Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  05:07:44  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
5 star review in the Sun. Wow. That should get him some much needed publicity.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  15:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Dark Stuff: Frank Black 93-03 Is Out Now!

EARVOLUTION.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Frank Black Compilation

Frank Black will always be associated with the
Pixies, but the frontman for that ground
breaking group, of course, has also been fairly
prolific as a solo artist. Black has managed to
release nine solo efforts and a compilation
spanning those works is due out in the U.S.
next week. Through a statement, Black has
this to say about the two-disc set:

"I felt a little sheepish when my manager
suggested a Best Of: I'm not exactly known
for my hit records. But then, I didn't get into
this to have hits. I did it to be a maverick, to
be underground, to be part of that world as
opposed to the Top 40 world. I wanted to be
an artist and a musician, not to get invited to
parties. It's about being true to yourself. But I've got a big back catalogue, and
so for the uninitiated, Frank Black 93-03 is a good place to start. It just sounds
like a regular Frank Black album because all my records are schizophrenic in
tenor - fast song, slow song, country song, punky song. Although it's boring to
say, 'I think it's very representative of who I am as an artist', it really is!"

The compilation features a new track that is a preview from his next record of
new material, Bluefinger, which is set for a September release. You can give a
listen to "Threshold Apprehension" here.

// posted by JD @ 9:04 AM

triple j radio.

Frank Black on Pixies Album

Pixies front man Frank Black has just released a Best-Of compilation of his solo work.

Titled Frank Black 93-03 the two CD set will also include one new track, a preview from an
album full of new material he'll release in September.

When Kingsmill caught up with Frank on the phone this week he had to ask if we're even
gonna get any new music from the Pixies.

"No, I don't think that that Pixie's record's gonna happen. I mean I could be wrong I don't
know.... Just raffling the personalities all in to a recording studio is a problem you know.
[RK] Still that seems to be the issue? [FB] Oh yeah, always will be with certain bands you
know."

19/06/2007 5:01:00 PM

largehearted boy: This Week's Interesting CD Releases

Edited by - Carl on 06/25/2007 09:07:03
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  12:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 star review from Allmusic:

"Review by Heather Phares

Frank Black's solo career took more than a few sonic detours over the years, ranging from synth-heavy new wave homages to rootsy nods to Nashville's glory days. However, Best of Frank Black '93-'03 focuses on the crunchy, quirky rock that has made up the heart of Black's music since the Pixies' breakup. This approach makes for a consistent listening experience, showing that there's less musical distance between songs like Teenager of the Year's "Calistan" and Black Letter Days' "California Bound" than previously imagined. On the other hand, this collection might be almost too straightforward, especially for hardcore fans, who might very well wonder why inspired tangents like Frank Black's wonderful instrumental "Tossed" or Dog in the Sand's epics "Blast Off" and "St. Francis Dam Disaster" aren't represented here. Quibbling aside, Best of Frank Black '93-'03 does a fine job of pointing out the brightest highlights of Black's solo work, from the sci-fi rock of "Los Angeles," "Freedom Rock" and "Men in Black" to more confessional, thoughtfully written songs like "Manitoba," "Western Star" and "Speedy Marie." Even if it doesn't capture everything that makes Frank Black's music great, Best of Frank Black '93-'03 is a good starting point -- anyone intrigued by these songs will love discovering the wilder territory of Black's discography later on."

Aparently, they also gave Bluefinger 4 stars. No review yet, though.
Go to Top of Page

madtempest
- FB Fan -

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  19:45:16  Show Profile  Visit madtempest's Homepage  Click to see madtempest's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
MTV.com:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1563346/20070625/clarkson_kelly.jhtml

TEXT:
Frankly Speaking: Frank Black is much more than just a Pixie — the frontman has also maintained a formidable solo career over the years, and he's got two CDs' worth of choice material to prove it. Best of Frank Black 93-03 cherry-picks from his nine LPs and is beefed up with a bonus disc of live songs from his North American tour last year. There's also a new slice, "Threshold Apprehension," that Black recorded under his recently revived Black Francis moniker — his Bluefinger is due September 11.

