New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2445 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason kindly agreed to an interview, for the university paper that I run. Sadly, I had to cut some of the discussion, such as the Guards of Metropolis history, and his friendship with Larry Norman; both of which were fascinating, but I thought might go over the heads of many of our readers.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy.

======================================================

"Everywhere we go, we've been overshadowed by bands who've had a lot more success. But you know who gets all the respect?", says Jason Carter, with a knowing grin .The answer in evitable. "Frank Black. He gets the respect. He's the guy that all the big guys are nervous to walk up and talk to".

I'm drinking coffee with Frank Black's drummer, on a Sunday afternoon, prior to the band's last date of its European tour. There's much to talk about; the new band, a stripped down power trio with Black eschewing guitar for the first time, is a fine starting point. "I was a jazz guy my whole life. But the one thing rock has is the heart and soul, I've done my share of jazz, which was really inspiring, but now, I'm having a blast. Carter is joined on the tour by his Guards of Metropolis bandmate, Charles Normal, and on bass, Ding Archer. Together, the band have been delivering blistering sets across Europe, picking material largely from Black's recent best of compilation, '93-03'.

Black's forthcoming record, 'Bluefinger', will be released in September. Perhaps surprisingly, after an extraordinarily prolific solo career, the artist known to his friends as Charles Thompson releasing the album under his Pixies moniker of 'Black Francis'. It's intended, in part, as a homage to the late Dutch musician and artist Herman Brood, whose life of debauchery, coupled with remarkable creativity, is echoed in many of the lyrics. Jason reveals much about the record's inception. "When I got the phonecall to play, I was expecting to only play three or four songs, some demos". Charles had some ideas; he got together with the producer, Mark Lemhouse, a week before, and had some guitar lines, a few little bits of lyrics here and there. In the studio, it was awesome! Myself, and the bass player, Dan, we all sat together, and Charles was like, ok, here's track number one! Untitled! I don't have the lyrics right yet! And this is how it goes!

The album makes a further departure from what fans have come to expect, by leaving the songs free of lead guitar, elevating Black's forceful rhythm guitar instead. Jason elaborates further. "We didn't need to do more than three takes on any track. It's a very cool process, especially as his songs weren't easy. We tracked the record in three days, then Charles did some overdubs. I think that if all the lyrics had been done, he'd have recorded them live as well. Charles seems to have a sense of phrasing in his head that is uniquely his. Sometimes he had an idea for melody in his mind, which set up the structure, and progression of chords. His mind is definitely interesting, both musically and non musically. A very intelligent guy! Essentially, he's not trying to be anyone in particular, and his persona has been created by his art."

The result of the Bluefinger session is a fine collection of eleven songs, over half of which have been played regularly on the tour. " Threshold Apprehension", the first single, "was going to be the one song that I felt deserved a more produced element", Jason reveals. It's a fine tune; named after a Brood painting, and is one of several songs on the record to feature backing vocals from Black's wife, Violet Clark. Some music fans might cry nepotism, but in this instance, would sorely mistaken. Jason would be the first to shout them down. "Violet rocks! She is the real deal!", he laughs. "She's a capable rock and roller on her own, and she brought a very cool element to the record. The background vocals for 'She Took All the Money' were recorded at the breakfast table, while the kids were eating! They synched right up to the song, too. She sang at the first show, and has been to a few since, but she's expecting another baby, and didn't feel up to performing. But we don't sound as good as she does on the backing vocals!

In fact, Black and his wife are working on an exclusive project of their own, under the name 'Grand Duchy'. One track from the project, entitled ' Fort Wayne', was deliberately leaked to the fan community several months ago, and was very warmly received. "I've had the pleasure of helping on the record… they've been recording at my studio", Jason reveals. "I love it. Grand Duchy is fresh, and it's going to appeal to Pixies fans, and completely new, younger audiences. I've watched Violet write entire songs in the studio, both she and Charles contribute a lot to the record. They could get the kids involved, and do the Osmonds thing, without the Mormon element!

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  16:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"She Took All the Money" was recorded at the breakfast table. Are Frank and Violet not the coolest rockers in history?

Thanks for this, Ziggy. Nice job.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2445 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  16:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Larry Norman anecdotes were particularly touching. Jason told me that at the time, he was running a studio with a friend, whose wife worked in a care home that Norman's father was residing in. Larry expressed an interest in recording some songs nearby, and so on. Jason talked how Larry 'is like a big brother' to him, and how he and many others wished Larry felt up to recording more often, but it wasn't really fair to push him.

The Guards of Metropolis record is being released soon, I believe, on the band's own label.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  17:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Zig, thanks.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  19:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ziggy... the article rocks. I especally love the quote at the end ... it cracks me up.

Any chance we can get some of the "out takes" that didn't make it into the article? Thanks again.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

yingguoguizi
- FB Fan -

China
62 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  01:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A cool interview. Would also like to read some of the "out takes"- can't wait for the Grand Duchy album.
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  01:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice interview, Ziggy! Thanks.

Glad to hear there's an actual Grand Duchy record on the way...

"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2445 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  01:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The iTunes session, currently being mixed in LA, should be cool. As previously reported by Blackolero, there's a new song "that Charles finished while we were all having lunch."

I think the provisional title is something like 'Kookamai'. That, however, is tenuous at best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000