Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  02:37:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice article in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/arts/music/the-pixies-motor-on-without-their-longtime-bassist.html?_r=0

"the band issued the four-song “EP-1” early on Tuesday, the first in a series of mini-releases it plans to put out sporadically over the next 15 months. [...] The band will not say how many more releases are in store, but like “EP-1” they are to come out through the Pixies’ Web site, with no advance notice. The EP’s, with artwork by Vaughan Oliver, the band’s longtime designer, will be available as downloads and as a 10-inch vinyl record."

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  02:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the most entertaining thing he has done since TOTY. It also kind of reminds me of Cult of Ray at times.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:04:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I totally understand the negative reviews. Still, this grabs me more than Bagboy did.

It's a natural follow up to Nonstoperotik not to Trompe Le Monde.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Another Toe in the Ocean' wasn't listed in that original bunch listed on the BMI. Someone here posted a link to its listing the other week.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:12:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Nice article in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/arts/music/the-pixies-motor-on-without-their-longtime-bassist.html?_r=0

"the band issued the four-song “EP-1” early on Tuesday, the first in a series of mini-releases it plans to put out sporadically over the next 15 months. [...] The band will not say how many more releases are in store, but like “EP-1” they are to come out through the Pixies’ Web site, with no advance notice. The EP’s, with artwork by Vaughan Oliver, the band’s longtime designer, will be available as downloads and as a 10-inch vinyl record."

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Great article, 65 million is a lot of money.

Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I totally understand the negative reviews. Still, this grabs me more than Bagboy did.

It's a natural follow up to Nonstoperotik not to Trompe Le Monde.

Ya, it sounds like Nonstop, with more effort put into it, which sounded like Pixies....
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:34:14  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20915

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:34:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like it. I do hear the whole boring punkpopvibe in Another Toe and Andro Queen is also a little too slick in my opinion. But the songs are good and they are trying something new. I appreciate that.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Played this a bunch of times in the car this morning and it only grew on me more. I think this is really good. "Andro Queen", especially, I think is one of Frank's best ballads. It's eccentric and very pretty.

Anyone else notice right away that the EP tracklist is in alphabetical order?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  04:22:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love What Goes Boom, Another Toe is ok. Not sure what intelligence has to do with it, but I do hear a certain Blink 182-quality to Another Toe. I don't consider it an insult, but I can see where you are comming from. Maybe the next ep will have more in store for you.

Go to Top of Page

DwarfUK
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  04:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

Yes, DwarfUK, you did mention that "Another Toe" is shit, but it can't be repeated enough. "Another Toe" is just unforgivable. An insult to the fans' intelligence. We're better than this. And they are so fucking much better than this.

I'm deleting "Another Toe" (which, it bears repeating, is shit) and "What Goes Boom" (which is not quite shit, just boring) from my music library so I can enjoy the other two, "Andro Queen" and "Indie Cindy", which are okay, and may yet grow on me some more, once I get over the shock and disappointment of the Pixies putting out a song that is an ocean of shit.

How sad. I never thought I'd ever feel compelled to delete a Pixies song. <sigh>

Yeah that should have been Another Toe, not Toe in the Ocean. It obviously really made an impression on me.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  04:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

'Another Toe in the Ocean' wasn't listed in that original bunch listed on the BMI. Someone here posted a link to its listing the other week.

I'm guessing this is the BMI track Land of Green, as it appears in the lyrics.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  05:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that they're going to release the EPs with no advance announcement. And I love that they're doing EPs as opposed to traditional albums. There are no rules in the music industry anymore. May as well get weird.

I'd also like to announce to the world that I like "Another Toe in the Ocean" (much hated here, I see, which is fine). I've never knowingly heard Nickelback or Blink 182 so I don't get those references. To me, it's just a nice melodic moment. If I had to compare it to another artiste, I'd go with Richard Barone (old guy reference).
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  05:32:49  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Bowie to me.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  06:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also not the biggest fan of Another Toe, wouldn't say it's an awful song but I'm not that into it. Andro Queen and Indie Cindy both stand out to me, both good songs.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  06:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

I'm guessing this is the BMI track Land of Green, as it appears in the lyrics.

Yeah, could well be the case. There are still separate entries for both, with 'Another Toe...' under Lone Child Music, oddly.

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  11:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This doesn't sound exactly like I imagined it would. I hate the Pixies now.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  11:19:26  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the E.P. listening to it for the 1st time with headphones in front of the San Juan Bay in Puerto Rico it was a joyful experience.There was a wait so long,so long...Totally worth it!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey's latest Vine shows what looks like a rehearsal room, with a list of the songs.

A good few from that BMI list a few months back, along with 'Magdelena 318' too.

Nice to see 'Ana', 'Motorway to Roswell' and 'D=RxT' on the list too.

https://vine.co/v/h5lJxQ510vJ?fb_action_ids=10201743688211380&fb_action_types=vine-app%3Apost&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210201743688211380%22%3A162392033955857%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210201743688211380%22%3A%22vine-app%3Apost%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Edited by - Ziggy on 09/03/2013 13:21:52
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
incredible list
on page 2, i can definitely read:

What Goes Boom (yeah)
Indie Cindy (!)
Greens And Blues (!)
Magdalena 318
Bagboy (impatient to hear it live)
Another Toe In The Ocean (letdown)
Ring The Bell *(BMI list)
Blue Eyed Hexe *
Snales * (don't know this one)
Andro Queen
Silver Snail (yeah!)
Jaime Bravo (BMI list)
Big Prin (should be Alice Prin from BMI list)
+ Winterlong, In Heaven, Build High (!!)

so no Classic Masher in the practice setlist...