Prefixmag.com:
http://www.prefixmag.com/features/W/week-in-preview/582

TEXT:
Frank Black

Best of Frank Black '93-'03

Cooking Vinyl

Frank Black continues to plug away at copious amounts of solo material. (And maybe, just maybe, a new Pixies full-length?) The folks over at Cooking Vinyl have compiled a two-CD set of highlights from the decade's worth of time when a Pixies reunion seemed about as likely as a Dennis Kucinich presidential victory. Highlights include Black's infamous take on La-La Land, "Angeles," and the noggin-throbbing rock (literally) of "Headache." ~John Zeiss

Earvoluion:
http://www.earvolution.com/2007/06/frank-black-compilation.asp

TEXT:
Friday, June 22, 2007
Frank Black Compilation
Frank BlackFrank Black will always be associated with the Pixies, but the frontman for that ground breaking group, of course, has also been fairly prolific as a solo artist. Black has managed to release nine solo efforts and a compilation spanning those works is due out in the U.S. next week. Through a statement, Black has this to say about the two-disc set:

"I felt a little sheepish when my manager suggested a Best Of: I'm not exactly known for my hit records. But then, I didn't get into this to have hits. I did it to be a maverick, to be underground, to be part of that world as opposed to the Top 40 world. I wanted to be an artist and a musician, not to get invited to parties. It's about being true to yourself. But I've got a big back catalogue, and so for the uninitiated, Frank Black 93-03 is a good place to start. It just sounds like a regular Frank Black album because all my records are schizophrenic in tenor - fast song, slow song, country song, punky song. Although it's boring to say, 'I think it's very representative of who I am as an artist', it really is!"

The compilation features a new track that is a preview from his next record of new material, Bluefinger, which is set for a September release. You can give a listen to "Threshold Apprehension" here.

Nuvo (Indianapolis alt/weekly):
http://www.nuvo.net/articles/web_exclusive__black_vinyl/

TEXT:
“93-03”
Frank Black
Cooking Vinyl
5 stars

Frank Black, aka Black Francis, aka the prominent lead singer of alterna-gods the Pixies, has had a prolific and unpredictable solo career that’s finally being chronicled by Cooking Vinyl on the collection “93-03.”

The 23-song track list is done chronologically, and you can hear it too. It goes from punky and primal to the voice of a more mature soul-searcher.

Black’s 1993 self-titled solo debut is represented with four cuts here — the staggering, explosive “Los Angeles,” with its honeyed acoustic interludes, to the moody, visceral edge to “Czar” cranked to full volume and the orbital cow punk of “Old Black Dawning.”

“Teenager of the Year,” widely considered his best solo outing, has five songs here. It maintains the rock underpinnings while expanding its sound to give it depth and a sense of longing. “Headache” is a classic example of Black’s ability to cull unexpected results from his arrangements — making an acoustic song rock as hard as it would if it were electric. He throws everything into the mix on the glorious uprising of “Freedom Rock.”

By 1996's “The Cult of Ray,” and later “Frank Black and the Catholics” and “Pistolero,” Black was rebelling against industry standards and remembering his love for music by touring in a van and playing anywhere and everywhere. He fell in love with analog recording, resulting in music that was much more raw and spontaneous.

He got most of that out of his system by 2001's “Dog in the Sand,” adding varied instrumentation. But the CD closes with a brand-new track, “Threshold Apprehension,” off the forthcoming “Bluefinger” that’s a classic Black rave-up, making this retrospective seemingly come full circle.

Both by himself and with the Pixies, Black has never been a hit-maker. He’s always unabashedly done it for himself. History shows the ones who’ve stayed truest to their own visions are the ones who’ve contributed the most. Black has blazed an undeniable trail for all who’ve followed, and continues to do so.

Daily News (McKeesport, PA):
TEXT:
FRANK BLACK, “Best of Frank Black 93-03” (Cooking Vinyl) #10032;#10032;#10032; — It’s a little odd that former Pixies frontman Frank Black (we knew him as Black Francis back then) has released a two­disc “best of” collection that doesn’t include any material from the four albums he’s made since 2003.
The latter-day work has earned Black some of the best reviews of his long career. So why not showcase that mate­rial as well? Ultimately, how­ever, it probably won’t matter because I can’t see this enjoy­able 31-track collection (plus a hidden new tune) making Frank Black a household name. Even though he’s made some really good music over the past couple decades — “Calistan,” “I Don’t Want to Hurt you (Every Single Time),” “All My Ghosts” and the garage rocker “Hermaphroditos” are the highlights here — he’s never had mainstream appeal. Black’s cadre of fans adore him, but they already have all these songs anyway.
Nine live tracks recorded during his most recent tour make up the second disc. Black sounds pretty good — espe­cially on “The Swimmer” and “Johnny Barleycorn” — but the live material doesn’t make this collection any more essen­tial. ( JS ) ***

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=624184

Canadian Press:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20070626/ca_pr_on_en/music_cd_releases_2

Louisville Courier-Journal:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/SCENE04/706260306
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CapeCodTimes.com.

Rave of the Week: Frank Black's best

Photo 1 of 1 | Zoom Photo +

Frank Black

By Ken Capobianco
July 02, 2007

FRANK BLACK'S BEST

While Frank Black fans wait for that Pixies record that never materialized or his new solo record due later this year, they
can dig into a new collection of his best solo work "Frank Black: '93-'03" (Cooking Vinyl).

A diverse two-CD set, it shows that while he's been recording under the radar, his work is as vital and compelling as
ever. The songs are melodic, yet they have guts. The only disappointment is there's nothing from the stellar
"Honeycomb." The second disc is a hot live set, which finds Black truly in his element on the stage.

ULTIMATE GUITAR.

Frank Black Releases Best Of Comp

artist: frank black date: 07/02/2007 category: press releases

Black's work covering the Pixies' frontman's nine solo albums recorded during that time
period, will be released in the U.S. on June 27 through Cooking Vinyl.

The two-disc set will include a bonus CD of live tracks recorded during Black's Fall 2006
North American tour, as well as a brand new Black Francis track, Threshold
Apprehension
, which is taken from his forthcoming Bluefinger album, due for release in
September. According to Black, "There is totally a narrative arc to my solo career.

"It sounds trite, but in basic language this
is what's happening on these songs: it's
me breaking away from the Pixies and
finding myself as a solo artist, finding a
band again and forging that together, then
losing it and my marriage, and finally
getting my obsession with two-track
recording out of my system. It's a total
arc.

"As compilations go, it has less in common
with The Best of Blondie, The Beatles
1962-66, The Beach Boys' 20 Golden
Greats, and Rolled Gold than it does the
best of The Residents. I felt a little
sheepish when my manager suggested a
Best Of: I'm not exactly known for my hit records. But then, I didn't get into this to
have hits. I did it to be a maverick, to be underground, to be part of that world as
opposed to the Top 40 world. I wanted to be an artist and a musician, not to get invited
to parties. It's about being true to yourself.

"But I've got a big back catalogue, and so for the uninitiated, Frank Black 93-03 is a
good place to start. It just sounds like a regular Frank Black album because all my
records are schizophrenic in tenor - fast song, slow song, country song, punky song.
Although it's boring to say, 'I think it's very representative of who I am as an artist', it
really is!"

The live tracks on the Frank Black 93-03 bonus discs were recorded October 27, 2006 at
Mr. Small's in Pittsburgh, PA, and at the Distrikt in Regina, SK on November 6, 2006.
Along with Black on guitars, featured players include guitarist Duane Jarvis, bassist Eric
Drew Feldman, and drummer Billy Block.

But wait, there's more. Using his early-Pixies-days nom de rock Black Francis, this
September will see the release of a brand new album, Bluefinger, which was inspired by
Dutch painter Herman Brood. That album's first single, "Threshold Apprehension," will be
available not only on Frank Black 93-03, but as a digital download, which is available
now! More details on Bluefinger to be announced shortly.

Edited by - Carl on 07/02/2007 17:17:39
Go to Top of Page

madtempest
- FB Fan -

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:33:09  Show Profile  Visit madtempest's Homepage  Click to see madtempest's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank Black 93-03 CD REVIEWS
Press began to receive the album just last week, so there is lots of follow up occurring to secure reviews. Please note that the list below is in no way the entirety of CD reviews that have or will run.

• 1340mag.com (ezine) – CD review to run in late July
• ACED (Florida regional/arts) – CD review confirmed.
• Amplifier Magazine – CD review set
• Anti-Music (e-zine) – CD review first week in July
• Baton Rouge Advocate (city’s daily paper) – CD review, June 29.
• Big Takeover (2X yearly music zine) – considering CD review
• Birmingham News (Alabama daily) – CD “Pick” confirmed
• BlogCritics – CD review set.
• Boston Herald – CD review confirmed
• Boulder Daily Camera (area daily) – CD review probable
• Cape Cod Times (area’s daily paper) – CD review confirmed
• Charlotte Observer (N.C. major daily) – CD review looks good for June 24
• Cashbox Magazine (industry ezine)
• CityView (Des Moines alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed
• Cleveland Free Times (alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed for the week of June 27
• CNET – review and song download
• Creative Loafing Atlanta – CD review looks good.
• Dallas Morning News – CD review probable.
• Earvolution (e-zine) - CD review confirmed
• El Paso Scene (arts regional)
• Entertainment Weekly – positive “90-03” CD review ran in the June 15 issue
• Ft. Worth Star-Telegram (city’s major daily) – CD review confirmed to run the week of July 2
• GC Magazine (Dallas-based ent. Mag) – CD review confirmed
• Glens Falls Post Star (Albany, NY-area daily) – CD review set
• Ground Control (e-zine) – ran news story on 93-03, will probably review CD
• Houston Chronicle – CD review confirmed
• Hustler – will be included in the magazine’s holiday issue “Best of the Best ofs” round up
• Idaho Statesman (Boise daily) – CD review to run July 3
• Illinois Entertainer (Chicago alt/monthly) – CD review confirmed
• Interboro Rock Tribune (irtmag.com) – CD review confirmed
• iTunes – Rob O’Connor assigned to review
• Lansing Community Newspapers – CD review confirmed in Summer Albums feature
• Last World Features (syndicated) – CD review expected by mid-July
• Life in a Bungalo Digest (ezine)
• LiveDaily.com – doesn’t review “best ofs” (but will review Bluefinger)
• Los Angeles Times – don’t review comps or “best ofs” (but will review Bluefinger)
• Looserecord.com (e-zine)
• Lowell Sun (Boston suburb) – CD review confirmed.
• Marquee Magazine (Denver arts/ent mag) – CD review in August issue possible
• Maximum Ink – included CD in July column, too late for full review.
• Mercury (Philly suburb daily) – CD review confirmed
• Metroland (Albany, NY alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed
• Miami New Times (alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed
• Milwaukee Scene (area entertainment mag) - CD review confirmed
• Montclair Times (N.J. daily) – CD review confirmed
• MTV News Online – album was written up in the New Releases column on June 26.
• Music-reviewer.com – CD review set
• New York Post – Dan Aquilante may review for Sunday, June 24 or July 1
• Noise Pollution (online music column at collider.com)
• NONzine (Oklahoma arts/bi-weekly)
• Northwest Herald (Chicago suburban daily)
• Nuvo (Indianapolis alt/weekly – CD review confirmed
• Oklahoma Gazette (alt/weeky)
• Outsite (college radio) – playing tracks from the album
• Pitchfork Media – CD review ran June 19
• Pittsburgh Daily News
• Plan 9 Online – CD review looks good
• Portland Oregonian (major daily) – CD review ran mid-June
• Positively Yeah Yeah Yeah (syndicated music column) – CD review in June 25 column
• Prefix Magazine (e-zine) – CD review set
• Pulse of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed
• Real Detroit Weekly (alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed for week of June 25
• Reno Gazette-Journal – CD review in June 29 issue.
• Rock ‘n’ Roll Experience – CD review confirmed to run week of June 25.
• Salt Lake City Deseret News (major daily)
• San Antonio Current (alt/weekly) – CD review confirmed in June 20 issue.
• San Diego CityBeat – CD review looks good
• Santa Barbara Independent (alt/weekly) CD review will run the week of June 25
• Style Weekly (Richmond, VA alt/weekly) – CD review will run the week of June 27 or July 4
• Synthesis Weekly (Central California alt/weekly)
• Toledo Blade (city’s daily) – CD review looks good
• Under The Radar (tres cool music mag) – CD review included in the summer issue
• USA Today – doesn’t review “best ofs,” but Music Editor Ken Barnes wrote about it in his “First Impressions” column on the paper’s “Listen Up” blog
• Zero Magazine (Bay Area alt/monthly) – CD review in August issue

• • •

• 1340mag.com (ezine) – CD review review will run at release date.

• Blender Online - very interested in running a major package based on exclusive footage that Charles will shoot while in Europe, kind of a “summer vacation” theme. This will also include an exclusive stream of “Threshold Apprehension.”

• CMJ New Music Monthly – Front of book feature confirmed for the August/September double issue; will do interview with Charles returns from Europe.

• Goldmine – Feature and CD review confirmed to run in the September 14 or 28 issue. Interview would take place when Charles returns from Europe.

• GQ – considering for review in the September issue

• Harp – CD review confirmed for the November issue.

• Hustler – would like to do a sit-down interview for a major, career overview

• LiveDaily.com – CD review confirmed to run at release date.

• Magnet – talking with the editors about a major feature possible cover story to run in conjunction with the Bluefinger release and fall tour

• Performing Songwriter – CD review confirmed, Eric Danton will write, advance sent.

• Sound and Music Retailer (print/online trade pub/ www.msretailer.com) – wants to do an interview with Charles for a feature that would focus on his experiences shopping for musical instruments, what’s in his rig. I’m very borderline on this, but if Charles wants to do it, then I’ll make it happen.

• SPIN – discussing The SPIN Interview or some other coverage for September or October issue

• Static Multimedia (e-zine) – CD review confirmed to run at release date.

• STUFF – Q&A confirmed for the issue that streets September 18. Telephone interview successfully completed June 19.

• Under the Radar (cool alt nat’l music mag) – Bluefinger will be reviewed in the magazine’s summer issue.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  12:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blogcritics.org.

Music Review - Frank Black - Frank Black
93-03

Written by Peter Chakerian
Published July 05, 2007

Diehard fans went into mourning in 1993,
when Pixies frontman Black Francis
(a.k.a. Charles Thompson) pulled the
plug on the influential Beantown alt-rock
band. I remember interviewing a very
Frank (natch) Black a few years after
the breakup, when he was doing press
for his album, The Cult of Ray. He all but
dismissed a Pixies reunion before he hung
up on me – saying there was “no new
ground to cover” and the band had
“done all that it was intended to.”

Two messages for Mr. Black over a
decade later: One, never say never. And
two, thanks for the reunion. Seriously, it
felt like college all over again.

Ego clashes and an opening slot on U2’s Zoo TV Tour were to blame when the Pixies’
disbanded; the reinvented bandleader quickly released his first solo album with a semi-
inverted moniker and spent the next decade churning out quirky edgy alt-pop on his
own. Nine albums in ten years, to be precise. To wit, reviewing a “greatest hits”
package of Black’s work is as strange as using those words in the same sentence as
his ever-changing name.

Though not as troublesome as the last Pixies compilation, Wave of Mutilation, one has
to wonder how the essentials are picked, when it all seems to be, well, essential?

