Page: of 6

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  09:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A review by our old friend VoVat:

http://vovatia.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/being-just-contaminates-the-void/

The newest album from the highly prolific Black Francis (AKA Frank Black) has him collaborating with long-time friend Reid Paley. I actually saw Paley open for Frank about nine years ago, and I can’t say I was that impressed. I wasn’t a big fan of his voice or his bluesy style, but I’ll admit that his being one of three openers at a standing room only show didn’t help matters much. That said, I do like this collaborative effort. The album is arranged to switch off between Francis and Paley on lead vocals, and while Paley’s rather harsh voice does take some getting used to, I think his songs are pretty cool, especially “Ugly Life.” Of the songs with Francis singing lead, my favorite is probably the opening track, “Curse.” So have I softened on Paley, or is it just Francis’ contribution that gets me to like his music as well? I guess I’d have to listen to more of Paley’s solo stuff to know for sure.

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  09:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Andy, a signature that doesn't mention His Kingly Cave!!! I think this is what it must sound like, when angels sing.

On the other hand, FB is a "sometime" member of the Pixies?

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

... or possibly when doves cry?

I note you ignore the quality of my feeble pun!

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  13:35:09  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm liking this album a lot. I'm listening to Crescent Moon now. It reminds me so much of the Golem tracks not that that means anything, I just like it. Typical Frank, if you know what I mean. Makes me want to grab my six string every time though it only has 5.

Happy Shoes and Deconstructed are great! For Paley's delivery alone.

What jumps out at me is how very similar their songwriting styles are.
I haven't delved too deep into Reid Paley's discography but this album gets me in the way I like, especially the two songs I mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you got me excited. i'm hoping to be satisfied.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  01:43:19  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoah there, Jose!

I can safely say you'll probably like Crescent Moon and Seal for their frankness. The rest I can't guess.

Say you like 1 song and watch 10 say they don't.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  06:04:42  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm quite surprised that the song I like the most was written by Paley (Ugly life).
So far I'm not impressed by the other tracks.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  23:47:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seconded, Ugly Life is my favourite too!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  06:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Andy, a signature that doesn't mention His Kingly Cave!!! I think this is what it must sound like, when angels sing.

On the other hand, FB is a "sometime" member of the Pixies?

... or possibly when doves cry?

I note you ignore the quality of my feeble pun!

Not ignored, I'm just not that clever!

I'm checking in (he's checking in)
I'm checking in (checking, checking in)
No more drugs or alcohol
No more stinking fun at all!
etc.

Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  07:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

I'm quite surprised that the song I like the most was written by Paley (Ugly life).
So far I'm not impressed by the other tracks.

It is so strange to have Paley's voice along with Frank's in a same record because they seem from 2 different planets.
Paley: blues sensibility, super emotional, tremolo, low tone.
Francis: folk sensibility, high tones, no tremolo, no "human" emotion (his particular kind of autistic emotion is based on the lack of melodramatic emotion: "Show me your tears!" may be the quintessencial song for FB strange lack of human emotion, and the sad epic feeling created by that absence).

Isnt it like the spinal tap joke: two forces that get together, one fire and one ice, and all you end up with is lukewarm water?

I dont really think that's the case, but the link was obvious.

Edited by - Grotesque on 11/06/2011 12:26:03
Go to Top of Page

seanunyon
- FB Fan -

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  09:06:44  Show Profile  Visit seanunyon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants info about ordering this album directly from Sonic Unyon you can do that here - http://www.sonicunyonstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Paley&osCsid=d6n6a0ikuhi328men5dg7firo4&x=0&y=0
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  09:50:03  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank You.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  08:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NY Daily News - Billy Crudup and Grace Gummer take their romance to the next level at 'Rampart' after-party.

...The Pixies’ Asbury Park show on Friday night left us looking forward to the day when front man Black Francis and Reid Paley finally bring their Paley & Francis project to NYC concert halls.

