Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  19:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just had dinner with FB and wanted to share what I can with loyal FB.Net members:

Frank Black and Reid Paley are releasing a collaborative album this fall. Reid and Frank have a long history stretching back to the early 80's before the Pixies when, "Reid was in the coolest band in Boston." They have worked together many times and fans will particularly recognize his works in the post-Catholics solo albums.

The album will feature songs sung by both musicians and should join the new Grand Duchy album (which for those that may not know is FB's project with his wife, Violet Clark) in being released later this fall.

In addition, longtime board members will remember The Bennys, which an old FB.Net Moderator (El Barto) used to be a part of in its early years. Frank Black is also helping them to release an album in a move that feels a lot like setting up a record label to this reporter. FB was quick to point out they were basically a record label self-releasing their "Der Golem" soundtrack. That album, it appears, was a harbinger for much more to come.

Hope that is of interest.

-Dean

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  21:21:33  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stopped reading after the first 6 words...

jk. FB producing the Bennies record (that's "Bennies" not "Bennys", Dean), that's really cool. I liked that guy Jeremy quite a lot. I remember them recording with Albini but I never heard what came out of it.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  00:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news Dean, thanks. I hope the FB+RP record has that booze soaked sound of another velvet nightmare and i'm not dead (i'm in Pittsburgh).

Dinner with BF, wow hope that was fun.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  05:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, El Barto. I wonder how he's doing these days? And Sir Rockabye? He's probably married with kids by now.

Oh the news! Great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  06:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool! and any new of the catholics reissues?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  06:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really looking forward to the Black Paisley album. Golden Shore and IMDIIP are among my top four or five songs from Fast Man Raider Man, though I wasn't too keen on Another Velvet Nightmare.

Not as indifferent to Grand Duchy as others seem to be so it should be a good autumn / new year for BF-related stuff.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  07:51:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great, diner with FB! How's El Barto, anyway?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No idea how he's doing, hopefully okay. He had a dark patch there...

We talked a little about the Catholics reissues but nothing new to report. I was trying hard not to bombard him with questions. Do you have any specific questions about the rerelease (or anything else)? I'm bringing him and the crew some pizza and beers in a few hours.

Looking forward to hearing the new Grand Duchy, too. Hoping to have some discussion of it starting in the coming week or two.

BTW, Christian, I'm coming down to Chile for the week of May 22. We'll mostly be in the north but there'll be a few days in/around Santiago and Valparaiso.

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  12:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened with the NSE films by Judy Jacobs?

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  14:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was wondering about that too. Even sent off an email to her / her company earlier. The Silver and Tame videos are pretty cool, haven't seen the others.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  02:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THEY WALK BY NIGHT

From bf dot net news/press:

2011 looks to be an exciting year filled with a bunch of great releases!

Black Francis & Reid Paley recently recorded an album in a few days in Nashville, titled “THEY WALK BY NIGHT”, it will be released this year and distributed by our friends at Sonic Unyon in Canada. Track listing as follows:

1. Curse On You
2. Last Song
3. Crescent Moon
4. Praise
5. Ugly Life
6. Deconstructed
7. Magic Cup
8. Country Song
9. Seal
10. On the Corner

More news forthcoming...

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is awesome news!

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 05/04/2011 11:21:58
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  17:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, good news.

I wonder if it's a two man band thing or if there are other musicians playing.

10 new songs is exciting.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  04:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And was Tiven nearby?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  07:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well. Maybe.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  03:42:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's not bad at all, nothing wrong with him producing!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  08:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except that he's 0 for 2.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  08:50:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fastman Raiderman was decent, I'd give him a point.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  13:00:59  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the Otis Blackwell tribute quite a lot. Lots of fun to listen to.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  07:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Fastman Raiderman was decent, I'd give him a point.

(WARNING: Grotesque bullshit intellectual prose or whatever you call it)
Tiven? Who said it was Tiven anyway?
After a few years it stroke me that Fastman Raiderman is actually Tiven puting every instrument he can and FB cuting the tracks to get something decent, to get something more in the style of Plastic Ono Band or Transformer than the fancy session jam organized by Tiven it actually was.
So in the end it didn't really work as a transformer album because it's not the way it was recorded.
In that point of view, even Christmass works better!
Tiven must be just a very social and professional guy, but good albums need more personality.
(Thinking twice, Honeycomb was very well produced, so I guess this is all bullshit intellectual prose anyway)

Edited by - Grotesque on 05/14/2011 07:08:33
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  09:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he's 0 for 2 because the Honeycomb songs kind of suck for the most part, and Fastman Raiderman had a (single) album's worth of good songs?
Not defending the guy, I don't really know much about producing albums, but it's hard for me to imagine someone help create some incredible album if the songs aren't there.
That said, Tiven took out from the mix the 60's keyboards on 'Kiss My Ring', that keyboard was one of the reasons why I liked the song so much. Stupid twat.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  11:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not to derail this thread further, but velvety's on to something. i think if you don't care much for the nashville albums it's because the songs aren't what you wanted. it has very little to do, i'm sure, about the Tiv.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  07:56:23  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This one will be interesting considering the tracks are "all first takes".
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  09:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

This one will be interesting considering the tracks are "all first takes".

Oh dear.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  13:16:24  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Frank and Mr.Paley have a say in the production.

And you know you wanna hear it.
I bet we'll learn a few to play at home ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  13:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing it all the same!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  13:46:27  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too.

Two friends get together and write some songs good enough for some to pay attention. They do it for a living. I'm jealous.

The anticipation sometimes is the fun part.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  13:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From RP's fb, hope he doesn't mind the repro-

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

seanunyon
- FB Fan -

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  07:40:46  Show Profile  Visit seanunyon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, this is Sean from Sonic Unyon. I am sure some of you might remember me posting on here when we released all the FB & the C's albums in Canada, plus The Purple tapes and Frank Black Francis.

Sonic Unyon will be releasing the new Reid Paley/Black Francis collaboration album. It is now called "Paley & Francis" and it will be out in Canada and the USA on Tuesday, September 13th.

Just a few days before that the guys will be coming up and playing at the Supercrawl Festival that we put together. It's a free show, lots of other bands are playing it too, but the only ones I can announce so far are J Mascis, The Megaphonic Thrift (from Norway) and a local artist named Electroluminescent. All the other bands that are playing will be announced on the morning of July 5th at http://www.supercrawl.ca, but I can tell you there are lots of other great bands playing. It's going to be a great day.

As in the past, if you have any questions for me please feel free to email me at sean at sonicunyon dot com and I will do my best to get back to you with what I know!

Edited by - seanunyon on 06/27/2011 07:41:25
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  11:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exclaim! - Black Francis and Reid Paley to Release 'Paley & Francis'.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  12:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
September release, earlier than what I was expecting. Actually looking forward to this quite a bit now. I'm basing this only on a handful of tracks but I reckon Paley (whom in my head I keep referring to as "Paisley") is the more experimental of the two so it'll be interesting to see how the album turns out. He reminds me of Tom Waits which is no bad thing.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  16:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Sean, and supporting our favourite muso.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  21:25:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks.
Free J Mascis gig... I love his new record.

--

Copy/paste of the press release:

"This album was recorded in two relatively short days this past September 2010 in Nashville, Tennessee. All first takes.

We wrote the music for the songs in Paley's apartment in Brooklyn over three afternoons when Francis was in New York for a three day run at Joe's Pub. After which we each took half of the songs to finish off with lyrics, and Francis went off to meet what he sometimes likes to call "the old band" for another tour.

A few days later, we were recording at Jon Tiven's studio in Nashville. We each sang lead on the songs we wrote lyrics for and sang backup on the others. We worked fast. Francis had Pixies shows each evening, so we had a curfew. Paley recalls finishing the lyrics to one tune literally a minute before cutting the vocal. The two of us on guitars, with legendary Muscle Shoals players David Hood on bass and Spooner Oldham on piano. Damn, those guys are good.

Hope you dig the vibe."

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose this is the official (pretty cool) artwork:

http://cookingvinyl.com/press/d/11676-1/COOKCD540++-+CDR+PALEYFRANCIS_COVER_PROMO-LTRBX.pdf

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  03:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We worked fast. Francis had Pixies shows each evening, so we had a curfew. Paley recalls finishing the lyrics to one tune literally a minute before cutting the vocal."

I don't really understand why this type of thing is suppose to be a good thing. I understand the romance of spontaneity, but one of the things I like best about Frank Black songs is the cleverness (and craft) of the lyrics. That isn't likely happen on such a rushed schedule. I remember similar descriptions of the Honeycomb sessions. I hope I love the album, but this press release doesn't raise my expectations.
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  03:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darwin, it doesn't sound like they had much choice than to work in such a rush. I'm looking forward to hearing what came of this unconventional process.

Damn, how I wish I could make one or more of these BF+RP shows... fingers crossed that these fellers press on across the continent.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000