Vocals on Honeycomb
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  17:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently listened to Honeycomb again, and it struck me that I don't think I ever read an interview or saw much in the threads about the vocals on the album.

This isn't so much about liking them or not liking them - it's just more of a surprise that the choice that was made wasn't commented upon that much. Only because it's such a different style than the other albums.

I know it's a record that many people seem to love or hate, but I was just curious as to what other people thought, or if anybody else had been surprised.

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  06:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck in getting an answer, I would like to know too. Im still trying to find out the inspiration for Selkie Bride (coming from that part of the world). Personally I love the somewhat downbeat yet uplifting vocals on Selkie Bride, I Burn Today, My Life is in Storage and Sing for Joy.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  17:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree, the vocals on some of these songs work really well. I think they work particularly well on the song "Honeycomb". I'm still surprised that the whole album is kind of like that. As for Selkie Bride, I don't know - it seems to be thematically related to other songs/ lines in FB's catalog. Velouria, for example. But you're right, it would be interesting to know.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  20:04:45  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We did have some discussion of this at the time.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  03:12:26  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you check the Discopedia here on frankblack.net windupbird? There's some quotes and a link to an interview where Frank talks about the songs.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  13:11:38  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by windupbird

As for Selkie Bride, I don't know - it seems to be thematically related to other songs/ lines in FB's catalog. Velouria, for example.

I was thinking of this earlier, fB songs relating to others. I was listening to Praise and the lyric "her purple form" reminded me of the Velouria doll and her purple cape.

My invite to the Catholics recording sessions got lost in the post but I like to believe Frank sang and played at the same time. With Honeycomb I always imagine him to be singing without his guitar leaving the other musicians to play. Maybe this could have influenced the delivery. Maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  18:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks pixie punk, will check the interview. And true, fbc - I actually now remember some interview where FB described the moment he had to lay down vocals for "Dark End of the Street". My memory kind of fails me, but I think it was something like someone in the studio had actually worked on the original recording (or with the original artist?) and that it was kind of like "here you go kid", as in 'time to step up to the plate'. But I may be remembering this totally wrong so this post should probably be filed under the 'urban myths/ to be verified' category. But it was something like that, laying down the vocals after the music.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  18:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, just checked the Discopedia and it's all in there... Wow. Quite the resource. I will check it twice before posting next time. And thanks again Pixie punk.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  03:38:07  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by windupbird

Ok, just checked the Discopedia and it's all in there... Wow. Quite the resource. I will check it twice before posting next time. And thanks again Pixie punk.

Glad you got your answers windupbird

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  07:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love its mellowness. I know it's ultra-controversial here, but I think HONEYCOMB has aged well.

I heard it after I heard HONEYCOMB, but I've come to equate HONEYCOMB with the Waylon Jennings album, DREAMING MY DREAMS. Waylon Jennings was the rowdy outlaw country guy who then came out with a mostly mellow, tender, quiet LP where he almost whispers the songs at times (Jennings himself called it his favorite of his albums). It's a beautiful record and I think HONEYCOMB is a beautiful record, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000