Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  22:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that The Golem and NSE have both been digested i have to say that The Golem really is the gift that keeps giving. I have pretty much discarded NSE unfortunately, but The Golem gets spun (no spin /digitally) on nearly a daily basis.
I have come to accept that NSE is just not my cup of tea and I’ll wait for the next release hoping that will be of my taste. However with The Golem I have come to appreciate all its minute little quirks, the ethereal interludes and those excellent bits where all the build up climaxes into a mix of great guitar, vocals, horns, drums etc.
It is a great record and one i wish was released to the masses with the same level of PR/Marketing as NSE. I mean there was quite a lot of press regarding NSE. Even in Ireland we had reviews for the NSE record in nearly all major national publications. But the not many people get to hear i.m.o, the coolest record of the year so far.
The Golem has elements of all my favourite FB records encapsulated within it. E.G, the opening credits tune has a great creepy start which builds to that funky horn section, this has the FB self titled J.Linnel / K Hoffman grooves. It then dissipates into that sweeping guitar line, which gives a slight breather before bad news kicks in. That little guitar bit evokes what i find only FB/BF can do. It’s a detached cinematic break where you can consider the great grooves that have just passed and anticipate the next one.
I'm not going to go into every song, but the breadth of variety on this record is amazing. from a song like the Conjuring with its weird harpsichord start and frenetic finish to Custom all the way which is a real slow burner full of lush instrumentation. This record is a 10/10 in my book. Well done Black Francis and band. I hope the rock edit version is released soon (with minimal edit).
Please discuss, how would you rate this record upagainst the back catalouge?

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  06:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right. I can't complain either. Initially, somehow, I didn't dig it so much. I was listening to it for the first time through those youtube clips of the movie. I thought that would be better, but that wasn't the case for me. I enjoyed it much much more on its own.

Sam, that opener kills me and I hope they keep it on the edited disc. In general, I skip the interludes and reprises, but some of them really are great.

Overall, it's hard to argue that NSE is a stronger album. I like it, but not as much as the Golem. Frank hasn't made an album I haven't enjoyed on at least some level (yes, we are spoiled).

Comparing Golem with the rest of his catalog, I'd say it's up there. Time will tell. Better than SMYT, if that says anything.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  07:48:01  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Golem's good but NSE is better.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  08:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Golem's good but NSE is better.

Denis

This.

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 4 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  09:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even with the muddy production?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  10:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds bright, beautiful and bombastic to me. EDF's production on both the Golem and NSE have been great.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  10:31:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NSE does sound muddy. Totally ruins DMC especially. But I don't know, I like it quite a bit.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  11:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice write up Sam. I've spun the two albums about the same and The Golem always get the livlier reception. For me NSE doesn't pale in comparison though, they're just different animals that's all. But I totally agree about "the minute little quirks and the ethereal interludes" - they really allow you to get lost in that world of the tiny shtetl. I have tried listening to a condensed version (a Denis playlist I think) and that was pretty good too as a stand alone. It's a win-win I reckon.

I still think Bad News Theme (one of the interludes from the film that didn't make the CD) should have made the CD. I ripped it and it fits perfectly between tracks 5 and 6, the same place it occupies in the film. Listen here (the first 30 secs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMyKDBYARE or download a trimmed mp3 here http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6wwmo Why shouldn't Bad News get a theme of its own like all the others?

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  13:08:12  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I slightly prefer NSE, but love 'em both. The instrumentation is great on NSE, but agree though that the mix is pretty bad. How does that happen in this day and age? I can't think of another album in my collection that has a a murkier sound...except some parts of DW & BLD....
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  01:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

Right. I can't complain either. Initially, somehow, I didn't dig it so much. I was listening to it for the first time through those youtube clips of the movie. I thought that would be better, but that wasn't the case for me. I enjoyed it much much more on its own.

Sam, that opener kills me and I hope they keep it on the edited disc. In general, I skip the interludes and reprises, but some of them really are great.

Overall, it's hard to argue that NSE is a stronger album. I like it, but not as much as the Golem. Frank hasn't made an album I haven't enjoyed on at least some level (yes, we are spoiled).

Comparing Golem with the rest of his catalog, I'd say it's up there. Time will tell. Better than SMYT, if that says anything.

Wow realmeanmotorscutor, that says a alot to me. SMYT is my favourite catholics record.

Yeah - i didnt want to come across as being disrespectful of NSE. As Trobrianders says it is just a different animal. A Completely different animal.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  01:37:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had to listen again to the Golem yesterday - something I hadn't done in weeks. And yeah, it's really really great. Comparing it with NSE makes no sense. I guess I like the latter more because it's 3 times shorter and thus I've played it a lot more.
The first 4 or 5 songs on the Golem aren't my favorites though. To me it really kicks off with The Maharal. From then on it's a real beauty.
I won't be popular but I'll say I'm not impressed with the instrumentation. The live discs are the best IMO cause that's how it was meant to be heard. There's stuff that I absolutely love (the intro to The Conjuring, the accordion on Ghetto Gates), but on some other tracks (track #1 for instance) it sounds a bit dry. I wish there were more musicians on some of the songs. The songwriting on the other hand is stellar.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  03:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disagree with the live discs being superior, vilainde. It's a fair point about how they were meant to be heard, but play a song like Bad News in studio & live version back to back and the live version really pales.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  04:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird Denis, i love the 1st song. The opening credits one. That is a kick ass sax / horn freakout. Mind you, the You're gonna Pay tune which has the lyrics added is great too. Also Astaroth imo, is a great tune, i wasnt crazy about it at first but it is another grower. Like that again though, the 2nd version that comes in at the end of the conjuring is fantastic. That one is guitar lead rather than piano lead and it really makes me think of the Catholics around Dog in the sand era. Just so loose but full of grooves. (see blast off / robert onion) This is one hell of a record. If i could get some of BF's inspiration and bottle it the world would be a better place. How does he keep coming up with this stuff? I have had the Golem for about a month or 6 weeks i guess but i still keep finding bits that i had previously dismissed now giving me that eargasm.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  17:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great post, Sam. I totally agree with you.

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  00:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you buy just a digital copy of Golem yet? I agree, NSE just doesn't do it for me.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  01:22:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's available on streaming for free at bf.net

Denis

Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  05:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  08:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it's clearly one of his best albums, it's all good, and the songs get better and better with some time.
I'll buy the rock version, hoping that EDF just left what is clearly long and repeating, but the record has to be a long one anywa&y because there is so much good material.
Anybody knows the EDF setlist for that version? Everything that is repeated has to go, but with the double complete songs it's quite tricky... I cant really choose wich Maharal I prefer. Maybe the quiet one (the second one) but I'm not sure at all. I like the rockier one but it's more like the catholics, the accoustic one is more some new taste with a better singing. Same for Asathoth, I probably prefer the piano relatively quiet version (the first one). The word: definitly the second one (quiet).
I much prefer You're gonna pay (even as a first song) than the preview that opens the complete album. It's complicated, I'm very intrested in EDF's choices, The Golem can be some completely different record, much easier to listen, but it must keep his magic.

Edited by - Grotesque on 05/27/2010 08:53:21
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  18:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.blackfrancis.net/

NEWS

DATE: 01-06-2019
While the Pixies are continuing on through Europe, The Bureau is putting finishing touches on the newest Golem packages. The first of which
to be released sometime this month is a condensed 60 minute, rock opera version of the original 2-disc score (something that wasn't included in the initial release of the 500 books). Track listing as follows:

1. Miriam And Florian Theme
2. Makanujo
3. Bad News
4. The Flower Song
5. (Oh How I Wish I Could) Stay
6. The Word
7. Astraroth
8. The Obedient Servant
9. The Maharal
10. Little Stars
11. Miriam And Florian
12. The Conjuring
13. Meet Me At The Ghetto Gates
14. Stars
15. Custom All The Way
16. You're Gonna Pay
17. The Word (reprise)
18. The Maharal (reprise)

We have been hearing from plenty of people who weren't able to pick up one of the 500 special booklets which were released at the Black Francis web store back in February, and so are happy to be introducing new incarnations of THE GOLEM. You can also expect to see the DVD version (with complete score included) on the web store this summer as well.

THE BUREAU
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  19:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, I bought the box set, but it's nice to have the official tracklist of the condensed version. I'll make the playlist and listen to it sometime this week (busy with essays and other summer school stuff).

Question to anyone involved: Is Miriam and Florian Theme version 1, if not which one?

------------------------

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 06/06/2010 19:12:14
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  13:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Cool, I bought the box set, but it's nice to have the official tracklist of the condensed version. I'll make the playlist and listen to it sometime this week (busy with essays and other summer school stuff).

Question to anyone involved: Is Miriam and Florian Theme version 1, if not which one? [quote]

I'd like to know too.

If there are no significant embellishments and/or edits on the Rock Opera Version, just a re-arrangement of existing tracks - what incentive is there to buy one if you already have the box-set? I'd always thought I would definitely buy the Rock version when released, but now I am not so sure.. Probably will still get one one.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  13:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's more for all the people they mentioned that didn't buy the golem box set in time, or the people who didnt want the whole boxset and were waiting for the rock disc. I'm guessing, but i could be wrong, that this wont be a limited edition thing, so this'll be the golem new comers will be buying from now on. All speculation though.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  04:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you guys think the second chorus of The Maharal deflates whatever the song was building on? Do you guys think it's intentional and connected to the lyrics? "And all of this for nothing, after all my huffing and puffing". Kind of unusual for a rock song to go quiet in the second chorus. But if it's connected to the lyrics, I love it even more. Is it weariness (I don't know what this word means, but I like it) he's singing about, regarding to the character? i don't know much about the Maharal...?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  13:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it probably has the most to do with it fitting well in the sequence of the film - it also makes the coda or end-bit have more of an impact.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  19:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my local entertainment rag runs a `songs you must download now` section in the paper. it is just one little part of a page with about 10 songs each week. dead man`s curve from NSE made the cut a couple weeks ago and it brought a smile to my face......

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  06:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

[quote]Originally posted by Brank_Flack

If there are no significant embellishments and/or edits on the Rock Opera Version, just a re-arrangement of existing tracks - what incentive is there to buy one if you already have the box-set? I'd always thought I would definitely buy the Rock version when released, but now I am not so sure.. Probably will still get one one.

I have the key to #902

I'm not sure you could make a rock edit by yourself with the Long version.
Maybe some titles that flow from one track to another have beem remixed without the transitions...
Anyway I really want to hear the golem as a straight rock album, the long version is too long, sometimes when I listen to it I feel I'm hearing the same album twice (or more). I felt asleep several times listening to it (I do the same with most Sonic Youth records)! 75 minutes is too much, apart from some masterpieces like Teenager of the year or Trout Mask Replica, Double Nickels on the Dime... I dont think the golem was concieved as a 80 minutes double album, so lets know its final form as a rock album...

Edited by - Grotesque on 06/16/2010 06:05:08
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  11:38:16  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there's a news section on the bf site?

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anybody know what it´s the difference between the old and the new golem disc?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  22:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  22:34:45  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hot damn.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  02:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great great great!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  14:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

I have the key to #902

That is so AMAZING!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  21:05:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... yeah but what does that mean? BF.net doesn't work at all from here. Is it the cover for the edit disc/dvd? Any more news about a release date?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  19:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denis, I don't know. All I know is I got really excited graphic has Dasies on it.

I am in the dark just as you. The site bf.net is so bad I can't find the news; I can't find the store. I have just given up on that place entirely. That picture from 1965 was just like a ray of hope for me of something new from there.

So, I know that doesn't answer your questions because I have the same ones.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  03:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the pic on twitter, it is on f-book too I think. No explanation, it was just there. Looks like maybe the DVD cover by the shape, but could just be promotional artwork or a flyer too I guess... ?? Anyway something is coming..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  05:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks 1965.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic