Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  12:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more I see/hear Paz's work with "The Entrance Band" "...Circle", "Zwan" and her live Pixies it's so apparent AND exciting to realise that she is a real polished, classically trained musician (bass player). She adds so much . Glad they got her (for now, anyway)

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  12:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She definitely has steez. haha
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  14:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Video interview where they talk about Paz (without her there): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGgURcmFtg
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  19:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks McD real nice. Ya know, I was thinking at Sunday's show that Dave seemed more on fire. Great to hear his comments here. I hope she stays on to record lots w/ them.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  20:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My last comment re: this and no exaggeration. Saw them in Oct w/ Kim S. And having seen them this week w/Paz she def has made a PALPABLE difference in Charles' and Dave's playing. I cant explain well enuf in words, but she is putting new, fresh, exuberant life into the band.
Her musicianship is THAT good and I think Charles knows and, more importantly. FEELS it. Stay!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  21:28:12  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can hear the bass and back up vox now with Paz. Kim S was kinda in the right place at the right time but didn't really deliver.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  22:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'The Pixies have unleashed their first new album since 1991'! What qualifictions do you actually need to be a music reporter these days.

Diggin Dave's Montana Cabin look.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  22:42:07  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When i first saw the interviewer i thought it was Joey. Then i saw Joey standing right next to him. Literally did a double take.

In all fairness Kim S. really brought a lot of energy to the stage and the band from the 5 LA shows I saw with her. It seemed to at least make BF more energized on stage then he had been during the rest of the reunion shows.

No doubt Paz is doing great and they love playing with her, but Kim S. brought something too. Just giving credit where credit's due. I won't see them with Paz though until next month in Vegas and perhaps Salt Lake City though.... but i'm really looking forward to seeing/feeling the new dynamic she's bringing t the band.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  22:42:50  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When i first saw the interviewer i thought it was Joey. Then i saw Joey standing right next to him. Literally did a double take.

In all fairness Kim S. really brought a lot of energy to the stage and the band from the 5 LA shows I saw with her. It seemed to at least make BF more energized on stage then he had been during the rest of the reunion shows.

No doubt Paz is doing great and they love playing with her, but Kim S. brought something too. Just giving credit where credit's due. I won't see them with Paz though until next month in Vegas and perhaps Salt Lake City though.... but i'm really looking forward to seeing/feeling the new dynamic she's bringing t the band.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  02:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was rumored back in 2004 that Paz would replace Kim D on the reunion tour. It may have been what ultimately motivated Kim D to rejoin the band. Looking back, I think taking on Paz back in 2004 would have saved them a lot of drama.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  08:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yarbles, agree about the energy Kim S. brought. I liked her, no doubt. I'm talking strictly about the polished musicianship Paz brings. And when Dave says he feels challenged to step up his game with her and I think he said "intimidated" (in a GOOD way) that's cool. And, not that Frank needs it....it's HIS baby, but it can really lead to good shit. And, hopefully, good new stuff.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  08:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the fact that Sunday was just her 4th show...
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  09:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a fan of her voice and her callepygian charms, shes a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  09:45:55  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpbUPYFhKH4 Her Signature Bass.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  14:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice
Go to Top of Page

bebio
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  18:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while ago, I expressed some doubts about Paz fitting in well within the Pixies' live set, but from what I have seen so far, she's definitely proven me wrong, and I am relieved to say that. I fully take back what I said. I still think Kim S. was more charismatic though. And Paz had some trouble reaching KD's notes in the chorus of Bone Machine, but we're all human. Paz is the better musician here, and I guess that's what the Pixies need right now. Good luck to them, and I hope to see them when they do an East Asian tour.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  19:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all, she's only done FOUR shows so far.
Go to Top of Page

LUTINS
- FB Fan -

France
182 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  06:41:39  Show Profile  Click to see LUTINS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paz playing violin on "Andro Queen" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgmdwE5Y0Y

http://blackolero.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  09:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better than the studio version

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  10:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has this link been posted elsewhere? Who would know... There are some nice band shots and lots of Paz too-

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/01/pixies_launched.html

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  11:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice. thanx
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  14:14:12  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/03/brooklynvegan_s_13.html Paz in SXSW with The Entrance Band.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  05:47:50  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvra5gwH9Y Paz @ SXSW.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  08:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvra5gwH9Y Paz @ SXSW.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

There is no question she has a helluva lot of talent.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  04:29:18  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sym6mE0vIbg Live in Spain recently.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  04:35:58  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzC4deQRgA Live in Portugal.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  12:47:40  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.panacherock.com/artists/the-entrance-band Paz has some tour dates coming soon with The Entrance Band.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  18:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
solid bass player, not a very good singer. Pixies need a better female vocalist.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  18:31:31  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

solid bass player, not a very good singer. Pixies need a better female vocalist.

Unfortunate but true. I for one would rather she stay with the band and see what happens. She's an awesome bassist and one hell of a character (my wife fell in love with her when we saw them in Pittsburgh). She fits like a glove. She obviously brings a great energy to the newly invigorated Pixies and that will no doubt translate to the studio should they decide to go cut one with her (fingers crossed - go knock one out quick and dirty like the Catholics days - Pitch fast and throw strikes).

They can work fucking wonders with autotune and compression these days. Album-wise she can probably squeak by and live who cares - it's too loud and rocking to nitpick.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  03:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a recent interview when Thompson was asked if he missed Deal he replied, "I'm going to miss her voice, it was the only thing that was consistent about her." Ouch.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  14:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what interview ? written ? audio...?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 08/09/2014 14:09:49
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  14:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you want the Pixies to be "the 80's Pixies" forever then yes, indeed, they need a real Kim Deal impersonator. And Paz isn't, that's for sure.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

If you want the Pixies to be "the 80's Pixies" forever then yes, indeed, they need a real Kim Deal impersonator. And Paz isn't, that's for sure.

___
"Service Unavailable"

As a musician Paz is head and shoulders above Deal....MUCH better bass player, and she plays a damn fine violin as well. Paz plays Deal's bass lines better than Deal ever did. True, Paz does not have Deal's voice, but I doubt anyone will notice at a live performance.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  04:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:

In a recent interview when Thompson was asked if he missed Deal he replied, "I'm going to miss her voice, it was the only thing that was consistent about her." Ouch.

Lol; that is ouch worthy.
Go to Top of Page

DwarfUK
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  14:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

what interview ? written ? audio...?

___
"Service Unavailable"

http://more104music.com/news/030030-the-pixies-discuss-fame-breakups/

I know it's not me that bought this up but it's from this interview. I don't think it was meant as an insult though.

Q: But now Deal has left. Is it still Pixies without her?

Santiago: Yeah it’s Pixies, that’s one against three.

Q: Do you miss her presence in the band?

BF: We probably most miss her voice, a lot. I think that was one thing about her that was really consistent.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  16:46:23  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What, Fissile is misquoting people?

For what purpose?

Edited by - hammerhands on 08/12/2014 16:46:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000