Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  18:23:46  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi

it's been awhile since i've posted here. i suppose there hasn't been too much to talk about since pixies have been quiet since 2011 and i can't recall having released any records in the last 6 months. however, i have been playing a few solo shows, have done a few interviews, and have observed a bit of speculation here and there about all of the usual. i suppose i can answer a few questions here for those in the loop on this forum; i can't answer everything, which i know is a constant source of frustration for some fans. all can say is

1) there is frequently nothing "new" to report or
2) it's not appropriate to comment on something simply because someone asks the question

i'm honored that my career as a cult rock performer and writer would cause as much speculation as it does. that speculation is, of course, wildly incorrect most of the time, whatever that is worth. always has been, always will be, and there's nothing i can do about it. the internet is the largest bathroom wall in the world, and this is my latest scribble there...

bf

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  19:04:48  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good day Charles.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  21:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
How many demos did you record with Jeremy Dubs? How would you describe them? Will you record Andro Queen, Silver Snail and I'm In Love With Your Daughter with Paley?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  21:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good morning!

will we see and hear you in Europe too? would be good, precore style or full Catholic style (yes, please!).

the sound nerd in me is still intrigued by the surf sound of Havalina- do you remember the equipment used on that recording?

i wonder about the attractions of painting, it seems a lot of artists who start as musicians also turn to painting, is it an easier or attractive form of expression compared to music because of more control, i.e. not having to convey it to the rest of the musicians, rely on them, on every venue details etc.?

i'm not gonna go all abba and thank you for the music but look very much forward to more of it, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  01:07:55  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for visiting Mr.Black.Will there ever be a full band version of Demon Girl?

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  01:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

Can you tell us anything about the recent demos/recordings you did in Wales?
You also seem to be taking your time with your next album (not countting your 'I am the Walrus' colaboration with Reid Paley). Is it close to being done, regarding having the songs for the album, or are you still working on ideas for it?

Thank you for all the great music over the years.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  01:38:14  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) What's an ishist?

2) Have you ever thought of covering Sunday Morning Coming Down? If not, why?

3) Are there any studio demos of Everyone Is Wrong out there? Have you guys ever tried to record it?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  04:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon!

1. Could you name some painters whose work you enjoy? I'm liking your foray into Stuckism but I hadn't come across the movement before then.

2. Any plans to revive the precore thing? I know I'd love to see you outside St. Stephen's Green in Dublin again.

3. A lot of your contemporaries (Dino Jr, Bob Mould, Yo La Tengo etc.) are still going strong - if you could assemble a 'dream band' consisting of indie-rock luminaries to play with who would you pick?

4. The new Nashville record - how far does the collaboration with Paley extend? As in, are all the lyrics/music composed by yourself or did Paley have much input?

Edited by - The Maharal on 02/23/2013 05:18:55
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  04:14:31  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

hi
How many demos did you record with Jeremy Dubs? How would you describe them? Will you record Andro Queen, Silver Snail and I'm In Love With Your Daughter with Paley?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

I'm not sure how many songs I've recorded with Jeremy. Lots. He's been a resource for me of late. My wife, Violet has been recording a lot with him lately, too. We're hoping to all do something with R. Stevie Moore. Me and Paley are working on something else with a different group of people. All those songs you mentioned are songs that I've recorded for one reason or another and I've tried a few of them out in my love solo shows to see how they feel in front of an audience. It wouldn't really make sense to start telling which songs go with which project because that would be premature unless a release was gonna be like, next week or something!

bf
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  04:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Marshall Crenshaw? How would one go about requesting some sort of Marshall and Frank team up? I think it could work. Frankly, I'd even second the Sunday Morning Coming Down suggestion as a good place for you guys to start.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  05:18:09  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey man! thanks for holding court

1) any chance of a Bluefinger or SVN FNGRS vinyl? (Christmass is an amazing vinyl re-release, thanks very much!)

2) thanks for everything, have a good tour, and I've made 30" of shelf space available for the Catholics box set

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  08:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you have a good hangover cure you recommend?

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  09:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you keep older songs fresh? Take a song like Wave of Mutilation, you have performed hundreds of times over your career, yet surely there are people in the audience at each show who have only heard you perform it once or twice if it all, so you're still creating first impressions each performance as well as creating comparisons for more seasoned fans. Do you ever think about stuff like that?
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  09:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only question I have and shall always have for our favorite musician is about upcoming material. WHAT and WHEN is coming our way?

But I think it's clear enough that he is not overly fond of commenting on that, which I understand. Should he ever drink one too many and feel like blabbering, the question is here, duly asked. I promise not to tell anyone.

Edited by - lucmove on 02/23/2013 09:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  09:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar question to Velvety - did the recording sessions in Wales with Joey produce an album, and if so when might we start hearing about it? Was Gil Norton involved?
Thanks for coming by to answer some questions. For what its worth I think the albums you have released under the Black Francis name have been stellar.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  17:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you tell us a little about Wild Son. Don't think I've been more intrigued about one of your songs.

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  18:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It my understanding that Hurricane Sandy has drowned hundreds of thousands of New York City rats after all the subway tunnels and basements were flooded with sea water. If the Pixies record a new album, would you consider calling it "Ratpocalypse".

Edited by - Fissile on 02/23/2013 18:20:02
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  23:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the revisit here Frank!

What is the status on the FB & The Catholics box-set? Are we getting closer?

Australia missed out on all the Catholics touring back in the day too - any likelihood of getting FB+C back on the road and hopefully to Oz one day too? I would love to see Der Golem live also, but I guess that would be not so likely. Looking fwd to your next release/s whatever they may be... :)

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Antonho
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  00:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles,

Not very original, but I'd just like to know if a follow-up to Trompe Le Monde is coming this way.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  02:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. What's up with the Catholics Boxed Set? Interested in a short tour with them?

2. What's up with Red Letter Days?

3. What's up with the Jaguar? Chromey B Telecaster?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  04:53:03  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

good morning!

will we see and hear you in Europe too? would be good, precore style or full Catholic style (yes, please!).

the sound nerd in me is still intrigued by the surf sound of Havalina- do you remember the equipment used on that recording?

i wonder about the attractions of painting, it seems a lot of artists who start as musicians also turn to painting, is it an easier or attractive form of expression compared to music because of more control, i.e. not having to convey it to the rest of the musicians, rely on them, on every venue details etc.?

i'm not gonna go all abba and thank you for the music but look very much forward to more of it, thanks!

I don't have European dates actually booked at this writing, but I can say there is an actual plan to go to Europe this this year.

I don't remember the equipment used for Havalina (ask Gil Norton), but I remember the studio was in Burbank, CA; the studio is no longer there, but the coffee shop where I probably composed the lyric is still there! Musicians probably turn to painting because they instinctively understand the personal connection that creative energy make in that context; but i also think that everyone has something to express through painting; it is probably the oldest art form and pre-dates any fussy concepts we all have developed about the art over the centuries.

bf

Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  04:55:02  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

Thanks for visiting Mr.Black.Will there ever be a full band version of Demon Girl?

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

I don't know, but I do like that song. I haven't done a solo band in a few years now. glad you dig.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  05:05:00  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

Hi Frank,

Can you tell us anything about the recent demos/recordings you did in Wales?
You also seem to be taking your time with your next album (not countting your 'I am the Walrus' colaboration with Reid Paley). Is it close to being done, regarding having the songs for the album, or are you still working on ideas for it?

Thank you for all the great music over the years.

I suppose that these days some musicians are so busy updating their internet presence (myself included at times) that there is a desire to maintain some privacy over the process somewhere. If you can imagine, my every public utterance or performance is potentially being uploaded as soon at happens. And while I understand that from a fan's perspective the desire to know what is going on with an artist is natural, what happens in a studio or rehearsal space is private, with the RESULTS being what is important. Sometimes there is period of months or even years assess these results. Wales is a magical place.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  05:07:55  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

1) What's an ishist?

2) Have you ever thought of covering Sunday Morning Coming Down? If not, why?

3) Are there any studio demos of Everyone Is Wrong out there? Have you guys ever tried to record it?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

1. I suppose an ishist is one who heavily into isms.

2. don't know that one

3. yes, there is a demo of that. I couldn't tell where it is off the top of my head! I think it was done on a bbc radio session from the period.

bf

Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  05:21:25  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Good afternoon!

1. Could you name some painters whose work you enjoy? I'm liking your foray into Stuckism but I hadn't come across the movement before then.

2. Any plans to revive the precore thing? I know I'd love to see you outside St. Stephen's Green in Dublin again.

3. A lot of your contemporaries (Dino Jr, Bob Mould, Yo La Tengo etc.) are still going strong - if you could assemble a 'dream band' consisting of indie-rock luminaries to play with who would you pick?

4. The new Nashville record - how far does the collaboration with Paley extend? As in, are all the lyrics/music composed by yourself or did Paley have much input?

painters...Picasso, of course. Remedios Varo. Paul Delvaux. Joe Machine. Charles Thomson. Elsa Dax. Paul Harvey. Gerda Wegener. Gustav Klimt, to name a few.

that pre-core thing was so fun. Certainly the one in Dublin was OVER THE TOP. A highlight in my career, no less. I would love to do it again. With The Pixies? You think it would work in a band situation? I love watching musicians on the street. It's as primal as painting.

Not sure I understand your nashville question, but I am in the process of doing another record with Reid. We're mostly at the writing stage, but we have a lot of other stuff recorded at other sessions, for example, that remain unreleased. I'd love to do record of Paley songs. I think he a great writer. I think that some people understand his greatness. I think there are others who don't understand Reid because they are passive music listeners (which is not a criticism) and so it's harder to tune certain wavelengths (mine included).

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 02/24/2013 05:38:46
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  05:26:28  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Good afternoon!

I like playing with all kinds of people. it's hard to say about the whole dream band thing. People assemble those sometime, but really, when things happen more naturally, they tend to work better. It's fun to try, but really the best band is just a group of people in the right place at the right time; something you can't predict or plan.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  05:36:54  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

prevention is the cure
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  05:51:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R Stevie Moore is such a great writer, that I discovered by coincidence 5 years ago. I'm still catching on. When did you discover him and how?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

nomenclature
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  06:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question for Frank is pretty simple, but it's one that I've always wondered:

What's it like to create something that's so revered? I can't imagine what it must be like to have millions of people around the world (including myself) continually obsess about music that you wrote in your twenties. Do you comprehend the level of intensity in their adulation of your songs, or do you just think it's weird and incomprehensible? I guess what I'm asking is: do you see why your songs are so fascinating to people, or do you just see them as some silly little songs you wrote when you were younger?

Edited by - nomenclature on 02/24/2013 06:36:35
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  07:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank. Will we have the pleasure of hearing a full band studio recording of That Burnt Out Rock and Roll and The Water any time soon?

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  07:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

There was a fun video of you playing 'Corinna' with Spanish for Hitchhiking a few months ago. Lots of songs from 'Non Stop Erotik' and the Nashville albums have never been played in concert... will you ever revisit them?

Glad you like Wales, too. Some lovely venues here for when you're next in Europe!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  07:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering my earlier questions. Reading your thoughts about the Dublin precore I get a silly feeling of pride since I recommended the St Stephen's Green bandstand on the old bf.net message board. I'm sure it would be cool to see a band doing it too - the Violent Femmes sure did it.

Can we get more details about your contribution(s?) to the Slim Dunlop benefit recordings? Are you a fan of The Replacements?
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  14:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why Duke of Earl again now?

Edited by - Mac E. Doobage on 02/24/2013 19:12:02
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  15:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you consider touring/recording with the Bluefinger tour band? Nijmegen is an amazing album, that band is excellent! Any reason you haven't played with them since?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by floop

prevention is the cure

thanks Frank. that is a smart outlook. honestly. i'm going to steal that phrase

regarding the coffee shop in Burbank, what coffee shop are you talking about? curious because i work in Burbank. [edit: is this also the same coffee shop associated with your writing Los Angeles anecdote?] also, i know it was different in the mid 90's or whenever you lived here, but I'm curious why you were drawn to hangin' out in Burbank. with all due respect, there are cooler areas of LA

also, do you remember Uptown Taco? they had some great carne asada eh?

oh yeah, what do you think is going to win Best Picture? Argo? i didn't see it. what was your favorite film of this past year?

Edited by - floop on 02/25/2013 10:27:02
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  23:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny BF posted this in a Pixies area and nobody dares to ask about the pixies... and I wont either.
I dont even have a question ("do you like the mexican fish'n'chips El Gran Camaron? Because personally i dig it a lot !", that kind of thing), actually the only thing I ever asked about Charles Thompson is "when is the next album coming?" so that limits me a lot as an interviewer.

Edited by - Grotesque on 02/25/2013 01:57:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000