Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2022 :  16:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started the Staircase, loving it. Reminds me of the Undoing.

If I haven't already recommended the Robin Williams film "World's Greatest Dad" let me do so now. It's been a long time since I've been blown away by a movie like that. Parental Guidance Suggested.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2022 :  22:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh I hated that movie.......

The Staircase is so weird. I find the recent trend of IMMEDIATELY turning real life stories into campy TV shows to be kind of icky and strange and grotesque and sort of funny/macabre...there's so much of that lately. I did watch the documentary about this story, which was pretty interesting, but it left out a huge huge huge important thing (THE ANSWER TO WHAT HAPPENED!!!) that I guess I won't say in case that spoils something for you, Bedbug. Post when you're done though because I have a question about the show.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2022 :  11:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most people hated that movie. It’s challenging.

Staircase is a blast. We’re a few episodes in and have no idea where it could go.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2022 :  15:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not find it challenging. I simply hated the film. I was not challenged by it.

Movies watched in the past few months:

Ghost World (2001) (rewatch)
Perfect Strangers (1984)
First Blood (1982)
Morbius (2022)
Repo Man (1984)
Desperate (1947)
Top Gun (1986)
Trancers (1984)
Easy to Love (1934)
His Girl Friday (1940)
Miami Connection (1987)

In theater:
Inland Empire (2006)
Dawn of the Dead (1978, 3D)
Tenebre (1982)
X
Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Fourth of July
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2022 :  01:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked the soundtrack too. "Why are we listening to this?" "Because I like Bruce Honsby."

Inland Empire in the theatre must have been fun.

And the first episode of The Rehearsal is out, and wow.... don't even know what to say about it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2022 :  07:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what to say about it. I know Tricia, the woman from it. I was in shock the entire episode.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  07:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I know what to say about it. I know Tricia, the woman from it. I was in shock the entire episode.

Wow that's interesting, would love to hear more.

Can't wait for the second episode.

And finished The Staircase. I would give it two thumbs up, but I wouldn't say I loved it. It keeps you guessing and has some genuinely shocking moments, but when 8 episodes seems too long you know they are doing something wrong. Contrast that with Twin Peaks which was about a billion episodes too short.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  14:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, so did they go into the owl thing?? Because the Netflix documentary left it out and just made it a little youtube deleted scene. Which is insane because it's extremely likely it's the god damn answer to what happened. How could they leave it out?

I saw the owl in the trailer so I'm extremely curious what the show said about it.

As for The Rehearsal. I work with Tricia at my job as a background actor. I've talked to her many times and just saw her last week. She is exactly like in the show and I was just laughing and in disbelief the entire episode.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 07/23/2022 14:13:58
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  15:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed the owl is a big, big deal in The Staircase. We were picking our jaws up off the floor the first time it makes an appearance. Loved it. Second best owl-related TV show I would guess. I can say more if you want, but yes, short answer, lots of owl in the HBO series of The Staircase.

That's so funny about the Rehearsal. We can't wait for the second episode. It would be great to see you on an episode Trouble!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  16:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That actually makes me want to watch it. Wow!!

The second episode of The Rehearsal is incredible. My goodness.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  20:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saw Nope. Very disappointing. My fiance loved it though.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  12:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They HBO redoing of Westworld is terrific.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  21:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stopped watching Westworld about four or five episodes into season 2...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  01:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven’t made it that far yet
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  17:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh so sorry...Thought you were watching the new season. I don't normally like to poopoo on a show someone's just watched.

Season 1 is really good, yes...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2022 :  11:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody seen Lynch/Oz yet?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  15:36:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This weeks Better Call Saul episode is titled "Breaking Bad". Breaking Bad also had an episode (s2e8) called "Better Call Saul".
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2022 :  16:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was extremely good.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2022 :  23:39:11  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was all over the place. I like the black and white stuff though I think it deserves a whole season or series to itself. Other than that I have no idea what the plot is anymore or really care that much at this stage because there's only one more episode to go. I think Slippy Jim will die at the end, which is fine because he isn't really a very nice person it seems.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  02:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed that episode a lot. Sad that we are near the end.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  02:58:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we could do with another season about Jimmy's life post Breaking Bad.

I predict another spin-off series with Pinkman, Badger and Skinny Pete - at least that's what I'm hoping for.

(Mind you Pinkman's supposed to be in Alaska now - so not sure how this would work - it's TV though so anything is possible)

Edited by - pot on 08/04/2022 03:03:31
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  03:26:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aparently Better Call Saul are facing a lawsuit for trademark infringement from some organisation called Liberty Tax - for the show's fictional portrayal of the criminal business Sweet Liberty Tax Services in ep 2 of this season.

