Portland
Fri, 05/06/11 8:00pm

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1217630/?dma_id=362

Fuck yeah.

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  09:16:09  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the day after Pixies playing up the 5 in Victoria. I guess it's possible?

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  03:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is off topic of the above show but linked to the above link .

So on the right side of the above ticketmaster link there is an ad for iTunes. Is that really his Top Ten downloads? I don't have iTunes and I was wondering how they categorize his solo music? Is Black Francis separate from Frank Black and FB&TC's? I feel like such a horrible fan seeing as the only song I recognized was Threshold Apprehension. As a so called fan I stink.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  05:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas, I think that Top Ten download list is populated by a simple match on "artist name." If you go to the iTunes store and search for "Frank Black," you'd recognize a good deal more of the songs in that list.
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  05:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
matto, anything is possible. You've just gotta believe.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  05:59:29  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Either way I'm such a bad fan. Shame on me.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  04:16:32  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK it's confirmed, I believe, I believe! I can't make it down though.

Thomas you will not be quizzed on song titles. It's just music. Enjoy what you can!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  18:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blurb from the show listing in the local weekly paper, a little too bitchy for my taste but not wildly off base in its assessment: http://wweek.com/portland/event-56440-black_francis.html

"[BACK IN BLACK] A solo performance by Black Francis—a.k.a. Pixies frontman and underground superhero Frank Black—can go one of two ways: He can either detachedly pluck away like a decompressed Michelin Man or bring a one-man ruckus. Hopefully the latter. But who really gives a fuck? Black is Black, and with tracks from last year’s Nonstoperotik and the B-sides collection Abbabubba at his disposal, even an uninterested Black is more interesting than most one-man shows. Plus, you’re sure to enjoy scoffing at the idiot next to you shouting “Where Is My Mind!” between every song. "
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  04:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and Where is My Mind is a question; not a declaration.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
check. mate.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per the Aladdin site, Mark Lemhouse will be the opening act for this show. I don't believe I've heard any of his music, only know the design stuff he's done for BFB. Looking forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  21:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, what a terrific show. So damn good, start to finish.

Mark Lemhouse was good. He played guitar and sang, accompanied by a fellow playing pedal steel. Nice, solid set, quality original songs, terrific attitude, and some pleasant, funny banter with the crowd.

BF came out and rolled right into "Where is My Mind?", getting that one out of the way, as he put it. He got off to a bit of an uneven start, and I found myself wondering if some combination of wine and road weariness had compromised his ability to rock. But my goodness did he hit his stride about four songs in and completely kick ass from that point forward.

I pray someone else will provide a definitive set list... here are the songs I remember being played, though they're definitely not in the order they were played:

Where is My Mind?
I Burn Today
Cactus (he spelled out "T - R - E - X")
Dog Gone
Goodbye, Lorraine
All My Ghosts
Los Angeles
Headache
Velouria
No. 13 Baby
Crackity Jones
Wave of Mutilation
U-Mass.
Head On
Robert Onion
Holiday Song
Horrible Day
That Burnt Out Rock and Roll
Brackish Boy
Caribou
Planet of Sound (extended version... lots of fuckin' around, which was great)

He seemed to be in a great mood, played for about 75 minutes straight, bounced around blissfully from song to song. Talked a bit about the guys who inspired Crackity Jones and Brackish Boy. Talked about the guitar technician/wizard who was able to lighten his four identical (and identically heavy) guitars by smoking them. (!?!) Complained about the exorbitant rates for text messaging from Canada.

Merch note: There were some interesting Golem tee shirts I hadn't noticed before (I see they're on the bf.net web store) but, alas, didn't have any in my size.

All in all, a great show in a great room with a great crowd. I realized it had been much too long since I last saw a proper BFB show. And the icing on this delicious cake was a brief chat with Violet Clark and Jason Carter after the show. What a lucky fan I am.
Go to Top of Page

apheleon
- FB Fan -

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  21:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great show - opening with where is my mind and closing with planet of sound! great set list of pixies favorites and various solo classics. fun background banter for brackish boy and crackity jones, as well as a nice story about his guitars that are serviced by a japanese guy in LA who took his guitar to japan to "smoke it" to make it lighter. oh, and the audience did a great job on filling in the backing vocals for headache.
Go to Top of Page

apheleon
- FB Fan -

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  21:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ed is dead was also played
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  03:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a fun show.

He explained that process in a post on this forum a few years back. His four 'Contemporary' Teles (the white one with humbuckers he played til the mid Nineties).
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  04:01:29  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://newmusictoday.blogspot.com/ Cut Video and Lots Of Photos Here : )

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  06:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. Nice to see one of those Teles make a rare appearance!
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  16:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Struck me as strange that not one of the songs from the new/current Black Francis era (from was played in last night's set. Probably because I've been listening to "The Golem" rock disc so much lately, I assumed at least one of those terrific newer songs would take a bow.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  22:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a shame. So much stuff from the last few years that's never been played live.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000