Page: of 2

Schitzophonic
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  05:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...is now streaming online.

http://chrysalismusic.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/dark-night-of-the-soul/

The player is to the left of the page, scroll down a bit. So far, BF's main appearance comes in lead vocals on 'Angel's Harp' but there may be more subtle parts. I like it.

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  06:41:14  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rip it baby

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  10:32:52  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yippee!! BF's track is g-g-g-great.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  16:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahh, I can't figure how to stream it. is it still there?
Go to Top of Page

emptyreality
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  16:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
long gone :(
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  16:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bummer. thanks for letting me know emptyreality. So I want to hear more... would you buy it? What did the song fbf sing on sound like? What were the lyrics like? Was there a theme across all the songs? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  17:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't you think you're asking a bit much from emptyreality?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  17:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha... those were just general questions for anyone... not just for emptyreality.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  17:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotcha. I'm still in the dark as far as this release goes.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  02:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Angel's Harp' can be found after a quick Google search.

I like it. His vocals sound a bit rough and hoarse, but then he does sing like that a lot these days.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  03:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

'Angel's Harp' can be found after a quick Google search.

I like it. His vocals sound a bit rough and hoarse, but then he does sing like that a lot these days.

Sorry for the lengthy link but this was the product of my quick google search...

http://v13a.hypem.com/sec/7b0d98afdc2987ea2bc09f4faeb206d2/4a02db50/archive/509/3/2b9e502506748412823075d99d4d5a32.mp3
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  03:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok so clicking the link doesn't seem to work but the url does if I copy and paste it into a new window.

If that doesn't work either, this is the page I found it on - http://hypem.com/track/816001/Dark+Night+of+the+Soul+-+Angels+Harp+feat+Black+Francis
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  03:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Download link here
http://jp917.blogspot.com/

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Touché
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  04:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got it!!! thanks!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  15:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NME.COM - Danger Mouse, David Lynch, Sparklehorse album canned over label battle.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  09:33:54  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
additional comments:

http://dugpa.com/

May 15, 2009
Listen to the Entire Album to Dark Night of the Soul at NPR

You can preview all the tracks to Dark Night of the Soul by going to NPR.org. In addition, I have been given an official press statement:

A spokesperson for Danger Mouse says:

"Danger Mouse’s new project Dark Night Of The Soul consists of an album length piece of music by Danger Mouse, Sparklehorse and a host of guest vocalists, along with a collection of original David Lynch photography inspired by and based on the music.

The photographs, which provide a visual narrative for the music, are compiled in a limited edition, hand numbered 100+ page book which will now come with a blank, recordable CD-R. All copies will be clearly labeled: ‘For Legal Reasons, enclosed CD-R contains no music. Use it as you will.’

Due to an ongoing dispute with EMI, Danger Mouse is unable to release the recorded music for Dark Night Of The Soul without fear of being sued by EMI.

Danger Mouse remains hugely proud of Dark Night Of The Soul and hopes that people lucky enough to hear the music, by whatever means, are as excited by it as he is."

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy fuck this thing is good. And the marketing on the record is pretty sweet - not releasing it is going to be far more lucrative than releasing it would be. Kinda goes against the grain, but I like it.

www.dnots.com

-------

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  11:14:36  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
why are the gents at EMI being such dicks about this? i just read on pitchfork that the artists are selling the David Lynch pics along with a blank CD-R. nice.

this song came into my head as soon as read about the debacle. couldn't resist.

yay sex pistols!

an unlimited supply
and there is no reason why
i tell you it was all a frame
they only did it 'cos of fame
who?
e.m.i. e.m.i. e.m.i.
too many people had the suss
too many people support us
an unlimited amount
too many outlets in and out
who?
e.m.i. e.m.i. e.m.i.
and sir and friends are crucified
a day they wish that we had died
we are an addition we are rivaled by none
never ever never
and you thought that we were faking
that we were all just money making
you do not believe we're for real
or you would lose your cheap appeal?
oh don't you judge a book just by the cover
unless you cover just another
and blind acceptance is a sign
of stupid fools who stand in line
e.m.i. e.m.i. e.m.i.
unlimited edition
with an unlimited supply
that was the only reason
we all had to say goodbye
unlimited supply e.m.i.
there is no reason why e.m.i.
i tell you it was all a frame e.m.i.
they only did it 'cos of fame e.m.i.
i do not need the pressure e.m.i.
i can't stand those useless fools e.m.i.
ulimited supply e.m.i.
hallo e.m.i. goodbye a & m

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  15:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man, that really sucks. they went to all that effort and they cant sell their music? so let's just say, someone buys the book and then how would that person then actually download it? by the way I am just one track it it and it sounds great!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  18:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a little surprised there haven't been more posts on this topic since this is probably one of the best albums of the year and Black Francis' track is so rockin'.

Anyway, after watching a tutorioal of how to download torrents, I ventured out onto Demonoid and downloaded the files. After streaming the ablum on NPR, I had to have it. I ended up buying the book, but it would be nice if you could just make a donation on the dnots site if you can't afford the $50 and want to contribute something.

It's just nice having a real entire album to listen to when you don't have to hit skip or what ever. You just want to listen to the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  09:49:28  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was disappointed too by Angel's Harp.
The worst track is the one with Casablancas but I hate the guy so I'm biased. Not too fond of Iggy's and Frank's. But the rest of the album is very cool.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Miss Thing
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  18:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles had no say in the chord progression of Angel's Harp. He was asked only to write the lyrics and sing. Considering that, it's pretty great. But we agree ultimately.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  08:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://laist.com/2009/06/01/david_lynch_and_dangermouse_dark_ni.php
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  05:29:49  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fun wee review of the DNOTS signing at Book Soup in LA, semi-not-really-related, just the juxtaposition for you lynch fans out there is nice:

http://dugpa.com/
Report from Book Soup Signing

This comes to us from OwlFlavored:

I was in attendance at Book Soup last night. The line down Sunset Blvd was pretty long, maybe a couple hundred people waiting to get their stuff signed. I got there about 7:30, half an hour before they opened the doors. A bunch of people were unwrapping new copies of Dark Night of the Soul, so they must have been selling them outside or just inside the doorway beforehand so as to keep traffic to a minimum once the line started to move toward Lynch.

The doors opened, and people started to file inside slowly. As I got closer to the door, I could hear Angel's Harp from DNotS playing over some speakers, and they continued to play through the album on speakers both inside and outside of Book Soup as we progressed. The line filed single file around the perimeter of Book Soup, and finally when it reached the very back of the store, you could see Danger Mouse, Sparklehorse and David Lynch all lined up. There were some security guards enforcing a no pictures policy, which was a bummer.

To be honest, we were moved along kinda quickly and most people just sort of said a little hello, got their item signed and then moved on. Danger Mouse, and particularly Sparklehorse, looked a little upset, because most people were ignoring them in favor of seeing more of David Lynch in person. To be fair, the event did give Lynch top billing, and he is much of more a legend, despite Danger Mouse's success with Gnarls Barkley and Gorrillaz, and I hadn't heard of Sparklehorse before this album.

David looked very happy, and shook everyone's hand. As he was shaking my hand, I told him that I wanted to thank him, because he had given me a scholarship to learn TM through his foundation a few years ago. He looked really happy, and asked me how I've been enjoying it. I told him that I'm loving it, and he said in true Lynch fashion: "good deal!" Then he shook my hand again, and I thanked him again- I didn't know what else to say because I was nervous to meet him, and he said to me and a couple of my friends that I was with "see ya later!" and we left.

Despite how mundane the event was, just people lined up to get things signed without much of a dialogue, there was still some weird energy in the back of that room. I went from bored to nervous in about one second. Weird, but it was great nonetheless.

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  15:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my book and poster a few weeks ago. It's very nice. I am #2,134.
Go to Top of Page

Bubbazooka
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  07:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw this post on a Flaming Lips forum (posted 11/01/09):
"I'm not trying to revive a dead topic here, but for those of you who heard and liked Dark Night Of The Soul (and know that it isn't getting an official release) you can get a hard copy of the album in the form of a test pressing/promo vinyl. I got mine here (http://www.juno.co.uk/products/Dark-Night-Of-The-Soul/361348-01/?currency=USD&utm_source=google_us&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Google%2BShopping)
for $8, but it looks like its gone up a little. It sounds great, and it's awesome that you can get a hard copy at all."
Cool eh?

Edited by - Bubbazooka on 11/04/2009 07:08:52
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  23:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

I got my book and poster a few weeks ago. It's very nice. I am #2,134.

I picked up one a few days ago #4,320/5,000 - DG is yours signed by Lynch and co. or just numbered?

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 11/07/2009 23:46:37
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  06:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just numbered...

is yours signed?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  23:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

just numbered...

is yours signed?

Mine is numbered only as well Daisy. I thought they were supposed to be signed also, but reading further only a few copies were signed. Did you get your 24 x 36 poster? I missed out on that.

Anyway I think it's a good book, glad I found one at a reasonable price.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  14:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1965, that's good your got a good deal on it.

You're not missing much in terms of the poster. It was glossy and folded and really not much else. I don't even know where I put it, and don't really remember much about it.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  02:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
waxinandmilkin.com - GQ names Dark Night of the Soul Album of the Year
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:13:13  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... is gonna be released:

http://pitchfork.com/news/38084-danger-mouse-buries-beef-with-emi-idark-night-of-the-souli-to-be-released/
Thursday, March 4
Danger Mouse Buries Beef With EMI, Dark Night of the Soul to Be Released

Danger Mouse has patched things up with EMI. Somebody throw a ticker-tape parade!

Last year, a dispute between the label and the producer hampered the commercial release of Dark Night of the Soul, the all-star collaborative album/book package that Danger Mouse made with Sparklehorse frontman Mark Linkous and film director David Lynch. Danger Mouse told the Tripwire that he couldn't release the album for fear of EMI suing him. Instead, the album-- which features appearances from people like the Flaming Lips, Julian Casablancas, and Iggy Pop-- leaked online, and the accompanying book was sold with a blank CD-R.

The reasons for the legal dispute are still mysterious, but apparently they didn't run that deep. BBC 6 Music is now reporting that the dispute is over and the album will be officially released this year.

Danger Mouse told 6 Music, "The problems of last year are last year, so hopefully it will be out soon in June or something like that."

A spokesperson for EMI also issued a statement to 6 Music: "We can confirm that EMI are working with Brian Burton AKA Danger Mouse again, and are delighted to be doing so. Further information on releases will follow shortly."

In other Danger Mouse news, he's now partnered up with Shins frontman and Dark Night of the Soul guest James Mercer in the duo Broken Bells. Their debut album is due next week from Columbia.

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  02:34:30  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
R.I.P. Mark Linkous.

Bummer.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  03:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

R.I.P. Mark Linkous.

Bummer.

Denis

Agreed - losing Mark and Vic Chesnutt within a few months of each other is a real blow.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  05:51:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coincidentally I just listened to both of them, on the Daniel Johnston tribute comp.

Denis

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000