Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  04:32:51  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Google Play true blue is mislabeled.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

mrbuff
- FB Fan -

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  07:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like others, no print but happy to hear everyone else is in the same boat.

I've only had a chance to listen to the first CD and so far I am surprised how much more remastering appears than I originally thought. It seemed downplayed on the pledgemusic site as I think just some volume leveling and slight touch-ups but to my ears the sound has been improved.

Part 1 is complete, the box set is finally out.
Part 2 is a tour. I can hope. Already made plans with my brother for a multi-date road trip if it ever happens. Can't do another Pixies show, it's just not comparable.
Go to Top of Page

bennym
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  11:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Selkie (w vox) was during SMYT sessions @ Hollywood Sound. Blizzard was 3rd Encore between DW and SMYT-- Charles & Rich G. JTR & Shrimp Song were in 2001 @ Sound City B room w Gersh on drums. Also that Belle Isle was during DW sessions. I recorded these w the mobile studio. Ben M
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

The booklet ia a bit scant on recording details.

Anyone know what sessions or years Selkie Bride | Blizzard 1989 | John The Revelator | Song Of The Shrimp were cut?

I have the key to #902

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  22:09:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bennym!

I love the alternative versions of some songs. Are there any more of these interesting things in the vaults?
Any funny false starts or big mistakes caught on tape? Oh would buy a box of FB and the C's full of tossed off versions.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  03:00:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another quick question:

There are three different versions of Humboldt County Massacre on disc 3. The first one is unreleased, the second one is from SSMVGD and the third is the b-side of All My Ghosts.
However, I had the impression that the SSMVGD-version was also unreleased officially. Am I wrong?

I love this song. Not sure if I want to listen to it 3 times in a row, but that's what you get when you A-Z your tracklisting!

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  03:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Ben! Yes I recall Belle Isle and Some Things (maybe as well?) were from the Devil's Workshop sessions when I bought Snake Oil back in the day. Great to hear them all, been worth the wait! and the A ~ Z track sequencing kind of works well for me too :)

quote:
Originally posted by bennym

Selkie (w vox) was during SMYT sessions @ Hollywood Sound. Blizzard was 3rd Encore between DW and SMYT-- Charles & Rich G. JTR & Shrimp Song were in 2001 @ Sound City B room w Gersh on drums. Also that Belle Isle was during DW sessions. I recorded these w the mobile studio. Ben M
quote:

The booklet ia a bit scant on recording details.

Anyone know what sessions or years Selkie Bride | Blizzard 1989 | John The Revelator | Song Of The Shrimp were cut?

I have the key to #902

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

JB
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  03:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does the remastering sound like on tracks from Black Letter Days & Devil's Workshop? I really like the songs on those albums but feel they are let down by the production (or should I say LACK of production). I was hoping the remastering would improve them.
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

294 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  08:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JB

What does the remastering sound like on tracks from Black Letter Days & Devil's Workshop? I really like the songs on those albums but feel they are let down by the production (or should I say LACK of production). I was hoping the remastering would improve them.

By the way, I notice that the box set now up on Spotify... if anyone (or everyone) would like to give it a listen.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  10:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know when the unreleased Changing of the Guards was recorded? I read it was redone Pistolero era but the piano and polished vocals make me think it could have been a later effort? Love this verion! Also, its probably not but Selkie Bride instrumental version sounds like Joey S guitar.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  11:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh... whats with the version of le cigar volante on this set? Where is the version that was on iTunes? This set doesn't seem very "complete"..

Edit: Another edit I found to be annoying.. on The Man Who Was Too Loud they removed the ending! "Though he loved to rock and roll... oh I better not."

-Marcus

Edited by - marcusb on 05/08/2015 12:34:23
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  15:20:56  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcusb

Ugh... whats with the version of le cigar volante on this set? Where is the version that was on iTunes? This set doesn't seem very "complete"..

Edit: Another edit I found to be annoying.. on The Man Who Was Too Loud they removed the ending! "Though he loved to rock and roll... oh I better not."

-Marcus

This version of Le Cigar Volante is from the SSMVGD sessions. The acoustic version from the Japanese Version of Dog In The Sand is not included in the set.

Religion won't save me, the damage is done. The future has ended before it's begun.
Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  19:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some Things seems to be a different version than the on released on iTunes years ago. Right? What's up with that?
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  02:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankblackphx

quote:

-Marcus

This version of Le Cigar Volante is from the SSMVGD sessions. The acoustic version from the Japanese Version of Dog In The Sand is not included in the set.

