Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  17:40:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All the new release activity has got me all fired up about some Black, and I've been spinning FMRM lately. I really love this album. It's a big sprawling mess, and a lot of fun. There's so much to love about it. It's sure as hell not perfect, and there are some real duds on it, but overall it's great... It's Just Not Your Moment, Highway to Lowdown, Fitzgerald, Elijah, Sad Old World, El Ray, Kiss My Ring, Don't Cry That Way - so many awesome tracks and that's only on disc 2... And I have to say, My Terrible Ways just kills me - very sincere, beautiful song. I'm going to listen to it again now. (My girlfriend is at work and I'm bored at home listening to disc 2 and drinking some wine at the moment, if you couldn't tell!)

Sorry, I know there used to be a thread similar to this... guess it's gone along with many others.

FMRM thoughts??

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  18:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm drinking wine and fired up about Frank lately, too.

FMRM is still my biggest Frank disappointment. Honeycomb changed my life, rocked my world, etc., and then he put out this sprawling thing that just didn't do it for me. When it came out and I didn't love it, I figured it would just click later. I usually don't like new Frank tunes albums right away, for one reason or another, and then they eventually worm their way into me. But weeks and months passed, and I couldn't find anything to love deeply about this album -- at least not the way I loved Honeycomb. And still, I haven't found the key to open this album. I don't think it exists, really.

However, all that said, I do love some of the songs. Fitzgerald is great. So are Real El Rey, Don't Cry That Way, and Fast Man. And really, the whole album is easy listening. But maybe that's the problem. With Frank, I really expect to be challenged. I expect to be blown away. And there isn't much of that on here. But maybe that's not a bad thing.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:01:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel ya, I was confused about it too. I think the oddness of it makes it stand out to me. Tiven's clean, bone-dry, and occasionally inappropriate mix is so different from everything else in the catalog -- it's an intriguing way to hear these songs. As an album, it's totally different from Honeycomb, which I agree is a way better album. I just think this one gets a bad rap around the forum here and, well, I like it, dammit! No, it isn't his best. It's probably damn near the bottom of my list (maybe third or fourth up), which is a relative statement when I'm talking about FBF. I still really dig it.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider me part of the group.
"It's a big sprawling mess, and a lot of fun. There's so much to love about it. It's sure as hell not perfect, and there are some real duds on it, but overall it's great."
I agree. Also, i love the whole back porch americana vibe to it.
I really like this description from allmusic
" Like the simultaneously released Devil's Workshop and Black Letter Days, Fast Man Raider Man could've been edited down to one disc's worth of songs; however, the flowing, laid-back feel of the whole set is a big part of its appeal. Indeed, if it weren't for the album's studio polish, it'd feel like an extremely well-recorded concert — it has the ebb and flow of a good live set, and its expansive warmth ends up making its length work in its favor."
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  21:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I'll play even though I've no idea what I'm going to say. Except it's safe to say I haven't found the key to open this album either. Nor the lock, nor even the door! Not the house, nor the street, not even the town. But I'm sure I got the right country. Well pretty sure. Sorry but I did warn you I had no idea what I was going to say. I would know what to say if Frank had released half as many songs (the ones I happen to like) on a single album. But he didn't.

Well I took a break away from this up til now pointless post to actually play the album and lo and behold it's not as serious as I thought. Apart from a few stinkers it's absolutely fine if you just want a taste of the simple art of the Man. I've had this thought before which makes me think there must be something about FMRM that makes you wanna forget that it's not actually a bad record. I think that something is that there are nearly 20 other of his albums that you know you're gonna get a bigger kick out of if you put one of those on instead.

So what have I learned? That you should eat your vegetables. They're good for you.

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And tomorrow you'll have learned that heavy drinking is bad for your health.