We’ve been a Paley fan ever since he fronted the great Pittsburgh post-punk band The Five in the ’80s, and he’s only improved since then. So we were excited to learn he’s released a CD with Francis, another of our favorite singer/songwriters.

So far, the duo have performed as “Paley & Francis” — which doubles as the album’s title — at just a handful of shows outside the city. “Like a Broadway show, we opened out of town,” says the Brooklyn-born Paley, though he predicts they’ll play here once the Pixies finish their tour. Until then, catch the Reid Paley Trio at the Counting Room in Williamsburg tomorrow night.

Edited by - Carl on 11/03/2011 08:59:26
Go to Top of Page

soderstromk
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  17:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sublimates into pure misty joy for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MELlx57hjLk&feature=share
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:44:47  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow I've never seen this before. I love this song. The riff is killer. Frank delivers another sublime chorus.

That's right. I said sublime. Sublime 1 Disappointment 0.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  05:35:54  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know what, I'm warming up to this album. The recording still bothers me but I really really love the songs. Magic Cup, Ugly Life, Seal, Praise and Happy Shoes are all great.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  01:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all right, i finally got me mitts on this, and i'll be spinning it several times today. i've been jiving on HC and FMRM lately, so it's a good time to head into these uncertain waters, i reckon.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  06:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NZ Herald - Album review: Paley & Francis, Paley & Francis.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  08:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i really like this album. all the songs! good stuff. good good stuff. more later, i guess.

well, it's later. i kind of hope these two do this every now and then. i like the results so much that i hope this is the first of several. it frees up charles to do whatever.

like i've mentioned 12 times in the past week, i'm devouring FMRM and HC like never before. again, having a specific angle like those albums and (to an extent, i'm guessing) paley&francis, charles can make some tunes that he likes without feeling pressure to please anyone but himself.

plus, paley is a likable fellow, i think. calling him a tom waits rip-off would be totally off base, but he has a similar ability to take traditional sounding songs and make them fresh.

Edited by - Jose Jones on 11/14/2011 12:55:25
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  10:28:19  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's in my hands today, I will have listened to it by Monday, maybe tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  10:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An 8 out of 10 review by Ted Chase - Don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.qromag.com/reviews/album_reviews/paley_&_francis_:_paley_&_francis/

It used to be easy to tell the musical story of Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV - he was Black Francis, leader of the acclaimed Pixies, then the Pixies broke up, and he was solo artist Frank Black. Even adding ‘& The Catholics’ to his solo moniker didn't change things. But after The Catholics, the Pixies reunited at Coachella in 2004 (basically starting the ‘alt bands reuniting - and cashing in - trend’), though only playing the old, much-beloved material. Then Thompson returned to the ‘Black Francis’ name. He also produced the last two Art Brut (QRO spotlight on), did a score to the 1920 silent film The Golem, teamed up with his wife as Grand Duchy (QRO album review), and more, while still putting out solo records - albeit of diminishing returns. But now Frank Black Francis has done his best off-angle move so far, pairing with longtime friend & tourmate Reid Paley as Paley & Francis.

While Francis is still best known & loved for his alt-rock work in Pixies and as Frank Black, recent years have seen him trend into the alt-country lane, especially since readopting the ‘Black Francis’ name in 2007 with Bluefinger (QRO review). The more stripped-down Francis certainly had its high points, but by last year's Nonstoperotick (QRO review), they were getting fewer and farther in between. Teaming up with the gruffer alt-country troubadour Reid Paley (who's also known for his winning humor on stage, including opening for Francis) has brought a shot of vigor into Francis, even as his goes further into even alt-blues & -gospel.

The songs on Paley & Francis (how nice of the more famous of the two not to take first-billing; though that's not alphabetical order...) go roughly one-two in terms of who takes the lead, with Paley a much gruffer, saloon-style voice, even ragtime on pieces such as "On the Corner", "Ugly Life", "The Last Song", and "Deconstructed", though varying from sad, near-gospel sway ("The Last Song") to saloon bombast ("Deconstructed"). Indeed, Paley's is the more memorable voice on Paley & Francis, though Francis' guitar work stands out on such numbers as "Curse", "Crescent Moon", and especially "Praise", as fine a song in Frank Black Francis' discography as there is.

People looking for new Pixies or Frank Black II won't find it on Paley & Francis, but they should know better by now (Pixies have been touring behind deluxe edition of Doolittle for over two years now - QRO live review). But the alt-country Black Francis has been revived with a heavy dose of Reid Paley.

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  11:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Snob's Music:

http://www.snobsmusic.net/2011/11/paley-francis-paley-francis-mini-review.html

Paley & Francis is the debut collaboration between singer/songerwiter Reid Paley and Pixies frontman Black Francis.

This is a more roots-based album that what we're accustomed to hearing from Francis (the fact that Spooner Oldham and David Hood contribute doesn't hurt). It's an exceptional foray into the genre at that.

There's a seedy down-and-outer quality that runs throughout the record. You feel like you are alternately in a dank inner city dive bar or a saloon with sawdust on the floor.

The lyrics are sharp with plenty of humour.

It comes together best on "On The Corner". Between Paley's gravelly vocals, the melancholy piano, and the nearly palpable stench of bourbon, it could almost be mistaken for a Tom Waits number.

Verdict: Buy It

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  22:19:06  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still enjoying this album. Anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  09:55:25  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still just starting with this disc.

Of the FB sung ones, I really like Curse, Praise and Seal, and Magic Cup is pretty good.

I like Happy Shoes, Deconstructed and Ugly Life.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  10:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have lyrics been put up anywhere?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  10:25:57  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(not sure)

I think Praise is great. Such a simple song and the words are perfect.

I bet they write shitloads and I'm glad I got to hear these. If I had a bottle of Whiskey I'd sing along. If I met the ol' local drunk down the local pub he'd be spilling his last pint at last orders as he slides down the bar singing Happy Shoes as his hat falls over his face. I'd laugh and help him up.

Edited by - fbc on 01/24/2012 10:26:58
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  12:37:01  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it was FB who said Paley coud write great lyrics with a 500 word vocabulary. Happy Shoes is a song like that.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  00:51:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. Curse On You
2. Last Song
3. Crescent Moon
4. Praise
5. Ugly Life
6. Deconstructed
7. Magic Cup
8. Country Song
9. Seal
10. On the Corner

I'm sure this was the first tracklisting made public. I'm gald they rearranged it because I think the last 4 tracks were meant to be together. If Country Song isn't Happy Shoes, I'd like to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  19:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just finally listening to some of the Paley and Francis songs, and I have to say that I'm really liking them. Once again, pleasantly surprised (I was a little nervous after reading how fast they had to record it).

Anyway, I watched some of the live versions on Youtube and also found this one, "Wild Man from Borneo", which is also pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXCAUECuco
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  13:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just realized that the song "Wild Man from Borneo" is a Kinky Friedman cover, which I did not know.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  04:54:25  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's sounding nice, and a rare appearance of a Black Francis sort o' solo ha!

I do like the sound of Paley and Black's guitars together.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  16:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm digging the solo too. He puts some heart into it. I like the chorus as well.

Although this one's a cover, I do hope Paley and Francis write and record some more together - plus, based on some of these live versions, I'd love to see them play a gig.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  11:48:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best fB solo: river euphrates or this?? :D don't answer.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  20:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't really say about the best solo... But I did come across another video of Paley and Francis. This one is just part of "Magic Cup", live, filmed from the audience. It rocks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm72xYNYvJM
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  17:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was just on Reid Paley's site and noticed this in his news section:

March 4, 2012

The Paley & Francis vinyl album is on the way.

Coming to you on The Bureau.
Go to Top of Page

Ian
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  11:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi folks, i put up 3 more songs from the Paley & Francis show in Hamilton last september. they all sound pretty good!

I'm not dead (i'm in pittsburgh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPuJHjNF-kc

Magic cup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUt_Kes-Kk0

Happy Shoes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Z71nzdzIc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: