New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OliverK
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  16:24:50  Show Profile
Is this still being sold at shows?

I want to pick up a second copy and since I'm seeing FB soon, I figured I might be able to buy it at the show.

Thanks.

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  18:50:39  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Heard from the grapevine that FB&TC will not be selling any merchandise at shows this time around. No idea why. Instead, pick yourself up a copy of The Bennies album/albums. ;)
Go to Top of Page

carsonwerner
= Cult of Ray =

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  18:58:18  Show Profile  Visit carsonwerner's Homepage
I bought mine on the DITS tour, but since then I've seen it in a couple record stores, so it might not be too hard to find if you look in a more independant store.
Go to Top of Page

Robert Onion
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  23:26:11  Show Profile
You can purchase it at WAR site http://secure.whatarerecords.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=5&products_id=19

-Robert-

Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  02:37:59  Show Profile
I never really took the time to check out oddballs because all the songs where known already. Is worth to put money in this, having my own oddballs compilation (and it's got ALL of Frank's Bsides) ?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  03:14:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Yep, the songs have been slightly remixed. Some are identical to the originals, some are longer versions (eg Announcement & Man Of Steel), and some sound really cool in the "new" versions (I love Baby That's Art, more than the original). Plus there's an unreleased version of Jumping Beans.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  11:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage
also, if you're a completist...
-dan
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  08:27:55  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
I was able to download ODDBALLS from Emusic.com when it was first available so I don't have the original CD case. I remember reading that each song was quoted by him as "me sounding like Dylan" or "me sounding like Jagger". Can some one list each song and who he said he sounds like in that song. Thank you.

"It's the Nexus of the Crisis"
BÖCswu
Go to Top of Page

d3niz3n
- FB Fan -

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  09:50:27  Show Profile
This is really a great CD; very worthwhile picking up if you can.

Liner notes:

Most of these songs were released in Europe as either b-sides of bonus tracks except Jumping Beans, which was never released, and Man of Steel which was originally released on a compilation record called Songs in the Key of X. All recordings were done between 1994 and 1997 in Los Angeles and New York City.

I got together with Dave Schiffman in Loas Angeles in 1997 to review b-sides and outtakes, some to be re-mixed for this compilation, and so this is not a completist collection, just some songs that I liked. I left plenty of songs out, and some I'm even tempted to re-record, but that's another session, and so here they are, some re-mixed oddballs.

Pray a Little Faster: trying to be Dylan
OddBall: trying to be Stones
Village of the Sun: treying to be Springsteen and Dylan
Baby, that's Art: trying to be Bowie
At the End of the World: trying to be Bowie
Can I Get a Witness: trying to be Dylan
Announcement: trying to be Daltrey
Hate Me: trying to be Strummer
Remake/Remodel: trying to be Sahm
Everybody Got the Beat: trying to be Strummer
Jumping Beans: trying to be Lou
Just a Little: trying to be me
You Never Heard About Me: trying to be Strummer
Man of Steel: trying to be me

-Frank Black, Los Angeles, April 2000

Played by Lyle Workman, David McCaffrey, Scott Boutier, Eric Feldman, Nick Vincent, and Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  10:04:07  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
Thanks, that was quick.

"It's the Nexus of the Crisis"
BÖCswu
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  00:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
I don't understand why Frank says that Jumping Beans was never released when there's a rough sounding copy of it on The Black Sessions... is the Black Sessions an official release because I never really see it in the Frank Black section in record stores.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  03:22:22  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
The Black Sessions was released by 4AD, and I think it could have just been a UK thing, because it's pretty hard to find normally. The version with The Kitchen Tapes, however, might be a bootleg. I would hardly call that version of Jumping Beans an official release. It was just a demo at that point.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  04:29:35  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
It's not a bootleg. My copy is from some Australian label (I think) called A Noise Annoys, and from what is said on the booklet, Frank officially gave the extra tracks for the release.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  07:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Its weird. Has anyone ever seen two copies of the Black Sessions. Ive got the version with a picture of Frank wearing shades on the front and holding a guitar (obviously as its a live picture of him). But there was another package which is in the form of a black cd case. Maybe one is a US release and one is a UK release... but I'm pretty sure the version with the black cd case doesn't contain the Kitchen Taoes.

The Black Sessions is also pretty hard to find here, I have never really seen it since I first found it 5 years ago, only on the internet, and even then its difficult (or used to be) to get hold of. Cracking album though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000