Frank Black Making Noise
 RetroLowFi's review of Chrstmass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  20:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check it out:

http://retrolowfi.com/2007/01/12/frank-black-christmass-cooking-vinyl-2006/

In the evening I want my coffee, in the morning I want my dope... www.marcwithac.com

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  20:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This an interesting read. It's nice to see something about "Christmass" by someone besides the rabid fans on this site (myself included). I like how he puts "Show Me Your Tears" on such a pedestal, too.

EDIT: Just realized "he" is you. Nice review, Marc. Turns out this IS by one of the rabid fans on this site. Still, pretty objective. I appreciate that.

And aren't you havin' fun?

Edited by - coastline on 01/15/2007 13:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  15:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When he speacks about the high quality of the new songs on such a confidential realease, it reminds me that Frank has already a long list of potential classics unknown to regular audience (pray for the girls, jumping beans, constant sorrow man, show me you tears and many more).
I dont know if its meant to be like that or just that songwriters just dont know if a song is a gem or not. For example, XTC's Andy Partridge thought dear god was very weak before everybody in the studio told him it was an instant classic.
Another one: Black Francis forced by his girlfriend to finish Where is my mind!
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  15:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed reading that, a nice review. I like the Show Me Your Tears bit too.
quote:
Almost four years ago, Frank Black released an amazing record known as Show Me Your Tears with his backing group, The Catholics. It very well could have been the best record of 2003, and I would even go as far as to say it has the potential to be one of the ten best records of this entire deacade.

Wow.

"The arc of triumph"

Edited by - pixiestu on 01/13/2007 15:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  19:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the break-up, Frank really only went about five years without playing Pixies material. Not very long at all, I'd say.

That review is OK, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  22:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do believe that may be the first review ever that didn't mention Kurt Cobain or how his solo career has been a bust. Very refreshing!

I liked the review and agreed with just about all of it (SMYT isn't anywhere near my favorite FB+C's album).

I agree I could care less if he plays Pixies stuff with his solo bands. I remember when he started playing Pixies songs again, - it was on the 2000 tour, at least that's the first I heard one. So I think it was longer than 5 years. It was kind of exciting because it was like he was finally letting go and relaxing a bit, but the first Pixies song he played was Holiday Song, and I was like "cool, but eh. I'd rather hear new stuff or more Catholics songs."

So, I agree with the review. Who cares about the half-assed Pixies stuff. How many times do you need to hear Cactus? I think one Pixies song per set would be fine. I'd love to hear something different or something the Pixies didn't play live often, like Ana, or Havalina, those would be great solo acoustic.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  05:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three cheers for Havalina -- the song AND the animal ...

And aren't you havin' fun?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  08:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horray!! Horray!! Horray!!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

I remember when he started playing Pixies songs again, - it was on the 2000 tour, at least that's the first I heard one. So I think it was longer than 5 years.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  11:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't he play Wave of Mutilation at an acoustic show in CA, 1996? It might have been just a one off until he started playing them more regularly again? I'm not sure.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  12:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know he first played (again) a Pixies tune during the Cult of ray tour and apparently it was in London Forum July 1996 - Wave of Mutilation - the crowd went mad and smiled a lot - i was there.

++++
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  16:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The high praise for Show Me Your Tears is nice - but that's about it

I disagree with his speculation that Frank started the Pixies reunion because of reaction to the Gouge Away b-side on the Nadine single. I think that's unlikely - I mean who the heck ever heard of the Nadine single? Does anybody anywhere in the world buy a "single" any more? If a single is released somewhere in the world - does it make a sound?

He implies/speculates that Frank was just sick of not being able to "get arrested without the Pixies" and so this was the inspiration for the reunion. I have no way of knowing of course but all this speculation there about the motivations behind the reunion and how Frank "smiled in the right places" etc. etc. - it sounds like a bunch of bs to me. seems like he has quite a Pixies fixation of his own

And I also totally disagree with his assessment of Honeycomb - "smells of artistic defeat rolling off the performances".

I don't agree with his description of "Fastman Raiderman" as an "aimless song depository".

And I also don't think that Frank was half-assing his way through the Pixies songs in his solo acoustic shows. Sure - the youtube clip he put up there is not the greatest version of that tune ever seen - but overall the clips I've heard of "Wave" from that tour sounded VERY inspired - as evidenced by the version that is on the Christmass cd.

that's my two cents
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  16:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, exactly. It's not as he's attempted to reinvent it as a jazz song, or something.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  19:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wave of Mutilation" might be my favorite track on Christmass. And I say this as someone who always found the Pixies songs the most boring parts of Frank Black and the Catholics shows. This solo rearrangement though is great. Hopefully, the possibly-even-better solo rearrangement of "Mr. Grieves" turns up on a record someday.

As mentioned, there were one or two one-off "Wave of Mutilation" performances at Frank Black shows in 1996, but around mid to late 1998 "Wave of Mutilation" and "The Holiday Song" were played every night (or just about every night).
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  02:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

And I also don't think that Frank was half-assing his way through the Pixies songs in his solo acoustic shows.

