Ole Mulholland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  03:39:02  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listening to it on the way back from a lecture. One of my favourites from TOTY, but does anyone else think the speaking bit around 3:14 is a definate nod to Captain beefheart?

On retrospect the whole song has a very Beefy feel to it, guitars, vocals, time sig......EDF's influence?

Blats

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  12:12:27  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The lead guitar (panned right) is definitely Beefheart. It has that trebly loud tone that marked Trout Mask Replica. Not to mention the atonal melody it plays - defying convention and yet making sense. The speaking part sounds very much like Beefheart. Except I think FB had his headphones on in the studio. Well, you know...
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  12:27:41  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed. It's quite hard to find people familiar with Beefheart in order to discuss it. I knew FB.net would not let me down.

Blats

Edited by - 50 Pence on 04/30/2007 12:32:22
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  16:44:26  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank played with someone in'93 that was in beefhearts band. Can't remember who listen to the Electric Ladyland show.
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that would be Eric "Drew" Feldman.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000