Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Luis Bunuel
- FB Fan -

76 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  00:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys have probably discussed this long ago, but I'm new, so humour me! What do you think of this album, I think it's definately one of Frank's best, probably my most listened to these days, mostly cause I've listened to most of his others so much that I know every note by heart.

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  02:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLD = catholics at their best, IMO.

SMYT is also a pretty top-notch catholics album, but BLD is just more fat and there are just more songs on it. i think that it is very tight, too. and enclosing all those songs between tom waits' "black rider" makes it even more tighter. black rider sets the scene for this album - intense, direct, dark, and a very grim sense of humour.

in a few years, when FB will get the credits for his solo/catholics stuff, like he gets now for the pixies, this album will be ranked pretty high. one must also not forget that it sounds so well recorded & played, and it was all recorded live-to-two-track. shows the amazing talent of the catholics...overall, BLD is the album that put frank closest to bob dylan, IMO. maybe because of these dark but still very warm impression.

the songs themselves - what can you say...valentine is so beautiful, end of miles is a classic, california bound is an epic. pacoima - maybe one of the best campfire songs ever, IMO. and so on and so on and so on...

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  03:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BLD is not my favorite FB record (it lacks concision in my opinion) but it's certainly one of the most underrated, and also one of the less discussed, by the way.

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  04:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is one of my favorites, probably because of the length. Great songs throughout. From CHOS, Chip Away Boy, EOM, to Jet Black River and 21 Reasons, really not a bad one in the bunch,... in my opinion. Of course with all fb it's all good.
Also, an incredible album to take a road trip with.

-Tom
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:33:02  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely my favourite Catholic record with DITS. Lots of great great songs. I don't think it is too long, even if some songs or some parts are less interesting than others. But it's very coherent. But what I prefer about that album is that it's a very "emotional" one. Lots of songs on it really give the shivers.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLD is my least favourite of Frank's albums but is still better than most other stuff I listen to.
I think it might finally be starting to grow on me but whereas some people like its length I find it sometimes puts me off. I seem to end up listening to it in patches, a couple of songs at a time.
I suppose that's not really a bad thing though. Some people like it as an album, I like it as a bunch of great individual tracks.

I Will Run After You and 21 Reasons are two of my favourite FB songs ever.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  09:56:02  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Eric Feldman's comments from a recent podcast sum up my feeling about this album. Amazing songs, but somehow the band just wasn't feeling them or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  14:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my favorite FB&TC's album, too.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  15:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my favourite album Frank has ever done. EVER. Seriously. I think it's the mood of the album, as well as the songs that do it for me. Did I mention the SONGS!!! Every last one of them is perfect. All 18 of them. It was my first Frank Black album, it's what first turned me on to his solo work, and I'm loving it now more than ever.

¡Viva los Católicos! http://www.myspace.com/shadoplay
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  18:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its my 2nd to least favorite Catholics album, but it still is great. Better than 90% of my music collection.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  19:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merely gazing at the cover brings happiness.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  20:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best FB roadtrip record. Probably my favorite Catholics record. I often skip the first and last track though. I like the Black Riders, but I'm usually not in the mood to hear them when I put that record on.

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  09:32:09  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is the record that at one time I loved, and had to play over and over again. However, unlike some gems like Cult of Ray, FB, Pistolero etc. I quickly tired of it and haven't played it in a year. Still dig 1826 though...
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  10:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic prompted me to play this disc last night, with the sort on "random". It had been a few months. I love Valentine & Garuda, How You Went So Far, End of Miles, Jet Black River, and 21 Reasons. Probably my favorite Catholics record.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  15:36:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love this record, it's for this kind of music
that I rank The Catholics higher than just plain Frank solo (pre- and post-catholics)

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

wwgt
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  22:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luis Bunuel

You guys have probably discussed this long ago, but I'm new, so humour me! What do you think of this album, I think it's definately one of Frank's best, probably my most listened to these days, mostly cause I've listened to most of his others so much that I know every note by heart.

As Alway's Frank has scored a stand up home run with BLD
my personal favorite is True Blue ....absolutley beautiful
the line from jett black river " I see the stacks of my home blow"
is very touching comment on that feeling when you are returning home from a roadtrip , one of my favorite lines....and something I have personally felt.
not to mention jane, and the double versions of black rider
un f'n believable ...... and california bound....Farewell bend
Frank is truly one of god's songwriting machines !!!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  00:17:10  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fave Catholics record, hands down. And probably the FB album I listen to most often.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  10:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my favorite one with the Catholics. I like the length. I love the songs. I love the acoustic sound!
Go to Top of Page

erotic_vulture
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  18:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my favorite frank black album. It never feels forced or contrived. I never have the inclination to skip a song. Pure genius.
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  22:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my favorite FB&tC album, too. I especially love End of Miles and 21 Reasons.
Go to Top of Page

liffey
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  01:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second only to Teenager of the Year, probably.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  06:50:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for me it's better than TOTY

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  07:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With some great songs, it still manages to fall at the bottom of my Frank barrel. I may have overplayed it...I had promos (of BLD and DW) months before they were released, and as much as I loved them, they very quickly lost what magic other Frank Black albums don't lose. But, there is no such thing as a bad Frank album. I just prefer his others to BLD. CHIP AWAY BOY and CALI BOUND are wonderful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  08:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rate it in the Catholics top three along with the first Catholics album and Dog in the Sand.

