Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm not a fan of people rubbing it in people's faces that they have the album etc.. but that said, if there are people who think it would spoil it to hear about it, maybe not read the "Bluefinger" thread.

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:02:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's why I didn't read the FM/RM and the Christmass thread from the moment
people had those discs and I didn't
we're all too much of a fan to keep our mouth shut entirely
everytime someone posts a little info another person wants to react
that's the way it works

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

how is it that frank's last three albums were all leaked? Does this happen to other artists?

I have a theory that Frank wants it to be so, that's a way to hurry the record company, so the songs are still fresh for him when the record arrives. I'm sure he would like to make the record like the DAY AFTER he records the song! At least that's the impression he gives.
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is NO LEAD GUITAR on this album! That's gotta be a first.

Pretty cool, really.
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this album blows me away. it takes me back to the days of Trompe Le Monde and several albums later. yet i believe this isn't pixies-worthy. in other words, i'm sure glad it ain't a pixies album.

you know how that modest mouse ripped off the pixies' vocals at times... it seems like frank was inspired by his own copy-cats to scream and go all crazy-like. show 'em who's yo daddy, frank.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

There is NO LEAD GUITAR on this album! That's gotta be a first.

Pretty cool, really.

Reaction: this is really nice. No guitar hero involved. Just the humbucker telecaster sound and the rought trashy-buddyhollylike playing of mr Black. He's really good for playing a rythm guitar in an almost arythmic way (it sounds sorta backwards sometimes!) so you dont get the riffs structures at the first listen. I remember having been listening to Debaser like 50 times just to understand what EXATLY was playing the rythm guitar.

EDIT: To be absolutely clear "trashy buddyhollylike playing" is here to express how much I love that guitar sound. If I could use Buddy Holly as an insult I would be a real jerk.

Edited by - Grotesque on 03/26/2007 15:47:51
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:53:08  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
i'm sure glad it ain't a pixies album.

but why would we need a pixies album when frank can release jems such as this by himself.
leave the legacy alone for gods sake....

i like this album more and more with every listen.
i absolutely loved the new songs on christmass, and thought they were some of the best things he'd done since dits, but this has surpassed those tunes....not my much, but some pure genius here...

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk

this album blows me away. it takes me back to the days of Trompe Le Monde and several albums later.

I agree, it had the same time machine effect on me.
Actually, I used to think that part of Frank Black was dead.
He kinda resurected it for Bluefinger.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2407 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, all people have to do is ask, and they get.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1052 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Bluefinger", or at least the version of it I heard is an album by an
artist currently known as Frank Black and Black Francis.

Some came in the dusk while others were working from the morning and they all got a new Frank Black album.

Who are they to deserve it?

I drop a tear and bow to the fountain man.

++++
Go to Top of Page

leducviolet
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:33:20  Show Profile  Visit leducviolet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's always had it in him I think; it was dormant during the last couple snoozers. I loved Devil's Workshop and yawned my way through Black Letter Days. I hated Show Me Your Tears and ignored Fast Man Raider Man and Honeycomb. But Bluefinger blows me away. I will buy the album when it comes out; I will see him live; I will buy a t-shirt. He's the man. He always has been. Sometimes his priorities just don't mesh with mine. I think TotY is the greatest album ever. No songwriter that talented ever loses it completely— Frank seems to be able to tap into the old magic when he wants; thank God— meaning Frank.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceManCometh

quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

how is it that frank's last three albums were all leaked? Does this happen to other artists?

I think it happens to just about every anticipated record these days. Recent, hyped-up releases such as Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, LCD Soundsystem were available months---even as much as a half year---before their official release. Arcade Fire's Neon Bible was out there since December, I believe, and having just been released a few weeks ago shot to number two on Billboard. This seriously brings into question whether or not there's any correlation between file sharing and diminishing record sales.

Of course, this isn't the time or place for such a debate, I figure.

This is a very good point, perhaps one that merits its own thread. I got Neon Bible quite a while before it was released and have since bought several official copies as presents. With it's Frank's music, I buy multiple copies of each of his new albums in my ongoing (and sometimes successful) quest to turn on to Frank as many people as possible. So having a leaked copy doesn't translate into ripping off an artist.

I got some heaven in my head
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's not ripping off the artist if you buy the record after it's officially released.

I know I would.

Edited by - rodney on 03/26/2007 16:40:46
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  17:16:09  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's also not ripping off the artist if you buy the record, go to the shows, play the cd to death for your unwitting co-workers, lurk on a fan-supported internet site during your free hours and dream about pink unicorns. But really, what do unicorns have to do with anything?

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  21:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*spoiler alert*

I love how he sings threshold repedeatly that parts awsome and you cant bring a heart and have it rocks

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree there should be a "spoiler" thread or something. Because it's a major major thing and needs to be talked about. It's pretty hard to hold back and wait till June. Between this and Fort Wayne, there's definitely a new era of creativeness beginning and it's very exciting.

** spoiler **

No song sucks. There are varying degrees of complete awesomeness. I'll say no more.

========
jeffamerica
========

-He played piano really fuckin' good.
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is June07 the release date for the album or what?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:23:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I heard something about that, but with the best of Frank comming out this summer and I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7434 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:32:15  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frog talked about September '07, but you know what they say about trusting a French...

