United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  01:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

This isn't rocket science, but I really like to stirr things up a bit, so:

Playing the same twenty+ year old songs every night for years in a row instead of playing a mixed set of new and old songs
(saw FB and the C's four times and those sets were nothing a like even when I saw them in the same week in 2003)might be boring.

I think it's boring anyway. Being bored isn't the greatest state to be when you want to create.

Ahh forget it
I dunno

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Hey Jop, for the record i agree with you 100%. Not feeling this record. Weird because SMYT was all piano, sombre style tunes and it was nearly my fave FB record. This sounds rushed.

SMYT had decent tunes.

It's a shame so many of the songs from recent years seem to have been discarded so soon. NSE's a bit of a mixed bag, but stuff like 'Cinema Star' and 'Lake of Sin' are up there with the best. Shame they've never been played live.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  03:16:37  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah it really sucks that there weren't any NSE gigs. The songs were really good.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  04:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On first listen I didn't really like it either. Everything about it seems too tossed off for my liking - the songs, the production, the performances, the artwork. Seals is nice though, and I think alot of Frank's songs like Curse could have been much better had they been fully realized, but the album feels more like a collection of demos that an actualized album to me.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 07/28/2011 04:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  11:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The production is what it is. No surprises, he announced it. The guitar riff of Ugly Life automatically sticks your mind. Seal is very fine. Praise sounds like Lou Reed's Vicious but less vicious. It's a nice summer album, not mind blowing. But it's like "a good conversation" with a friend. Frank's albums are often good friends.

++++
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  00:18:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

Playing the same twenty+ year old songs every night for years in a row instead of playing a mixed set of new and old songs
(saw FB and the C's four times and those sets were nothing a like even when I saw them in the same week in 2003)might be boring.

I think it's boring anyway. Being bored isn't the greatest state to be when you want to create.

Ahh forget it
I dunno

Hey Jop, for the record i agree with you 100%. Not feeling this record. Weird because SMYT was all piano, sombre style tunes and it was nearly my fave FB record. This sounds rushed.

SMYT had decent tunes.

It's a shame so many of the songs from recent years seem to have been discarded so soon. NSE's a bit of a mixed bag, but stuff like 'Cinema Star' and 'Lake of Sin' are up there with the best. Shame they've never been played live.

seconded!

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  00:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

Ahh forget it
I dunno

SMYT had decent tunes.

seconded!

Revisited 'Svn Fngrs' earlier. Amazing bunch of songs too.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  04:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i still listen to SVN FNGRS all the time, it is a great little ep. Half Man and Lonesome Fetter are among my top FB tunes.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  14:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lonesome Fetter, agreed. I feel it is underrated among the catalogue.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  16:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't help wishing that the record itself was filled out a little more with guitar/keys, but the songs are so strong it doesn't seem to matter. 'When They Come to Murder Me', 'Garbage Heap' and the title track are gems.

Love the guitar/bass tone on all those Wavelength tracks. 'Polly's into Me' is one of the great underrated songs of FB's career.

Anyway, sorry for sidetracking this thread. Aren't there some joint Paley/Francis shows coming up?

Edited by - Ziggy on 07/29/2011 16:16:05
Go to Top of Page

cargro
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  19:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss the mind blowing songs he used to write. Can't find them on the new album. The last great album was svn fngrs. And europe is really waiting for the next tour (not the pixies, just Charles). There are so many great songs that never were played live: from NSE and FMRM!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  06:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought The Golem was a pretty great album, I know the instrumentals and reprises take up a lot of time but there's a plethora of fine songs on it. For me the likes of Bad News, Stars, The Maharal, Stay, Makanujo, Custom All The Way, Miriam & Florian and The Obedient Servant were all mind blowing (or at least very, very pleasing) from the start. I've grown to love Astraroth too.

I haven't given the new one with Paley another listen yet (I'll wait til I buy it on CD) but I didn't think it was particularly bad or anything. Shame about the cover art though.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  07:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I thought The Golem was a pretty great album, I know the instrumentals and reprises take up a lot of time but there's a plethora of fine songs on it. For me the likes of Bad News, Stars, The Maharal, Stay, Makanujo, Custom All The Way, Miriam & Florian and The Obedient Servant were all mind blowing (or at least very, very pleasing) from the start. I've grown to love Astraroth too.

I haven't given the new one with Paley another listen yet (I'll wait til I buy it on CD) but I didn't think it was particularly bad or anything. Shame about the cover art though.

'Astaroth' too!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  12:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to the album again loud and in the dark on a lonesome saturday night, and now I'm really enjoying the album. Turning up the volume has revealed that it actually has quite a good mix, its really warm and full.
I like and agree with the comment about Frank Black albums being like good friends.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  09:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The songs are average at best. Who cares about production, when there's not one song in here that shows a glimpse of this guy's brilliance? Even SVN FNGRS or NSE (I really like this one, but wouldn't pick it as an incredible FB album)have a few great songs.

Since FB seems to release almost everything he comes up with, I hope this sort of collaborations are a way of ditching the misses, while keeping the radio hit singles for his proper albums.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  11:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The songs aren't brilliant, but they're still really solid. I don't think the album is supposed to be, or needs to be brilliant; its a nice low key album that plays well in situtations that call for it.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  12:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

The songs aren't brilliant, but they're still really solid. I don't think the album is supposed to be, or needs to be brilliant; its a nice low key album that plays well in situtations that call for it.

Fair enough. It just seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  05:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had trouble with that grooveshark, and i'm traveling, but i finally had an ear on it.
And it sounds really cool ! I think it works if you forget that idea of "mind blowing songs"
It has a very relaxed and natural vibe. It's the kind of music i started listening years after listening to the pixies, and the teenager i was while listening pixies would have hated it, but that's life: you have to move on, as a listener or as a songwriter...
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  11:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone have any tips on how i can listen to these tracks? when i go to the grooveshark link it says "error playing song". anyone knoe the official release date? thxs.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  02:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

anyone have any tips on how i can listen to these tracks? when i go to the grooveshark link it says "error playing song". anyone knoe the official release date? thxs.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!

September 6

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  11:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spinner - Black Francis and Reid Paley Team Up for 'Crescent Moon' -- Song Premiere.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  12:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What little I heard streaming: Curse reminds me of CULT OF RAY (The Marsist specifically) and that is not a bad thing.

There is also a touch of the HC/FMRM vibe in there as well, for obvious reasons.

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 08/12/2011 20:14:00
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  01:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Spinner - Black Francis and Reid Paley Team Up for 'Crescent Moon' -- Song Premiere.

Cheers Carl - I like this song!

So being "a single" can anyone actually buy these any more, or do they just mean it is a digital single, something that iTunes can plug? Some B sides/extra tracks would be nice..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  22:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused on the titling of this album: is it still called "They Walk By Night" or is it just self-titled "Paley & Francis"?

Or is TWBN another completely different album I read about??

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  00:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it's the latter now.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dbiehl

He,

you can buy the mp3 version of the album at amazon germany,

http://www.amazon.de/Paley-Francis/dp/B0057JQU8A/ref=dm_ap_alb1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311089179&sr=8-1

sounds great
greets

Did anybody download these tracks from amazon.de yet? I tried to, but because of the geographical restrictions BS, I am unable to buy them.

I am looking for an mp3 of Crescent Moon ASAP if anyone has one please! I have pre-ordered the CD album, so BF-RP won't be missing out.

Thanks in advance!!

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 08/27/2011 23:30:36
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  03:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fyi all, looks like the release date for P & F has drifted out to 11th October now.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  20:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nooo. Now they'll have to worry about the fury of Tom Waits too.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  15:43:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ClassicalRey

LOL. Can't wait for the the new Waits... No way could a quick, off the cuff album like this compete with a full blown Waits album, and I highly doubt it was designed to. However, I for one wouldn't be looking to compare.

From what I've heard of Paley (very little) he does sound basically like a Tom Waits knock-off, but that's just my first impression. I'm sure he's solid (especially if FB's working with him). Many Beefheart fan's might say the same of Waits. And many Howlin' Wolf fans might say the same of Beefheart!

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/01/2011 15:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  12:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TheSpec - Supercrawl becoming super big.

...The headline act is Broken Social Scene, a huge draw in Canadian indie rock circles. Also on the bill are Black Francis (of the Pixies), Reid Paley, J Mascis (of Dinosaur Jr.), Dinosaur Bones, Plants and Animals, Hamilton-based electro pop duo the Junior Boys and Juno-winning Vancouver indie-rockers Said The Whale (the band is signed to Hamilton's Hidden Pony record label).

Post-Gazette.com - Fall Arts Preview / Pop CDs: Blast of New Music.

Black Francis/Reid Paley, "Paley & Francis": Edgy Pixies frontman joins forces
with longtime friend Paley, who fronted Pittsburgh punk band The Five in the
early '80s.

Edited by - Carl on 09/08/2011 11:28:36
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  10:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've played at least one show together, haven't they? The only review is from a newspaper where you have to be a subscriber to view it though.
Go to Top of Page

debaser
- FB Fan -

France
120 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  09:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I just discovered that 'Paley & Francis' is available on Spotify (I am in France).

They tried to give me advice
Down at the record shop
-Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  18:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered a copy of Paley and Francis from CD WOW! like two Mondays ago. I just received it today in the states. Evidently, the CD was shipped from Hong Kong. I'll have to let the music digest overnight.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  22:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by ClassicalRey

LOL. Can't wait for the the new Waits... No way could a quick, off the cuff album like this compete with a full blown Waits album, and I highly doubt it was designed to. However, I for one wouldn't be looking to compare.

From what I've heard of Paley (very little) he does sound basically like a Tom Waits knock-off, but that's just my first impression. I'm sure he's solid (especially if FB's working with him). Many Beefheart fan's might say the same of Waits. And many Howlin' Wolf fans might say the same of Beefheart!

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

When I listen to Paley and his band I feel he had a huge influence on the later catholic sound (especially show me your tears). Like playing bar rock without shame, doing it kinda proudly and with style. One big thing about FB is the way he creates things when he tries to sound like somebody else but actually cant. On teenager of the year i thought "wow it sounds like a strange version of dire straits i could actually enjoy".
About Beehfheart I dont thing neither Francis or Paley care about the most experimental stuff de did like "lick my decalls off baby" or "trout mask replica". They're dont seem to dig contemporary art and that kind of stuff... Maybe things like "clear spot" or "Safe as milf"... I thing Black Francis needs a real new interest in music, because he stays on the same basis, a bit like Lemmy Killmister who says "there still nothing better than the beatles". Maybe Lemmy and Francis are super rock n roll but a bit of curiosity never hurts. I still want to listen Francis' reggae album! I'm sure he could make me like reggae.
Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  16:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

It's a nice summer album, not mind blowing. But it's like "a good conversation" with a friend. Frank's albums are often good friends.

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I don't think the album is supposed to be, or needs to be brilliant; its a nice low key album that plays well in situtations that call for it.

I got to agree with you guys. Paley & Francis is a very laid back album. But I think the material could be a response to Frank's laborious Pixies tour. Maybe he just wanted to some stuff on the opposite side of the spectrum of Doolittle, and hey, good friend Paley is around. Let's do something. Maybe a palate cleanser between courses. I'm thinking they decided to change the album title from the harder (but very cool) "They Walk by Night" to the softer "Paley & Francis" to keep on the lighter side. "Paley & Francis" could be the name for a kids album.

Still, there's some good stuff in here. I'm really digging the likes of Seal and Praise, musically and lyrically. There's a lot of witchery stuff going on in Frank's songs. Curses, magic cups, moons, seals, praises.

I've been used to Paley spitting venom, so it was surprising to hear him sing a little more upbeat(ly?). His stuff is still dark, but not as spiteful as he has been.

This album may be overshadowed by their more ambitious works, but I'm still grateful they released it.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  06:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caught the tail end of a Paley interview on Allfm and man did he sound resentful of the 'digital age'. He made some valid points though.

They're playing some of the tracks of the album, 'Ugly Life' still sounds grand.

http://allfm.org/

Edited by - The Maharal on 10/05/2011 06:27:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000