Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Last Splash XX Re-issue Details.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:00:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/03/01/breeders-lsxx-last-splash-reissue-tracklist/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  19:32:53  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks good. wonder if those demos are the same as the demos floating round - i'd assume so.
but a good tracklisting. think i'll be avoiding the vinyl version. i imagine it will not be cheap.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  05:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I think they are assuming people like that album alot more than people actually do.

I expect there will be some interest in this, but it won't be anything like the Pixies reunion tour.

It really is kind of interesting. The Pixies didn't make much of an impression on the general public in the US back in the day, but as the years went by, they amassed a huge cult following. On the other hand, the Breeders were a monster hit right out of the gate and then faded to nothing.

I suspect that the Breeders will have a nice little reunion tour this summer/fall, and that will be all.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  22:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the reissue has been delayed. instead of being released on 23 april, it is now supposed to come out on 13 may.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  03:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the last splash reissue a UK only release?
the american amazon.com only seems to list the UK import on 4AD.

does anyone know?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  15:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I think they are assuming people like that album alot more than people actually do.

I expect there will be some interest in this, but it won't be anything like the Pixies reunion tour.

It really is kind of interesting. The Pixies didn't make much of an impression on the general public in the US back in the day, but as the years went by, they amassed a huge cult following. On the other hand, the Breeders were a monster hit right out of the gate and then faded to nothing.

I suspect that the Breeders will have a nice little reunion tour this summer/fall, and that will be all.

I don't know... Everybody at the DC LSXX show seemed to be singing along with a lot of the songs. I think that album was huge but I think the general public remembers the Breeders as a one hit wonder because they kind of self-destructed after Last Splash for awhile with Kelley's stints in rehab.

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  03:39:23  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oinc-0HtPjE A look into LSXX.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  04:30:31  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17942-the-breeders-lsxx/
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  22:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I seeing this correctly? Is "No Aloha" missing from the "Live in Stockholm" disc? So it was included on that Breeders Digest cd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Stockholm_1994) back in 1995 (?), but now that they're releasing what one might expect to be the full show, they leave it off? How weird. What could be the reason?

What else is missing? I guess that must be the main thing.

They didn't include the single version of "Saints" either. But then they did include the single version of "Divine Hammer".

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 05/21/2013 22:10:22
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  23:18:34  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think you're right about no aloha, which is odd.

however, they do include the saints version off the head to toe ep, which i thought was the same as the single version. that was my impression when i listened to the lsxx the other day, but i haven't gone back to check.

edit: ah, yes wiki says it's the one from the video, and thats the same as the single version.

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  01:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

however, they do include the saints version off the head to toe ep, which i thought was the same as the single version. that was my impression when i listened to the lsxx the other day, but i haven't gone back to check.

ah, yes, that must be it. i didn't know that. but now that i have a closer look to things i find online, both the saints single and the head to toe ep say "produced by j. mascis." so that makes sense.
(i guess i could have listened, but hey, why make things easy?)

in my little online search for releases by the breeders from '92 till '94, i also found a remix of "safari" (included on a compilation album called "volume three"). hadn't heard about this version before. maybe it's not very different from the original version. i'll check it out later.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  02:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe the "no aloha" that was included on the breeders digest cd, wasn't really from the show in sweden?
dunno.
it's definitely odd.
will also look into this a bit more.

i find this here and there: "Tracks were pulled from a radio show that aired on Westwood One Radio Networks (Show #95-34) August 14, 1995."
but then when i look up the tracklist of the westwood one cd, it doesn't make much sense (no "shocker in gloomtown", for example): http://www.discogs.com/Breeders-In-Concert-New-Rock/release/4337930

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  09:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did a bit of checking and stuff...

- the "head to toe" version of "saints" is indeed the same as the single version. thanks for pointing that out.
- i don't immediately hear a difference between "safari" and that "safari (remix)". i'm not sure if it's actually a remix. and even if it is (could be; my ears aren't that spectacular), i can understand why it wasn't included.
- the omission of "no aloha" on the live cd is still odd. no idea why they did that. it doesn't sound like it's from somewhere else when you listen to that breeders digest cd.

here's a scan of the back of that "volume three" cd that claims to contain a remix of "safari".

http://i42.tinypic.com/2112ck1.jpg
if people want to check for themselves, i could upload a flac or an mp3 of the "safari" track off that cd.

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 05/22/2013 09:16:15
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  12:07:25  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

did a bit of checking and stuff...

- the "head to toe" version of "saints" is indeed the same as the single version. thanks for pointing that out.
- i don't immediately hear a difference between "safari" and that "safari (remix)". i'm not sure if it's actually a remix. and even if it is (could be; my ears aren't that spectacular), i can understand why it wasn't included.
- the omission of "no aloha" on the live cd is still odd. no idea why they did that. it doesn't sound like it's from somewhere else when you listen to that breeders digest cd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7qGx4ztGCU Here is the Volume Three Version.
here's a scan of the back of that "volume three" cd that claims to contain a remix of "safari".

http://i42.tinypic.com/2112ck1.jpg
if people want to check for themselves, i could upload a flac or an mp3 of the "safari" track off that cd.

it's educational

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  20:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, do you hear any difference between the "safari" EP version, and that "volume three" version?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  22:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the breeders leave "no aloha (live in stockholm)" off the live cd of lsxx.
during the last nights, there have been massive riots in stockholm.
coincidence? i'd be surprised.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  04:03:51  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.theweeklings.com/pwensink/2013/05/30/the-weirdest-album-to-ever-go-platinum/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  01:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the LP box has been pushed back to September now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BQQ85E0/
"This title will be released on September 2, 2013."

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  13:54:28  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.theweeklings.com/pwensink/2013/05/30/the-weirdest-album-to-ever-go-platinum/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Pretty boring "review", can't believe a journalist was to nervous to speak to Kim Deal.

I met her and Kelley once during a Pixies tour, they were both pretty cool and Kim was making characteristic Kim comments (me: can we get a photo? K: No I don't think so, I'm to hot and sweaty and need a smoke and can't find Kelley and want to go outside; my friend: I'm not a Pixies fan but my wife and friend are so I came up with them to see you. KD: Well aren't YOU a good friend) and Kelley was annoyed at being mistaken for the face of the Pixies.

Joey and Dave were pretty cool. Me: So your heading to Adelaide today, its a bit quiet there. Joey: I heard its pretty cool. (Then he gives the thumbs up). I asked Dave if they were doing a new album "Probably not, but we might".

Black Francis was the silent but cool as fuck man in black and was happy to sign his autograph, even though he was checking his guitar in at the airline counter.

Wow, I digressed a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  00:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got that lsxx vinyl box. it's beautiful.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000