Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  18:06:20  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always thought My Terrible Ways, Fitzgerald, Elijah, It's Just Not Your Moment was a great sequence. It's Just Not Your Moment might just be my favorite on the whole shebang. I really love that effervescent groove it has. Yeah, I said effervescent. That's a hell of a word.

Anyway, does anyone know who the F Fitzgerald is about? Is it someone Charles knew/knows, or is it one of his historical songs written from a third-party perspective? Fitzgerald is an awesome song by the way. I think I'm going to listen to it now.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  18:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was someone who drank at the bar that Frank's dad owned in Massachusetts.

And all of this for nuthin', after all my huffin' and puffin'.
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  02:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved FMRM from the first note of If Your Poison Gets You. The horns, the sparse recording, and of course the songwriting. When I first heard it I was in a somewhat depressed stage of my life and I rode this album all the way through it. I could say a lot of things about a lot of tracks and it seems like people have a lot of love for Fitzgerald and Elijah, but I have to say i love how those songs sound like the east coast, I can almost see the waves of the Atlantic hitting the rocky Mass. shore. Those songs sound like what Springsteen has been trying to do for his whole career, and I like a little bit of Springsteen (not much, but a little), but Frank gets that sound just right. FMRM is no different than any other of CT's albums in that if you expect something from it, you will probably not get what you're expecting, and also the songwriting is genius and unconventional, but the genius of FMRM is in trying to hide the unconventional part. Frank playing with cliche in a way he never has. And all the critics in the room say, "He hasn't been able to find himself since he left the Pixies."
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  03:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapperj

I loved FMRM from the first note of If Your Poison Gets You. The horns, the sparse recording, and of course the songwriting. When I first heard it I was in a somewhat depressed stage of my life and I rode this album all the way through it. I could say a lot of things about a lot of tracks and it seems like people have a lot of love for Fitzgerald and Elijah, but I have to say i love how those songs sound like the east coast, I can almost see the waves of the Atlantic hitting the rocky Mass. shore. Those songs sound like what Springsteen has been trying to do for his whole career, and I like a little bit of Springsteen (not much, but a little), but Frank gets that sound just right. FMRM is no different than any other of CT's albums in that if you expect something from it, you will probably not get what you're expecting, and also the songwriting is genius and unconventional, but the genius of FMRM is in trying to hide the unconventional part. Frank playing with cliche in a way he never has. And all the critics in the room say, "He hasn't been able to find himself since he left the Pixies."

Real nice. Nicely put. It's posts like these that make me go back to it.

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  04:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Trobianders. Now that I got thinking about this album I wanted to add one more thing, although I could go on and on. I like to think of Kiss My Ring as Frank's version of the technique (mainly used in hip-hop) of making a song about how awesome you are. While there are obviously other levels to the lyric, I don't think what I'm saying escaped his attention. While he always been a humble guy, he has to love his work or he wouldn't continue. So, when he sings that line "Kiss my ring, I am the greatest...now let it linger" I'm always like "fuck yeah-you tell em."
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  08:08:23  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

"I go a thousand miles 'fore I get me to sleep

You think I'm exaggerating, baby?

That ain't nothing to me

See me I'm gunning it just as fast as I can

I'm a fast man"

I think of the young Frank Black gaining ground in his yellow Caddie
Some lyrics allow the listener to ride "shotgun"

i never noticed the lyrics were so awesome. i'd love to hear fast man just acoustic and realy realy slowwwwwwwwwww.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  05:51:35  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

a little love for "Fast Man"........ please??? I love it - Am I the only one? come on guys - that's an awesome tune - I can't believe it's so overlooked. If you don't like that tune well then there's something wrong with you

Sorry, can't help you. This song bores me to death.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  06:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Fast Man and You Can't Crucify Yourself are my least favourite part of Disc 1 - really kills the momentum after poison/barleycorn

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 1 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  08:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Yeah, Fast Man and You Can't Crucify Yourself are my least favourite part of Disc 1 - really kills the momentum after poison/barleycorn

------------------------

love both of them. the lead on crucify is real nice.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  10:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I like it too.

The LA songs sound a lot better though. I read that they put a lot of efforts trying to establish a uniform 'sound' for the record during the mixing stage, but didn't have much luck.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  20:43:41  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Yeah I like it too.

The LA songs sound a lot better though. I read that they put a lot of efforts trying to establish a uniform 'sound' for the record during the mixing stage, but didn't have much luck.

I would definitely agree there is a big problem concerning a lack of a "uniform sound" on this one. It doesn't bother me... much. With a notable exception or two. There's a Hi-hat on Holland Town that sounds like an overdub that is totally inappropriate.

The biggest offender (IMO) is Where the Wind is Going. It sounds just plain awful to me, and it's a shame because it's a cool tune. The vocal mix is just garbage on this particular track. It sounds like a monitor mix for Charles while he was singing or something. Bone dry, loud as fuck, and entirely too upfront. Personal opinion? Yes. Indisputable? Hell Yes.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/27/2010 20:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  20:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If i hadn't known that it was recorded during a bunch of different sessions, i honestly wouldnt be able to tell. I still can't really tell the difference between the tracks and the sessions. Funny how these things are so different from person to person.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  02:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Yeah I like it too.

I would definitely agree there is a big problem concerning a lack of a "uniform sound" on this one. It doesn't bother me... much. With a notable exception or two. There's a Hi-hat on Holland Town that sounds like an overdub that is totally inappropriate.

The biggest offender (IMO) is Where the Wind is Going. It sounds just plain awful to me, and it's a shame because it's a cool tune. The vocal mix is just garbage on this particular track. It sounds like a monitor mix for Charles while he was singing or something. Bone dry, loud as fuck, and entirely too upfront. Personal opinion? Yes. Indisputable? Hell Yes.

Yeah, and the mix across both albums is largely at fault. It's so insipid and muted, that at times, it makes the backing bands sound like a bunch of pub players. FB, vocally, sounds a littletired on a bunch of the takes (hadn't he played a full Pixies show the night before one of the sessions).

I feel a bit bad criticising it so openly, but there are a good many songs across HC/FMRM that aren't really done justice by the recordings.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  03:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

FB, vocally, sounds a littletired on a bunch of the takes (hadn't he played a full Pixies show the night before one of the sessions).

What bothers me more is that it sounds like he was aiming for that type of lacklustre vocal performance on a few of the songs (the paint grows dryer still). And from the Pogues cover I get the feeling that Paley's voice is just better suited to that kind of playing than FB's. What's weird is FB's singing is usually terrific across so many genres. I'd be more alive to those few songs on FMRM if FB's vocal were more alive. But I'll probably come around, I usually do in the end.

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  06:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i LOVE "where the wind is going" but the production is so lackluster. the sound does seem to get better on later sessions.

i've finally accepted HC for what it is and it has grown on me immensely.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  15:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on a side note - "Blonde on Blonde" came up tonight on random and I had to listen to the whole thing - holy smokes what a record!!!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  17:56:47  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blonde on Blonde is fantastic... Hell, everything Dylan did up till Self Portrait (IMO) was amazing, things became off-and-on after that. Blonde on Blonde is a standout among standouts, though. I still can't draw much comparison between it and FMRM other than the session style recording and meandering vibe.

Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  05:09:00  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i concur. blonde on blone is a must. top four best dylan albums.

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  02:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm really into this album this week. i listened to [various incarnations of] it 3 times yesterday alone. first i listened to the whole thing. then i took out the songs i don't care for, which left me with 18 songs. then i cut that down to 12. if this album were released like this it would be a favorite:

if your poison gets you
fast man
you can't crucify yourself
wanderlust
raider man
dog sleep
in the time of your ruin
elijah
it's just not your moment
the real el ray
don't cry that way
fare thee well

i figure these could have been excellent b-sides:
seven days
fitzgerald
golden shores
holland town
sad old world

these songs should be done to be made good:
johnny barleycorn
where the wind is going
dirty old town
my terrible ways
highway to lowdown
i'm not dead i'm in pittsburgh

the rest can be discarded.

------------------------------

Edited by - Jose Jones on 11/10/2011 02:18:40
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  02:59:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah you got that quite right. Except Fast Man.

