Joey Santiago on Frank Black Solo Songs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wanderer1
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  15:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any resource (old interviews, websites, etc.) documenting which Frank Black solo songs Joey Santiago played lead guitar on? I'm guessing he played on most of the first solo album..

Thanks to anyone that can help!

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  15:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know that little booklet-ey thing, whatever you call it, for TOTY that has all the lyrics, says which songs Joey played on, might be the same for the first album.

It's 1969, okay.
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  15:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here it is.

he played lead on 8, 20, 21, 22, and second lead on 15, so that's Sir Rockaby, Pure Denizen of the Citizens Band, Bad, Wicked World, Pie in the Sky, and 2nd lead on Hostess with the Mostest. That's just on TOTY, as for the yellow/orange album, I dunno.

It's 1969, okay.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  21:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first album liner notes just list joey in the "additional guitars" department along with morris tepper and david sardy (but he is listed first).

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  04:07:48  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
solo on losangeles sounds like JS
Go to Top of Page

Behind the Mule
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  07:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree totally about Los Angeles. Parts of Ramona sound like Dig For Fire to me- Right after "it was alright..." Joey's also in the video for Hang on to Your Ego playing the solo. And the lead on Places Named After Numbers always reminded me of some of Joey's parts on Bossanova (that song could almost be on Bossanova). Those are just my strong hunches.

JS is credited on DITS for guitar on Blast Off, Robert Onion and Dog in the Sand.

He is credited for additional guitars on Devil's Workshop. I heard an interview from that time where FB praised Joey for his solo on Modern Age. I assume he plays other parts on that record as well.

He is also credited for additional guitar on SMYT. And to my ears that's JS playing the really rough solo on This Old Heartache around 2 minutes in. Again, I'm sure he plays more on this record too.
Go to Top of Page

Behind the Mule
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  07:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MqtVedGzo

'Hang On to Your Ego' video. Now that's some good Joe.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  00:59:32  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember reading on this forum that "His Kingly Cave" (the DW version) has Joey on electric guitar. Which didn't surprise me at all. The solo to "His Kingly Cave" reminded me of the solo to "Alec Eiffel".

Man, Alec Eiffel. What a great song that was.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  03:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just one of those things. Some musical partnerships compliment each other so well.

It should go without saying that I adore fb's solo work, but I'd be very sorry if Mr Santiago doesn't join him for further works.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  04:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey, Lyle, Rich, and that's an order.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000