Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  14:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought World War Z was terrible.

I recently watched Fermat's Room; I thought it was pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  21:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they should do a storage wars movie

"Do Re Me So Far So Good"
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  08:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I thought World War Z was terrible.

The search for a decent blockbuster continues.

Lately I've seen Disconnect, Compliance and The Bling Ring. No mess, no fuss, good storytelling.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  11:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't really care for The Bling Ring; there just didn't seem to be enough there for a full length movie. How many times do I need to see them breaking into a celebrity's home? I got the criticism and the (speculative?) origin of their superficiality but beyond that? It looked pretty and was easy to take in but after an hour I had enough.

I plan on watching Room 237 soon.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  07:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just grabbed Lovelace. Hell of a story. Hope they've done it justice. Amanda Seyfried can be amazing, really get to the heart of it.

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  14:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gravity looks great but is hokey and corny as hell.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  21:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same with Captain Phillips

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  05:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw Only God Forgives. SPOILERS: Lt. Chang is an amazing character. I almost never do this but I think he would've sliced off Anton Chigre's hands before he could even flip his stupid coin. Anyway, interesting to watch a movie without tons of exposition; and the framing of shots was fantastic. As well as the use of colors and lighting. Gosling's characters first meeting with his mother explains the entire horrible history of abuse in that family. Just a brutal movie with an amazing performance by the guy who played Chang, from the way he held his arms as he walked, to his stare; fascinating. This level of stylization probably works best atop a simple straightforward plot; that was ntohing new but the way it was told was so intense.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gonna be great. i know it

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=110407

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  08:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/frozen/27886/disneys-frozen-review

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  05:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best movie in the world? possibly

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/frozen_2013/

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  06:22:47  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any word on the editing?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  13:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

floop, why did you have such high expectations for this? obviously you had good reason, as those reviews suggest. writer? director? what?

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  22:28:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He fucks the producer

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  04:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, well git r dun, floop.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  07:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

quote:

floop, why did you have such high expectations for this? obviously you had good reason, as those reviews suggest. writer? director? what?

i worked on it (for over 2 years) so i have a lot invested in it (over 2 years of my life). also it's good. very proud of it. go see it!

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  17:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're a graphic designer? for Disney?

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  18:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm an editor. have not had intercourse with the producer

go see Frozen!

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  02:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking my neice to Frozen soon. Seeing Gravity in 3D tonight and have Clear History and Drinking Buddies waiting on my hard drive. Good month for movies.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  05:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frozen is a film about a little snowman. I haven't seen it yet, but give it 5/5 stars and two thumbs up.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  07:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Congrats on your work. I figured you had a job in f/x based on your beer-submission video. What are you working on next? What are some other films you've worked on?

cheers!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  18:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks arm, for the kind words.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  20:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant, I thought you were doing cg but I was wrong. It's interesting that you're an editor. Wow, that's a huge role in the movie. Do you enjoy it? Were you left to your own devices for the assembly? Did the director often sit in while you were working? Are you allowed to talk about these things? Hmm, I could see the company not wanting you going on about it but maybe I'm wrong.

Have you done other movies? Anyway, yes, you're welcome.

Maybe one day you'll edit a Pixies video...who knows...

cheers
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  07:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to clarify, i wasn't the lead editor. don't really want to give my name on here but yeah, i've worked on other stuff. live action films and lately animation. do appreciate your interest. seems like you know a bit about it. sometimes it's hard to explain what an editor does. especially regarding animated films. my parents still don't really know what i do

you are correct about (the lead) editor having a huge role. and yes, he works with the director(s) on a daily basis. generally how it works is an editor is given free reign to put a scene together, then the directors will come in and give notes, and from there it goes back and forth endlessly till everyone is happy. it's a collaborative process. as an assistant editor often times i will get first crack at a scene,. the editor will give me a scene to start with, from scratch, and i'll put it together in a way that i think plays best. they he'll look at it and change what he wants to change, and keep what he thinks is good. then take all the credit. i can tell how good i'm doing by how much or how little he changes. in some cases an assistant will get to take a scene from beginning to end, working with the directors

i definitely can't talk about the next project as it's so early on it hasn't been announced. it probably won't come out for 3 or 4 years :) i'll be sure and come back on here then and plug that one

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  15:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so how come you can't close the deal with the producer?

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  10:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

don't really want to give my name on here

i thought your name was Floop Hanrahan. you're living a lie!

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  15:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting Floop, thanks for elaborating. I hope you transition into being an Editor sooner rather than later. Looks like Frozen's been getting good reviews. Do you ever think they'll be cg-animated movies strictly for adults in this country? The only one I can think of, (that flopped, I believe) was based on a video game. I don't even recall what it was called. I don't see why the studios would take a chance on an adult cg film when they're making money with comedies appealing to both children and adults.

Anyway, good luck on your next project, hopefully this place will still be around when you get around to promoting it.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  11:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gravity was pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  19:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Very interesting Floop, thanks for elaborating. I hope you transition into being an Editor sooner rather than later. Looks like Frozen's been getting good reviews. Do you ever think they'll be cg-animated movies strictly for adults in this country? The only one I can think of, (that flopped, I believe) was based on a video game. I don't even recall what it was called. I don't see why the studios would take a chance on an adult cg film when they're making money with comedies appealing to both children and adults.

Anyway, good luck on your next project, hopefully this place will still be around when you get around to promoting it.

that's an interesting question arm arm. i don't see why there wouldn't eventually be CG animated films geared specifically towards adults. most of the CG animation films nowadays are trying to also appeal to adults, but are geared towards all audiences- mostly young. i guess part of the reason why we haven't seen it is because of how expensive it is for high-quality CG animation. the people putting the money in want to see a return, and family films have proven success (look at the top grossing films of all time - most of them are animated features). i think as technology continues to evolve and become cheaper, things will open up more. in a way you could argue that a lot of the heavy visual effects films are essentially animated features (like Avatar, Lord of the Rings). but i get what you are asking

would be interesting to see what Miyazaki would do if he were to do a CG animated film

Edited by - floop on 12/07/2013 07:14:03
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  14:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this performance by the cat in Inside Llewyn Davis. The most remarkable performance by a cat in the movies apparently.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  01:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw The Desolation of Smaug last night. It's a little uneven and some of the scenes invented for the film go a little to far, but there's a lot of pretty fantastic stuff and some witty moments. Mixed feelings about it but it's certainly entertaining if you're willing to go with it.

Edited by - Carl on 12/14/2013 01:15:22
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  12:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

quote:

i worked on it (for over 2 years) so i have a lot invested in it (over 2 years of my life). also it's good. very proud of it. go see it!

congrats, will go see it.
i'm starting to appreciate more the editing part of the film industry; two weeks ago i had to put together a short surprise clip for co-worker's b-day, with congratulations etc... everyone had some input (too much really) and of course i had to insert something childish so when the boss praises his expert knowledge and top professional skills the video would cut to footage of him moving furniture (subject lured into it by girl staff and captured on phone). but i found it's quite a pain getting the movie from your head into the real sequence. at first it may seem undemanding with just razor and tape to work with, but it makes the whole difference between the unobtrusive flow of emotions that rolls flawlessly in the mind and a bunch of abrupt transitions that i had to re- and re-arrange.
there's surely much more to editing than that but it was enough of a headache for me, esp. with a too short deadline. if it weren't for that i'd try to have some people reshoot their parts.
test audience was pleased but the final thing felt somewhat crappy to me. couldn't get a second shot at it because my aging computer took all night to render and i had to deliver the next morning.
crappity crap. pet peeve.
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  12:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
movie thread, yes

i'm hoping to see

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  13:30:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see it too.

--

I'm taking a plane tomorrow and the movie selection isn't appealing (1st world problem, as they say):
Behind the candelabra
Elysium
We're the Millers
Blue Jasmine
Pacific Rim
Wolverine
Gatsby
The Heat (the Bullock flick, looks decent)
and a bunch of animation movies but no Frozen

I might give the Woody Allen film a chance.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  17:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
American Hustle
Couldn't wait for this movie to end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic