Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PISTOLERO
I believe Pistolero is a solid but not great album, and the last of what i consider to be the weakest period of his career (Cor, FB&TC, Pistolero).
The album suffers, for me, from having a few too many songs that seem a bit underdeveloped. And while the lead guitar on I Switched You and Western Star are great, throughout the rest of the album, it's not really my style. The backing vocals hurt some songs like, Bad Harmony,Think I'm Always Starting To Lose It, Little Heart and Your Such A Wire in my opinion. The album is at its most interesting when the catholics deviate from just loud power chords rockers to songs like Billy Radcliffe and 85 Weeks which really let the album breath and give a preview of what's too come over the next few albums.
When Frank hits his mark however the results are great, and some of the fast rock songs i really enjoy (I Love Rock and Roll). I think less songs would make this a much more consistent album, and would make it easier to listen to given how loud the guitars are throughout the album.
6/10

Bad Harmony: 8/10
I Switched You: 9/10
Western Star: 10/10
Little Heart: 7/10
You're Such A Wire: 6.5/10 - without the catholics 8.5/10
I Love Your Brain: 6/10
Smoke Up: 7/10
Billy Radcliffe: 9.5/10
So Hard To Make Things Out: 7.5/10
85 Weeks: 9.5/10
I Think I'm Starting To Lose It: With backup vocals lead guitar solos 6/10 - without in my imagination 8.5/10
I Want Rock and Roll: 9/10
Skeleton Man: 8/10
So. Bay: 10/10

I'd probably narrow the album down to

Bad Harmony
I Switched You
Western Star
Billy Radcliffe
Tiny Heart
Smoke Up
You're Such A Wire
I Want Rock and Roll
85 Weeks
Skeleton Man
So. Bay

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 03/07/2010 20:52:20

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  13:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'I Love Your Brain' is a funny one. Daft lyrics, but a great riff. Perfect for a Telecaster and a distortion pedal!
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  18:18:37  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tend to agree on the backing vocals, but Pistolero is my favourite Catholics album (just head of BLD). It pretty much rocks from start to finish. So. Bay is a bloody classic.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  23:18:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The first fb record i owned, it's cool!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  23:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'I Think I'm Starting To Lose It' kills me every time.
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  06:16:52  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

'I Love Your Brain' is a funny one. Daft lyrics, but a great riff. Perfect for a Telecaster and a distortion pedal!

It used to be one of my favorite Frank songs for the opening riff alone. Sounds straight off of TOTY. The lyrics...not so much.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  07:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By far my least favorite Catholics album. Despite its predecessor being a demo session turned into an album, this album sounds 10x as tossed off.

I would trim it down to these 7 for a truly great mini-lp:

Western Star
Billy Radcliffe
85 Weeks
I Think I'm Starting To Lose It
I Want Rock and Roll
Skeleton Man
So. Bay

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  14:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Pistolero the band were really running with it, no setlists, touring like the Russians were about to take Jersey, revelling in the thrill of live recording. Pistolero reflects that. The more complaints I hear about it the more I love it. It's So Hard To Make Out why you'd wanna turn it into a "truly great mini-lp"?

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  19:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trimming "I Love Your Brain"?

Well, you know how I feel about you.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  23:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
always looooved SCELETON MAN (a friend of mine complaint that charles sang like a pig that was being slaughtered - that's exactly what i loved about his singing!!!), never really cared about I WANT ROCK'N'ROLL (though i always wanted Rock'n'Roll...), 85 WEEKS: one of the greatest songs EVER (...imho...)!!!

you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  23:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, not "complaint" but complained - ikk sprekken native doitsch!!

you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  00:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems i love some of the stuff on this album that most people dont like.
I never got "so hard to make things out" until i heard played beautifully in a basement in camden. It is such a great song acoustically, i think it lost some of its beauty played electric (imo).
The lead guitar in "i love your brain, and you're such a wire" are great i think.

Nothing much to say about So.Bay except it is one of FB's most beautiful songs. For me it's like Los Angeles in that the first half is powerful and heavy whereas the back half just gold.

I could live without ever hearing Bad Harmony again, but i wouldn't edit any of the rest of them.
Not my favourite FB album but still vital to the catalog of FB.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  01:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first Frank Black album. I'd just fallen in love with the Pixies after picking up Doolittle and Trompe le Monde. Went back to the local record shop to buy up the rest of their albums and found Pistolero sitting there in the pixies section. The name switch threw me and the awful artwork made me doubt it could ever be by the same artist but for some reason - probably because our town's crappy and only record shop had nothing but Death to the Pixies in stock - I took a chance, bought it and have never looked back.

Along with teenager this is by far the album I have played most throughout my life. I doubt there will ever be a day when I've heard enough Western Star.
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  19:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, some of the albums take a few listens to really set in and some do not. Pistolero landed me well after its release and "I Switched You" continues to amaze. A great, great rock album.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  03:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i got this, FB&TCs, and TOTY for christmas one year from my brother. DiTS hadn't been released yet, and these were my introductions to FB (but not, of course, BF). reminds me of playing the shit out of Final Fantasy IX.

dark hyperion, why why why why why...

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  15:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black's Pistolero = Neil Young's Zuma.

Smackit.

Mmmmbuddy.

Mmmmmbuddy...

Edited by - Mac E. Doobage on 12/07/2009 15:08:05
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  16:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe, but Zuma is a great album haha
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  04:37:57  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add that in terms of songs that are great (agree its 9/10) on the album but really came into their own on the last few catholics tours LIVE: I Want Rock N Roll!!

So amazing overall, and live I think they took it to another level.

Also have to chime in on the love for "Hard to Make Things Out" -- the whole FBF proclivity for 'songs within songs' comes out here amazingly, and the switch from "WHY WHY WHY WHY is it so hard to live!?" to the half-speed final part just kills me every time.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  07:39:04  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a great album this one.
songs like so hard to make things out and so. bay are the reasons why frank is so good.
i assume everyone here has now heard the pistolero demo?

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

TAMAL
- FB Fan -

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  21:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, a little surprised about how many people don't really like this one. Although I agree that it's not up there with Show Me Your Tears or Teenager, (or DITS or Bluefinger!!) it's still got some really fantastic songs.

Western Star is absolutely one of my fave Frank songs ever. I Love Your Brain is awesome, I don't see how you couldn't think so. And 85 Weeks is about a story EDF told about Captain Beefheart going without sleep for 85 weeks. Doesn't get much cooler than that!
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  02:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
skyward-plywood
how he-heroes period bowie
dancin' to the new bolero- yo soy un pistolero

whoo-eee!

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  13:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this album. Western Star is probably my favorite FB song and the only one that I know all the words to off the top of my head. I have never liked So Hard to Make Things Out all that much and when I made a tape for my car I left that song off. It was a darn good tape and I listened to it tons. And tons.

I do like So Hard to Make Things Out more than I used to, though. Once it gets to where it slows down I start enjoying it a lot.

Edited by - moonruler on 12/18/2009 13:14:23
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  23:55:13  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first song that was released from the album was So Bay, and after being amazed by FB&TC the beauty of that song made me shiver. Unfortunately the album didn't stand the test of time, and today it's my least favorite non-Nashville FB album. There are a couple of really great songs (Western Star and So Bay), a couple more that only clicked when I heard them live (I Want R'n'R, Skeleton Man), a lot of average songs and some real duds (Tiny Heart, I Love Your Brain, Smoke Up, You're Such A Wire). Plus I thought Rich's guitar solos were terrible; it's only when DiTS was released that my love for his guitar playing began.
I got really disappointed at that time, I wanted to love this record so badly - I even bought 2 copies of it.
When it was released in 99 we were on the iMusic bulletin board. God I feel old - I've been discussing this record on the internet for 11 years.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  10:22:18  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

My first Frank Black album. I'd just fallen in love with the Pixies after picking up Doolittle and Trompe le Monde. Went back to the local record shop to buy up the rest of their albums and found Pistolero sitting there in the pixies section. The name switch threw me and the awful artwork made me doubt it could ever be by the same artist but for some reason - probably because our town's crappy and only record shop had nothing but Death to the Pixies in stock - I took a chance, bought it and have never looked back.

Along with teenager this is by far the album I have played most throughout my life. I doubt there will ever be a day when I've heard enough Western Star.

I think this is true of most great artists (for the most part). for example most wes anderson fans i've met like the first one they were shown.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  10:50:19  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAMAL

Wow, a little surprised about how many people don't really like this one. Although I agree that it's not up there with Show Me Your Tears or Teenager, (or DITS or Bluefinger!!) it's still got some really fantastic songs.

Western Star is absolutely one of my fave Frank songs ever. I Love Your Brain is awesome, I don't see how you couldn't think so. And 85 Weeks is about a story EDF told about Captain Beefheart going without sleep for 85 weeks. Doesn't get much cooler than that!

i totally agree with everything you just said. skeleton man is also a 10 in my opinion. billy radlcliffe use to be my alltime fave frank black song. (Since i have found many more tho, but would probably say that it should be on the best of)

this was as album that i wore out and love. it has however not stood the test of time for me as much as all of the other frank/pixies albums. still a must tho. just listen to it more.
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  11:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great rockin album

far superior to fb and catholics.

better tone, rocks hard and great interpersonal songwriting

i for one love smoke up

wonderful to play on guitar.

so dirty the guitar on this album

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
Go to Top of Page

Somnambulist
- FB Fan -

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  18:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Somnambulist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose it goes without saying that I LOVE this album. Catholics at their best. saw more of their shows from this period than any other. Good time in my life too.

I slept all night in my plastic car
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  19:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

quote:
Originally posted by TAMAL

i totally agree with everything you just said. skeleton man is also a 10 in my opinion. billy radlcliffe use to be my alltime fave frank black song. (Since i have found many more tho, but would probably say that it should be on the best of)

this was as album that i wore out and love. it has however not stood the test of time for me as much as all of the other frank/pixies albums. still a must tho. just listen to it more.

Billy Radcliffe is one of my favourites too, especially when i was first getting into Frank a few years ago (don't blame me, i'm 19, i was probably 15 when i was getting into him). I remember i saw him live in London, Ontario during his acoustic tour in 2006, and he played the song which completely surprised me, i didnt think he would play it since i thought it was more of a back catalog track. It really made my night. Come to think of it, I havent seen him solo since then! He played a 19+ show in toronto later that year, and since then he's only been back in Ontario for the pixies show last summer that i went to.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 02/28/2010 19:06:09
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:12:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pistolero = badass.

If the only song on here were I Switched You, it'd be worth the cost of the whole album. I Switched You is hands down the most ripping shit he's ever done, IMO.

I'll mash your perfect parts.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:34:08  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

When it was released in 99 we were on the iMusic bulletin board. God I feel old - I've been discussing this record on the internet for 11 years.

Well, as a certain mustachioed cowboy once said, "Sometime you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you."

I don't even know what that means. Seems fitting though.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 02/28/2010 20:35:08
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  19:12:32  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in case someone doesn't have a pistolero demo tape:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ME25XNFX

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  02:51:54  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

Thanks benji, I've heard OF this but never actually heard or found it anywhere. I never really looked for it though... It's pretty sweet. For a heartwarming family film, you're alright.

Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This album makes you feel like your are riding a horse through the hot mexican desert, sweat pouring down your head, and just when you think it can't get any hotter, you fall into a cactus...

rockin hard!

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for posting this Benji. Very interesting to listen to but frustrating at the same time. Frustrating because I wish there was a lot more of the between song chatter. I also wish there were more outtakes from this and every album for that matter. All in all theses takes don't sound too different from the finished product though (to my ears).

quote:
Originally posted by benji

Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  15:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

PISTOLERO
I believe Pistolero is a solid but not great album, and the last of what i consider to be the weakest period of his career (Cor, FB&TC, Pistolero).

Kinda funny, but these are a like holy trinity of Frank albums for me. They are probably his least polished material as far as the audio goes, but once I warmed up to them all of these albums has held an excitement to them that has not seemed to fade. For whatever reason I come back to these albums a little more often than any others.

I think they remind me a bit of the Dead playing live in that the musicians are all on their own different journey, but are using the same song structure to get there. Definitely a lot tighter than the Dead; it just has the same feeling. Sounds corny, I know, but the only way I can describe it.

And Pistolero ROCKS!!!! I mean come on!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  23:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gotmeamovie

This album makes you feel like your are riding a horse through the hot mexican desert, sweat pouring down your head, and just when you think it can't get any hotter, you fall into a cactus...

rockin hard!

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"

Fuck! That's exactly right. And all the promise of gold.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000