Chicago Sun Times interview
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  23:23:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't know if it's been posted already.

http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-entertainment/the-daily-sizzle/black-francis-talks-new-pixies-ep-songwriting-bands-newest-lineup-unveiled-at-riot-fest/

I like that part:
"Q: But success often gets bands out of the vans and into tour buses. What happens then?

A: On the old Pixies records, we were coming out of the band-in-the-van kind of mentality. There was a lot of humor, a lot of quirks in those records that sort of happened through living life. So just making a record 20 years later, sure we brought a lot of experiences but we weren’t exactly in the van were we? Lots of jokes weren’t there. So the record is valid and we brought enough experience to it that it has life. But there’s not a lot of bubbly, weird, kooky energy. That kind of energy comes with time. We’re at the beginning of that process in a way. Which is great place to be. I feel you can never be naïve again. But there’s something about now having to redo it, it feels a little bit innocent, little bit naïve. And that’s a good thing for us. That’s our main calling card, our naiveté, and everyman kind of simplicity — that’s all we got. That’s why people resonate with us. We may be a little kooky but people get it. We’re kind of real."

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  04:05:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, very nice.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  05:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ton of interesting stuff in there. He is talking in circles a bit but liking that they are at the beginning of something, and this isnt a swan song.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  10:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great read. Because they have the new songs this time I think the associated interviews on the tour will be far more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  19:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read this interview after writing a long post in which I posited that perhaps FBF "accepted chaos" and mentally allowed himself to be kept at arm's length from the true nature of some of the lyrics on this new EP.

It would seem from some of his comments in this article that he used that approach on this and other prior occasions and finds it not only completely valid, but somewhat desirable.

That makes me wonder even more about the "meanings" of many of his songs from throughout the years.

I've always felt that he likely worked that way when the mood struck him, and I find it most inspirational and invigorating to hear him wax poetic about that refreshingly insouciant attitude and songwriting method.

This is easily one of the most enjoyable and guileless newspaper interviews with him that I've ever read.

Thanks for the link, Vilainde!

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000