"Tomorrow you're homeless / Tonight it's a blast"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  09:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For Catholics records, it's definitely number two after DITS. I didn't know this was as loved as it is, I always felt it was underrated personally. Though there is some stiff competition, I've really been digging Devil's Workshop more than ever lately, and Show Me Your Tears is a great album, too. Tricky...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  10:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Devil's Workshop is a better album, but this has some great songs - "Cold Heart of Stone," "21 Reasons," "Jane, the Queen of Love," "I Will Run After You," and "Southbound Bevy" all are right up there w/ the best FB songs.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  16:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just another long Black Letter thread!!

Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  10:51:28  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I think Devil's Workshop is a better album, but this has some great songs - "Cold Heart of Stone," "21 Reasons," "Jane, the Queen of Love," "I Will Run After You," and "Southbound Bevy" all are right up there w/ the best FB songs.

me likes DW better, too. but probably I don't need to compare them. I am crazy, because I don't like 20-song records; just give me 2 at once and that's okay. so, for me, it would have been great if DW and BLD had a third sister release with it. like an album of all tom waits covers. oooo

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  10:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE
But, there is no such thing as a bad Frank album.

except for Honeycomb

at least that's what your mom said
Go to Top of Page

Philomath
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  02:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Philomath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BEST FRANK BLACK ALBUM EVER

BEST SONG EVER "BLACK LETTER DAY"

From childhood's hour I have not been as others were; I have not seen what others saw; and all I loved, I loved alone.
Go to Top of Page

junkmale
- FB Fan -

79 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLD is my favourite FB&tCs album. Inventive songwriting, original lyrics, all warpped up in that unique style. Love it.

And all that because sharks Twenty-five people kill every year. All that because sharks from time to time are made the teeth. All that I always knew it by reading the Telegram of Brest. All that I will always know it when I read the Telegram of Brest
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  19:41:13  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always really liked the lead guitar on "How You Went So Far" After reading this thread I'm tempted to put the thing on, but the CD is out in my car and it's cold. So next time I guess.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  01:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither the best nor the worst FB album. It's more folky then pretty much anything else he's done. I like that he has 1826, which is a really experimental. "How You Went So Far" is probably Frank's best blues song (and it's not really a blues song, I know), and I agree with WolfMan about the guitar. The first version of "The Black Rider" rocks, the second is sort of rendundant (would have made a great B-Side), I really like "California Bound", which has a great melody and cool lyrics, although it is the first appearence of the flaceto Frank Black which is somewhat of annoying. "21 Reasons" is arguably the best song on the CD, but not the best performance. I wish they would've cut it like they do in the live version, with full blown rock'n'roll energy. "Jane, the Queen of Love" and "True Blue" are my least favourite songs; Both are sort of interesting from an intellectual point of view, but not really good songs. "Cold Heart of Stone" is an on/off thing. "I will Run After You" could've been great, had the ending been rock-ier and more powerful. As it is, it sort of ends with a whimper. "Valentine and Garuda" has some great parts, but doesn't work as a whole for me. On the other hand, "Black Letter Day" is probably the best example of Catholic-era Piano driven Rock'n'Roll. It just sounds great; The lyric are typical latter day FB, but the music is interesting enough to make it one of the best songs.

Overall, BLD is a good album, not a great one. Like virtually every other FB release since DITS, it has the problem of the lack of selectivity - too many songs that should've been b-sides became album tracks.

Omer
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  05:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"How You Went So Far" sounds like it could easily be turned into a great torchy, cabaret song. It sort of already IS that, but I think it would also sound good without a "rock band". When I listen to it, I can hear someone like an Annie Ross or Shirley Horn singing it, with maybe a sparse piano and bass accompanying.

Edited by - Jason on 11/12/2006 05:09:29
Go to Top of Page

MarshalltheMarsist
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  08:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a favorite Frank album, but both my dad and I agree that BLD is One of The Best Rock and Roll Albums Ever, lol
Go to Top of Page

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  15:25:48  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although BLD isn't ever at the top of my Frank list, I'm quite surprised to hear some peoples negative reactions (not that I don't think we are all allowed to our own opinion). I think its quite a solid album with many good songs. In fact there isn't one song on the album that I think is bad or would skip. Oh right, and its long :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000