Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2023 :  14:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies to contribute to Leon Russel tribute album

https://www.stereogum.com/2229627/pixies-margo-price-u-s-girls-more-featured-on-new-leon-russell-tribute-album/music/
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2023 :  02:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent find. Less than a month to a new Pixies track :)
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2023 :  09:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sept 8

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2023 :  11:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah…..I forgot they do dates backwards across the pond.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2023 :  18:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched Noah Baumbach’s first film “Kicking and Screaming” and first minute in heard the sounds of Celia Ann from Bossa

Also some TMBG and other good tunes along the way

Worth a watch if you like his kind of flicks
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2023 :  11:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if these demos from 86 have been posted before, first time I've heard them

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXj0qUmL6skF2Fyv6SSUDXW7AZyl-5Brv

Edited by - Stevio10 on 07/16/2023 12:39:27
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2023 :  11:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AI version of Hey! with vocals by Kurt Cobain

https://youtu.be/7wTxCSmxbag
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2023 :  13:44:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if AI could make a version of Indy Cindy where Kim didn't leave the studio ?
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2023 :  23:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Not sure if these demos from 86 have been posted before, first time I've heard them

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXj0qUmL6skF2Fyv6SSUDXW7AZyl-5Brv

another source (more tracks?), "remastered"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jmyzLfLI-I

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2023 :  13:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

AI version of Hey! with vocals by Kurt Cobain

https://youtu.be/7wTxCSmxbag

Am I crazy, I don't hear how that is Kurt even a little bit.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 07/18/2023 13:38:04
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2023 :  00:33:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Maybe it only Kurts a little bit ?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2023 :  08:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I wonder if AI could make a version of Indy Cindy where Kim didn't leave the studio ?

Yes! And a version of Ring The Bell sung by Kim, because I always thought this song was made for Kim Deal to be sung!

A.I. marks the end of pop music as we knew it until now. Now we understand it's all pointless. Fun!

++++
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2023 :  08:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I don’t wanna Kurt you…
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2023 :  12:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen to the first minute to hear Ricky Gervais heap some nice praise on the Pixies

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_AkTGb9og
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2023 :  15:11:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I don’t wanna Kurt you…

Do you really wanna Kurt me ?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2023 :  15:13:50  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

A.I. marks the end of pop music as we knew it until now. Now we understand it's all pointless. Fun!

AI will never compete with the 80's
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2023 :  18:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new cover of WIMM, from Klowniac

https://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/news/getnews/klown-themed-artist-klowniac-drops-melancholic-cover-of-pixies-where-is-my-mind-
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  01:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Official lyric video for 'The Thing'

https://youtu.be/9qaJKP0GFwU
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  05:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Official lyric video for 'The Thing'

https://youtu.be/9qaJKP0GFwU

I wonder if this has been made due to the success the song is seeing on Spotify? It currently has more listens than any song on Bossanova! Even Velouria.

Some of these lyric videos are very impressive, this one included.

Edited by - jake3 on 08/04/2023 05:26:07
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  12:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a reason The Thing has become popular? Was it in something, or is it just Miley Cyrus's tattoo?

Speaking of which, it was always really odd to me that The Thing was credited for that rather than The Happening. I'd guess whoever first reported it just googled the lyrics and The Thing came up first.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  12:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

Is there a reason The Thing has become popular? Was it in something, or is it just Miley Cyrus's tattoo?

Speaking of which, it was always really odd to me that The Thing was credited for that rather than The Happening. I'd guess whoever first reported it just googled the lyrics and The Thing came up first.

There has been that David Grusch dude testifying in Congress about 'non-human biologics' relating to UAP and crash retrieval programs.

Whether that's related or not who knows (Is Motorway to Roswell trending?). I haven't been on Spotify for a while, maybe there's been some UAP related playlists? Reddit / Twitter has been UAP rife recently.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  14:03:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
There has been that David Grusch dude testifying in Congress about 'non-human biologics' relating to UAP and crash retrieval programs.

Whether that's related or not who knows (Is Motorway to Roswell trending?). I haven't been on Spotify for a while, maybe there's been some UAP related playlists? Reddit / Twitter has been UAP rife recently.

All just distraction news - they can pretty much put out anything these days and the dumb fucks who watch CNN or the BBC will swallow it - there was that old poltician who retired in Canada a few years ago saying the same thing - but guess what still no evidence or proof

I'm not saying it's not possible aliens have visited the earth but the very fact the only country in world claiming to have any top secret evidence is the US instantly alerts my bullshit radar - everything the American government says is a lie - I'm now questionning the validity of the moon landings (I'm not sure but leaning heavily towards it was all faked with the help of Stanley Kubrick)

Speaking of UFOs I tried to redesign my Pixies poster with better UFOs and it's sort of better ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CviYjy7oQJ7
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2023 :  08:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm glad to hear all this (about The Thing)

The Pixies are going to be really big someday
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2023 :  08:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Happening is one of my favorite songs; when I first heard the Thing was a bit disappointed that it was just part of what I consider a masterpiece song, instead of a totally unheard Pixies track.

As for UFOs or Biologic Blah blah blah, it's all distraction. Or if Trump sneezed. Or Biden farted. I don't want countries to go to war and bomb each other but since I'm not out in the streets protesting, the best thing I can do is work on being the best version of myself and hope cumulative good goes out into the world.

What counts is what we do with our time here; I'm guilty of wasting time online but it's best when I'm about what I need to be doing with my life. Am I being a good person today? Am I being impatient with the slow-moving person in the grocery line? Or the bad driver putting along in the turning/fast lane? Or do I have a kind word for someone who needs it and understanding patience for others?

My take on things.

Just listened to BLD for the first time in years, what an album..! And I love the sound of it, particularly the drums, such rich warmth.

cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2023 :  08:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Profile and interview of a 'reformed' Albini with some Kim Deal quotes that sound quite un-Dealy.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/15/the-evolution-of-steve-albini-if-the-dumbest-person-is-on-your-side-youre-on-the-wrong-side
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2023 :  10:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a really weird article. He's essentially saying he regrets his provocative and offensive art from years ago because it is no longer acceptable because it's not...woke or sensitive enough or something? Stuff from his hardcore punk bands? Kind of lame, to be honest. I mean, that's fine for him to feel regretful about that stuff, but it just seems like he's cowering before the mob or something and getting out in front of the (non-existent) bullets. I actually agree more with his past self that is quoted, that his politics are obvious and actions matter so much more than words. I mean, apologizing for having Mussolini in your album art? Does anybody actually think it was some sort of endorsement of fascism? That's ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2023 :  00:34:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This generation of wokists do my head in - complete shower of goodie two shoes virtue signalling morons - I get accused of being a bigot regularly by Gen Z

How long before Black Francis get cancelled for being a racist stage name ? The Black Madonna has already changed her name to The Blessed Madonna
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2023 :  08:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even the Rolling Stones are apparently self-censoring their concerts. It's a sad time.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2023 :  03:58:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not saying that I don't agree with your opinions here, but our whole shared history is filled with changing cultural productions and dismissing choices people (including ourselves) made before. Some of it is progress, some of it is just fashion. It's all showbizz...

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2023 :  05:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little bit of Breeders for you

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/04/the-breeders-last-splash-30th-anniversary-tour-interview
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2023 :  08:38:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I probably share most of the core values of what has become known as Woke - my issue is more with the people who promote the Woke - young lefty liberals these days are an embarrassment - even I wasn't that much of a melt when I was their age

Cancel Culture is downright sinister the direction it's taking society and the gradual removal of our rights - I don't see any of it as a benign part of the natural evolution of society and it should be collectively resisted
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2023 :  11:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm pretty ambivalent on the issue. I also share some core values, but find the application didactic, humorless, and puritanical. At the same time, I think there is a pretty clear danger of over-reaction against wokeism, via the rage-farming industry. Or in other words, anti-pc movements can fall into the same trap as the politically correct when they too become governed by indignation.

On the one hand I think the BBC's censorship of Fairytale in New York was asinine, on the other hand I can see why the Rolling Stones might change the lyrics to a song about slave owners having sex with the black women on their transcontinental slave ships!

For what it's worth, I think Nick Cave is a thoughtful and insightful critic of political correctness.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2023 :  20:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack
on the other hand I can see why the Rolling Stones might change the lyrics to a song about slave owners having sex with the black women on their transcontinental slave ships!

I genuinely can't. The song is purposefully taboo. It was then and it remains so. What the hell does it accomplish to change it? Nobody in their right mind would think it was promoting slavery or any such nonsense. Are we all infants now?

There is a place for taboo art that shocks us, disgusts us, makes us laugh. To censor it all away would not only be a great loss to culture but I actually think would be more dangerous than letting out the gross, inappropriate feelings through art. Because if we can't let them out through art, they will come out in much worse ways.

Taboo art is taboo. News at 11.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2023 :  01:14:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the Stones want to change their own song, they have my blessing
Another band can play the original version, which I'm sure bands will do (if they haven't already)

I can still listen to the original version right? You better buy the original version btw, because if Spotify wants to block it, they can do that to. They would irritate me, but a company can do whatever they want. It's their product. It's for me to decide if I want to subscribe to it. That's why you should own stuff, imho.

Censorship is only censhorship if it's being forced on people by a source of power
And I usually think about goverments or public services

If the BBC wants to censor a song I'm a bit worried. But a commercial station can play what they want. They own us nothing
(they sell ads for a living, what can you expect?).

Taboo art is everywhere. Always have, always will. As long as goverments will not start to censor (or worse) I'm not that worried.
I do worry about extremist when they choose violence over arguments. But that's a whole different story.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2023 :  09:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

If the Stones want to change their own song, they have my blessing
Another band can play the original version, which I'm sure bands will do (if they haven't already)

I can still listen to the original version right? You better buy the original version btw, because if Spotify wants to block it, they can do that to. They would irritate me, but a company can do whatever they want. It's their product. It's for me to decide if I want to subscribe to it. That's why you should own stuff, imho.

Censorship is only censhorship if it's being forced on people by a source of power
And I usually think about goverments or public services

Taboo art is everywhere. Always have, always will. As long as goverments will not start to censor (or worse) I'm not that worried.
I do worry about extremist when they choose violence over arguments. But that's a whole different story.

I'm sorry but I could not disagree with this more. Self-censorship due to fear and mob outrage can be as insidious as government or "source of power" censorship. The source of power in the Rolling Stones (and, exhaustively, countless others) case is the power of the mob and, I assume, social media. And if you don't think they are a source of power, I don't know what to tell you. There are thousands of stories of firings, events cancelled, books un-published, etc, etc. I know because I have a deep interest in this topic and follow the stories and have been for years.

I have seen many artists I love begin to self-censor or make their work extra safe due to fear of controversy and it's disgusting and depressing to me. At this point it's actually a challenge trying to find new art that is risk-taking, or in basic terms, doesn't give a fuck. This aura of fear permeates through everything these days, and I find it incredibly suffocating. I think it's totally insane that the Rolling Stones of all people think they have to change their lyrics, and here is my point: they THINK they have to. They DON'T actually have to, but something in the air has made them think that...that something in the air is what is scary to me, and should be to you.

Great art often plays with the unconscious and some of our darker, inappropriate thoughts. Art that is literally socially CONSCIOUS is the opposite of that to me. It only wants to be approved of. It wants to play it safe, it doesn't want anybody mad at it. I've seen this happen to writers, comedians, filmmakers, etc in the past 10 years. It's truly awful. I keep waiting for the pendulum to swing back. Jesus, even The French Connection got censored by Disney and unless you own an old copy, there's no way to see the original version. The censored version even screened in theaters unbeknownst to ticket buyers. This is deeply offensive to me.

The Rolling Stones and other legendary, taboo-breaking acts like that are canaries in the coal mine, and we should be really concerned if they are self-censoring. Especially a song that nobody had any real issues with for like 50 years, for god's sake. Imagine if the Pixies starting changing lyrics, hiring sensitivity readers to make sure nobody is offended? I don't even see how that's different from what the Rolling Stones felt they had to do. Changing "and the whores like a choir" to "and the sex workers like a choir"? I mean, it seems silly, but if the Stones are doing it, it's not really a far-fetched concept.

I don't want the fire and the unpredictability and the madness and wildness of art to be stripped away.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 09/05/2023 09:23:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000