Frank in Tempe, AZ - Oct. 1st
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeachyPeach
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  01:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it was my first time seeing the man in AZ since I've lived here (saw him twice in Seattle, once in Vancouver). I had been told by the local record store (Zia) that the concert was sold out, thus I arrived expecting to scalp a ticket, jump the fence in the smoking area, or even try to bribe a doorman. None of this was necessary, as I was told by the first group I approached for a spare ticket that the show was not, in fact, sold out. So, I entered the theater to a smattering of people (seriously, what's the deal? there were like forty people loosely gathered in front of the stage) and shortly Frank came on armed with acoustic guitar. He smashed through a set of ten songs or so. He opened with Cactus, and I know he played Song of the Shrimp (because someone yelled it out) and Abstract Plain, Los Angeles, Ten Percenter, All My Ghosts...let's see...I'm a little drunk as I write this, and can't quite remember the rest of it. Near the end he said, "I'm gonna play one more, and then we'll bring Frank Black out here." I believe this was a reference to the fact that the opening band (the Kentucky something-or-others) canceled or had trouble with the police or something, so Frank was forced to open his own show--I'm not complaining, as I'd rather see an acoustic Frank set than some band I've never heard of.

Anyway, went outside to smoke, then Frank reappeared, in a black suit, pinstripe shirt and boots, flanked by Eric Drew Feldman on bass, whose name I yelled out, causing him to take a modest bow (yep, that was me, guys), and two other guys I didn't recognize. Unfortunately, I didn't catch their names; lead guitar was a short guy with glasses and a soul patch, drums was an enthusiastic fellow with shoulder-length fluffy white hair. He seemed to make eye contact and smile at me several times, I think this was because I kept air drumming the fills.

Um, I recorded the set list and texted it to my roommate, in hopes I could post it when I got home, but at the moment, said roommate is nowhere to be found. Soon's he wakes up, I'll post it, but don't hold your breath, as I probably won't be home until late Monday night. Because I know you are all trembling in anticipation. Sigh. Anyway, it was a great show, I was not disappointed at all, despite my limited familiarity with Honeycomb and Fast Man/Raider Man (I have them both, just haven't listened to them over and over). He did play a lot of new stuff, but I think probably about half the show was from Dog in the Sand or earlier. Songs I remember, for now: Calistan, Headache, I Burn Today, Suffering, 666, Raiderman, Two Reelers, I'll Be Blue, Bullet, The Swimmer, California Bound, Whiskey In Your Shoes, Nadine (!), Horrible Day, My Life Is In Storage, Sing For Joy, Johnny Barleycorn, My Terrible Ways...

Forgive the album-centric chronology, I was using allmusic.com as a springboard to remember what he played. Like I said, full set list tomorrow...

Amazing show, though!

GarlicSoul
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  02:35:27  Show Profile  Visit GarlicSoul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it was an AMAZING show!!

I've put up some pictures from the show, over here:

http://www.myspace.com/sandalwoodfog

shawnte

Edited by - GarlicSoul on 10/02/2006 02:38:01
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  05:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GarlicSoul, could you please upload your pics to the Photo Gallery (see sticky at the top of the page for instructions). Go to the Frank Black category and upload them there, I'll process them into a folder asap (end of the week). Thanks.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

pman
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  06:39:11  Show Profile  Visit pman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
unfortunately I saw the same show. He looked tired. I appreciate his music and all he has done for modern sound. Frank please retire.
Go to Top of Page

GarlicSoul
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  07:02:13  Show Profile  Visit GarlicSoul's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That's too bad that you didn't have a good time,
but I thought he was great and we loved the show.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000