teeth grinding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:51:18  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any fellow teeth grinders? Good God, man. Of been grinding the hell out of my teeth at night. For the past week I've been using a football mouthguard (it'll have to do until next month's paycheck when I can get a professional mold), but last night I ground my teeth so hard that I hurt my canine tooth -- with the mouth guard!!

Does anyone have a professional mold guard. Does it work well? Were you satisfied?

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  07:08:19  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's quite strange: I used to suffer from teeth grinding at night when I was a kid, but now it's gone (just once and a while it comes back, but in fact almost never)

I don't know much about the causes but I know it's a real pain in the ass for the persons you live with

sorry if I can't help :(

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  07:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stress can tend to do it, so says my dentist...
I tend to do it a bit
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny this topic should come up...I have been grinding my teeth so terribly in my sleep lately. This morning I woke myself up by actually chipping my front tooth! I was on the phone with my dentist when I happened to see this thread! Misterwoe, stress is the major cause of sleep grinding. Medication can figure in too, if you are taking anything. I am on a med that has this side effect. My whole jaw is actually sore from this teeth-grinding. Ugh! My feelings go out to you all!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:48:28  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a major tooth-grinder by nature. I've been doing it for a long time and actually freaked out some roommates in college. One of them had to wear earplugs because it was so loud.

I smoke cannabis but don't take any medication. I'm naturally an anxious person. My step-mom said I should consider medication for this, which extremely offended me. I depend on my anxiety to write. You know what I mean?

The dentist recently told me that at the rate I'm going, my teeth will be gone in ten years. Bummer. I just hope that if I spend a shitload of money on a professional mouthguard, I won't have any problems with it. You know what I mean?

Although, one dentist reasoned that a $300 mouth guard is better than thousands of dollars in reconstructive dental surgery.

It's good to talk about this, though. We're not alone. I love you guys.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My girlfriend does it.

Probably god paying her back for not liking Airplane, but liking Bright Eyes.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't grind my teeth but I sort of flick them with my tongue. This then leads to me having a sore tongue for a while :(

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ugh, people grinding their teeth is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. except fingernails on a chalkboard dont seem to bother me. so its like what fingernails on a chalkboard is like to other people. if that makes sense.

my apostraphe key isnt working today...

"I'm in love with the world, through the eyes of a girl."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't resist.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a tooth grinder. I have noticed recently just because of stress from work, I have started to do it during the day too, unconsciously of course. My yoga teacher caught me on it right after I have been to the dentist and I realized I was doing it during the day, too. :(

I just got a bite guard recently. Luckily, my insurance covered the whole thing. I can't say I like it, but I agree with your dentist that it will cost a lot less than grinding them down in the long run.

By the way, is chewing gum bad if you grid your teeth? I couldn't bring myself to ask the dentist because for some reason I thought it she would say it would be bad.

bluefinger

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 07/19/2007 18:35:21
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  08:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the dentist yesterday. Learned a great deal. Grinding of the teeth, or bruxism (textbook term) is associated with a common jaw disorder called Temporomandibular Joint Disorder. It is associated with stress, and left unchecked can wreak havoc with your teeth and skull (!) down the line. I am in the early stages of this, but early diagnosis has eliminated any danger. I had impressions made for a mouthguard (which I will get on Tuesday). My insurance has covered most of it. For now, a temporary guard was made of acrylic, and I wore it last night. Couldn't sleep...was afraid it would come loose and I would choke to death on it. But, I'm sure it's something that just takes some getting used to. Also, I was told by the dentist this should cure the head pain I've been suffering from. I've spent hundreds of dollars uselessly on CAT scans and tests galore to pinpoint phantom pain for over a year...now I'm told it's from this disorder. The jaw muscles and ligaments are strained and damaged from clenching and grinding, and the mouthguard (or occlusal splint) is designed to keep teeth from touching during sleep in order for the jaw muscles to relax and heal. These muscles, tendons, and ligaments account for almost 100% of headaches, sinus problems, and neck pain! He told me in 4 - 5 days I should feel a vast difference. The things we learn!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  08:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i kind of self diagnosed myself with TMJ a month or two ago, probably wrong to do so. i don't grind as such but i have a problem with my teeth aligning and often catch myself clenching tightly and trying to find a fit. i passed through a period of stress and i'm mostly ok now, but my jaws still often ache, it's a nightmare trying to find a position that feels like me jaw is at rest. i was also having some problems with dizziness and balance, and found a few websites saying that TMJ can affect that because it's right near the ear. i also had strange headaches on my left side of my face, the jaw which hurt the most.