Spot on about Barleycorn, since I discovered that video the other day I've gained more respect to that little gemm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAcIW4IQYkE

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  12:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fast man's the best, brother. and i added Seven Days and Fitzgerald to the official lineup. i can't get enough of this new old album!!

Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  14:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vilainde's edit would do fine for me:

quote:

If Your Poison Gets You
Johnny Barleycorn
Dirty Old Town
Wanderlust
Raider Man
Dog Sleep
Golden Shore
In The Time of My Ruin
Fitzgerald
Elijah
It's Just Not Your Moment
The Real El Rey
Sad Old World
Don't Cry That Way
Fare Thee Well

However, a good live version really can turn you around -- I didn't like Cult of Ray at all until I saw the proto-Catholics playing it 3 days after its UK release!

And so, to that end... have some LIVE Raiderman!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9461fo
Go to Top of Page

oldmandavid
- FB Fan -

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  08:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

a little love for "Fast Man"........ please??? I love it - Am I the only one? come on guys - that's an awesome tune - I can't believe it's so overlooked. If you don't like that tune well then there's something wrong with you

I definitely agree with this. Fast Man is one of the top of all albums! Love seven days too. Sad old world. I think it depends a lot on what you relate to emotionally.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  12:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've listened to my edit of this album countless times this past week. plus HC a few times. i'm hooked in a way that is very familiar to for frank albums, but never for these 2. i'm having such a blast with these. plus i now have paley&francis to throw into the mix, which i'm also digging after 3 listens.

fuck tha haterz

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  12:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapperj

I like to think of Kiss My Ring as Frank's version of the technique (mainly used in hip-hop) of making a song about how awesome you are.

flow boast.

Go to Top of Page

filmcode
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  13:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is cool, Frank Black in his Fast Man, Raider Man mode on Conan! Note Jack Kidney on saxophone of the legendary Numbers Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAcIW4IQYkE

If you wanna know why Frank picked Jack Kidney to play in his band, look no further than this clip of Jack playing with his longtime megagroup The Numbers Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUaPm4zu4qk&feature=related

note Terry Hynde on saxophone with Jack, that is Chrissie Hynde's (from The Pretenders) brother
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  14:22:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

fuck tha haterz

Hahaha! Indeed.

Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  10:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great album
raiderman is one of his best songs!

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  02:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loving some Fast Man Raiderman these days. When it was released I wasn't too fussed but getting a lot of listens recently. It's not TOTY but if Steve Earle released this album he would have got rave reviews.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  00:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man I love these albums. Gotta be in the mood though.

Apple music still doesn't have them up, so it's been a while for me. Fast Man is such an awesome song.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  06:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My Terrible Ways" and "Fitzgerald" has always been one of my favorite back-to-back pairs of FB tracks. (Others include "Cult of Ray"/"Shazeb Andleeb," "Horrible Day"/"Massif Centrale," and "Coastline"/"Manitoba.")

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  01:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that Apple Music added these I’ve been listening to them recently again.

I think the outro of In the Time of My Ruin is amazing, very powerful, hypnotic, could have been a great song on its own.

There’s a lot to explore on these albums and I’m often finding something new.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  07:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling this will be unpopular due to the apparent love for Fitzgerald, Elijah and The Real El Ray but they just don't make the cut for me.

If Your Poison Gets You
Johnny Barleycorn
Fast Man
Kiss My Ring
Dirty Old Town
Wanderlust
Seven Days
Raider Man
Dog Sleep
In the Time of My Ruin
Highway to Lowdown
Where the Wind Is Going
Don't Cry That Way
Fare Thee Well

I wish they didn't cut the drum intro on Fare Thee Well, I always preferred that from the Honeycomb sessions. I prefer Honeycomb in general to be honest. It's more coherent and the songs to me individually are just more interesting.

Also just to add, even though I cut some songs to make this shortened version of FMRM, I don't dislike any of the songs. These are simply the ones I listen to more.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  07:06:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've listened to FMRM since that post I made in this thread in 2010.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  09:53:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back from the dead! I haven’t listened to FMRM in quite some time - throwing it on now!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000