Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Spartacus
- FB Fan -

Australia
84 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  23:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is incredible stuff....the conjuring, wow.

'I thought that I would stay just for a while'
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  23:17:51  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Order #1186. Can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  23:22:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

1174! This excitement rivals DITS!

My thoughts exactly. When we first heard the DiTS tracks (it was the Madison gig in Feb. 2000 if I'm not mistaken) everyone went nuts, just like now. Plus, it was a time when everyone would hear the record at the same time, the day it got released; after that albums would get leaked on emule a couple of weeks before the official release, bringing the excitement down somewhat. Hail to the Golem!

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  00:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1191! I was a bit put off by the price at first. Maybe it's good value for this sort of thing? I don't know, all I know is that I don't recall paying $100 for a Frank Black release before.

Somebody tell me I've done the right thing by buying this! I haven't heard any of this material before...is it worth it?

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  00:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad this didn't leak before the official release. I think it is worth the wait and the $ too.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  01:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

From this picture, it looks like there are two sizes of the release. Some of these packages appear to be thinner than the other.
What's up with that?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  01:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a ring-bound book - thicker along one side.

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  01:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm bowled over by it. I thought I'd like it. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with it like I've done. The cumulative power of the tracks is awesome (I recommend ripping all 26 tracks at 320 kbps from http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=719B80696628BAF0 while you're waiting for your Golem tomes to show. The audio quality is perfect or near perfect, It should be, the original files were posted by blackfrancis.net).

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  02:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I dont want to sound negative (that I aint) but:
-I'm not into that artwork business (like minotaur and co).
-I like the songs, especially because once again BF delivered a kind of sound and songwriting he had never done before (maybe something between bossanova and devil's workshop?) but I think it doesnt work as a soundtrack (Neil Young's Dead Man is working much better). Maybe a LIVING director could ask Charles to make a soundtrack and then they could talk about what's best to go with the movie?
-I'll wait for the rock album.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  03:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

The cumulative power of the tracks is awesome (I recommend ripping all 26 tracks at 320 kbps from http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=719B80696628BAF0 while you're waiting for your Golem tomes to show. The audio quality is perfect or near perfect, It should be, the original files were posted by blackfrancis.net).

what do you mean by ripping?
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  03:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He means capturing the audio from the youtube videos, and saving it onto your computer.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

Maybe a LIVING director could ask Charles to make a soundtrack and then they could talk about what's best to go with the movie?

Tarantino hasn't made a western yet. Charles could do great things with a Morricone-inspired score (and at last a really fitting place for those cattle rancher yelps).

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

He means capturing the audio from the youtube videos, and saving it onto your computer.

it's educational

that sounds lame
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sound is great though. An audio file is an audio file regardless of source. Grabbing a 320kps mp3 off the net is no different to grabbing it off a CD or media player. Or do you mean morally lame? Sorry I don't mean to hi-jack the thread. There are good arguments against mp3s and ripping. I don't really want to try defending it.

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:44:54  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see the age-old war between Papua New Guinea and Pitcairn isn't over yet...

Denis

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niue remaining Niuetral?

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:56:45  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah but we have the Niueclear weapon!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Yeah but we have the Niueclear weapon!

Denis

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

quote:

it's educational

that sounds lame

I presume DanJersey is making a joke referencing music file format- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME

i may be wrong, however i have 90% of the Golem downloaded and i cannot wait to get it into the car and get some volume on it. Loved Bad news and custom all the way. Hope the rest is same style.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:04:03  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The real shame of this record is knowing it was one of (if not the) last projects that Duane Jarvis played on. His lead guitar work adds so much to this record. I wish this band could have recorded more than just this one project together...

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian - i agree, that is a real shame. From the Golem podcast that played the San Fran live score extracts, the band sounded like it had a really nice vibe to it. Obviously Duane's guitar was excellent on FMRM. I also like the Honeycomb B sides which i beleive he played on. they had a lovely guitar tone. RIP DJ.