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 09/03/2013 13:01:09
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:04:23  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joey's latest Vine shows what looks like a rehearsal room, with a list of the songs.

A good few from that BMI list a few months back, along with 'Magdelena 318' too.

https://vine.co/v/h5lJxQ510vJ?fb_action_ids=10201743688211380&fb_action_types=vine-app%3Apost&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210201743688211380%22%3A162392033955857%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210201743688211380%22%3A%22vine-app%3Apost%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Magdalena 318 Co writing credit with V? Probably,LOVELY and most welcome

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:10:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

incredible list

What Goes Boom (yeah)
Indie Cindy (!)
Greens And Blues (!)
Magdalena 318
Blue Eyed Hexe *
Andro Queen
Silver Snail (yeah!)
Jaime Bravo (BMI list)

--

They have rehearsed like 80 songs or so they said so expect a new setlist every night.That's keeping the legacy for me :-)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the excitement continues! That's a ton of new material they could possible debut. Those of you witu tickets are lucky dogs!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, 'Classic Masher's omission is odd. Particularly since he and Kim Shattuck played it live.

Still, only a week to go!

Edited by - Ziggy on 09/03/2013 13:24:12
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  14:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So "Now" was the answer, apparently. :-)

Fans that are hating on these songs must not have been paying attention the last 20 years. If the Pixies went into the studio and tried to record "Pixies songs" there would be bitching that they were trying to hard to recapture their old sound. The fact is that the Pixies are in their late 40's now and not every song is going to be a fast-paced punkish song with BF screaming. In fact when you listen to Trompe Le Monde (and the dozen FB/FB & TC/BF albums since) this is where they were always going to end up. I'm just happy to hear BF songs with Joey and Dave backing him up again and Gil Norton production.
I will say that I think some of the songs could use female backing vocals. I will also admit that Another Toe In the Ocean is the weakest song (for all those out there that love comparisons, it sounds like Crowded House or Squeeze to me, which isn't bad but isn't like anything they've done before.) I love the other tracks although I think Andro Queen is little over-produced. Looking forward to hearing it live with a full band now. I think it will be better live. LOVE Indie Cindy.

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  14:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder what happened to the Ondi Timoner video? I'd assume that's all been shot ready for the next EP and that the series will be released throughout the world tour. I'd have rather seen an album probably but EPs makes sense with keeping interest in the tour and avoiding the inevitable panning from people who expect the band to sound the same 20 years later that an album would have.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  17:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i loved all these songs new ones on the second spin this morning. listened to the EP 6 or 7 times today.

i love it. definitely a progression from NSE rather than TLM. which, as an avid Frank fan i'm thrilled with.

Another Toe! i'll crank that one to make up for the bitches on here (ie those with differing opinions than mine).

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  20:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the songs on the 1st listen. I'm listening to them for the 2nd time now, and they sound even more interesting. I really don't understand the intense negative reactions, but to each his own. What's really cool is that once again, as almost every time, it's something that's not quite what you would expect. That's been the case with almost every pixies/ Frank Black/ Black Francis release. I take it as a sign that it's a band that's still alive, trying things. If you always play the same thing, you lose your "creative muscles".
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  20:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who don't like this ALSO don't like/don't care about the last several Black Francis records, because this new music is, to my ears, very much a piece with The Golem and Nonstoperotik. This new EP is not a flashback to the 90s.

I think it's cool as hell that the new Pixies record starts with an earnest BALLAD, as opposed to something that tries to compete with "Bone Machine" or "Debaser".

Anyway, "Andro Queen" is pretty much my favorite here. It reminds me of Donovan.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  21:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

incredible list

What Goes Boom (yeah)
Indie Cindy (!)
Greens And Blues (!)
Magdalena 318
Blue Eyed Hexe *
Andro Queen
Silver Snail (yeah!)
Jaime Bravo (BMI list)

--

How did you get all of that from the Vine? Is there a way to pause it? Anyway, good work.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  21:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just took a screenshot

--
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  21:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey

This doesn't sound exactly like I imagined it would. I hate the Pixies now.

-Mickey

My exact sentiments. If the Pixies and Mr. Frank Black Francis cannot keep
Up with my subjective vision, I can no longer be a fan. I Hate the Pixies now,
Too!

Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  22:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha!.....So stoked for this EP!.....Long Live the Pixies. Long Live Frank Black Francis and his Prolific career! This EP is music
To my ears...........Can't wait for more........Much Love & Gratitude...........
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone else read that as 'Shakes' rather than 'Snales'?

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  00:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eroticvultcha

quote:

Does anyone else read that as 'Shakes' rather than 'Snales'?

"I've got my own gas tanks."

Yeah, definitely.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000