-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 I Was A Pixie Wife

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fissile Posted - 01/17/2013 : 16:55:54
This is from Julie Farman's blog. Julie is the ex-wife of David Lovering, and she says some nice things about him.

quote:
Although it's the 20th anniversary of the day I got married, I'm not celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss. I'm merely noting that 20 years ago this week, in the grip of optimism, I tied the knot with a lovely man who should surely have known better.

I Was A Pixie Wife
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fissile Posted - 08/03/2015 : 10:53:22
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Two years later I realize I probably derailed this thread with my love of Pearl Jam. At least I didn't attack her as she said others have over the band and her p.o.v. of them.

Oh well.

Oh man, I completely forgot that Lovering's ex once made a few posts here. I doubt she stopped posting because of anything anyone here said to her. Looking at her blog, there doesn't seem to be much happening. At one time she was an employee of a record company, and I think she's being very careful trying not to burn any bridges in hopes of getting another job. She's fooling herself, the recording biz has been profoundly changed by the interwebz. The recording industry has gone through its Detroit moment and and those jobs are not coming back. Instead she should write a tell-all book about her time in the recording industry. I'm sure the money from such a book would keep her in beer and skittles for while.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/26/2015 : 13:48:37
Two years later I realize I probably derailed this thread with my love of Pearl Jam. At least I didn't attack her as she said others have over the band and her p.o.v. of them.

Oh well.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 01/21/2013 : 16:20:53
Not that the whole thing sounds like Tommy Tutone. I think I heard an acoustic version where he even introduces it that way, mentioning the Tommy Tutone thing. I can hear it.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 01/21/2013 : 16:16:41
Oh, I should've been clearer.

Velouria sounds like some song, or part of it does, or Frank thought it did, of some pop song that has the lyrics, "IN THE SUMMER, IN THE CITY!" similar to Velouria. While You Ain't Me sounds like a Tommy Tutone song, I think JENNY 867-5309.

Vitalogy is excellent. I love Spin the Black Circle! It's right behind my number one song, Satan's Bed!

Yeah, I agree, they're both excellent rhythm players. I love how on Cult of Ray and the first Catholics album, you can just listen to the rhythm if you want. Well, I think you can on Cult of Ray, it's been a while since I've listened to that. Sometimes I'll pan over to Stone's side on a bootleg just to focus on him, too.

cheers!
The Maharal Posted - 01/21/2013 : 13:15:42
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I never thought I'd see someone mention Smile on this board! That's very funny. I never heard that connection between those two songs. I'll have to compare...

Before playing Kicked in the Taco, Frank said it was Stone's request. That was a fun moment for me!

With all the blather about Kurt Cobain and the Pixies influence, when I think about it now, I can see an Frank's influence in Stone's songwriting, Not in a direct way, but more in the way Stone throws chords together. Perhaps as more of an approach to writing a song.

Smile could just be a coincidence. Spin the Black Circle shares sounds like Beyond the Threshold by Husker Du. I way prefer the former and always figured it was coincidence. The riff goes down the neck, it seems like something that happens. Frank experienced it with Velouria and with You Ain't Me.

Smile's a good song but it's no Satan's Bed!

I haven't listened to Smile (or N13B) in a long time so my memory is a bit hazy, but there is something there, intentional or not.

Ah that's cool about Stone requesting KITT. Him and Frank are both stellar rhythm guitarists so it's nice there's a kind of appreciation between them (even if possibly one-sided).

Hmm it could have been a coincidence - I'd say it's probably down to Stone/McCready listening to Zen Arcade, subconsciously absorbing it and later re-playing it without realising. Probably similar to what actually happened with that guy accused of stealing Louis CK's jokes. But yeah STBC is a brilliant song. I love it and all of Vitalogy. Also, gonna have to listen to Velouria and You Aint Me tomorrow since I never noticed any similarity!
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 01/21/2013 : 11:41:38
I never thought I'd see someone mention Smile on this board! That's very funny. I never heard that connection between those two songs. I'll have to compare...

Before playing Kicked in the Taco, Frank said it was Stone's request. That was a fun moment for me!

With all the blather about Kurt Cobain and the Pixies influence, when I think about it now, I can see an Frank's influence in Stone's songwriting, Not in a direct way, but more in the way Stone throws chords together. Perhaps as more of an approach to writing a song.

Smile could just be a coincidence. Spin the Black Circle shares sounds like Beyond the Threshold by Husker Du. I way prefer the former and always figured it was coincidence. The riff goes down the neck, it seems like something that happens. Frank experienced it with Velouria and with You Ain't Me.

Smile's a good song but it's no Satan's Bed!

The Maharal Posted - 01/21/2013 : 11:28:36
I obviously don't know the ins and outs of that story and why that particular relationship fizzled out (I suspect there's more to it than revealed) but the 'Suspect' IDs thing made me chortle. I used to be a big Pearl Jam fan but I haven't listened to them in ages. They've a pretty good catalogue and like Frank there's always a few gems amongst the crud. Apparently Stone Gossard was a fan of the Catholics while someone was obviously a fan of No 13 Baby since 'Smile' borrows a part from it. Both wonderful songs.

So yeah the shitty generalisations are a tad irksome.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 01/21/2013 : 11:04:15
Pearl Jam are my favorite band and brought me to Frank Black sooner than I would've listened to his music on my own. I loved the Pixies but hadn't ventured into Frank Black's solo material. I don't recall if I thought his work wouldn't be as good or if I was just waiting, as I sometimes do, for the right mood to check out his work.

In the summer of 98 I was going to see Pearl Jam and Frank was opening so I figured I should check out his solo stuff. I purchased FB, Teenager and Ray and was amazed at the songwriting; looking back I'm still shocked at the wealth of new music I was enjoying. Those three albums, all at once...! Wow.

After hearing those songs I no longer viewed the Pixies as somewhat separate from his solo work, but instead as a continuum, a wonderful tapestry of tunes woven by a genius.

c'est tout
Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 16:38:19
quote:
Originally posted by JulieSF

I'm psyched to be getting traffic from frankblack.org! I know that Pixies fans are cool, and there's nothing that I wrote about David that would upset him. (He's probably be surprised that I wrote about him in such glowing terms.)

I'm not concerned about any other post I've written. It's only Pearl Jam. They have vicious fans, and I'd prefer to stay off their radar. (I still get hate mail from Eddie defenders, and it's nine months later.)

I have a bad case of PJPTSD - Pearl Jam Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

See, look, I caved -- I'm back online...

I still can't understand why the Darth Vedder fans have you so freaked out. It's the interwebz for Jebus sake. it's not like they can kill with their keyboards. I mean, I've been trying to come up with an app that will allow me to shoot people from my smart phone, but I haven't been having much success.
JulieSF Posted - 01/19/2013 : 16:18:55
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:

quote:

ETA: The Gothamist website ran a story about David Bowie today, so I posted David Lovering's Quote about Bowie along with a link to your blog. BTW, some years ago I saw Bowie at the Woodstock Halloween Parade, he was dress like a space alien.

I figured that out! I started seeing traffic from Gothamist. But! As much as I appreciate the thought -- which I do -- don't get any crazy ideas about linking to Pearl Jam sites! Pearl Jam fans are freakishly vocal, and it took me a while to recover from the onslaught after I posted the Pearl Jam story. (I think that's the only post that's likely to antagonize anyone -- I pick on myself and try to avoid picking on anyone else.)

If you don't want me to post the link to your blog, that's fine. It's just that you seemed pleasantly surprised to be getting the new traffic, I was like, "Um, doesn't she realize that posting the link at sites read by people with similar interests will generate new page hits?" I assumed that's what you wanted.

As for the Pearl Jam crowd, it doesn't surprise me...that's the predictable reaction of fanboiz. Why are you worried about what fanboiz think of you? Most are still living in their mothers' basements. Fuck 'em. Same thing happens with Pixies fanboiz. Go back and read some of the posts where I've ripped on Thompson for playing games as concerns a new Pixies project. The nice Pixies fans get sand in their manginas and and come out hissing at me like diseased geese.

There really is no such thing as bad publicity, and there is nothing wrong with rattling cages. A lot of great art has come out of conflict and discord. Look at Thompson and Deal for example.....two sticks rubbing together make fire.

I agree, picking on Vedder would be wrong......I'd like to punch him in the face.

I'm psyched to be getting traffic from frankblack.org! I know that Pixies fans are cool, and there's nothing that I wrote about David that would upset him. (He's probably be surprised that I wrote about him in such glowing terms.)

I'm not concerned about any other post I've written. It's only Pearl Jam. They have vicious fans, and I'd prefer to stay off their radar. (I still get hate mail from Eddie defenders, and it's nine months later.)

I have a bad case of PJPTSD - Pearl Jam Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

See, look, I caved -- I'm back online...

JulieSF Posted - 01/19/2013 : 15:59:23
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

quote:
and a shitload of Pixie Action Figures to sell.

I'm assuming that's a joke... or were there really Pixies figures produced? In any case, hi Julie!