Hmm, well maybe "half-assing" it is not the right way to describe it - I think he's putting his best effort in, for sure. But I remember the fear when the Pixies reunion was announced they they were just doing it for the cash and that the Pixies "vibe" would not be there. I was so relieved when they came out and rocked the house, screaming Tame like he wrote it yesterday.

To me, on some of the acoustic shows, he seems bored with the songs (especially Cactus), and hence, I'm bored by them. In fact, when he did a Pixes number, that was my chance to go to the bar and get a beer. No emotional impact - he's playing them well and being professional to "give us what we want" - that's what it feels like to me.

But this is kind of like complaining that your diamond shoes are too tight. It's a high class problem.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  02:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Hopefully, the possibly-even-better solo rearrangement of "Mr. Grieves" turns up on a record someday.

Did you ever hear the live version of Mr. Grieves where he chides the audience for trying to sing along too early? The "new, more mature" version? That was classic! I think it was hosted on FB.net for while.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  08:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give us hell, Frank.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  10:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

I do believe that may be the first review ever that didn't mention Kurt Cobain or how his solo career has been a bust. Very refreshing!

what is that with Kurt Cobain ?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  12:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice find, Marc. Haven't seen any other reviews of Christmass.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  13:07:29  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't Marc write it?
Go to Top of Page

Teafer
- FB Fan -

90 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  15:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GIVE US HELL, FRANK

"i'm not impressed. you wanna impress me? take the wheel, motherfucker."
Go to Top of Page

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  19:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FBC, I did write it, in fact. I was just letting people bat my opinions back and forth without interfering much.

For the record though, I like Pixies stuff almost as much as The Man's solo work, but SMYT pushed FB over the finish line in a landslide for me.

Of course, it's just a review by record geek. No one should take it all that seriously

In the evening I want my coffee, in the morning I want my dope... www.marcwithac.com

Edited by - Marc With A C on 01/16/2007 12:44:18
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  12:37:28  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just posted that you were the author because I found it funny folk were referring to a "he", when the "he" was here all along. Getting you some credit where credit's due. It's the first and only review I've read so far regarding Christmass. And you're a braver man than me for linking us to it. It now has a home in the fb articles database, t'ank ya very much. I hope you don't mind. Job well done, Marc.

Edited by - fbc on 01/22/2007 12:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  09:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, good sir!

Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  08:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i especially like the your comments about how if gouge was on smyt instead of doolittle it would be the weakest song.

fine review indeed

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  18:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Marsist

i especially like the your comments about how if gouge was on smyt instead of doolittle it would be the weakest song.

fine review indeed

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Thanks. I still stand by that statement, but then... I'm a total SMYT fanboy.

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  18:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
peuwsy gewt
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  12:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc With A C

No whispers when you listen to Jaina Blues ?
It kinda slow down the listening. Wouldnt that song need more concision ? It makes me the same effect that 1846 on Black Letter Days. A good riff but a song far too long.
Anyway, SMYT is my favourite Frank Black album too. TOTY is far less emotional, uh wait... it is emotional actualy, the kind of emotion you feel in a rollercoaster. SMYT is more real.
Go to Top of Page

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

quote:

No whispers when you listen to Jaina Blues ?
It kinda slow down the listening. Wouldnt that song need more concision ? It makes me the same effect that 1846 on Black Letter Days. A good riff but a song far too long.
Anyway, SMYT is my favourite Frank Black album too. TOTY is far less emotional, uh wait... it is emotional actualy, the kind of emotion you feel in a rollercoaster. SMYT is more real.

Nah, I love the repitition in Jaina Blues, personally. If I was forced at gunpoint to pick a low point on SMYT, I'd go for "Goodbye Lorraine". Not for any particular reason, it's just the tune I like a smidge less than the rest of the album.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah, I love the repitition in Jaina Blues, personally. If I was forced at gunpoint to pick a low point on SMYT, I'd go for "Goodbye Lorraine". Not for any particular reason, it's just the tune I like a smidge less than the rest of the album.

I love the bridge, at this point it turns into something else than just another country song.
You know :"(...) I cant explain this anymore"
Go to Top of Page

erotic_vulture
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  00:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t know why you’re attempting to psychoanalyze Frank Black’s intentions in a review of a record. It seems to me that Honeycomb was a lot more about Frank’s personal relationships (divorce, reconciliation, new love, death of his father, etc.) than some petty response to average critical reception to Show Me Your Tears or some complex involving the Pixies.

At the show I saw him at (Chicago, Metro) he played the Pixies songs with a lot of emotion. Of course he is probably a little tired of playing Wave of Mutilation and Monkey Gone to Heaven every show, but nearly every artist enjoys playing the new material best.

I don’t think Frank really gives a shit about whether critics think SMYT is a masterpiece or whether you think that Fastman Raiderman was “aimless.” He’s an artist who seems to go with the flow of what he finds intriguing at the time - as it should be. His influences are obviously broad and some don’t have the breadth of musical taste to enjoy it all. I have greatly appreciated all of his releases, especially his last six. The man is prolific, enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  00:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I'd said before, it's just a review by record geek. No one should take it all that seriously :)

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  00:29:45  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I LOVE Jaina Blues. I love when Frank rips off the Stones, and he does it so well on that song.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000