Song with Gordon Gano
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  09:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this was posted before, but the Search feature time outs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitting-Ground-Gordon-Gano/dp/B00005NWLB

This is a 2002 CD by Gordon Gano, ex-Violent Femmes. Run features FB. I never heard it before.

Cheers

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  09:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I also spotted this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wig-Box-Various-Artists/dp/B0000C3I9J

Features one FB and one Breeder song.

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  11:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fbc?

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  15:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Czar

Sorry if this was posted before, but the Search feature time outs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitting-Ground-Gordon-Gano/dp/B00005NWLB

This is a 2002 CD by Gordon Gano, ex-Violent Femmes. Run features FB. I never heard it before.

Cheers

Thanks Czar. Here it is.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3a2xtz

From Aversion.com's review
While this album’s been released as a Gano solo work, it’s not the traditional trip down solo side-project lane, as, although each song on the record was penned by the head Femme himself, he only steps in to record a mere three tracks on his own. The rest are augmented by guest artists who do everything from simply lay down vocal tracks (Frank Black) to record Gano’s entire song in their own fashion (They Might Be Giants).

Edited by - trobrianders on 06/22/2007 15:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  15:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tro! I was not aware of this piece.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  02:01:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i realised a long time ago this song doesn't actually exist, kfs, and all this is in fact a conspiracy against me and my sanity.

there is a song called run
there is a dude who sounds like Frank singing it
there are interviews with Gano acknowledging Frank's participation
holiday son did share a live track of said song

but...

IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM DID FRANK BLACK EVER RECORD A COVER OF 'RUN'
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  04:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused. Why are people convinced it's Frank?

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  05:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is Frank. It's just not in the Discopedia for some reason. (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  07:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somebody gave me this song a couple months ago (Bohemoth, maybe?), and I swear it was Frank.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is not
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  11:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the album itself says that its frank. Each track was sung by a different artist.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  12:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fbc, something you're not telling us?

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  14:42:50  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is frank.
it is the best cover.

i'm just joking with myself. it dates back from the conception of Disco.P. sorry for any confusion. i'm lame. excuse me. listen to the song. love the song. It's 100% Frank black at his best.

kfs knows the score.

Edited by - fbc on 06/23/2007 14:44:37
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  14:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

kfs knows the score.

Wiser words were never spoken. kfs is the bomb. And it's totally Frank. Good you came around, fbc.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  14:58:50  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
took me a while, but we get there in the end.

NB: never post in a thread slightly intoxicated unless it's the thread for the slightly intoxicated.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/features/interview.asp?z=y&NID=581082

B&N.com: Many of the songs are loud and rocking. A song like "Run" would overwhelm anything else that was going on in the film.

GG: [laughs] Yeah, I'm trying to think right now of the scene in the movie when that happens. Obviously, there's a lot of energy going on right then. You know what, I'm willing to bet somebody's running. Brilliant guy that I am, I'll write a song called "Run" because somebody's running. Actually, I'm sure. That had to have been it!

B&N.com: And you ran with the idea.

GG: Right, right, that's it. And got the perfect person to do the vocals. That's one of my all-time favorite lead vocals that I've ever heard, is Frank Black on that song. He took that song to a place that I don't think anyone could have done it better.

B&N.com: He sounds like he's hyperventilating.

GG: Every song and every artist, there's always some story about it. In this case, I was on tour in Australia with Violent Femmes when Frank Black became available. So Warren Bruleigh, who co-produced the record, went from New York to L.A. and got in the studio and did it. I wasn't there, but I heard a lot of stories. The engineer in the studio wanted to stop: From what I'm told, Frank Black would actually go running at the microphone, and it turned into some very physical event when he was doing it, and the house engineer was like, "Somebody stop him!" And Warren Bruleigh was like, "Nobody moves, keep the track rolling. It's okay that it's distorting, it's okay that he's hitting the microphone with his head or whatever." [laughs]

FRANK BLACK RULES O.K

Edited by - fbc on 06/23/2007 15:07:44
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  15:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

never post in a thread slightly intoxicated unless it's the thread for the slightly intoxicated.

Are you referring to your post of roughly 10 a.m.? (I'm trying to figure out time zones here, and may have missed by an hour or two.) You start that early in the day? That's hard core.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  15:22:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no no no. my "is not" pissed post was at 6pm me time, I'd been to a wedding. I popped home. Killed a minute surfing here and saw a thread about one of my favourite fB performances. I've been on a one man mission to have RUN acknowledged as an fB track for like two years, in a joking way, of course.

Blame kfs. She's knows what RUN does to me. My posts within this thread are her responsibility. she egged me on.
Go to Top of Page

Otherfellers
- FB Fan -

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  15:30:22  Show Profile  Click to see Otherfellers's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders
Thanks Czar. Here it is.
Ed is the hoo hoo

m4p is drm protected.

thanks for the effort though, never heard it and if gano thinks its that great...
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  17:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Otherfellers

quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders
Thanks Czar. Here it is.
Ed is the hoo hoo

m4p is drm protected.

thanks for the effort though, never heard it and if gano thinks its that great...

what he means is... do it again, and don't fuck up this time.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  07:57:00  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the CD, and the song with Frank is the best! As one amazon reviewer put it, it sounds like FB drank 50 cups of coffee.

RUN RUN RUNRUNRUNRUN!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!
Go to Top of Page

Jordy
- FB Fan -

35 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  15:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Errg

I was really disappointed in this. I'm a huge Femmes and Frank fan, but I hate this song. Besides that it's the same as "Bad" from the Femmes album "Freak Magnet" (and no, this isn't an exaggeration, it literally IS THE SAME SONG, it's just...really...bad? Generic? It's kind of gross.

The song that TMBG covered is pretty good though.

-Jordan
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  19:23:25  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Oh no no no. my "is not" pissed post was at 6pm me time, I'd been to a wedding. I popped home. Killed a minute surfing here and saw a thread about one of my favourite fB performances. I've been on a one man mission to have RUN acknowledged as an fB track for like two years, in a joking way, of course.

Blame kfs. She's knows what RUN does to me. My posts within this thread are her responsibility. she egged me on.

I have run in my "b-sides and rareties" playlist on itunes, along with Reeves Gabrles stuff and etc. I stop at putting Jail Guitar Doors on it, cause you can BARELY hear frank and his guitar. But run counts for me, especially since he owes a bit to Gano, they are kindred spirits.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000