Frank Black on 120 Minutes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  14:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Courtesy of Slicing Up Eyeballs I discovered some lovely performances of Headache and Sir Rockaby that were played on 120 Minutes back in the day. Seems BF hosted the show one time. Most of the episode can be watched here (US only, sadly). The live renditions were uploaded to YouTube though. Love the Sir Rockaby one.

Sir Rockaby
Headache

(They also put up on YouTube the episode where Pixies were the guest co-hosts. Contains a lovely amount of awkwardness - so obvious that BF hated the host Dave Kendall.)

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  23:06:09  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome. I downloaded these from some random site some years ago but they were only 30 second clips.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  06:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting to hear those big rythm chords in a supposed soft song like Sir Rockaby, because I have a theory that any Fb song could be played rock or not (especially thinking about the so called change in the honeycomb era, wich i didnt really believed in, cos in terms of composition it was really close).
In Toty Sir Rockaby is very soft, but here in this video you realize it could perfectly played it as a big rock.
Like you could imagine a song like "suffering" sounding like the toty version of sir rockaby, musically it's not very far. It's more the lyrics that seem to guide the arrangements. Why? Because Frank plays guitar always the same, kinda punching it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2022 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going to make a thread but found this. Much of the show is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHlVTrYORio

Lots of nice TMBG talk :)
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2022 :  07:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic. I'm so happy he also loves the Neil Young Wonderin' video. It's a great song and video. Incidentally so is American Music by Vioent Femmes but he didn't seem to know that.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2022 :  15:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He basically played all of my favorite bands: TMBG, Ween, Violent Femmes and Morrissey. Wow. What a night.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000