New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  00:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, long time no post for me. Seems quiet around here so thought i'd start one. Kind of zoned out after Golem and SVN FNGRS. Was listening to some older FB stuff over last few weeks while doing alot of driving and one song has kept me coming back again and again.

The song is of course Announcement from Oddballs \ Men in Black 12"

This is another of Frank's epics in my opinion. I find it hard to be subjective about FB as i love his songs so much (especially this era) and cannot bring myself back to when i heard this one first with no bias, and what my opinion then was.

No matter, my opinion now is that this is a really special one. Up there with Man of Steel, Pan American Highway, Ole Mullholland. Special in the way that it is really unusual but beautiful guitar riff to start, whilst the outro and closing last few minutes is a glorious cacophony of guitar noise, slabs of beautiful electric guitar spliced with some unbeliveably powerful drumming and amazing kind of vocal harmonising best heard through headphones. Its a grower no doubt. With that, the lyrics are quite hard to figure out but the vocals are excellent. Frank sings this one in such a powerful way. There is a point where he holds the same note for what seems an extraordinary amount of time before refueling with oxygen and finishing the melody. This is the mans lungs at their max capacity and what a sound it is.

The outro is up there with No.13 baby and baby thats art for me. Really love this one. Properly raw but yet very beautiful.

So tell me, what is this song about in your opinion and what are your thought on it??

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  05:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the thread title and thought, "Oh cool. Someone has an important announcement to make. I wonder what's the big news?"

Imagine my disappointment.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  08:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad the Catholics never played a ten minute epic version with Rich and Dave trading solos over the groove before ending in a ramshackle collapse of noise and cymbals...
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  11:46:23  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read the thread title and thought, "I hope this thread is about the song 'Announcement'."

Imagine my satisfaction.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  13:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always liked Announcement. I played the Men In Black b-side version endlessly, then rediscovered it on Oddballs - and was stoked to find it was the longer [and better] version with extended coda..

There were some super tunes from the COR sessions: including Announcement, You Never Heard About Me, Can I Get A Witness, etc. which almost slipped thru the cracks.

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 06/26/2012 13:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  16:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I love about Pixies and Catholics are the brevity of most of the songs; but it's awesome when they cut loose. 1826 should've been played live but at least they performed Blast Off. Announcement's outro is great!
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  17:06:26  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
agree - an absolute ripper of a track.
as for 10min epic version, that i cannot provide - how about this though:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3035449/28%20Announcement.mp3

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  22:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Always liked Announcement. I played the Men In Black b-side version endlessly, then rediscovered it on Oddballs - and was stoked to find it was the longer [and better] version with extended coda..

There were some super tunes from the COR sessions: including Announcement, You Never Heard About Me, Can I Get A Witness, etc. which almost slipped thru the cracks.

I have the key to #902

No doubt 1965, you can add Village of the Sun to that list and Can i get a Witnes is one of Frank's finest as well in my opinion. The tunes from this post teenager era, pre catholics era are to me either super poppy or raw kind of indie \ garage sounding.
I was trying to work out who plays what on announcement and after listening i think thre is only one guitar in the mix, the bass is really high up and provides intro to some of the wicked little percussion breaks. I suppose that could be McDave or Eric here i really dont know.

On Village of the sun and Can i get a witess i presume Lyle was playing lead but i could be wrong. I love the guitar on these two tracks. Its up there with Adventure and Resolution on COR which in my mind is absolute triumph of guitar playing. If this track was live to two track which i think it was i am even more floored by it. The interplay between lead and rythm (so far from average lead and rythm) is like some fucking call and response game between two aliens. It would be scary if it wasnt so rythmical and measured. Love it.

It could soundtrack surf / sci fi / horror flicks. Fantastic.
Come to think of it you could make a record of non album tracks from this era and i think it would be a superior album to COR or FB + C's. But thats just my opinion, and i've been known to have been wrong before. In saying that i love both those records for very different reasons and it would be sacrilege to mess with them.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  22:43:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My fave CoR b-side is probably Baby That's Art - Oddballs version. Amazing how much it sounds like Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtPHlEQ-uU

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  23:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

My fave CoR b-side is probably Baby That's Art - Oddballs version. Amazing how much it sounds like Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtPHlEQ-uU

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Amazing track Denis, kind of sounds like Pixies doing Bowie. Proper hypnotic. Could listen to it driving in the sun for days.

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  03:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

agree - an absolute ripper of a track.
as for 10min epic version, that i cannot provide - how about this though:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3035449/28%20Announcement.mp3

Wow great version, thanks for that benji!

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  14:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you benji, I appreciate you sharing that.

I particularly enjoyed the ending, where it almost falls apart but keeps going anyway.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  17:52:43  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'tis a great version indeed. i think it's one of only 2 recordings of announcement i have, and it's definitely the best quality one.

Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the idea of having Announcement fade into the outro of So. Bay.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  19:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...thanks for this thread...hadn't listened to Announcement in 4 years according to my itunes...Jeeesh. Greatness. Oh how I yearn for the days when he released stuff like this every year.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  00:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superabounder

Wow...thanks for this thread...hadn't listened to Announcement in 4 years according to my itunes...Jeeesh. Greatness. Oh how I yearn for the days when he released stuff like this every year.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything

Yeah i miss those days as well. With every year for the most part came another Frank Black record. Some years we got two!! Amazing output and i suppose unsustainable for ever. I like to think one is being created right now and after reading BFs recent update i am hopeful. Its been too long since the golem. Loved that record though, i'd be happy to see another of that type rather than a non stop erotic. I just cant get into that record. I had hoped it would be like COR and after a few months it would reveal itelf but alas no.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  07:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's been forever since I listened to Oddballs... correcting that now!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000