New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  12:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In celebration of the imminent release of Der Golem, I thought it might be fun to look back on the Charles' catalogue and discuss.

You can give a review, a rating, favourite songs, songs that dont really do it for you, post videos of good live songs from said album, debate, or do whatever the hell you want so long as it's about his first post-Pixies album - FRANK BLACK (1993). I'll see how alive the thread is and create new ones based on that, maybe a new one every week or so.

I'd give Frank Black 5/5, putting it in his top tier of Post-Pixies albums.

It's sad that the Pixies broke up, but i wouldn't want to live in a world without Frank Black or it's sequel Teenager of the Year. The lush production from EDF serve Charles' superb set of songs incredibely well.

My favourite songs are: Los Angeles, Places Named After Numbers, Old Black Dawning, Ten Percenter, Two Spaces, Don't Ya Rile 'Em

I had a hardtime widdling it down to that, a testemant to how consistent the album is!

Most Underrated Song: Two Spaces

This song can really pump me up, and make me feel something deep down in my core. I also love the lyric "Too many places not to go to" followed by that lovely "ooh-ooh"

I wanted to find a video of Frank doing Adda Lee acoustic from the 2006 tour, I saw it at one of the shows and it totally revealled the greatness of the song to me.

Least Favourite: Every Time I Go Around Here

I like the song, but it feels a bit like a b-side, i think by this point in the album i just want to get to Dont Ya Rile 'Em instead of going through a slow song.

Anyways, your turn

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  17:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
gone is the regal automobile.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  00:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry and I miss you
And away
I went away
Cause I wished I was away
I wished I was away
A wishing well
Of well wishing
And Adda waves away
Adda waves away
Heroine of the stars
I don't know where I am
But I know who you are

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  03:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brank, I like the idea of your thread and I love your eloquent post. I don't disagree with what you say about itching to get to Rile' Em ASAP and I don't want to risk turning your thread into a defense of Every Time, but that song holds much beauty and elegance. Lyrically, it contains romance and longing, for both a person and a time/place/way of life. Musically, yes, it's not a fast one, but it's lovely.

As you were.

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  04:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this album has my favorite frank´s song, Adda Lee, the guitar is amazing...the song is amazing
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  00:03:54  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccuadros

this album has my favorite frank´s song, Adda Lee, the guitar is amazing...the song is amazing

Amen.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  05:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more with Kathryn's comments about "Every Time" .... that same sense of longing and nostalgia is echoed in Fast Man. These are two of my favorite Frank Black songs purely from an emotive standpoint. The chord progressions in both songs are (at least at times) beautifully unexpected. ("round... here", for example).

Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  06:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I listened to Every Time yesterday and i think i had underrated it. As to it's place on the album, i think a slow song to catch some air is actually a good idea.

Also, i'd like to encourage people to do things like rate the album, pick favourite songs, overrated/underrated songs ect. as it'd be interesting to see what everyone thinks, and it would create discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  12:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Parry the Wind is a great rocker! that song probably could have been on Trompe Le Monde
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000