If you love jimmy....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  19:35:17  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote

About a month ago I set up a myspace page for my friend Joe- he's a painter, but he's very shy, especially about his pictures- I'm always the one who shows them to people.

If you've seen some of his paintings on the page ( http://www.myspace.com/landspeedsong ) and you like them, or if you love me, or if you're eternally grateful for some of the wonderful advice I've given in my advice column, "Ask jimmy", please send Joe a friend request.

( By the way, at the moment, I'm without internet service, now that my cheap roomate cancelled her service; so it may take a couple days for me to reply on myspace; also if you have any questions for "Ask jimmy", that may take a while also. )

check out my friend's paintings at http://myspace.com/landspeedsong

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  19:42:46  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David Byrne and Aimee Mann responded right away. I never heard back from Kathy Griffin.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  07:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have to be a member of MySpace to view the paintings? This is strange, but I just read a little interview today with Aimee Mann where she critises sites like MySpace:

Guardian Unlimited.

Is the internet a good thing for music?

It's good for information, but pages like MySpace turn everyone into a musician, almost all of them terrible. It's as if people think there are bundles of money lying around, when actually becoming a musician is a drastic choice.

Edited by - Carl on 07/24/2007 07:19:15
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a stupid woman. Doesn't everyone have a right to try their hand at music?

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  12:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who's saying they don't have a right to try? She's right, most of them are terrible. Including the signed ones that actually get paid to be terrible musicians.

I can't stand MySpace. I really don't get its popularity. It takes forever to load a page, even with a mega deluxe T1 super cable, it looks like shit, and, as Aimee Mann points out, is filled with people's horrible demos.

Sorry jimmy, I didn't even check out the paintings. Nothing against you, I'm just over MySpace. And blogs. Everyone also now has the ability to be a critic, and most of them are terrible.

"Thanks for the add!" Jeezum. Get outside and get some fresh air. Also, get off your damn cell phone.

I hurt my back this past weekend. Does it show?

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  13:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Who's saying they don't have a right to try?
== jeffamerica ==

With comments like hers........erm her? She basically pissed off because everyone is having a go, whether they are good or not.

She's obviously an idiot. As well as being shit herself.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  19:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jimmy, hope your internet access comes back soon. Those paintings are very cool.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  21:06:05  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news! My roommate got the internet back up again!

In defense of Aimee Mann...I'd like to see the whole interview; I'm thinking maybe that wasn't exactly what she meant and the context is clearer in the full text. If she really meant what she seemed to be saying I'd have to disagree.

But anyway, a few months ago on the forum someone asked what album people thought was perfect- where every song was good, no filler...I was thinking about it and I'd say Aimee Mann's Bachelor #2. Every song is great, there's not one track I'd cut.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  04:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't actually heard anything by her (as far as I know), I just thought I'd respond to her comment with an equally rash, ill-thought out one of my own.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6102 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  06:15:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

I haven't actually heard anything by her (as far as I know), I just thought I'd respond to her comment with an equally rash, ill-thought out one of my own.

yeah, but you're right

I can name 20 myspaces of unsigned artists that make great music.
Do I feel offende personally? Yes! I think my music isn't horrible, but ok, I'm not the one to judge.
But I'm positive that my myspacefriends make great tunes.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  17:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahh, my point is no one is saying they don't have the right. She's saying they probably shouldn't, because they suck.

Why she even cares, I don't know. Maybe bands are being signed from myspace demos and she feels threatened? I somehow doubt the record companies are scouring myspace for new talent when they can just sign whoever's left over from American Idol and sell a bunch of record immediately.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  00:14:07  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Do you have to be a member of MySpace to view the paintings? This is strange, but I just read a little interview today with Aimee Mann where she critises sites like MySpace:

Guardian Unlimited.

It's good for information, but pages like MySpace turn everyone into a musician, almost all of them terrible. It's as if people think there are bundles of money lying around, when actually becoming a musician is a drastic choice.

Seriously, FUCK Aimee Mann. It's not like bands didn't have websites before Myspace, and who the fuck is she to criticise other musicians, bands and artists? FUCK HER.

She's just scared that some other dullass woman songwriter will get signed offa Myspace and encroach on her space.

------------------
www.myspace.com/doog = solo choons
www.myspace.com/casabonitaband = noisey stuff
www.myspace.com/WKtheband = surfrockpop geekery
www.myspace.com/ukpixiestribute = Nimrod's Son

Edited by - Doog on 07/26/2007 00:15:07
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  08:53:18  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't believe nobody's angry at Kathy Griffin. She completely ignored the friend request I sent.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  10:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy
In defense of Aimee Mann...I'd like to see the whole interview; I'm thinking maybe that wasn't exactly what she meant and the context is clearer in the full text. If she really meant what she seemed to be saying I'd have to disagree.

Well, the whole Q&A think is in the link. I'm not trying to put Aimee Mann on the spot, here. She wasn't completely putting down MySpace and sites like that or anything. Personally, I feel that sites like these are so popular, that they're hardly a handy step up for musicians, it's not not like a way of cheating your way to a record deal. There's millions of musicians out there, it doesn't mean a flood of people are going to click on your page an make you rich and famous. It's just another useful outlet.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  18:18:03  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went back and read it- good interview. I can't agree with what she said about myspace... sure, there are probably a billion shitty bands on myspace, but I'll never hear them so I don't care. Besides, I never understood notes or chords so I'm hugely impressed with anyone who can play an instrument, no matter how bad they are.

I think, though, that the internet & myspace are good for music in general, at least as far as bands being able to get their songs to people without having to go through record companies & radio.

Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  18:23:46  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, now that I've settled that...
I'd like to hear people say how much they love me, how much they love Joe's pictures, or at least let's have some hate towards a certain comedian who hasn't responded to my friend request ( "Fuck Kathy Griffin. FUCK HER" )

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  19:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're a freak, jimmy. Is that the kind of love you were looking for?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  20:27:39  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll take what I can get, thanks coasty.

Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  21:12:36  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, that kind of hurts, especially coming from the guy who started the "colostomy sex" thread.

Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  00:01:17  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so excited to have internet again, so I thought I'd jump right back into this Aimee Mann quote-

It's good for information, but pages like Myspace turn everyone into a musician [ I used to have a page, it didn't turn me into a musician. There are a lot of people who are in bands, now they have Myspace pages. No big deal ], most of them terrible [ Who cares if they're good or not- maybe they'll get better, maybe they'll suck for a while then come to their senses. You don't have to listen to them. In all the time I had a page I never listened to a band that I didn't already know. ]
It's as if people think there are bundles of money lying around [ She's had a lot of problems with record companies, it sounds to me like she's just bitching about that; still, the way she says it makes it sound like she thinks most people are delusional idiots ], when actually becoming a musician is a drastic choice [ becoming anything is a drastic choice. Sure, she's speaking from experience, and sure, I bet there are difficult aspects to being a musician that have never occoured to non-musicians like me. This entire quote really does make it sound like she feels threatened by competition, and even worse- she sounds offended that she should have to compete with non-professional musicians who didn't study at Berkley. ]

Yeah, she comes across as an asshole, but I still love her music.

Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  00:37:24  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sad. I'm disappoited in myself. I've been on this forum for a few years, still I haven't made friends here.

I just read the "911 Inside Job" thread; I didn't think it would be interesting, but it's been a boring night.

If I had a friend on this board, someone who knew me and cared about me, they would've alerted me to it. Seeing some crazy homeless peron on the street is no fun, but people who are insane yet still function in society are fascinating. I'm in heaven.

Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  00:40:15  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now I'm going to re-read the entire thread while I gently stroke my balls.

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  04:23:37  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have a good stroke on yr balls jimmy

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  04:57:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read the 911 thread too and it bored me to death. Nobody warned me against it either.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:10:05  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vilainde, I didn't want to be warned against it, I wish someone had alerted me to all the good stuff in that thread sooner...

I wanted to watch the craziness unfold as it happened.

I skimmed it, there's no way I'd watch the clips or read the articles- that doesn't interest me at all. What got my attention first was that guy from Thailand saying "Don't affect that condescending tone!"

Using the word "folks" is condescending, I think. It's something male schoolteachers say.

I didn't like starmekitten's threat to lock the thread; there was no need for that, but I have to agree with her about all the links. That's not a debate or a discussion, it's just a scrapbook of Tim mcViegh-type "news".

What I loved, above all, was how obsessed King of Kareoke was with people watching "the documentaries". As if by watching them, you'd be completely won over. "You've gotta watch these documentaries, folks"

It would be like me starting a thread about the free-market and then saying over & over "Read Atlas Shrugged".

And that e-mail he got from a friend that he finally converted last year- Don't you think he's got a copy of it printed out and framed over his computer. He's planning to be buried with it when he dies.

I loved KoK saing to dallas "Again you dance around the questions wearing your Sunday best." plus that whole thing with the "shit sandwich".

Did anyone ever see that episode of "Wildest Police Videos" or something like that, there was a a clip of a cop yelling at some 14-year-old skateboarders, and he was clearly ripping off R. Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket. He had them lined up against a wall, he was asking them questions, he said "Outstanding!" a bunch of times. So lame it made you embarrassed to be a human being. If you didn't already despise cops, you did after seeing that. Even the voice-over guy made some joke about the guy watching FMJ one too many times.

Edited by - jimmy on 07/28/2007 10:24:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000