Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  19:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, who's going besides me? Any suggestions for interesting places to eat/drink before the show near Richard's on Richards are welcome, the last time I was in Vancouver was 25 years ago.

I'm booked into some cheap hotel downtown. I forgot to check if room 902 at the Hilton is available...

Oh and I read somewhere that it's a fluid-setlist, all full band, plugged tour. YESSSSS.

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  19:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sweet, i'll be there. if ya wanna meet up prior to the show let me know. i play hockey until 5pm. can be downtown by 6. i know some cheap and crusty places and also some cool, if not pretentious places that have better selectons of beer and scotch.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  19:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was for the wednesday show. i'm in class 'til 5ish on thursday and will probably have to devote a couple hours to studying that night but will go down around 9ish. i will decide after seeing what time frank hits the stage on wednesday. ya dig?

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  21:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm on for Wednesday. Yeah, let's see what plans we can make beforehand. I'm always in for a decent brewpub with decent food.

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  14:32:07  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be there for at least the first show, might not be able to stay for the second night.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  17:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yeah!

Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you local, Crispy?

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  20:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is killing me.

the cure make me want to die, but in a good way -- mr.biscuitdoughhead

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  02:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
come to van K! come to van!

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  02:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think crispy's from calgary. but don't quote me on that.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  03:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

i think crispy's from calgary. but don't quote me on that.
Edmonton, I think. Crispy?

Edmonton?

quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

come to van K! come to van!

Can't The Man mosey over to Montreal? What's with this only-Vancouver bogusness?

the cure make me want to die, but in a good way -- mr.biscuitdoughhead

Edited by - kathryn on 09/19/2007 03:46:32
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  04:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know, must be a West Coast thing. Snobbery, perhaps.

If you can't get the West Coast to come to you, you have to go to the West Coast. That's the wise conclusion I came to a morning.

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm from Edmonton, yeah. I'll feel like a local over the next couple weeks, as I'm coming to see They Might Be Giants next Tuesday then returning again for this. I probably come to the coast about 3-5 times a year, usually for shows.

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  16:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll buy ya drink at they might be giants crispy! send me an e-mail early next week. do you drive out?

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  08:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sweetness.

Yeah, I drive it, too much to see that a plane skips over.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  16:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Straight.com.

Music Previews
Spirit of Dutch debaucher
inspired Black Francis

Music Previews By Shawn Conner
Publish Date: September 27, 2007

The relative merits of Charles Michael
Kittridge Thompson IV's output with the
Pixies versus his solo career have long been
a source of debate among alt-rock fans. With
the reunion of his seminal band a few years
back, the minor controversy was stirred
further, and his decision to readopt his
former nom de plume for his latest release
isn't going to quell message-board
discussions.

But more interesting than his decision to
release Bluefinger under the name Black Francis rather than his usual solo moniker, Frank
Black is the inspiration behind the disc. Herman Brood was a pioneering Dutch rocker and
painter who, after years of ravaging himself with hard drugs, committed suicide at the age of
54. In the press release for the album Thompson admits to having been "gripped by the spirit"
of Brood while recording a bonus track for a Frank Black best-of disc, titled 93-03. The result is
a disc that is, directly and indirectly, related to Brood.

"I'd heard about him but never really listened to him," says Thompson, calling from his
manager's Portland, Oregon, office. "I discovered a performance of his on YouTube, and it was
riveting."

What he unearthed while researching the European musician's life motivated him to write and
record a new batch of tunes. The most obvious Brood-indebted song may be "Angels Come to
Comfort You", which features Violet Clark (Mrs. Black Francis) on backup vocals and pays
sombre tribute to the musician: "I saw the statue of Herman Brood," sings Thompson. "It had
a lump down in its throat." "You Can't Break a Heart and Have It", meanwhile, is a scorching
cover of a Brood thrasher.

Other homages, though, are less obvious. "Threshold Apprehension", a manic meltdown that
most closely approximates the Pixies' sound, includes the line "Grand Marnier and a pocketful
of speed", which was the doomed Dutchman's cocktail of choice later in life. The grungy title
track, written from Brood's perspective, is full of striking imagery ("the pepperbox bell blowing
my brains") as he tells of coming from the Dutch city of Zwolle, whose inhabitants are
nicknamed blauwvingers ("bluefingers") for reasons too medieval to get into here.

For Thompson, the inspiration came at an opportune time. He had agreed to the best-of
collection against his better judgment ("I'm not retired I had no emotional stake in it, it was
just a bunch of old songs") and wasn't sure what to do next.

"I really didn't have any plan at all," says the singer. "I was like, 'Here I am, the Pixies reunion
is over, they're not going to make a record, I'm 41. What am I going to do?'" Now that
Bluefinger is out, Thompson is typically nonchalant about where it fits into his career.

"It seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. Is it going to change my life? No. It will maintain
it. It's not going to tear up the charts." He's a small fish, he says, and he's fine with that. "I
can always get a gig and put out a record. That's the goal of a musician. What more do I
want?"

Black Francis plays Richard's on Richards Wednesday and next Thursday (October 3 and 4).

Vancouver Sun - Music Listings.

Black Francis The force behind the Pixies
delivers tunes from new solo release
Bluefinger, with Eastern Conference
Champions. Richard's on Richards, Oct. 4,
9:30 pm, $25, ticketmaster.ca, Zulu, Scratch
and Red Cat.

Edited by - Carl on 10/19/2007 17:59:49
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  16:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey that's my local free entertainment rag. cool. i'll have to grab one today.

Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  07:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, 3 night's sleeps left. Shineoftheever and other locals, let me know if/where you guys have a beer before the show. I may join you but at this stage I can't be sure of my whereabouts then. I may simply follow my instincts and enjoy some cool place to relax before going into Bluefinger gears.

Cheers

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  17:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 sleeps, sweeeeeet.

czar, you got a cell phone? we can text each other when you get here. i know a couple places that are pretty good. maybe somewhere on granville like the "el furniture warehouse". or if you like cheap, then there is "the cambie" or "pub 340". ceili's and doolin's have great beer selections, not to mention the scotch. i can't get too blitzed as i have to be at school the next day at 8:30am but i will have a few. are you going both nights or just wednesday?

Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  19:16:07  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No no, just Wednesday. And I've got a flight out to San Diego Thursday AM at 8:40, so I can't get wasted too much on the Wednesday. All I'm looking for is a nice, lively place, where they have good brew and food that is decent.

I have a Blackberry. The address in my profile. I'll send you a mail if yours is available.

Cheers!

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  01:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was great to meet you benoit! and dan x2 considering we hooked up at the TMBG show. anyways, for the others....

tonight was much the same as last night apparently.

started with the water
then gyaneshwar
aborted monkey gone to heaven
there was also
wave of mutilation
nimrod's son
i think one other before playing acoustic....horrible day (awesome!)
the band was hanging on the stage from song 3 on just waiting and being patient.
then the band started with
test pilot blues
then captain pasty
played almost all of Bluefinger
plus motorway
and break my body
and dead man's curve.

no encore

must go tomorrow....
must go tomorrow....
must go tomorrow....

highlights for me - break my body, motorway, you can't break a heart and have it, threshold apprehension

Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice summary, Shine!

Break My Body and Dead Man's Curve were definately awesome! DMC, full band, real loud... I can still feel the pounding.

I think they played all of Bluefinger, btw.

Couple of top of mind comments... Sound was surprinsingly bad for a venue like this. Frank's voice was not audible at times, imagine Violet's (who is beaming with goodness!).

Band is not tight enough yet, it will become better each day. But they sound great anyway. I like their style. I rarely saw a bass player sitting on a stool.

Accoustic set was nothing compared what he did last year, both in quantity and, unfortunately, in quality/intensity but Horrible Day was a treat.

Bumped into at least 3 forum members (Shineoftheever, Crispy Water and Wilsmyth). Nice seeing you, guys!

Oh, I noticed that the promoter for the gigs used jediroller's Lille shot on a poster, the same pic I had on my tee. Difference is, I did ask permission to do this, I suspect he didn't. Jediroller, you should sell that shot!

A very rejuvenating evening, I must say... This was worth the trip!

Ciao

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is an emoticon for shedding tears of jealousy!?

Happy hearts fall from my shaking hands

Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand your pain, kathryn. :-)

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No you don't, you bastard! You with your ears ringing with The Frank. Arrhghghg.......

Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My throat is as sore as if I was screaming like him. Actually, I was but it didn't sound as good.

He will come in Mtl, don't worry.

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  19:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Czar, how many compliments did you get on your cool t? Is that how you were able to meet the other forumites?

We're all obscure fans.- trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

Marquil
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  06:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We heard Black Francis at Richards on Richards last night (Oct. 4th). Where the hell was the rest of Vancouver?? I refuse to believe that 2+ million people had something better to do. Not complaining, mind you. The venue was as intimate as a confessional. Richard's fake smoke machine was a distraction and didn't add much to the atmosphere (kind of like having a serious conversation with someone wearing a fake beard and moustache).
Only regret is that Black Francis and crew didn't come back for an encore--understandable, I suppose, given Violet's condition (on that matter, by the way, if the Mozart effect really works, can you imagine what a righteous, twisted, chubby genius this baby will be?)--that, and BF wouldn't sing "St. Francis Dam Disaster," for fear of forgetting the lyrics. It really does suck, this getting old.
Go to Top of Page

BobbyPin
- FB Fan -

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  07:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well last night was just lovely for mealong with the 3rd as well but my highlight of last night was mr. francis and his vivacious, captivating and blistering screams during stormy weather. could of died a happy boy after that evening. i managed to record both nights on minidisc but have yet to copy them to my comp. need to slightly adjust some levels but they seemed to have turned out alright. you gals/guys will be the first to hear the audio once i save them to my comp. vocally in my opinion theres no range, aggression , passion and pure ehphoria like frank. i mean c'mon if he wanted to he could make probably even rap enjoyable.one of the most underrated singers ever.

I spoke like a child,
You destroyed me with a smile

Living is easy with eyes closed,
Misunderstanding all you see
Go to Top of Page

olirockcity
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  08:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know... I was at the show last night also and I was a little bit disappointed. This was only the fourth time I saw mr thompson and I thought it was by far the worst. The band was not tight at all, the bass player only seemed to know the chords for the bluefinger songs (I wanted to direct him to the tab archive). The drummer was fine, but definitely nothing special. BF's voice sounded great, but the whole no encore thing is ridiculous. If you are going to charge 35 bucks a ticket, you can come back out and play for 10 more minutes or something. I know that it wasnt full, but you need to play for the people who did make it out.

I love his music, and i have had great experiences at his shows, but last night was nowhere near my expectations. And he has never not met my expectations before.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  08:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daisy: got a few ;-) Yeah, I think it was kinda easy for forumites to spot me.

Olirockcity: of course, there were downsides to this gig but not enough to call it a "disappointment" for me. You're right the band was not as tight as can be and you gotta like this very laid back approach (some would say sloppiness) FB has for most of his work. Someone was saying in another topic that BF could use a producer on Bluefinger. I disagree. The spontaneity of the whole thing is refreshing.

35$ to get such a dose of energy and madness (Break My Body) was worth it big time. I could have died right after the song, a very happy man.

Sorry again kathryn that you missed this.

olirockcity
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  10:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that was interesting: He introduced the band initially as Kim Deal on bass and Joey Santiago on drums... (the bass player then said something about the power of positive thinking.) I wonder what that says about his current band/relationship with dave loverling.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  10:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The band should have responded that Kurt Cobain was on guitar... ;-)

kenten
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  01:00:33  Show Profile  Visit kenten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olirockcity

One thing that was interesting: He introduced the band initially as Kim Deal on bass and Joey Santiago on drums... (the bass player then said something about the power of positive thinking.) I wonder what that says about his current band/relationship with dave loverling.

Well, it sounded like he later introduced Violet as "my lover, David Lovering," so does that mean he likes Dave best?
Go to Top of Page

kenten
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  12:06:37  Show Profile  Visit kenten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, I should add that both shows were just great. I loved them, and it was fascinating to hear what first really attracted me to the Pixies--the screaming Black Francis vocals tempered with soft female background vocals--used in all-new songs.

Was anyone else surprised how chatty Francis was during the first show? He said more in that show than in the last... let me see... SEVEN times I saw him COMBINED. He can be chatty in interviews, but it was really nice to see him be so open and relaxed like that on stage. He just seemed really happy. And then the next night, it was back to normal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000