Religion won't save me, the damage is done. The future has ended before it's begun.
Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

I suppose that makes some sense.. the other one wasn't "and the Catholics" I guess.. though it was included on One More Road For The Hit. I guess I'll have to track down the japanese DITS.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  02:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering why Bullet (Instrumental) that was on the Crime And Punishment In Suburbia Soundtrack was excluded from the box-set?

That is a great version!! I was surprised and disappointed it was omitted to be honest ...

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  04:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to hear this in chronological order.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  06:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just wondering why Bullet (Instrumental) that was on the Crime And Punishment In Suburbia Soundtrack was excluded from the box-set?

That is a great version!! I was surprised and disappointed it was omitted to be honest ...

I have the key to #902

Im pretty sure the version on the Soundtrack is credited to just Frank Black (without the Catholics).

There was a thread some time ago listing all FB's performances on radio (a collector was going through all footage etc) and a segment of Bullet was played on a radio show in 94 I believe.

I don't know if this is the same version on the soundtrack (as on the radio show) but the song itself predates the Catholics.

Shame too as it is a great version and the soundtrack to that movie is also great. I bought the Crowded Lonesome West by Modest Mouse on the strength of it.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  14:33:39  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When ITunes sees the True Blue disc, it says "Rarities (Red Letter Days)", which kinda makes you wonder...

Edited by - hammerhands on 05/11/2015 15:04:06
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  03:37:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sovuz2OZ2tY The Polaris KEXP session videos are available.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  03:40:13  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sovuz2OZ2tY The Polaris KEXP session videos are available.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxW0GBadm8

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  03:43:35  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GYpEgpReQ

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  03:47:32  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GYpEgpReQ

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtA68Tz9s0

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  23:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's some nice quoting of quotes you've got there, pixie punk.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  00:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had a copy of SSMVGD.. are the versions of songs like His Kingly Cave different from DW?

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  04:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never had a copy of SSMVGD.. are the versions of songs like His Kingly Cave different from DW?

-Marcus

Yes Kingly Cave is a lovely version on SSMVGD, I think I prefer it. Its been a while since I recorded it but it has more atmospherics, maybe echo and sounds less polished.

You are in for a treat. Pan American Highway is just epic. An epic road movie set to music. Incredible song.

I also love Angst and this version of I will run after you.

Very cool record.Enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  05:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

-Marcus

Yes Kingly Cave is a lovely version on SSMVGD, I think I prefer it. Its been a while since I recorded it but it has more atmospherics, maybe echo and sounds less polished.

You are in for a treat. Pan American Highway is just epic. An epic road movie set to music. Incredible song.

Oh, I've heard Pan American. One of his best tunes. His Kingly Cave is only represented by the DW version which is disappointing.

Does anybody have SSMVGD in FLAC they'd be willing to share? I'd kinda like to hear the original unpolished versions.

-Marcus

Edited by - marcusb on 05/13/2015 05:53:24
Go to Top of Page

mrbuff
- FB Fan -

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  07:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure this has been mentioned but when I transferred Disc 2 to my pc it listed the song as "Don't Clip You Wings", so make the correction.
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  09:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

-Marcus

Oh, I've heard Pan American. One of his best tunes. His Kingly Cave is only represented by the DW version which is disappointing.

Does anybody have SSMVGD in FLAC they'd be willing to share? I'd kinda like to hear the original unpolished versions.

-Marcus

As would I!
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  09:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else notice that "Changing of the Guards" from the "All My Ghosts" single is different from either of the two versions contained in the box set?

Edited by - Aerohead on 05/13/2015 10:34:31
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  11:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aerohead

Anyone else notice that "Changing of the Guards" from the "All My Ghosts" single is different from either of the two versions contained in the box set?

I don't have this single. Is it a whole different take?

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  22:57:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The intro is different for sure

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  01:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liner notes are a disappointment. Would have liked something more comprehensive. Also, some live shows for download would be good.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  12:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's SSMVGD in FLAC, converted from the original SHN (which nothing supports any more)...

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/73143159c5/sundaysunny.zip

Pretty sure* the actual original release was by Mr J Dubs, then of The Bennies!

(* As in not libel-ly sure)

Note: on that page, click "Direct download link", nothing else.

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]

Edited by - DruggedBunnyToo on 05/16/2015 00:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  17:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2015 :  01:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So His Kingly Cave is the only song we didn't get in the box set.. which is a shame, I like this version a lot.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2015 :  14:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was My name is Gary from??? Who played on that shit?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000