On a side note Brian - presumably you have heard the Golem and all its tracks. How would you rate it alongside Bluefinger / SVNFNGRS.
From what i can hear from the bad news and custom all the way it has a more rootsy feel, not as abrasive as the two BF records. It seems to be a cleaner sound. What is your opinion on it having had a few listens (presumably).
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:20:54  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Duane plays on the best tracks from FMRM (from what I understand, Raiderman, Time of my Ruin, Real El Rey and Don't Cry That Way). Plus I think it's him on the live disc of the best-of, which is excellent (the European edition at least).

Denis

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

quote:

it's educational

that sounds lame

I presume DanJersey is making a joke referencing music file format- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME

i may be wrong, however i have 90% of the Golem downloaded and i cannot wait to get it into the car and get some volume on it. Loved Bad news and custom all the way. Hope the rest is same style.

shhh! now don't tell anyone, but what I initially meant was "hey tro how does one rip audio from youtube?" ya see I had never done it. Then discoking stepped in and answered the obvious (not his fault I could be that clueless) which I think in turn made trobrianders feel like it wasn't necessary to explain how its done.
than I just got plain lazy and passed judgement but only halfheartedly thus the thinly disguised pun. because I really don't care what people do with their computer and I don't own an IPOD or have a CD player in my car which Sam pointed out would be a great way to sample Der Golem which I did purchase from blackfrancis.net (I was hoping there would be a cassette version but oh well)
and Denis is french.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  06:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"hey tro how does one rip audio from youtube?"

Denis is french.

I use free Real Player. It gives me a handy little download link for Youtube vids. But I'm on a pc. I thought you worked off a mac and so I didn't try and offer any advice cos I'm not too up on it all. There are lots of free ways to rip. Window shop at download.com

trobrianders at googlemail dot com

Yeah, Denis is French

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  06:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

An audio file is an audio file regardless of source. Grabbing a 320kps mp3 off the net is no different to grabbing it off a CD or media player.

I know this is nitpicking, and going more off-topic, but this isn't entirely true.

If you rip it off a cd, you compress audio from cd quality to 320 kbps mp3. Perfect to save some space. You'll lose some quality, theoretically, but I doubt you'll be able to hear the difference.

If you rip it from youtube, you're re-encoding the 100 kbps or so audio from youtube to a 320 kbps mp3. First of all, this is a bit of overkill: you don't need 320 kbps for this. Secondly, chances are you will be able to hear the difference if you compare it to the original. Youtube clips usually have very low audio quality.
Just because your "grabber" allows you to grab audio as a 320 kbps mp3, doesn't mean that the result will have 320 kbps quality. It just re-encodes the audio to 320 kbps mp3. You can't increase quality of 100 kbps audio by re-encoding it at a higher bitrate. All you get is a bigger file.

An audio file is indeed an audio file; I can't argue with that. But you can't say there is no difference.

But hey, if you say it sounds nice, why not. And if you really want to listen to Der Golem before you get the cds in your hands, this is basically your only choice.

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 02/15/2010 06:43:15
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  06:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening through the music for the first time (thanks, trobrianders) and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm pretty much a lapsed Frank fan -- he lost me somewhere around Svn Fngrs -- so I feel like I'm listening to The Golem more objectively than I might have a few years ago, and it's really working for me. Unspecifically, it just sounds really good. Good songs, well-played, lovely production, etc. Can't say I'd pay $90 for it, but it's good, damn good.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  07:22:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You DIDN'T LIKE Svn Fngrs? coastline, you're a hopeless cause

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  07:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Hi Brian - i agree, that is a real shame. From the Golem podcast that played the San Fran live score extracts, the band sounded like it had a really nice vibe to it. Obviously Duane's guitar was excellent on FMRM. I also like the Honeycomb B sides which i beleive he played on. they had a lovely guitar tone. RIP DJ.

On a side note Brian - presumably you have heard the Golem and all its tracks. How would you rate it alongside Bluefinger / SVNFNGRS.
From what i can hear from the bad news and custom all the way it has a more rootsy feel, not as abrasive as the two BF records. It seems to be a cleaner sound. What is your opinion on it having had a few listens (presumably).

My opinion is that it is my favorite FB record since SMYT. I'm trying hard to articulate why - i think it is because it doesn't sound rushed to me. Honeycomb/FMRM were done in just a few days, Bluefinger sounds like a blast of inspiration caught on tape, SVN FNGRS is fun but some of the tracks are a little undercooked for my taste. This had to be meticulously thought out since it had to (quasi) sync up with the film, and the time and energy put into the music (not to mention the amazing craftsmanship that went into the book) really shines through.

I've been arguing with myself whenever i put on my iTunes to NOT play it so much as to avoid burn out.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  08:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting to hear these comments. This is also the most excited I've been for a FB album since Show Me Your Tears.

There are moments of Honeycomb and FMRM that I appreciate, I think I liked Bluefinger (though weirdly I'm not so desperate to go back to it to remind myself how much) and I definitely enjoy svn fngrs a lot but I haven't experienced this kind of compulsive listening since SMYT maybe with the exception of the studio tracks on Christmass which I still can't get enough of.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  09:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Youtube clips usually have very low audio quality.

it's educational

Many Youtube clips have very low audio quality but Der Golem sounds good. You're right they're at 100kbps or so. I'll re-encode to 128kbps next time. Thanks for that tip.

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  09:23:40  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No really, I am Niuan! Uh, Niuean! Niueist!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  09:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I've been arguing with myself whenever i put on my iTunes to NOT play it so much as to avoid burn out.

- Brian

You can never have too much of good shtetl rock.

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion is that it is my favorite FB record since SMYT. I'm trying hard to articulate why - i think it is because it doesn't sound rushed to me. Honeycomb/FMRM were done in just a few days, Bluefinger sounds like a blast of inspiration caught on tape, SVN FNGRS is fun but some of the tracks are a little undercooked for my taste. This had to be meticulously thought out since it had to (quasi) sync up with the film, and the time and energy put into the music (not to mention the amazing craftsmanship that went into the book) really shines through.

- Brian
[/quote]

I agree with you Brian, the songs seem really full, great instruments. The saxophones are back! That intro is beautiful. Makes me think of orange era Frank with John Linnel and Kurt Hoffman doing the horns. The whole piece is arranged beautifully. I salute Eric Feldman. Are those jazz flutes on custom all the way? Genius. Any mention of a tour for this record?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard both CUstom all the way and miriam before the i saw the film, and was impressed with the odd song structures. It was cool watching the film and seeing how the moods of the film were what inspired those structures - like the coda in miriam and florian or the ABCCBA structure of custom
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:47:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've watched about half of these clips, and I have to be honest I can't seem to bring the film and the score together, they just don't match. The music vaguely conveys to me the atmosphere of the film, and changes in the mood or action seems out of sync with the song structure some of the time.

It's a very difficult project though, and I fully appreciate the effort he has put into this and commend it. But I think as an it idea had limited potential from the start. To work it needs more of a film score structure than a double album, something that places it more in the background, I feel that it distracts too much from the storyline, and many of the subtleties of the film are lost.

Not a great fan of the wind instrument sound either. The only time I can recall where I've liked this sound in his music is on a few tracks on FMRM.

Just my initial thoughts, maybe I need to give a chance, there are probably still a few good songs on it. I'd love to own a copy of anyway. A film I'll probably only watch 3 times, an album I'd listen to maybe 20 times max and a book I might pull out and flick through once in a while so I could gloat to myself that I actually owned a copy, and how much it might be worth in 10 years. It's a collector's item, and a pretty awesome one at that. Way out of my price range at this moment though sadly.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000