Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  16:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is from Julie Farman's blog. Julie is the ex-wife of David Lovering, and she says some nice things about him.

quote:
Although it's the 20th anniversary of the day I got married, I'm not celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss. I'm merely noting that 20 years ago this week, in the grip of optimism, I tied the knot with a lovely man who should surely have known better.

I Was A Pixie Wife

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  03:47:30  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
true or not, it's funny as all hell !

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  04:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out some of her other blog posts about the music industry....even more funny.
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  06:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fissile! I was trying to message you through frankblack.net, but I don't have permission -- I'm new to the forum. I'm glad to be here -- it's a great site -- but I registered specifically to thank you for posting the link to my blog. (I was trying to figure out why I was getting so much international traffic, and when I checked the stats I saw the frankblack.net referrer.)

Thank you for the link and thank you for your kind words. You made my day. Week. Month. Year.

Julie Farman

PS - Matto - Every word is true! I'm glad you were entertained.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  08:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JulieSF

Fissile! I was trying to message you through frankblack.net, but I don't have permission -- I'm new to the forum. I'm glad to be here -- it's a great site -- but I registered specifically to thank you for posting the link to my blog. (I was trying to figure out why I was getting so much international traffic, and when I checked the stats I saw the frankblack.net referrer.)

Thank you for the link and thank you for your kind words. You made my day. Week. Month. Year.

Julie Farman

PS - Matto - Every word is true! I'm glad you were entertained.

Julie, you're welcome. I surfed into your blog by accident....it turns out you are friends with an old schoolmate of mine. Really interesting, I had no idea this person was friends with Dave Lovering's ex.....I've been a huge Pixies fan from the day I saw them on David Sandborn's Night Music TV show. I guess it's true, there really are only six degrees of separation between any two people on this planet.

I read some of your blog posts; the music industry stories are really entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading your book....I hope there are a lot of juicy Pixies stories.
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  09:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I know who the mutual friend may be. (She probably doesn't remember that I was married.)

Six degrees was a pre-internet concept; it feels more like it's two degrees, max. (I'm simultaneously scared of and comforted by that.)

I'm so psyched that you like my blog -- usually I only get feedback from people I know. Like my immediate family. Thank you! Probably won't be a lot of Pixies stories in my (imaginary) book, but I'll try to come up with something juicy on your behalf.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  09:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,

Your friend and I are acquaintances from school(haven't seen this person in over 20 years), I saw her on another schoolmate's FB friends list. I had no idea she was in the music biz, and had no idea she was friends with you.

As concerns your blog: I love behind the scenes music stories a la Everett True. The Eddie Vedder story is hysterical. The Bobby Brown story is even more funny, although I doubt any publisher will let you include it in a book (it's dangerously un-PC). As for the book, yes, let's have a nasty Pixies story.....do tell what Kim Deal did that made Charles Thompson hide from her for 12 years.

Looking forward to your book, good luck, and don't give away all the best stories for free.

With kind regards,

Fizz
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  09:42:40  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fissile and JulieSF, very entertaining!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  09:51:52  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
julie you're a helluva good writer, thanks for putting it out there!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  10:23:09  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile
As for the book, yes, let's have a nasty Pixies story.....do tell what Kim Deal did that made Charles Thompson hide from her for 12 years.

You just couldn't help it, could you?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  10:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
As for the book, yes, let's have a nasty Pixies story.....do tell what Kim Deal did that made Charles Thompson hide from her for 12 years.

You just couldn't help it, could you?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

What can I say? I'm an asshole.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/18/2013 10:45:59
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  11:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum Julie. we're having some minor email issues with the site which I apologize about. i'm working on it

in the mean time, on behalf of myself and Dean, welcome!

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  13:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it here! Thanks for the welcome Floop - and thanks for the words, Matto and BillGoodman. (This could be my new favorite hang. Which wouldn't be such a great thing -- I already spend way too much time online.)

As for you, Mr./Ms. F, good to know you're an asshole...!

Re: Charles and Kim, I've got some of the dirt, but it's not all that fascinating. I'm much more interested in hearing what you guys think happened. Seriously.

Edited by - JulieSF on 01/18/2013 13:09:31
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  14:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've attributed the acrimonious break-up to a turbulent game of Connect Four between Charles and Kim. Charles thought Kim cheated and so began the twelve years of silence.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  14:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Julie,

I'm glad to hear you can appreciate a true asshole. There is really only one unpardonable sin in life: Being a bore. BTW, it's Mr. Asshole.

What do I think happened between Chuckles and Kim? I think it was a combination of Kim's increasingly erratic behavior caused by her drug/alcohol abuse plus personal jealousies. I'll guess money had something to do with it as well. As singer/songer writer I'll assume that Thompson got the lion's share of the money. What's clear is that Charles was pretty pissed off at Kim.....he ignored her for over a decade.

If you've got a really juicy Pixies story, save it for your book, you can't get rich giving it away. That's a book I'd gladly pay for.

There are a couple of questions that I'd like to ask you....they're not personal and, the answers would probably only be of interest to uber geek Pixies fans......such as ourselves.

In your blog post about Dave, you describe his reaction to the Pixies break up as being "gobsmacked". From what I read in Josh Frank's book, Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies, other people who were close to the band claim that it was obvious the band was finished when they played their last gig. Was it a surprise to Dave when he got the call from Thompson?

Of the four Pixies, it seems to me that Dave is the most technically proficient...not disparaging the others in any way......Dave is really quite a good drummer by anyone's standard. Why didn't he pursue other music opportunities after the Pixies break-up?

@The Maharal, everyone knows that Pixies only played Candyland when they were on the tour bus.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/18/2013 15:22:55
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  14:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Connect 4 Theory.

Here's the thing. All of this happened almost 20 years ago, and I used to do a lot of drugs.

I'm not a reliable source.

I don't remember how David found out that the band was over; all I remember is that it was hard on him. It's true that the writing was on the wall, but the writing had been on the wall for a long time. When the band broke up, it was like a long boxing match had ended -- it was like getting knocked out -- knowing that the knock out punch was coming didn't make the punch hurt any less.

David was (and is) an amazing drummer, and he had some great opportunities - I remember Dave Grohl calling him about playing with the band that became the Foo Fighters. It was just after the Pixies broke up, though, and David wasn't ready. Once he settled into being band-less, he played with Cracker and a couple of other bands -- I don't remember who -- and he and Joey (and Linda) did some writing together. (David and I split up around that time, so I don't have any intimate knowledge of what happened from there on out.)

Sorry! No ravishing insight.

Edited by - JulieSF on 01/18/2013 21:12:25
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  15:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, I kinda liked Rush........when I was 12.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  18:06:09  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This forum has historically been pretty good about not gossiping, and I hate to break that trend, but I've always assumed that what happened between the Pixies was probably pretty similar to what happened between the Beatles. One member becoming unreliable due to substance abuse and another being a controlling asshole with a big ego, while the other two were just sort of ducking in the crossfire. Luckily it seems like time has ironed those issues out for the most part.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  18:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Julie,

I'm glad to hear you can appreciate a true asshole. There is really only one unpardonable sin in life: Being a bore.

in all fairness, your endless, redundant posts about how the Pixies are not getting back together have not made for scintillating reading. just sayin'

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  18:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:

Hey Julie,

I'm glad to hear you can appreciate a true asshole. There is really only one unpardonable sin in life: Being a bore.

in all fairness, your endless, redundant posts about how the Pixies are not getting back together have not made for scintillating reading. just sayin'

Can't admit when you are wrong, can you? Most of you are repeatedly bamboozled by Thompson's hints of "new material"....which invariably turn out to be some craptacular solo project. Go have a look at the Breeders 20th anniversary website. They've got a half dozen gigs lined up with more to come. When is that going to leave time for Pixies? Right, there isn't going to be any new Pixies this year. Whatever "big thing" Thompson was hinting at for 2013 ain't Pixies.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/19/2013 10:02:08
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  04:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  05:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, and how many people connected to the Pixies have you pointed to the forum? Let me see, zero+zero+zero+zeroxzero=zero Good job!
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  06:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, wow.
here, have a lollipop.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  06:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie! Welcome to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  07:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

oh, wow.
here, have a lollipop.

it's educational

I'd rather have a tab of acid.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  08:42:39  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
4 records, 1 EP and a couple of singles + lot's of touring in just a couple of years (1986-1993).

That's what happened. And that's a lot for a young band.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 01/19/2013 08:43:56
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  08:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Right, and how many people connected to the Pixies have you pointed to the forum? Let me see, zero+zero+zero+zeroxzero=zero Good job!

a friend of mine is an acquaintance of Eric Drew Feldmam's dentist. not his current dentist but he did a root canal for him I think in the early 90's.

I can see if he'll come to the forum

Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  09:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've become characteristically obsessed with this forum and that's not good. I've gotta get back to work. I've got to try and resist the pull of frankblack.net! So good to (kind of) meet you all. Thanks for the link/encouragement/pleasure of your collective company!

Edited by - JulieSF on 01/19/2013 09:11:13
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  09:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

a friend of mine is an acquaintance of Eric Drew Feldmam's dentist. not his current dentist but he did a root canal for him I think in the early 90's.

His he weird? Is he White? Is he promised to the night? If not, fuck off.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  09:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

His he weird? Is he White? Is he promised to the night? If not, fuck off.

consider this your first warning fissile

you won't get a second

Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  09:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JulieSF

I've become characteristically obsessed with this forum and that's not good. I've gotta get back to work. I've got to try and resist the pull of frankblack.net! So good to (kind of) meet you all. Thanks for the link/encouragement/pleasure of your collective company!

I'm sure you've worked with a lot of different acts over the years. Right? I'm sure most of those acts have official websites...and/or...fan created sites that have forums. Google up those sites and post a link to your blog. You'll get more eyeballs on your blog, and generate interest in your book project.

ETA: The Gothamist website ran a story about David Bowie today, so I posted David Lovering's Quote about Bowie along with a link to your blog. BTW, some years ago I saw Bowie at the Woodstock Halloween Parade, he was dress like a space alien.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/19/2013 10:27:41
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  09:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

consider this your first warning fissile

you won't get a second

Bah! If it wasn't for me, this place would be deader than Curt Cobain.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  09:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Julie, has Dave mentioned anything about the new album? or not allowed to say?

Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  12:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen David since the Pixies played Coachella in 2004! I've spoken to him a couple of times since, but the only interaction we've had recently was via Facebook messages. If I had any info, I'd spill it -- I LOVE the Pixies and wish they'd record some new music.

Edited by - JulieSF on 01/19/2013 12:22:04
Go to Top of Page

JulieSF
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  12:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ETA: The Gothamist website ran a story about David Bowie today, so I posted David Lovering's Quote about Bowie along with a link to your blog. BTW, some years ago I saw Bowie at the Woodstock Halloween Parade, he was dress like a space alien.

I figured that out! I started seeing traffic from Gothamist. But! As much as I appreciate the thought -- which I do -- don't get any crazy ideas about linking to Pearl Jam sites! Pearl Jam fans are freakishly vocal, and it took me a while to recover from the onslaught after I posted the Pearl Jam story. (I think that's the only post that's likely to antagonize anyone -- I pick on myself and try to avoid picking on anyone else.)
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  13:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and a shitload of Pixie Action Figures to sell.

I'm assuming that's a joke... or were there really Pixies figures produced? In any case, hi Julie!

Edited by - Carl on 01/19/2013 13:41:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000