Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  17:44:08  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just found a couple mp3's that i've had on my 'puter for a while which say they're from a Pistolero demo tape.
i have no idea where or when i got them from, probably soulseek many years ago, but does anyone know anymore about this supposed demo tape...
the two songs i've got are billy radcliffe and living on soul(?)

i'd love to hear the entire tape if it actually exists in any complete form...

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:35:51  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well Living On Soul was a b-side off of the first Catholics album, so that doesn't seem to make much sense, but demos of all the songs would rock quite a bit. I hope this mystery is solved.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have those.. i think i have a humbolt county massacre one too.. unless they're different ones

i can post them when i have a chance.

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a demo of "I Want Rock & Roll". I think I found it on Soulseek, as well.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:04:53  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

Well Living On Soul was a b-side off of the first Catholics album, so that doesn't seem to make much sense

indeed, hence the question mark...

but floop, if you've got the full set, please upload 'em somewhere..i'd love to hear the rest.

the quality of the living on soul "demo" isn't good enuf to tell whether it's exactly the same as the version released...
but the demo is 10 seconds longer, but that due to some tuning/talking at the beginning and end of the track.

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:34:16  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the whole first Catholics album technically a "demo"?

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm, i just looked at my itunes and i only see the billy radcliffe one (which says Pistolero demo). i can't even find the living on soul one. i think i hallucinated the Humboldt County Massacre one. or maybe not

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  23:17:52  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a Peel Session from 1999 which starts with Living On Soul and Billy Radcliffe, aren't you talking about that?

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  00:36:09  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i dunno denis.
you got a copy cause then we'd be able to figure it out...

Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  01:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

i dunno denis.
you got a copy cause then we'd be able to figure it out...

Is there a brit talking during the first 5 seconds of each song saying things like, "Frank Black and the Catholics" and "session"?

If so, it's probably the Peel Session.

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  01:21:13  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ah, nope.
frank plays a bit of a riff and says something like "wanna do that?"

anyways, here's the 'demo' of living on soul.
maybe someone can tell whether it's a demo or the normal version...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vcir5c

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  02:33:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there are some pistelero outtakes circulating on the net
I have some, bad quality mind you, vert interesting. We need all the outtakes of those songs
Bring on the Sister Isabelle boxset!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  02:48:59  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i agree that we need to collate all of the demo versions in their best versions...
i've got so many bits and pieces 'demos' which almost exclusively are bad multi-generation mp3's...

there must be better than these available

Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  04:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have That Whole Pistolero Demo. Those Are the only 2 different Versions of any of the pistolero songs. They are all the same, plus Valleyy of Hope As the last song. It's just not Mastered
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  05:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have some of the Pistolero demo tracks and someone was supposed to send me more, but I've forgotten who. I hope we can get a full copy for our archives. Some of the demos I've heard sounded quite different to be honest...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:23:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what about the different Trompe mixes?

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  07:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

ah, nope.
frank plays a bit of a riff and says something like "wanna do that?"

anyways, here's the 'demo' of living on soul.
maybe someone can tell whether it's a demo or the normal version...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vcir5c

all i can say, it is not the peel session (although it is pretty close)

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  11:17:03  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bohemoth

I Have That Whole Pistolero Demo. Those Are the only 2 different Versions of any of the pistolero songs. They are all the same, plus Valleyy of Hope As the last song. It's just not Mastered

any chance of sharing the complete demo tape bohemoth?

Go to Top of Page

josephmichael
- FB Fan -

27 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  22:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe I have a few of DITS demos (Bullet, Stupid Me, Swimmer, and If It Takes All Night) that I downloaded a long time back on my dad's PC. I'm not sure if those are common place though- I seem to recall a lot of copies floating about back in the day. Stupid Me and If It Takes All Night were especially good ones, me thinks.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  22:18:18  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the dits demos are from the european(?) re-release of the album...they included them as bonus tracks....

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
benji, are you thinking of the spinart re-issue? If so, that one contained acoustic demos of Robert Onion, Blast Off, If It Takes All Night, and Stupid Me - I've never heard demos of Bullet or The Swimmer, though I would very much like to.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we back to this again?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Would Post it If Knew How to Uload Stuff myself. But Honestly It's not that interesting Just the Same Pistolero versions of songs with Talking in Between tracks, And unmastered. The Only Different Versions Are, Billy Radcliffe And Living on Soul
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bohemoth

I Would Post it If Knew How to Uload Stuff myself. But Honestly It's not that interesting Just the Same Pistolero versions of songs with Talking in Between tracks, And unmastered. The Only Different Versions Are, Billy Radcliffe And Living on Soul

Drop me a line by e-mail, Jake. I'd be glad to walk you through the process.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the Billy Radcliffe and Living on Soul, but I'd love to hear anything else, no matter if they're only the slightest bit different to what was released. Anything like this is always much appreciated.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  15:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for "Living On Soul". That solo before "I'm drinking anti-knock" really messes w/ the time signature and my brain. Mikey likey.
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  00:18:03  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got the "I'll Be Blue" from Pistolero session/demo. At least that's what I think it's from. The guitars have a real Pistolero sound, if that makes any sense.

--
Got coffee, got donuts, got wasted...
Go to Top of Page

pixieslive.com
- FB Fan -

78 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  04:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

what about the different Trompe mixes?

Ah, the holy grail of Pixies traders everywhere - dream on.

http://pixieslive.com
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it's the mix specifically referenced above, but I've got AN alternate mix of Trompe on a disc somewhere in my basement. Is it really so rare that it could be called the holy grail? Can't remember where exactly I got it, but the reason it's sitting down there is because it sounds like shit. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll go dig it up, but in my opinion you're really not missing out on anything special.

Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here 'Tis
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p86ls9

PISTOLERO DEMO
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  13:46:46  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks alot jake!!!!

and crispy, please bring 'em out...would love to hear these....

Edited by - benji on 03/30/2007 13:47:46
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  15:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, thanks a lot, good stuff! Even though not really different it's definitely interesting (to me at least) to hear the tiny bits of talking between songs.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  16:39:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Water

I don't know if it's the mix specifically referenced above, but I've got AN alternate mix of Trompe on a disc somewhere in my basement. Is it really so rare that it could be called the holy grail? Can't remember where exactly I got it, but the reason it's sitting down there is because it sounds like shit. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll go dig it up, but in my opinion you're really not missing out on anything special.

it's really the holy grail. Some guy had a few weird mixes of Trompe songs including Brackish Boy by the Pixies. I heard a 30 sec. clip on one of the first Frank Black websites I ever visited. It's been widely discussed on this site too, in the begining.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  17:06:45  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember that page too, and as I recall the fellow was kind of shamed out of this community for some muddy reason. Maybe what I've got isn't the special something everyone is after, because I don't have the fully recorded Brackish Boy. This is just a watery sounding mix of the Trompe album. Give me a day or two and it will be posted.

I'm also excited to hear the Pistolero demo when I get home, thanks for sharing Bohemoth!

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  17:11:52  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does anyone else have any full album demos or alternate mixes of any other frank material floating round?
cause we've uncovered a couple of goodans here in a few days....would be awesome if someone had some others gathering dust somewhere...
and lossless version would be brilliant too....

but thanks alot bohemoth and crispy....weehee!

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  17:16:42  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i vaguely remember someone on this forum producing their own alternate mix of trompe le monde because they weren't impressed with the album version...this is going back a fair few years...might the one's you've got be those cripsy?

or maybe i just dreamed that....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000