Anybody care? (at this belabored point?) hope not. haha Just enjoy, me buckos!

i do like the idea of this discussion board turning into us all just posting new adjectives for "positively loving!" the music everyday.

monday: awesome. tuesday: fantastic. wednesday: killer. thursday: orgasmic. friday: good.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  11:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

Not sure, but it was the first demo I heard at the beginning of last year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN

well was it the same recording?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  12:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to an earlier post by TRANSMARINE "Bagboy was basically the demo with a few dubs thrown on top". Plus Frank has said the music for this piece has been around a while, ever since they were thinking of doing a movie soundtrack (or something like that anyway).
Go to Top of Page

AdrianHula
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  22:47:04  Show Profile  Visit AdrianHula's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

According to an earlier post by TRANSMARINE "Bagboy was basically the demo with a few dubs thrown on top". Plus Frank has said the music for this piece has been around a while, ever since they were thinking of doing a movie soundtrack (or something like that anyway).

Cheers, that more or less answers my question. Loving the new material and Gil obviously has done a lot for the band - but isn't it time for them to look elsewhere, to offer themselves new opportunities, take more risks? That's assuming of course they write and record new material after these EPs.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  07:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
seems like they've taken plenty of risks with this music.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  08:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed a lot of folk moan about its simplicity but it's got a great groove to it.

One thing bothers me with the press on this song- no way could any studio manipulation/ pitching make Jeremy Dubs sound like a synthetic Kim Deal, that's is a load of bollocks.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  01:09:44  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere on the Internets that Bagboy is a demo, and the other songs we've heard are more worked on, i.e. "finished". I'll find the source and get back to you.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  01:45:55  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Charles said it was pretty much worked up from a demo he did with Jeremy "Kim Deal" Dubbs and Joey in Massachusetts. I can see why it was released as the first single, everyone thought it was Kim singing the chorus and that gave it currency.
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  22:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know whats been said in the press but thats definitely not Jeremy Dubbs, its definitely Kim.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  06:38:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by presley1

I know whats been said in the press but thats definitely not Jeremy Dubbs, its definitely Kim.

Oh my golly!

No way is that Dubbs. No way in hell. Besides, if he could somehow mimic her voice to an absolute fucking T like that, why wouldn't he do it on every song?

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  15:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I agree that despite the protests that's Kim Deal.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  17:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Makes no sense. Why would she allow it to be used, and why wouldn't they then promote it as her if it was? Not buying it.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  15:19:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

Makes no sense. Why would she allow it to be used, and why wouldn't they then promote it as her if it was? Not buying it.

I think it's more unlikely that one of the most inimitable female voices in music was somehow nailed on one recording, on purpose, by a man, then abandoned or not tried on the others. It's probably just uncredited, and there's a nudge and a wink accompanying all parties' assertion that it's not her. It was released right after she quit. She probably said, fuck it, just use it, but I'm off everything else. Kind of a Paul is dead thing.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/21/2014 15:23:45
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  16:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

quote:

I think it's more unlikely that one of the most inimitable female voices in music was somehow nailed on one recording, on purpose, by a man, then abandoned or not tried on the others. It's probably just uncredited, and there's a nudge and a wink accompanying all parties' assertion that it's not her. It was released right after she quit. She probably said, fuck it, just use it, but I'm off everything else. Kind of a Paul is dead thing.

Don't think so.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  02:11:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

quote:

Don't think so.

Okey Dokey. Looks like we disagree.

Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  02:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what I thought - uncredited and an in joke by saying Dubbs did it.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  07:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CONSPIRACY:

"Cover your breath, polish your speech" = Frank's message to the people who worked on the song to not breath a word about Kim Deal's involvement in the song and to lie when asked.

More facts: "Bagboy" was not recorded in "Wales" by "Gil Norton". NEWS FLASH: Gil Norton does not exist. He's a made-up person. Also, Wales does not exist. It's a made-up country. Gil = gills. Wales = whales. Underwater. The sea. That's where "Bagboy" was recorded, in a underwater bunker where Kim Deal is still being held and is unable to tell the truth about "Bagboy" (because if that truth got out, the ramifications would be major).

"Oh, but Kim Deal went on tour with the Breeders last year!"

Please. Kim and Kelley Deal are not twins, guys. They're triplets. (The old Breeders song "Only in 3's" is about this.) There's a third Deal sister and THAT'S who's been on tour.

Just think about it. It's true.

Edited by - Jason on 07/24/2014 07:38:24
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  06:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

CONSPIRACY:

"Cover your breath, polish your speech" = Frank's message to the people who worked on the song to not breath a word about Kim Deal's involvement in the song and to lie when asked.

More facts: "Bagboy" was not recorded in "Wales" by "Gil Norton". NEWS FLASH: Gil Norton does not exist. He's a made-up person. Also, Wales does not exist. It's a made-up country. Gil = gills. Wales = whales. Underwater. The sea. That's where "Bagboy" was recorded, in a underwater bunker where Kim Deal is still being held and is unable to tell the truth about "Bagboy" (because if that truth got out, the ramifications would be major).

"Oh, but Kim Deal went on tour with the Breeders last year!"

Please. Kim and Kelley Deal are not twins, guys. They're triplets. (The old Breeders song "Only in 3's" is about this.) There's a third Deal sister and THAT'S who's been on tour.

Just think about it. It's true.

What he said?

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  06:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  11:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a stupid question. Why would it be that way? Because it sounds a bit diferent? It was the first single, AND it has an electonic intro, so I can see perfectly why you would say it was recorder before or after the rest of the songs... And you know what... Maybe it was!!!!!!
But even if it was, it's totally uninteresting!!!

Edited by - Grotesque on 07/29/2014 11:22:15
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  22:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol!
grotesque is on a roll!

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 07/29/2014 22:43:14
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  18:58:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn - I'm sure of it now. I am Bagboy, IMO. Bummer.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/15/2014 16:19:30
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  19:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a KIM-spiracy!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly