Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 BIG Pixies announcement coming on monday!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...my spiritual sources are leaning heavily toward something REALLY big and exciting here...something new...and yet total revelation is secret as of this moment. Hold on...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

boner machine
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what, as in the 'fool the world' thing?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:12:51  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fail the world

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my guess is that someone is stirring the pot.....to get some buzz going...then release some truly big news! they are pixies!! that's what pixies do!!.....why would they name a new box set of old material "minotaur"? seems kind of strange.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:37:44  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do think there's more to this than we know (could be wishful thinking). The joke has come upon us? We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

fail the world

:D
Go to Top of Page

tomwhite
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the proposed catholics box set is cheaper than this! Thats what i find gutting, i want the box set in all its glory, but $450!
Go to Top of Page

boner machine
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well if it is all a joke and then they release a new album, it better be f%^&ing good! because we all feel really let down by this $175 piece of cardboard.
maybe they can just sell me an empty box and i'll put my own friggin pixies cd's in it?

Edited by - boner machine on 04/21/2009 08:34:50
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:45:09  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When did music get so expensive?

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

boner machine
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been looking at the artwork that was posted on the facebook page, and really, it doesn't seem right does it?
i mean if they had used pictures taken at the time of the original album artwork but not originally used (kinda like an outtake or something) then fine... but creating new pictures seems kinda artificial, like a reconstruction. to me it doesn't seem right. and really, it's not even good imho.
...so i'm starting to think this really is all a joke...
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:17:47  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/pixies-minotaur.html

The Pixies' 'Minotaur' box sets: Will you buy 'em?

Apr 21, 2009, 02:04 PM | by Simon Vozick-Levinson

Categories: Reissues, The Pixies

Unless and until the Pixies' on-again/off-again reunion leads to any more new recordings, fans will have to content themselves with listening to the four awesome albums (and one awesome EP) that the alt-rock pioneers released between 1987 and 1991. At least we'll have a new way to enjoy that catalog this June 15, when the Pixies release a comprehensive box set titled Minotaur. For $175, they'll give you the Come On Pilgrim EP, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe le Monde, all with newly expanded artwork, plus a book and a DVD with a 1991 concert and all of the band's videos. For $450, serious collectors can purchase a limited edition that includes all that as well as the five releases on audiophile-quality vinyl, a bigger book, more artwork, a Giclee print, and so on.

Both options sound very nice -- though I'll admit the prices feel a little steep for something that doesn't involve any remastering or (so far) any confirmed bonus tracks. Still, visuals were such a critical part of those Pixies albums that it would be a mistake to underestimate how cool the new art could be. What do you say? Will you consider shelling out for either edition of Minotaur, or are you happy with that scratched-up CD you bought in 1990?

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya i don't know the process matto, we'll just have to wait to see the reviews of the DVD to see if that is even worth getting..even though i don't own a BR player and don't plan on getting one.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
drum roll please...

http://www.globaltotaloffice.com/cgi-bin/ggi_08/ggi.pl?fid=1212072451.07&query=pagenum%3D1%26cgifunction%3DSearch&cgifunction=form
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What pr asshole thought of this brilliant marketing strategy? Thanks for the big announcement, but no thanks. And who ever is behind this, thanks for getting my hopes up for the last time. Just please put this new material thing to rest once an for all. It's like an abusive relationship and I keep going back for more punishment. Why?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:11:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sonic Youth have a new album coming out.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I was a million times more excited to read a (positive) review of Petits Fours in my local indie hipster weekly this afternoon.

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

What pr asshole thought of this brilliant marketing strategy? Thanks for the big announcement, but no thanks. And who ever is behind this, thanks for getting my hopes up for the last time. Just please put this new material thing to rest once an for all. It's like an abusive relationship and I keep going back for more punishment. Why?

Omigosh, Daisy, I've never heard you sound this ... unsunny. Can't say I blame you.

Happy hearts fall from my shaking hands

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

I was a million times more excited to read a (positive) review of Petits Fours in my local indie hipster weekly this afternoon.

quote:

Omigosh, Daisy, I've never heard you sound this ... unsunny. Can't say I blame you.

I agree with you Daisy!! Really bad advertising and a lame move on the band's part.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi K, :) I would love to read that Grand Duchy review. I need something to pick me up. It's great to hear from you. It's been awhile.

Skate, thanks. I hate to say it, but what really got me was the new name, the new artwork and that Steve Albini produced it. I was so dumb and didn't know that people actually produce box sets. It just seemed like it had to be new. Or maybe it was just the topic headline on the A+R site that said "New Pixies Album" that had be believe what I thought would never happen is true.

The thing that bums me out too is that I called and woke up my cousin to tell him about this and we were so psyched. It really bit the big one having to tell him it's only a box set.

By the way, I think that the April Fools joke was pretty lame too. I didn't read about it until after it was proved to be a joke but this yanking the fans' chain is just not cool.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 04/21/2009 15:01:01
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

asshole

Wow.

And I agree completely.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here it is, Daisy. Short and sweet:

Grand Duchy
Petits Fours (Cooking Vinyl)
Former Pixies frontman Black Francis and wife Violet Clark team up for slacker pop-meets-synth dance. They share vocal duties, with Francis lasciviously grumbling like some flannel-clad Nick Cave while Clark yelps like Metric’s Emily Haines with an actual glint of intelligence and musk of sexuality in her voice. Petits Fours is broader than a mere Pixies revival—think New Order with scratchy guitars. 6/10 Trial Track: “The Long Song” (Erik Leijon)

http://www.montrealmirror.com/2009/041609/disc.html

Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:32:22  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been such a supporter of the Pixies over the years, but now I am gonna delete all their albums off my ipod and stick their Cds and DVDs into storage. They are basically saying a big "fuck you" to the fans. After BF half assed performance in Melbourne last year where he heckled us and basically called Australians rednecks and hicks, I got no sympathy for the fat man either. Pixies, you suck. Here's my "fuck you" to you..
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks K. Welcome back Cohen. Helmut, sorry to hear that you're so pissed.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have the same feeling, they could just make a simple announcement for the box, instead of playing a mysteries and say a big announcement playing with all our hopes.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  16:40:52  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i know i won't be buying the boxset.
the only thing i'm interested in is the brixton 1991 dvd. however, the version circulating (from me by the way!) is pretty good so this official release will have to be pretty damn good for me to bother with.
if it's released on it's own on regular dvd format i'd buy it, but not part of some overinflated boxset.
and having all their promo single videos on it as well is a bit redundant seeing as they've already been released.

and as for bonus tracks - i see there isn't anything announced yet, but i'd be curious to see what they could come up with...
b-sides have already been done (albeit with big gaps), as has bbc sessions.
so that leaves previously unknown songs, which seems unlikely or they'd already have released them and live versions, which should be covered with the brixton dvd...
what would get me interested would be the johnny malta version of trompe le monde...now cool would that be.

and as for remasters - 4ad remastered them all before the last best-of was released - they decided not to release them tho, but the best-of does use the remastered versions, and there's also those SACD remasters which are quite good as well.

i know they're just milking the cash-cow, but as helmut else said, the band won't make much money from the boxset compared to touring, and this isn't the way to justify yet another best-of tour...just seems strange..
releasing the brixton video by itself would have been a good idea, but this whole boxset seems a little odd.

and as for sell-outs, i don't see that until i see a new album produced by timbaland in the stores.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  19:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please, benji, don't tempt him

Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  23:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That works out to $30 per disc (incl’ DVD) for the ‘Deluxe Edition’ and around $ 40 per disc/vinyl for the ‘Limited Edition’.

I think that’s great value.

I’m going to pre-order the ‘Limited Edition’ to keep at home and the ‘Deluxe Edition’ to play in the car.

Sure, I’ve got all the albums already on tape/CD/vinyl plus the DVD. But, Pixies are a great band (right?) and you can never get enough of a great thing.

If you’re a real Pixies fan (like me) then I’m sure you’ll be doing the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  00:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"YEAH FUCK THE PIXIES, blah blah blah... THEY DID SO MUCH HARM TO ME .... Gna gna gna. NEVER EVER THE PIXIES... Bouh bouh bouh. HOW DO THEY DARE... oh oh oh... I AM A LITTLE CRYING BOY...
Gna gna gna. I WILL LOG OUT OF THIS FORUM FOREVER AND LISTEN TO radiohead FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE... GNA GNA GNA... Lalala. Pouet puet pouet...."

Pff... you suck hard guys... Grow up and get a job.

++++
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  08:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Srisaket

That works out to $30 per disc (incl’ DVD) for the ‘Deluxe Edition’ and around $ 40 per disc/vinyl for the ‘Limited Edition’.

I think that’s great value.

I’m going to pre-order the ‘Limited Edition’ to keep at home and the ‘Deluxe Edition’ to play in the car.
If you’re a real Pixies fan (like me) then I’m sure you’ll be doing the same thing.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  13:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for the record, I wasn't pissed that they are touring again with no new material. I support them in any tour they have. I am not pissed that they're making money from this. I still think for what they have given this earth, they are far under paid. I was just really pissed that this whole pr thing was a friggin' nightmare and it was very misleading. Hopefully pr will be more sensitive to the fans' feelings in the future. Although I am not pissed off about it, I do think the box set is too pricey and will be saving up my $ for the Golem box set. By the way Joey, welcome back from Santiago. How was it?

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 04/22/2009 13:05:47
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  15:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just for the record, I wasn't pissed that they are touring again with no new material. I support them in any tour they have. I am not pissed that they're making money from this. I still think for what they have given this earth, they are far under paid. I was just really pissed that this whole pr thing was a friggin' nightmare and it was very misleading. Hopefully pr will be more sensitive to the fans' feelings in the future. Although I am not pissed off about it, I do think the box set is too pricey and will be saving up my $ for the Golem box set. By the way Joey, welcome back from Santiago. How was it?

this pretty well sums up my reaction as well.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:03:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
seconded

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  11:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way Joey, welcome back from Santiago. How was it?

Aloha Dear Girl! I am still on the road of the pilgrimage to Santiago, it took hopefully longer than expected. After 2 months in Turquey where I was initiated to the Vipassana technique of meditation and introduced to the subtle philosophy of Islam I crossed the Balkans and I find myself in Slovenija playing the Blues and falling in love with local people.

I stayed tunes with all the news from our beloved Black Francis checking the forum regularly. When you go through the latest messages, no matter who wrote them (I m just looking for key words and concrete info) you cannot help feeling that some fans are exagerating. I really don't see the point of calling for boycote or something... The Pixies have not killed any mothers nor do they bomb Gaza.
They will tour again, give the chance to more teenagers to see them and show them what is real cool music. Old fans can get there or not. They can buy that box set or not. I will not because for 400 bucks you can travel A LOT, but that's my problem.
Of course like everybody I was very excited about that big announcement and I even dreamed about Minotaur (yes I heard their "new album" in my sleep, I will release it some day)
Anyway we will certainly have a new album sometimes and if not we will have some new Black Francis & Co. So... Relax, please. Let them do what they will. We are so spoiled... It's no good.

Love for all and see U soon.

Yusuf

++++
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  16:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Joey, that's so cool. Did you see the big bottle of incense when you were in the Cathedral? Vipassana meditation sounds cool. You are right, it's all good an we're spoiled. Save travels and don't forget to drop in and say hi.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  14:22:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just had a thought. Maybe all this was a stunt to draw attention to this A+R- site, which up until recently I had no idea dealt in deluxe box sets from a variety of artists.

I'm sure they've done this before, the Bam Thwok iTunes exclusive, and oh look there's an iPod in lQl !

A lot of product placement and parallel advertising can be subtle.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000