See, Black’s never one who cared for or about hit records. And from the sounds of
Frank Black 93-03, that will seemingly never change. This two-disc compilation
supports that attitude – highlighting his 10-year solo career, as well songs from the
many records he fashioned with his hand-picked backing band, The Catholics. Also
included also is a hidden track called “Threshold Apprehension” from his upcoming solo
album Bluefinger. In the end, this sounds about as correct as any Black compilation
could. But the odds are his most devout fans will dissect the selections and running
order like Trekkies analyze Kirk, Spock and McCoy for many years to come.

Black’s early work recalls the Pixies Trompe Le Monde, offering the insight that he
never really stopped being Pixie-like, he just got tired of working with Kim Deal, Dave
Lovering, and Joey Santiago for a while. And yet, there is enough diversity in this
compilation to engage an introductory listener and leave longtime fans of his band
wondering, “what if?”

Cuts like the edgy, metallic “Los Angeles,” the Stooges-like “Ten Percenter” and
dreamy-pop precision of “Headache” show Black at his best. Other lesser-known gems
like “Robert Onion,” “I Want to Live on an Abstract Plain” (from the sublime Teenager
of the Year
) and “I Gotta Move” from the first Catholics album shows a mindful leaning
toward more odd time signatures and garage punk. And “Western Star” from his album
Pistolero? Well, it’s like icing on this alt-rock cake to this reviewer.

Make that a two-story cake: Black offers a second disc of live material with this
release, offering minor set alterations to each depending which version you buy. In the
end, this portion of the compilation proves that there’s plenty of new ground to cover
and that Black hasn’t done all he’s intended to yet... with or without the other three
Pixies, this iconoclast has a noise in his head that will always keep you guessing.

So what’s next? Beyond ten more years, it’s anyone’s guess.

Email thisSubscribe to this feed

Peter Chakerian is the Managing Editor of CoolCleveland, a free, subscription-based
"e-blast" newsletter in Northeast Ohio. His work has appeared in The Plain Dealer,
Akron Beacon Journal, Northern Ohio Live, Scene Magazine , Cleveland Magazine, Sun
Newspapers
, and the Cleveland Free Times, among others. His
blog has nothing to
do with the Cavedogs.

StarTribune.

Frank Black, "93-03." A
chronological compilation of the
Pixies frontman's stellar, if
inconsistent, solo work. You'll find
only the stellar here -- plus a
bonus disc of recent live cuts.

Dallas Morning News (scroll down).

Frank Black

Frank Black '93-'03

(Cooking Vinyl, 2007)

Frank Black is a smart man. So is Black Francis, Frank Black Francis and Charles Thompson IV.
Yes, all are the same guy: the prolific former Pixies frontman whose solo career has been one of
American music's most popularly undervalued. This anthology of his solo work between the Pixies'
early-1993 breakup and its celebrated 2004 reunion only decently captures the gymnastic
breadth of his odd-metered alt-rock vision. It's too light on more recent samples (nine of its 22
tracks come from his first two discs; he put out nine) and almost totally sloughs off his more
speculative stuff in favor of guitar-based sure things such as "Ten Percenter," "You Ain't Me" and
"Hermaphroditos." But those traits also make Frank Black 93-03 a relatively cohesive listen that's
still fascinating enough to enjoy repeatedly.

Mike Daniel

Edited by - Carl on 07/08/2007 13:36:38
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  23:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, i have always known we were trekkies, but never really been able to make that connection. it has alway been more of a deadhead thing, but the trekkie reference kind of makes a little more sense. although, unfortunately, i think we might be not too far away from that kind of exposure; and by that i mean the deadhead kind. hopefully i am wrong, but i have never felt that bffbbf was near to being a bomb before.

i must say i liked that review, though.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  23:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Music Box Magazine.

Frank Black
93–03

(Cooking Vinyl)

First Appeared in The Music Box, July 2007, Volume 14, #7

Written by John Metzger,

Over the course of his career, Frank Black has chosen art over commerce. Yet, the events of recent years seem to indicate
that his perspective has changed. For a long time, he unwaveringly met inquiries regarding the reunion of his former group
the Pixies with the pat answer, "When pigs fly." Yet, more than a decade later, the iconic alt-rock outfit once again took to
the road. Now, however, comes a move that, in the past, one never would have expected Black to make: He’s put together
a career retrospective that mimics the frustrating repackaging scheme that frequently is employed by the Top 40 artists
that Black typically has railed against. Not only does 93–03 contain one new track — the manic Threshold Apprehension,
which is meant to preview his forthcoming endeavor Bluefinger — but it also boasts a nine-song bonus disc of previously
unreleased live material. All of the extras, of course, have been added primarily to tempt his diehard followers into
purchasing the collection. Even worse, the concert cuts vary among the North American, European, and Japanese editions
of the effort. What’s a Pixies fan to do?

The core of 93-03 is not geared in any way toward Black’s established base of fans. Nevertheless, the debate likely will
rage forever over which songs ought to have been featured instead. As a primer on his solo career, however, the set truly
is hard to beat. Presented chronologically, its components appear to have been selected in a manner that balances
Black’s must-have material with tracks that were included primarily to move the listener from point A to point B. The most
common criticism that has been leveled at Black since he disbanded the Pixies is that he can’t differentiate his good
songs from his bad ones, but 93–03 smooths out his eccentricities to present the sort of cohesive vision that likely will
surprise his more fair-weather followers.

Black has spent the bulk of his solo career leaving his work with the Pixies behind; and as 93–03 progresses, it’s easy to
see how he gradually gravitated toward a more roots-oriented, classic rock sound. The dynamic shifts that were the bread
and butter of his former band are present, primarily in the material that was culled from his self-titled, solo debut, but rather
than delivering his vocals with a full-throated roar, he adopted a style that was similar to
Lou Reed’s scrappy, street-smart
snarl. On the other hand, his work with The Catholics exuded the ragged fervor of a bar band. He crossed
The Clash with
Neil Young on Bad Harmony and dispensed Western Star with a Stones-y swagger. In between, there are a few other
intriguing twists and turns, such as Calistan, which recasts
Mark Knopfler as a punk rocker, and the Luna-esque Speedy
Marie
. The flow of 93–03 is completely natural, and there isn’t a weak spot on the primary portion of the endeavor.

However, culled from Black’s 2006 tour of Europe, the live cuts featured on 93–03 are more problematic, at least on the
North American installment of the set. Not only do the performances lack pizzazz and punch, but Black’s approach also is
so similar from one tune to the next that the songs fuse together until they become an indistinct blur of sludgy, Neil Young-
ian rock. Consequently, the bonus disc isn’t terribly satisfying, especially when its contents are compared with how well the
studio selections fare.

93–03 is available from Amazon.com.
To order,
Click Here!

For Canadian orders, please
Click Here!

For UK orders, please
Click Here!

Ratings

1 Star: Pitiful
2 Stars: Listenable
3 Stars: Respectable
4 Stars: Excellent
5 Stars: Can't Live Without It!!

Copyright © 2007 The Music Box

MTV.com.

Frank Black just put out his 93-03 retrospective release and has a new
album due September 11 from his Black Francis alter ego, but he's not through yet
— the Pixies frontman also recently recorded covers of Tom Waits; Roxy Music;
and the Good, the Bad & the Queen songs for an exclusive live iTunes EP. The five-
song session, which also features the Black originals "Massif Central" and
"Manitoba," is available now. ...

eil.com.

'Bluefinger' showcases a Herman Brood cover, 'You Can't
Break a Heart and Have It,' and ten Black Francis originals including 'Threshold Apprehension,' which is a bonus
track on Frank Black's 1993-2003 'best of' album, which was released on Monday 18th June.

Edited by - Carl on 08/24/2007 13:27:30
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  12:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not Mark Knopfler, Chris Rea!

Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: