New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read that he's playing again at the Beachcomber this year on September 2nd. Just got my tix......

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  17:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like so much fun. Let us know how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  12:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey grmcmahon, I really enjoyed both of the shows I have seen there. Where did you read that? I looked on the Beachcomber website and did not see anything and did not see anything on BF.net. Definitely want to be there.
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  18:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
moonruler...here is the link for tickets...

http://www.thebeachcomber.com/tickets/details?id=8055
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  18:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out via the Wellfleet Beachcomber on Facebook......I was there last year and it was great! Electric all night....not sure if it was white wine or what but he was pretty laid back and having a good time......and a great set!!
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  18:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...it was FB...

http://www.facebook.com/wellfleetbeachcomber
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  08:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks! Although not everyone seemed to enjoy the last show there, I thought it was fantastic. Can't wait to see number three; maybe it will be an acoustic and electric set.
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  17:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I hear ya'....the set was great but if you were expecting only Pixies you were out of luck.....I thought it was great from beginning to end.....the opener was Los Angeles and he closed with Sing for Joy.....awesome.....and he was just there to play some tunes and have a good time...and he clearly did....all electric which surprised me....I thought it was a great mix of tunes but I have all his solo stuff....if I just went for Pixies I would have been a tad disappointed but, for me, it was just the opposite......
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  05:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it had nothing to do with a lack of pixies songs, the less the better in my opinion

it was a poor show because frank was clearly in a poor mood and overly antagonistic and drunk

i felt uncomfortable most of the time

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  17:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well....I thought the crowd wanted to hear a lot of Pixies. I thought he was very affable. Said he was going to be there for a while and playing so, if people had to leave to get up for work or school, they could feel free. I was doing neither, since I was staying at a hotel up the street, so I thought the show was great. Song selection covered a lot of bases. Sure, he had a few glasses of wine but, what they hell, he comes back to MA once a year solo at the Beachcomber and should just be able to kick back for the fans and play what he wants to play. How often do you get to see a genius like he is in a venue like that? 'Sing for Joy' was a perfect ending!!!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  09:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BostonHerald.com - Black Francis brings ‘Erotik’ art to intimate space.
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  02:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If youre seeing frank without the pixies dont expect to hear him play a bunch of pixies songs. He has hundreds of other songs that are just as good if not better, so if you were going for frank to play pixies songs thats pretty stupid. His solo career is flooded with awesomeness and I would love a chance to see him solo or with a 3 piece electric.
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  05:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the show last night and it was great!!! His cousin opened up and he was pretty good. We were hanging out with some aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was like a family reunion. His brother was there too. Great selection of songs. Frank (or as his family called him 'Chuck') was in great spirits. Great voice and guitar playing. Eric Drew Feldman was strong. I forget the drummer's name but he's originally from Weymouth MA. It was a very Cape Cod/New England evening. Had a blast.
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  10:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't get back to the East coast for the show :( A good friend of mine went, here's his 'Mini-review':

Killer, TINY place right on the beach...very cool, he did some Pixies, some Teanager of the Year, FB& the Catholics stuff, some newer Black Francis stuff. He played Calistan, my all time Fave FB solo tune. It was a three piece with him on ...guit/voc Eric Drew Feldman on bass and pump organ and another guy (originally from Weymouth!) on drums (a really cool mini kit, just a floor tom, snare and two cymbals) Really loose and laid back, lots of between song banter. He actually claimed to be deaf at one point when a guy was trying to talk to him from the crowd, refered to himself as 'the Beethoven of indie rock, I'm stone deaf, I just play all these songs from muscle memory.' hilarious!

-----------------------------
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  15:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might not be exact but this is pretty much the set list....Black Rider was first though...

1.Six-Sixty-Six (Larry Norman cover)
2.The Black Rider (Tom Waits cover)
3.Horrible Day
4.Nimrod's Son (Pixies cover)
5.Big Red
6.Cactus (Pixies cover)
7.Callistan
8.Bullet
9.Dog in the Sand
10.The Swimmer
11.I Heard Ramona Song
12.Ten Percenter
13.Planet of Sound (Pixies cover)
14.Los Angeles
15.(I Wanna Live On An) Abstract Plain
16.That Burnt Out Rock And Roll (Gary Green cover)
17.Get Away Oil
18.Deadman's Curve
19.Manitoba
Encore:
20.Sing For Joy
Go to Top of Page

grmcmahon
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  17:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JL5W0-PyE
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  18:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if i had any idea this was going to be a full band show w/ edf (in which they completely reinterpreted tired staples like nimrod's son [and who knows what else got a new groove going]) i wouldn't have skipped it this year

edit: okay, also if my cape cottage hadn't been occupied by my aunt and uncle that night

this looked amazing

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 09/13/2010 18:59:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000