Ken Goes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  17:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if Ken Goes managed any other acts besides the Pixies and FB? If he did, I can't find any. Seems to be a very shadowy figure.

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  18:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good, a new person for Fissle to slander.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  02:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Oh good, a new person for Fissle to slander.

How is asking a question slander? I can't find any info on Ken Goes. There is more information available about the Pixies first manager, a woman who managed the band for a few months, than there is on Goes, who managed them for years.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  16:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"seems to be a very shadowy figure", plus your past dickishness always makes you suspect.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  01:47:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He did manage the Muses in the begining, right?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  10:36:41  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
polonsky
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ken+Goes

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  12:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone recall when Ken Goes stopped being FB's manager and the reason why?

From what I remember Richard Jones managed the Pixies reunion tour from 04 onwards and Ken Goes continued managing FB solo for a couple more releases before Jones took over completely, does that sound right?

Just curious as always felt familiar with the name Ken Goes but hard to find anything about him really.

Plus comparing BF / Pixies now to the early days. Recall BF saying in interview in last few years he was surprised noone from 4AD or management told them to take a time out or helped manage the tension to prevent the original split. Was that a dig at Ken Goes?

Looking back, FB was very single minded and took a lot of decisions himself - not sure if someone like Jones would allow - or at least try to persuade not to - some of those decisions.

- breaking up pixies by fax (I'm sure the rest of the band didn't actually have fax machines)
- asking to leave 4AD
- basically telling Rick Rubin to go fuck himself with the Frank Black and the Catholics debut album

Those things spring to mind but over the years there's been a change in terms of dealing with the corporate side of things from the change from Goes to Jones. Is Jones the reason there's no more solo stuff and an album every 2-3 years? Anyone have any info or thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  13:02:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From the Guardian interview:
I’ve had many a pub argument where I defended my position that I’d take the Frank Black back catalogue over Pixies. Which are you most proud of? SpoctorDooner

"I suppose I’m most proud of the Pixies catalogue because that’s what I’m known for. I’m glad for the paradigm of an actual band where everything has to go through a strong filter with a certain amount of compromise and humility. That can be difficult to deal with when you’re a young, cocky rock musician and still an idiot."

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  13:06:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And the great Rolling Stone interview:

re you done making solo albums? It’s been a few years since you’ve done one.
Feels like. Feel like it. I can’t really justify it. It takes a lot of energy, ultimately, to put out a record. Then people want you to go on tour to promote it. The Pixies are pretty successful in the touring realm. I can’t really say, “OK, kids, I’m going on tour again, bye. But this time I’m not going to make any money. I’m just doing it because I’m an artist.” It just doesn’t feel right. It kind of goes up against my more blue-collar outlook. And I paint. If I have extra creative energy, I try to direct it there. And that doesn’t interfere with my musical career.

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  16:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

From what I remember Richard Jones managed the Pixies reunion tour from 04 onwards and Ken Goes continued managing FB solo for a couple more releases before Jones took over completely, does that sound right?

Just curious as always felt familiar with the name Ken Goes but hard to find anything about him really.

Plus comparing BF / Pixies now to the early days. Recall BF saying in interview in last few years he was surprised noone from 4AD or management told them to take a time out or helped manage the tension to prevent the original split. Was that a dig at Ken Goes?

Looking back, FB was very single minded and took a lot of decisions himself - not sure if someone like Jones would allow - or at least try to persuade not to - some of those decisions.

- breaking up pixies by fax (I'm sure the rest of the band didn't actually have fax machines)
- asking to leave 4AD
- basically telling Rick Rubin to go fuck himself with the Frank Black and the Catholics debut album

Those things spring to mind but over the years there's been a change in terms of dealing with the corporate side of things from the change from Goes to Jones. Is Jones the reason there's no more solo stuff and an album every 2-3 years? Anyone have any info or thoughts?

That's interesting. Didn't realize that Catholics album was recorded as a demo for Rick Rubin.

I'm not sure what could be changed on that album, I think it's cool as is. But I think a Rick Rubing produced Catholics album sounds interesting to me.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  01:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

- asking to leave 4AD

Pretty sure Charles was managed by Richard Hermitage for a while after Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  04:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yeah thanks guys. checking discogs can see Richard Hermitage was from Bluefinger onwards and has been involved in all the vinyl remasters recently.

So 2 different Richards, interesting! And not Richard Jones being the reason for no more solo. Thanks guys.

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2022 :  03:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've once heard that charles made a phone call to a festival organiser, pretending to be "fb's manager".

does that suggest he didn't have a manager at some point during the pixies hiatus?
or that he was doing at least some of those manager-y tasks himself?

or would the story i heard (from someone who worked at that festival) be complete bullshit?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000