New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  07:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey

THis is my first post. And i love reading about what people think of the pixies songs. So i thought i would start with this one. What Do u think??

I perosonally love this song. I bought the surfer rosa cd here in australia and it comes with come on pilgrim as a bonus.

I didnt know that when i bought it so i thought it was one whole album.
But when caribou came on I just knew something was different from surfer rosa,
The opening guitar line is just a great imagery sound of waves and maybe longing of some kind.
I luv the chord structure of the chorus. I play alot of their songs on guitar and this one of my favourites becaue of the chord progression.

"If all you've seen, is violence!"

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  08:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Favourite Pixies song maybe. I almost wet myself when I heard the Catholics play it for the first time. Sigh.

Hail to the king, baby!
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  12:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CARIBOU was one of the first PIXIES songs I ever heard, and I still think it is their most mystical (along with SILVER, but for some reason, 90% of members here don't like SILVER).
My take on CARIBOU is about a human who has realized his reincarnation from beast to man...free of cognizant consciousness suddenly burdoned by conscience. Normally we idealize the freedom and awesomness of the possibility of becoming our favorite member of the animal kingdom if reincarnation is the avenue ahead. But never have we stopped to view the animal dreading the possibility of becoming human, because as an intelligent species we are too 'smart' to believe a non-human earthbound form may indeed possess a cosmic intellegence. The memories or feelings of the caribou are surfacing in the human character. This character later on resurfaces in THE SAD PUNK.
It's the same twist Frank Black takes on in ST. FRANCIS DAM DISASTER...the idea that the emotional spine comes not from the human victims suffering the horrible plight of a grand scale flood, but rather the anxiety ridden water itself searching desperatly for its mother ocean.
Anyhow, don't know if this helps...but this is what the song describes to me. Thats the wonder and beauty of Black Francis/Frank Black. His writing is so crafted in non-detail (but rooted in familiarity) that it allows for open interpretation. He allows us as listeners to join in with his creativity.

This post is one I wrote a LONG time ago, and I just searched for it and found it. haha. I remembered having posted this about 3 years ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  12:18:57  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At last, i'm finally a ten percenter

oh but my joy of today / is that we can all be proud to say / to be bald, gifted and black / is where it's at
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  15:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh...I'm digging 'Caribou'!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  16:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm diggin' for fire

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  17:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like it. it is good.

FAST_MAN RAIDER_MAN - June 19th

Edited by - PixieSteve on 10/04/2006 17:23:15
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  17:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the Thanksgiving 1991 Boston gig they opened with Caribou and right after they finished the song, Frank deadpanned "That's from our angry punk days" and it was the coolest fucking sentence I ever heard anybody utter.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  05:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it's one of my favourites too. I also like Silver though.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  17:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite song! here the word perfect just fits perfectly
Go to Top of Page

HereComesYourMac
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  05:44:47  Show Profile  Click to see HereComesYourMac's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its not one of my preffered pixies songs to be honest. The guitar intro is very mystial sounding and most of Joeys parts have this nice wavering, shimmery sound to them but it just never gets into top gear and starts kicking ass like most other of my favourite pixies songs.

Still, in my opinion, its lyricaly one of the better earlier pixies songs.

<[---(o)---]>
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  10:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

Yeah it's one of my favourites too. I also like Silver though.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place

The other day I actually was surprised to find myself liking it too. I think Mike Disanto's cover did it to me. Damn you, Mikes! Damn you all to hell!

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  19:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caribou will always have a special place, not least for its being debut side one track one. "This human form where I was born I now repent" - Shakespeare would've kept it in.

This topic ought to fold; Transmarine's answered it.

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  07:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

At the Thanksgiving 1991 Boston gig they opened with Caribou and right after they finished the song, Frank deadpanned "That's from our angry punk days" and it was the coolest fucking sentence I ever heard anybody utter.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine

At the Orpheum? They opened with Celia Ann.

EDIT: No I'm wrong. They opened with Cecila Ann on Thanksgiving 1990, the Bossanova tour. I was at the '91 show too. I don't recall them openeing with Caribou though. I actually don't have a recollection of ewhat they opened with at all. I just remebered the last 4 songs rocked. Bird Dream - Planet of Sound -Encore: Head On - UMass.

Edited by - mrgrieves1971 on 12/19/2006 07:11:01
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  12:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a picture of this sign the other day. There are a few of them around the area where I live. Of course, they make me think of 'Caribou' but I'm sure that was not the intention! Anyway, just thought I'd share!!
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  16:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lets me knife. Knife me lets.

Seeing it live puts the chills down your spine. My favorite Pixies song.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  02:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies Sell Out Tour DVD has the best live version I've heard (In the bonus section). Caribou, defintely in my top 5.

Edited by - trobrianders on 04/25/2007 02:24:11
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  06:10:06  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Caribou is sublime. The guitar in that song is amazing, as are the lyrics...

and Silver is great! :)
Go to Top of Page

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  17:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Caribou too.

I'd recommend the movie Grizzly Man (and the soundtrack) that has a similar theme, among others.
Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  23:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with this. Caribou is awesome. But seeing it live is an incredible experience.
Go to Top of Page

uriah hit the crapper
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This song is a classic, in some ways I can hear the influence it would have subsequently had on Radiohead.
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  19:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw them at Peony Park in 1991. I remember Charles screaming "Everybody slow dance!" in the frighteningly demonic/cherubic shout that he used to produce in those days. I left my date (who seemed totally disinterested) and gravitated to what was not yet officially called a mosh pit (more like a sweat pit). Everybody sort of pogoed instead. But the emotional intensity was high and pliantly weird, like we were watching the Log Lady from Twin Peaks play punk rock and affirming, affirming.

I think "Caribou" was the first, or one of the first, songs played at that show, in a ballroom with a maple floor and blood red curtains. I wanted to steal Kim Deal's beer bottle but I wasn't allowed by security. God I had a crush on her then. Her hair stuck out two feet on either side of her head and she looked stoned in a black dress and a happy/seductive/unnerving grin. I still have duct tape from a mic somewhere. First time I tried such a maneuver. First time I wanted to. I was 20.

I had to write poetry for a class that semester, and, among my e.e. cumming's inspired b** s***, I had scribbled a few Pixies lyrics.

My prof, who was apparently somewhat minorly ickily famous for writing a poem about his days as a football player (replete with painful, Freudian, "scoring" references, Jesu Christe) did not get the lyrics to "Caribou."

So, for the record, a certified Midwestern English prof wrote "What? ????" in reference to one of Charles' sacred lyrics.

Am I/we sad?

Oh, um. My take. The song is really primal. Caribou have been elemental to northern cultures. Cement is non-elemental. It is human, Roman, and therefore, less primal. The song is a cry for a return to the original.

Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  03:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The version on the extras of the sellout tour is one of the best
Just because the time of day is perfect for that song

dusk, festival, charles with eye liner, crowd digging a band most prob havent heard

magic

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000