I listened to FMRM yesterday, trying to find some more info to post in the FMRM Liner Notes thread. All along Frank's solo career, critics have said he released too much music (how idiotic does this sound?), that he should have trimmed BLD and DW down to 12 songs or whatever. FMRM is the only album where I have to agree. And yet, listening to the record, it's pretty obvious he had a blast recording it. I can understand why he wouldn't want to leave any song behind. Most of the songs have 2 basses, 2 drums, a dozen guitars or so, there's music everywhere. The recording sessions must have been quite amazing. Unfortunately, yeah, some of the songs sound half written, and the style on some others isn't what I like to hear from Frank.
So I too made my own single-CD FMRM version and that makes a pretty good record. At least better than Honeycomb (that I never ever listen to). Goes like this:
If Your Poison Gets You
Johnny Barleycorn
Dirty Old Town
Wanderlust
Raider Man
Dog Sleep
Golden Shore
In The Time of My Ruin
Fitzgerald
Elijah
It's Just Not Your Moment
The Real El Rey
Sad Old World
Don't Cry That Way
Fare Thee Well

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  21:54:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a pretty drastic departure for the man, and I seem to remember him saying something about wanting to do a Blonde on Blonde kind of thing with Honeycomb and I guess this one. Do you ever get the impression that FMRM has more in common with Self Portrait, kind of a throw-shit-at-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks thing? (BTW FMRM is infinitely better than Self Portrait)

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

And tomorrow you'll have learned that heavy drinking is bad for your health.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

No I won't. I stopped listening to the Carla Bozulich CDs.

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you ever get the impression that FMRM has more in common with Self Portrait, kind of a throw-shit-at-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks thing? (BTW FMRM is infinitely better than Self Portrait)

Not sure i agree with that, love self portrait. It gets a huge amount of bad press but has some greats tunes.

See = Days of 49 / Alberta / I'll forget more / Belle Isle

OK its not blood on the tracks but i love the above.

FM/RM i agree with Villainde. really dislike some of the slower paced tunes but each to his/her own. i love some of the others.

Not my fave FB era, i feared where we were going to afte that record. I went to see him in Amsterdam shortly after that release and got a full on punk show. You never get bored being a Frank fan.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  11:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently listened to FMRM, for the first time in quite a while - and really liked it. Yes, there are a lot of songs, but I can't imagine losing half of them. No way. As for the production, I remember that at the time it came out, it felt really refreshing to hear some new songs with a bit more 'production' going on.

I personally hope he never stops releasing the occasional double album. As far as I'm concerned, he should go for a triple, one of these days.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  12:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also recently re-listened to it but I still can't get into it. Guess I can't join this society.

Love that Golem, though. My fave Frank since BLD.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  15:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in. Each and every song is top-notch in my opinion. The album seems to not only tell a story, but take you on a ride as well. A beautifully-crafted masterpiece, indeed. I hope another Nashville album materializes someday. I believe Black Francis said it was more a matter of when than if.

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  15:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm down. very down.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  17:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Count me in. Each and every song is top-notch in my opinion. The album seems to not only tell a story, but take you on a ride as well. A beautifully-crafted masterpiece, indeed. I hope another Nashville album materializes someday. I believe Black Francis said it was more a matter of when than if.

-Oddball

Are you sure you're not thinking about Honeycomb?

Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  18:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, maybe that's what makes me an "oddball". Coastline, I share your enthusiasm for Honeycomb as well, and find it interesting that you have them at opposite poles in terms of appreciation. Maybe the "key" you speak of is a personally-defined one (as keys tend to be). This album unlocked itself for me... the right time, the right moment in my life, the right direction. It just felt right at the time and continues to do so. The album's connotations are deep for me, but might well be shallow for some.

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  02:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it's just not my moment. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  03:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i made a "cut down to size" version of this and had been listening to it a lot back when my son was born (2 years ago this wednesday!), so that helps with fond memory-related appreciation.

i also just really dig most of the songs. HONEYCOMB has recently skyrocketed for me, but FMRM has always gotten some pretty steady listening.

off the top of my head, these are my favorites:
don't cry that way
the real el ray
in the time of my ruin
it's just not your moment
wanderlust
fast man
dog sleep
if your poison gets you
golden shore
you can't crucify yourself
where the wind is going
fare thee well
elijah
holland town
raider man

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  05:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seven Days, that song is definately one of my all time favourites
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  05:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
seven days was originally one of my least favorites, but it's definitely getting higher on the list. beautiful chorus and an all around nice vibe.

elijah finally kicked me in my gullet the other day. they really rock that one out.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  20:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i really enjoy in the time of my ruin. i am wondering if that is a personal story? a story about violet and jack. or is that obvious? or maybe not. anyways..a very lovely song.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  14:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

i really enjoy in the time of my ruin. i am wondering if that is a personal story? a story about violet and jack. or is that obvious? or maybe not. anyways..a very lovely song.

Yeah I seem to remember fb saying that the final section of the song was inspired by actual drastic restructuring taking place at his house.

I always thought it could have become a staple of very late night radio. It's a really classic sounding song.

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  17:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, it's very radio friendly....in a really good way.

Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  12:58:45  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
who is this jack character?

It's weird to me when people like HC and dislike FMRM or vice versa. They are two of the most similar sounding albums of his i think. I think i mentioned before that they are probably my least fave, while still being great albums. i personally think the it would be better to combine the best of the 3 albums to make one. I think the songwriting isn't as consistently tight and their lacks some passion. but it's still good. if you are into mellow clean americana this is for you.

Also, I can't get enough of johnny barleycorn for some reason. I'm surprised no mentions that one. it's the only nashville song i have put on repeat. constantly. the middle kind of bores me and i prefer the live version, but it's catchy as hell.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  13:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

It's weird to me when people like HC and dislike FMRM or vice versa. They are two of the most similar sounding albums of his i think.

Yeah, they're similar sounding, but they're like night and day for me. I don't mean to keep going on about Honeycomb in the FMRM thread, but Honeycomb tells a story, and it's one I relate to deeply. FMRM has always struck me as a collection of songs with no real theme, tied together only by having common musicians on the songs.

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  15:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

who is this jack character?

that's his first son. born same day as my first child. no kidding!!

Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  00:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fitzgerald is one of the best songs of all time.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  01:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a long time Fitzgerald and Elijah were the only two songs off FMRM I played regularly. All that's changing now but yes Fitzgerald is one of the best songs of all time and I can hear some of it The Maharal (Reprise).

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a little love for "Fast Man"........ please??? I love it - Am I the only one? come on guys - that's an awesome tune - I can't believe it's so overlooked. If you don't like that tune well then there's something wrong with you
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  16:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I raise my glass in your direction houstonguthrie! A beautifully-crafted track with so many layers.

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  16:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

a little love for "Fast Man"........ please??? I love it - Am I the only one? come on guys - that's an awesome tune - I can't believe it's so overlooked. If you don't like that tune well then there's something wrong with you

it was on my list! great song. beautiful, and some cool lyrics.

johnny barleycorn is low on my list, though. maybe i'll give it a spin and give it a tenth chance.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  00:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fast Man's awesomeness isn't matched til you get to Fitzgerald/Elijah much later on the record;. That's why I don't often play FMRM at all. So yes it's one of his most overlooked songs. Great how he grounds it in Cheyenne. Makes the pain seem so real.

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  01:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I go a thousand miles 'fore I get me to sleep

You think I'm exaggerating, baby?

That ain't nothing to me

See me I'm gunning it just as fast as I can

I'm a fast man"

I think of the young Frank Black gaining ground in his yellow Caddie
Some lyrics allow the listener to ride "shotgun"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  07:39:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

quote:

it was on my list! great song. beautiful, and some cool lyrics.

johnny barleycorn is low on my list, though. maybe i'll give it a spin and give it a tenth chance.

Barleycorn clicked with me after I heard the Billy Block/Francis radio version. Some songs for me come to life when they're stripped to bare only the vocals and six string.

Like Rabbits.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  12:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a shame more of the songs weren't played live; I think we'd find a new love for them if that had been the case.

'Elijah', 'Fitzgerald', 'Don't Cry That Way'... there are some lovely songs over the record. I have to skip 'Sad Old World', though.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  15:11:05  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not the biggest HC or FMRM fan but In the Time of My Ruin is one of my all-time favorite FB songs, hands down. And off of HC Sing For Joy is hte same thing. So I'm grateful for these albums for no other reason than these tracks.

But in the right mood they're good in their own special way, I'm just not often in the mood for most of them. (Though I do happen to find Johnny Barleycorn to be one of his better 'classic rockers').
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  11:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there are some gems on FMRM - If Your Poison Gets You, Fast Man, In The Time Of Your Ruin, Seven Days etc. I even have a sneaking regard for Kiss My Ring! However, the bulk of it for me is the aural equivalent of watching paint dry. I stick it on now and again in the hope it'll click with me but it never does. Having said that I think it's amazing that something like FMRM is followed a year or so later by Bluefinger - it just highlights FB's amazing versatility.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000