Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  03:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to gripe for a minute: When Bagboy was released and a tour announced in which the Pixies would be playing new music, I assumed the announcement of a new album or EP would be forthcoming. We KNOW the songs exist. We've seen the titles registered for publishing rights. We've heard BF play some of them solo live. When Bagboy was released and the tour announced, I thought: "OK. Now they'll release a new song every 2 weeks until the tour, or every month until the tour. But it's now been 2 months since Bagboy!!! When we heard those rumors about a new Pixies video and saw that clip of "Blue-Eyed Hexe" on Vine recently I thought we were right around the corner from a new song, but that was almost 2 weeks ago now. We're now about 2 weeks from the US dates starting up. I'm still hoping that maybe they release a new song right before the tour begins and then release them sporadically throughout the tour or maybe announce an album release once the tour begins. Anybody else as frustrated as I am? Feel like I have the musical equivalent of blue balls. When, Pixies!? When!?

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  05:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their PR guy is doing a fucking atrocious job.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  05:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Director of the new video was starting editing on the 25th. Something should be out soon.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  05:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also incredibly frustrated. You can keep people in the dark for a little bit, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Its almost been a year since we've known about them being in the studio. Releasing bagboy (a song that would be better serviced by not having to shoulder the burden of being THE only new pixies song) and then leaving us with nothing for the whole summer has put a bad taste in my mouth.
Of course I'm looking forward to the next song, but unless it comes with news of an album or something of that sort, I imagine there will be a lot of bitterness, as it could be the only song we get for two or more months.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  06:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree that its been frustrating, but let's keep in mind that most never thought they'd even make new music again. This is really a huge BONUS for Pixies/BF fans. Although the lack of follow-up to Bagboy really seems like opportunity lost, maybe they are sitting back and getting it all "right" before releasing more. I'm still excited to hear whats to come, but it would be niceto have a little more info as to what that may be.

Let's see what comes with the new song/video. Maybe things'll get rollin again once that comes out.
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  06:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another 6 seconds of what sounds to me like Indie Cindy on vine there.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  08:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post the link? I can't find it.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 08/30/2013 08:07:47
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  08:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://vine.co/v/h5zZt7JwEXU

It was through the Actual Pixies twitter
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  08:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooh that sounds over-produced and too soft...
Hope the full track is rawer, more like the Indie Cindy from the BF solo gigs

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  09:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

ooh that sounds over-produced and too soft...
Hope the full track is rawer, more like the Indie Cindy from the BF solo gigs

--

Yeah. I don't know... I have honestly never heard a Pixies song I didn't like at least a little but... It reminds me of the difference between BF's "Rabbits" on Ababubba and "Rabbits" on Nonstop Erotik. They're both good but I like the more raw version on Ababbuba better.

So I thought they were hinting at "Blue-Eyed Hexe" being the next song but who knows now. If they're playing clips for us it seems like these must be finished songs that they're planning to release soon. Maybe they're just going to spring the album on us suddenly... That would be awesome!

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  10:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same for me about "Rabbits"
clearly we have three hints (Um Chagga Lagga video probably, Blue Eyed Hexe, Indie Cindy) + Bagboy
So they could be releasing a 4-track EP :)
Or as you say a full album anytime soon

--
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  14:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

clearly we have three hints (Um Chagga Lagga video probably, Blue Eyed Hexe, Indie Cindy) + Bagboy

--

Who/what said that Um Chagga Lagga would be the video?

I wouldn't mind a new beginning with a 7 song EP ala Come On Pilgrim and then another EP or album after the first leg of the tour. Of course, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a whole album either.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  14:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, that clip sounds freakin fantastic to me. A new side to the Pixies. Hyped right now.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  14:41:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

quote:

--

Who/what said that Um Chagga Lagga would be the video?

I wouldn't mind a new beginning with a 7 song EP ala Come On Pilgrim and then another EP or album after the first leg of the tour. Of course, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a whole album either.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20907 Looking at the new song titles I always like to do some searches about the song meanings and what they are about and like I say I could be wrong :-)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  14:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely doesn't sound over produced; sounds enchanting.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  18:06:16  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dropping an album is irrelevant now, people will download it and listen to it once then move on. Releasing singles and EPs is the smart way to go, and they can tour the new material for two years if they drip feed it out as touring is where they make the money.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  19:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to whatever they release, but I have to agree that I don't understand the whole "secrecy" thing. Why would you not say a word about what you're doing? I mean, it's not like there are national security concerns or anything. It's almost like that moment in spinal tap where there's a guitar that "can't even be looked at" (in the "this one goes up to eleven" scene). On the other hand, who the fuck knows. Maybe it's really tiring to try to make music when everybody is analyzing every little thing you say or do. Maybe it's easier to just agree to not talk about it until it's ready. But yeah, it's pretty harsh to have just one song and then nothing. Hopefully they release a triple CD.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  20:53:12  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Five albums in five years, then one song a decade. I guess its better than nothing.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  08:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw a bunch of tweets between Rockfield studios and Black Francis last night. So whatever was recorded, something was recorded. Which is good news. I guess with the touring about to start and all, maybe we are about to get a lot of music. Exciting!
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  11:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies dont need PR - Bagboy was their PR! It worked most people are foaming at the mouth waiting for the next Pixies fix. Release it too soon its too easy. But with new college semester imminent my guess would be something dropping soon then a Pixies Halloween special...that would be awesome, pixies doing the Cramps. Anyway I digress. Whats to say only 20 new songs are out there? BF retweeted a Gil Norton tweet from 2009 saying preproducing band sound great. OK so theres the BMI list...and the new songs have been on there for ages it seems...but in theory they could be sitting on years worth of unmaterialised material. The lack of news is the news...
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  18:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm patient. They're not holding stuff back to piss you off. I figure there's a good reason.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  13:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm frustrated in the sense that I am checking this forum, facebook and twitter feeds much too often for my own good but I also know I've been waiting 20+ years for a bunch of new songs and so a few more weeks or months isn't going to break me.

However I really hope they release the new songs close to the start of the tour because I really want to the hear them as recorded and not trying to resist watching live clips on the web.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  20:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

Anybody else as frustrated as I am?

I'm not.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  21:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahaha, great. And just then I get an email about four new Pixies songs.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  21:25:38  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/ep1-us-detail/

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  22:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4-track EP : I guessed right :)

--
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  23:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/ep1-eu/

Whoa. Fucking €36 for a vinyl EP!?! They sure know how to rip fans off. Edit: This was corrected below.

Well, I've just dropped €4 on some lossless digital and I'm going to give it my first listen in three minutes when my download finishes...

Edited by - McDutchie on 09/07/2013 10:26:56
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  23:20:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You get a shirt too! It's 23 euro's for the vinyl and downloads to your doorstep in Holland. For something that limited, I 'm willing to pay that.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  23:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, 23 euro is fine for me too.
it isn't exactly cheap for a four-song ep, but i really want to have this, so i don't mind paying a bit more. it's not like they're taking the piss.

i wouldn't say this is *that* limited though. maybe i'm wrong. do you think this will sell out in a couple of days? (i don't.)

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  23:38:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do, but maybe it will take a week or two. 5000 isn't that many.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  00:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's more expensive than the usual 10", but maybe the packaging is really nice. I don't know. Either way, I bought it. It will sell out fast, I think. Ebay profiteers are going be all over this.

Just finished my first play of the download. I like it. It's not Dootlittle II, it's midtempo, and Frank doesn't unleash the scream--and that's going to bother some people, but, taken on its own, these are really nice songs. They sound like Black Francis songs, the follow-up to The Golem and Nonstoperotik. That's what I was expecting though and that's cool with me.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  00:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

It will sell out fast, I think. Ebay profiteers are going be all over this.

ah, yes, those guys.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

musefreek
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  01:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This EP is completely shit. Not even average at best. The tunes are totally forgetable and don't have any punch whatsoever.

I won't even bother listening to it again.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  01:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey & Dave are on fine form. Indie Cindy has a lovely pop chorus. Overall, though, the songs just aren't up to scratch. Too many fake-y spoken word vocals, not enough of that giddy yelp we loved on the first five records. Andro Queen, Another Toe and What Goes Boom are sorely missing the female backing vocals.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  01:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all right, first listen done. comparing and contrasting with prior Pixies finds more differences than similarities, but approaching it with the "charles+joey+dave, yeah let's do this" mindset i like it a lot. FB wants to make music? i'm there, obviously. these two guys want to be along for the ride? of course i welcome it. melodic tunes. keep it coming, fellas.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

DwarfUK
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  02:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toe in the ocean = Shit. All the others are OK but I agree with McDutchie, their just isn't a stand out amazing song. The fact that a little sample of Blue Eyed Hex is (to me) more interesting than all of these songs is a pretty bad sign.

Did I mention that Toe in the ocean is shit?

Edited by - DwarfUK on 09/03/2013 02:32:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000