i think the teeth aligning problem came from having braces when i was younger and the job not being done properly/me not wearing the retainer as often as i should have afterwards. it's the kind of thing i don't really want to see a dentist about in case i have to have braces again, or some other form of jaw aligning crap. however, if a mouthguard can help, i shall definitely consider seeing a dentist about it.

"Idiot" is just her sig.

Edited by - PixieSteve on 07/20/2007 08:59:58
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  09:11:38  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a suggestion for you all... The Swan Foundation Dental Health Research Program.

"This is a volunteer program funded by the Swan Foundation. You are all volunteers. All your teeth will be pulled. Teeth are a source of infection... It pays to be on the safe side."

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  09:15:42  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Couldn't resist.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.

aaah Carl... you know how to talk to me

great song, and they were a great band at that time

you make me want to listen again to their early stuff

pas de bras pas de chocolat

Edited by - cassandra is on 07/20/2007 09:15:58
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  09:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

...but i have a problem with my teeth aligning and often catch myself clenching tightly and trying to find a fit. i passed through a period of stress and i'm mostly ok now, but my jaws still often ache, it's a nightmare trying to find a position that feels like me jaw is at rest. i was also having some problems with dizziness and balance, and found a few websites saying that TMJ can affect that because it's right near the ear. i also had strange headaches on my left side of my face, the jaw which hurt the most.

i think the teeth aligning problem came from having braces when i was younger and the job not being done properly/me not wearing the retainer as often as i should have afterwards. ... if a mouthguard can help, i shall definitely consider seeing a dentist about it.

"Idiot" is just her sig.

We share the same history!!! Sounds like you have the same thing...TMJ. Go see the dentist. Also, does your jaw click? Mine is a clicker!!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  10:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My jaw used to cleck, but not any more. I am sceptical about the mouthguard. Surely there is a chance you could choke on it?

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  11:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

I am sceptical about the mouthguard. Surely there is a chance you could choke on it?

Well, if I suddenly stop posting in the next few days...

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  15:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL... you won't choke but it feels weird and will take a week or two to get used to. It fits pretty snugly so you will get used to it.

Thanks for the info TRANSMARINE... very interesting.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5452 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  16:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife has been using a mouthguard at night for maybe 10 years. No problems.

Now we've noticed our 9 year old daughter grinding at night.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  10:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

LOL... you won't choke

bluefinger

There has to be a chance.

Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  13:02:54  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm scared I'll hurt my canine tooth on the mouthguard again. I mean, how in the hell does that happen?!!!

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  17:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

LOL... you won't choke

bluefinger

There has to be a chance.

Well, I guess anything is possible, but those things fit on so snugly that you have to really pull them off with your fingers to take them out... :)

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  05:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll suggest it to her again, but to be honest, she doesn't do it that much now anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  22:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

My girlfriend does it.

Probably god paying her back for not liking Airplane, but liking Bright Eyes.

Hahaha, too funny.

I'm a grinder too. Even on vacation, so I can't see it being stress. The fact that I'm wearing my teeth away is stressing, though. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  06:45:20  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heard the Grinderman album the other night. Pretty good. Things are going well with my 99 cent mouthguard, by the way.

Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  22:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you all mean, I ground my front tooth down so low that it died. I had to have a root canal and braces.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having had extensive root canal a while ago treetime, you have my sympathies.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000