No doubt this is probably a ploy to raise the profile of their company and increase their customer base - which ironically is akin to some of the dirty tricks Jimmy McGill would use.

Edited by - pot on 08/04/2022 03:33:59
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  10:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

It was all over the place.

It wasn't though...It was making a point about Jimmy, and very focused on that point. All of the scenes were about that.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  10:36:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by pot

It was all over the place.

It wasn't though...It was making a point about Jimmy, and very focused on that point. All of the scenes were about that.

Nah seriously man, I was starting to wonder if I watching an episode of Quantum Leap or The Twilight Zone.

I'd already figured out that the character of JImmy was a bit of a twat?

I'm not saying I didn't like it but I've always felt watching this spin-off series: What's the point in it? What's it adding to the BB universe? What is it about lawyers or Mexican Cartels?

Just feels like a bit of a Breaking Bad wank-fest, not that I'm saying I don't appreciate that element but it just seems as a show it lacks it own identity a bit and it's just become film art.

Edited by - pot on 08/04/2022 10:40:39
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  12:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree that the cartel stuff feels like it should have been a totally separate show. I just see the show as a character study about Jimmy, and I love character studies. This latest episode was one of the harder hitting points about that character study, so I didn't find it all over the place. I found it be very laser focused in one place.

I sincerely don't know what you mean by "film art", genuinely. Not being argumentative, I just don't understand what you're saying.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2022 :  13:06:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I mean it's arty - like an art movie but it's a TV series (with the same aspect ratio as a film) that's all - not saying there's anything wrong with that, just didn't understand a lot of the subtelties that were no doubt there in some scenes because it's a while since I watched many of the previous scenes they were refering to.

I also have an aversion to non-linear plot progression and flash back scenes in general. Kubrick had exactly the right idea there. I'm basically a linear plot development Nazi.

Edited by - pot on 08/04/2022 13:19:16
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2022 :  21:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see it being "an art movie" at all. It's very plot driven and the storytelling is generally clear and direct.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  03:34:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can you say this isn't more art than plot? Just caught the last episode - really enjoyed it and even though it jumps around like a frog in a tumble drier I still got the gist - he's a con man and a total scumbag. Copy that. Everything these guys do is like a cryptic puzzle - only reason I can think of that they chose to produce the show this way is for the art. BB was quite arty, or just well shot (to say it's art might be slightly hyperbole there). This isn't necessarily a negative critique either I do like good arthouse films with completely unfathomable plots - you can just forget about plot and focus on the individual scenes and gain a more in-depth insight into the characters etc. This is how I kind of see BCS; or what it sort of became in the last season anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  04:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just seems like very round about storytelling, I don’t know about “art” though
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  04:53:45  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh come on, it's totally art house cinematography wank fest material, Maybe I'm just used to watching more trash TV than you guys?

Look! The Internets agrees with me

https://www.wsj.com/articles/better-call-saul-refined-television-11659720932
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  06:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did they say the same thing about Sopranos? I didn’t get that impression either.

But yes, I can appreciate the artistic beauty of Saul.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  13:22:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought "the Kim scene" was a bit cringe - I'd have just cut that scene out or edited it heavily or just shot the scene different alogether
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2022 :  08:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

How can you say this isn't more art than plot?

Because the show is basically all plot. Is this that me and you have different definitions of "art" or "arty"? I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Vince Gilligan and co., for the most part, are storytellers and write extremely plot heavy television.

Are you just talking about like, camera angles? Because it's in black and white? That isn't exactly "arty", it's just a very clear, direct storytelling device, so the viewer is situated in the time period.

I seriously don't understand. The last few episodes have been plots. Stories. And every moment in every episode has been another step in those stories developing. There's been no artsy filler or what have you.

But again, perhaps I'm not getting your meaning.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2022 :  10:38:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah camera angles and that - attention to fine detail like composition. It can be both art and plot simultaneously. I consider the cryptic nature of the plot development also part of the art.

Edited by - pot on 08/10/2022 10:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2022 :  16:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Should films and television, a visual medium, not have shots composed with care and attention to detail? Now I'm even more confused!

Fair point about how cryptic Saul is. The show's prime MO, which really only hit me recently, is to leave viewers totally in the dark for a good third of the entire episode, only to have Saul's (or Gus or Mike's) plan gradually reveal itself. I don't consider this "artsy" so much as crafty storytelling. Vince Gilligan has said he learned from Chris Carter on the X-Files to fashion stories in a way where "the audience NEEDS to know what will happen next."

I love it, but I could also imagine some may find it frustrating, especially when that trick has been deployed many times over and we're all kind of in on the tactic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000