Joking! No Dead Primates In A Casket either... (HELLO!)
Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 15:46:16
quote:

quote:

ETA: The Gothamist website ran a story about David Bowie today, so I posted David Lovering's Quote about Bowie along with a link to your blog. BTW, some years ago I saw Bowie at the Woodstock Halloween Parade, he was dress like a space alien.

I figured that out! I started seeing traffic from Gothamist. But! As much as I appreciate the thought -- which I do -- don't get any crazy ideas about linking to Pearl Jam sites! Pearl Jam fans are freakishly vocal, and it took me a while to recover from the onslaught after I posted the Pearl Jam story. (I think that's the only post that's likely to antagonize anyone -- I pick on myself and try to avoid picking on anyone else.)

If you don't want me to post the link to your blog, that's fine. It's just that you seemed pleasantly surprised to be getting the new traffic, I was like, "Um, doesn't she realize that posting the link at sites read by people with similar interests will generate new page hits?" I assumed that's what you wanted.

As for the Pearl Jam crowd, it doesn't surprise me...that's the predictable reaction of fanboiz. Why are you worried about what fanboiz think of you? Most are still living in their mothers' basements. Fuck 'em. Same thing happens with Pixies fanboiz. Go back and read some of the posts where I've ripped on Thompson for playing games as concerns a new Pixies project. The nice Pixies fans get sand in their manginas and and come out hissing at me like diseased geese.

There really is no such thing as bad publicity, and there is nothing wrong with rattling cages. A lot of great art has come out of conflict and discord. Look at Thompson and Deal for example.....two sticks rubbing together make fire.

I agree, picking on Vedder would be wrong......I'd like to punch him in the face.
floop Posted - 01/19/2013 : 15:12:20
hope you stay around Julie. you seem like a nice person. this place is mostly filled with intelligent, nice people. much better than i would imagine a Pearl Jam forum

green star member since 2006. smb?
Carl Posted - 01/19/2013 : 13:40:45
quote:
and a shitload of Pixie Action Figures to sell.

I'm assuming that's a joke... or were there really Pixies figures produced? In any case, hi Julie!
JulieSF Posted - 01/19/2013 : 12:27:43
quote:

JulieSF Posted - 01/19/2013 : 12:21:18
I haven't seen David since the Pixies played Coachella in 2004! I've spoken to him a couple of times since, but the only interaction we've had recently was via Facebook messages. If I had any info, I'd spill it -- I LOVE the Pixies and wish they'd record some new music.

floop Posted - 01/19/2013 : 09:44:28
Hey Julie, has Dave mentioned anything about the new album? or not allowed to say?

Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 09:39:33
quote:
Originally posted by floop

consider this your first warning fissile

you won't get a second

Bah! If it wasn't for me, this place would be deader than Curt Cobain.
Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 09:35:44
quote:

I've become characteristically obsessed with this forum and that's not good. I've gotta get back to work. I've got to try and resist the pull of frankblack.net! So good to (kind of) meet you all. Thanks for the link/encouragement/pleasure of your collective company!

I'm sure you've worked with a lot of different acts over the years. Right? I'm sure most of those acts have official websites...and/or...fan created sites that have forums. Google up those sites and post a link to your blog. You'll get more eyeballs on your blog, and generate interest in your book project.

floop Posted - 01/19/2013 : 09:32:25
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, and how many people connected to the Pixies have you pointed to the forum? Let me see, zero+zero+zero+zeroxzero=zero Good job!

a friend of mine is an acquaintance of Eric Drew Feldmam's dentist. not his current dentist but he did a root canal for him I think in the early 90's.

I can see if he'll come to the forum

His he weird? Is he White? Is he promised to the night? If not, fuck off.

consider this your first warning fissile

you won't get a second

Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 09:29:13
quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, and how many people connected to the Pixies have you pointed to the forum? Let me see, zero+zero+zero+zeroxzero=zero Good job!

a friend of mine is an acquaintance of Eric Drew Feldmam's dentist. not his current dentist but he did a root canal for him I think in the early 90's.

His he weird? Is he White? Is he promised to the night? If not, fuck off.
JulieSF Posted - 01/19/2013 : 09:03:33
I've become characteristically obsessed with this forum and that's not good. I've gotta get back to work. I've got to try and resist the pull of frankblack.net! So good to (kind of) meet you all. Thanks for the link/encouragement/pleasure of your collective company!
floop Posted - 01/19/2013 : 08:55:35
quote:

quote:

billgoodman Posted - 01/19/2013 : 08:42:39
4 records, 1 EP and a couple of singles + lot's of touring in just a couple of years (1986-1993).