(I sure hope it'll be sooner than that)

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  07:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The album should be coming out "next Autumn", Yann's source seems reliable enough :)

I certainly hope we'll be treated to a few Bluefinger songs at the upcoming shows.

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jediroller

The album should be coming out "next Autumn", Yann's source seems reliable enough :)

I certainly hope we'll be treated to a few Bluefinger songs at the upcoming shows.

Next autumn is a million years in Black's Calendar (the only calendar that goes at the speed of rock'n'roll).
But if we have to go to shows to listen to it, that's a fair deal.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  21:59:23  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Caved, and I went out looking for it. All I gotta say is that whoever said it would make a phenomenal pixies album is right. The space is for Joe, cuz Joe rocks, don't ya know? Kim made a poor decision, and not surprisingly. Poor everybody - except for Frank. Because as always, he is the man left standing with an amazing piece of rock and roll.

1c the pirate
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a bit early to say that ALL the bluefinger album was written for the pixies. I'd guess a part of it was (for the second song it's obvious, and maybe just the music). Frank could made a mix of songs written for the pixies he wanted to do anyway and some other chord progressions he had, and wrote all the lyrics about Brood at the end. I mean, that all "pixies demo gone bluefinger" was'nt confirmed by himself, is'nt it? The album vibe is very coherent, it fits to Herman's style with that punk'r'roll touch and it doesnt sound at all like a last minute colage.
To me it's much too rock'n'roll for the pixies. The pixies are just rock.

Edited by - Grotesque on 03/28/2007 08:13:36
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:30:02  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard the songs so I cannot comment on their musical style, but if the Herman Brood theory is correct (and it certainly seems VERY plausible) it sounds like exactly the kind of thing Frank would want a Pixies "reunion" album to be: angle just a bit of the hype machine away from them to shed light on a relatively obscure cult figure. Maybe some of the songs were written after the Pixies decided against it, but I would be far from surprised to learn that the concept album was planned for them.

Of course, knowing our man this might even be just a batch of songs recorded in a couple days with their release intended to distract us all from a clandestine Pixies session...nah

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:15:39  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

I think it's a bit early to say that ALL the bluefinger album was written for the pixies.

I totally agree. But I think a lot of them were written for Kim's approval, no doubt.

About this Herman Brood thing.. I haven't really paid attention to the lyrics or anything and just went to old wiki page to catch up on this theory. Found this interesting part:

"On 5 November 2006 the Groninger Museum (Museum of Groningen) opened an exposition devoted to Herman Brood's life and work, comprised of paintings, lyrics and poetry, portraits ..."

Seems like around the right time to look for lyrical inspiration once the guitar/melody demos have been turned down by a burnt out bassist. The timing seems right.

Rock and Roll is back with avengance.

1c
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I make a suggestion? We've got two Bluefinger threads going now, with the same lines of discussion going in both. We ought to stick to one or the other. I vote for the spoilers one, but without a lot of conviction.

EDIT: Woohoo, I got another bee! (I'm obsessed with bee count.)

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

Edited by - coastline on 03/28/2007 10:36:26
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were moderator, I would have simply put the "spoilers" tag on this thread.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too late for that now, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

I think it's a bit early to say that ALL the bluefinger album was written for the pixies. I'd guess a part of it was (for the second song it's obvious, and maybe just the music). Frank could made a mix of songs written for the pixies he wanted to do anyway and some other chord progressions he had, and wrote all the lyrics about Brood at the end. I mean, that all "pixies demo gone bluefinger" was'nt confirmed by himself, is'nt it? The album vibe is very coherent, it fits to Herman's style with that punk'r'roll touch and it doesnt sound at all like a last minute colage.
To me it's much too rock'n'roll for the pixies. The pixies are just rock.

I agree - clearly, he has written songs with the Pixies in mind (Gyanshewar, etc.) over the last year or so, and in the absence of any apparent unified thrust towards making a Pixies album, those songs are slipping out through other avenues. I assume the same thing is in effect hear.
Go to Top of Page

johnc
- FB Fan -

118 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gonna have to get me some of them bees!
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  09:20:30  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Can I make a suggestion? We've got two Bluefinger threads going now, with the same lines of discussion going in both. We ought to stick to one or the other. I vote for the spoilers one, but without a lot of conviction.

My fault.. Didn't realize there was another thread going on for those in the know. Bluefinger rocks!
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  16:10:33  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's on Soulseek.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  19:36:54  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't need any convincing that Frank's still the man. I've liked everything solo and Catholics. The Nashville records. Then I start reading all your comments on Bluefinger and think, yeah I can wait, but I coulkdn't. And I found it. And I love it! I think is Frank Black getting back to the heart of being Black Francis.

--
"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  19:27:51  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am sooooo excited!!! I finally have Bluefinger! I just had to share my excitement with someone who would understand. Mr. soon to be awestruck doesn't quite understand. But hey, nobody's perfect. Can't wait to hear it all.

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  12:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just listened to Bluefinger again after a six-month hiatus. I was unexpectedly blown away, once more. I think this is FB/Black Francis' greatest hour. Every track is just solid gold. It is very hard (impossible?) to rank BFB's album's - but this one has got to be up there. Very underrated imo.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000