That's what happened. And that's a lot for a young band.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 07:59:21
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

oh, wow.
here, have a lollipop.

it's educational

I'd rather have a tab of acid.
Ziggy Posted - 01/19/2013 : 06:40:11
Hi Julie! Welcome to the forum.
Discoking Posted - 01/19/2013 : 06:36:27
oh, wow.
here, have a lollipop.

it's educational
Fissile Posted - 01/19/2013 : 05:01:06
quote:

floop Posted - 01/19/2013 : 04:11:44

Fissile Posted - 01/18/2013 : 18:33:00
quote:

quote:

Hey Julie,

I'm glad to hear you can appreciate a true asshole. There is really only one unpardonable sin in life: Being a bore.

in all fairness, your endless, redundant posts about how the Pixies are not getting back together have not made for scintillating reading. just sayin'

Can't admit when you are wrong, can you? Most of you are repeatedly bamboozled by Thompson's hints of "new material"....which invariably turn out to be some craptacular solo project. Go have a look at the Breeders 20th anniversary website. They've got a half dozen gigs lined up with more to come. When is that going to leave time for Pixies? Right, there isn't going to be any new Pixies this year. Whatever "big thing" Thompson was hinting at for 2013 ain't Pixies.
floop Posted - 01/18/2013 : 18:15:48
quote:

Hey Julie,

I'm glad to hear you can appreciate a true asshole. There is really only one unpardonable sin in life: Being a bore.

in all fairness, your endless, redundant posts about how the Pixies are not getting back together have not made for scintillating reading. just sayin'

Mickey Posted - 01/18/2013 : 18:06:09
This forum has historically been pretty good about not gossiping, and I hate to break that trend, but I've always assumed that what happened between the Pixies was probably pretty similar to what happened between the Beatles. One member becoming unreliable due to substance abuse and another being a controlling asshole with a big ego, while the other two were just sort of ducking in the crossfire. Luckily it seems like time has ironed those issues out for the most part.

-Mickey
Fissile Posted - 01/18/2013 : 15:35:34
BTW, I kinda liked Rush........when I was 12.
JulieSF Posted - 01/18/2013 : 14:54:36
I like the Connect 4 Theory.

Here's the thing. All of this happened almost 20 years ago, and I used to do a lot of drugs.

I'm not a reliable source.

I don't remember how David found out that the band was over; all I remember is that it was hard on him. It's true that the writing was on the wall, but the writing had been on the wall for a long time. When the band broke up, it was like a long boxing match had ended -- it was like getting knocked out -- knowing that the knock out punch was coming didn't make the punch hurt any less.

David was (and is) an amazing drummer, and he had some great opportunities - I remember Dave Grohl calling him about playing with the band that became the Foo Fighters. It was just after the Pixies broke up, though, and David wasn't ready. Once he settled into being band-less, he played with Cracker and a couple of other bands -- I don't remember who -- and he and Joey (and Linda) did some writing together. (David and I split up around that time, so I don't have any intimate knowledge of what happened from there on out.)

Sorry! No ravishing insight.
Fissile Posted - 01/18/2013 : 14:14:27
Hey Julie,

I'm glad to hear you can appreciate a true asshole. There is really only one unpardonable sin in life: Being a bore. BTW, it's Mr. Asshole.

What do I think happened between Chuckles and Kim? I think it was a combination of Kim's increasingly erratic behavior caused by her drug/alcohol abuse plus personal jealousies. I'll guess money had something to do with it as well. As singer/songer writer I'll assume that Thompson got the lion's share of the money. What's clear is that Charles was pretty pissed off at Kim.....he ignored her for over a decade.

If you've got a really juicy Pixies story, save it for your book, you can't get rich giving it away. That's a book I'd gladly pay for.

There are a couple of questions that I'd like to ask you....they're not personal and, the answers would probably only be of interest to uber geek Pixies fans......such as ourselves.

In your blog post about Dave, you describe his reaction to the Pixies break up as being "gobsmacked". From what I read in Josh Frank's book, Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies, other people who were close to the band claim that it was obvious the band was finished when they played their last gig. Was it a surprise to Dave when he got the call from Thompson?

Of the four Pixies, it seems to me that Dave is the most technically proficient...not disparaging the others in any way......Dave is really quite a good drummer by anyone's standard. Why didn't he pursue other music opportunities after the Pixies break-up?

@The Maharal, everyone knows that Pixies only played Candyland when they were on the tour bus.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000