Nov. 9th, 2006 - Edmonton, AB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  02:29:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.reds.ab.ca/

Tickets requests, pre-gig meetings, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  08:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a group that will number near 30 strong coming to this show, some of us will surely be meeting up beforehand and I'm having a party at my place after the show. If anyone brings Frank and the band, I just might give you a beer!

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had three people phone me this week just to tell me that Sonic (local "modern rock" radio station) has been promoting the hell out of this show since the weekend. Of course they're playing Pixies songs to go with the promos, but this is the first time I can remember anyone other than the university station hyping a Frank show here, so it's kind of exciting.

Really counting the days now...any other locals on the board coming to this show? I know Carolyn must be hanging around somewhere, and I seem to remember a couple other forumites from Edmonton popping up when the Pixies came.

Go to Top of Page

aftertaste
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  19:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, Maybe someone can help me out, I have Two Extra tickets to this show. I can no longer go due to work. I'll give both for the price of one due to such short notice, I'm in saskatoon, maybe someone can meet up with me at the show.

Edited by - aftertaste on 06/09/2013 23:46:12
Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  06:36:52  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how was it?
Go to Top of Page

TheRockRobot
- FB Fan -

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:35:58  Show Profile  Visit TheRockRobot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, first-time poster here.

Excellent show! Kentucky Prophet was great as well, and a real nice guy. My sister and I got to chat with him a bit after the show and she bought one of his EPs.

I can't give a true account of the setlist (since there were some tracks I simply didn't know) other than to say it was very similar to the few previous ones (no Calistan or Dog Gone though). Frank's Acoustic performance at the beginning was Cactus, Velouria, Wave of Mutilation, Los Angeles, Mr. Grieves, & Monkey Gone to Heaven.

The highlights for me were Remake/Remodel (I've always loved Frank's version), The Black Rider, Gynaeshwar, All My Ghosts, Six Sixty Six, and another one which I'm not sure on the title (but I think he was saying 'Jerk' repeatedly), so if someone could let me know what that song is that would be great!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "jerk" song was likely "Ten Percenter," from his first solo album.

I could not find my honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  08:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad the boys made it safely to Edmontonia, looking forward to some show reviews and photos in the gallery. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got to the show and realized I had left the card from my camera in the computer, so no photos from me to go with this excellent show. I'll make up for it at the next couple.

Interesting story on the way there: I was drinking, so left the car at home. Took a bus to the show, and as we got there some guy must have heard us talking because he asked, "Are you going to concert...the Black Frank? Can you show me how to get there?" Turns out it was a fellow by the name of Yoav (sp?) who just came to Canada from Israel a few months ago and this was the first concert he was going to in this country. Very friendly guy, he was coming to meet a friend at the show and they wound up hanging around with our group for much of the night. I've never been out of this country, so it's always a cool experience for me when I meet someone from halfway across the world who digs the Pixies like this guy.

It was definitely a killer performance, they seemed even tighter than a couple nights previous. The near-consensus amongst my friends was that this show was the best Frank's done in our fair city; he's come once with the Catholics and once with the Pixies, and just about everyone who had been at both those shows agreed this band was head and shoulders above the others. I was excited to get the acoustic Mr. Grieves. If the full-band setlist wasn't identical to that in Saskatoon I can't remember what was different.

Everyone was digging the acoustic business at the start, the Pixies tunes all got a pretty widespread singalong. The band then hit the stage and proceeded to smoke through a highly-rocking set that made me think almost every single song sounded better than the last time. Living On Soul was absolutely incredible; always been a favourite song of mine and the treatment they gave it last night was beyond splendid. Bullet seemed a little off at the beginning, Frank started with the "you are my son" line before the first verse, but by the time it was over they had made us forget all that. I'll Be Blue was again a highlight, though I don't think they fiddled with the arrangement quite the same as in Saskatoon. Next highlight was Ten Percenter, which was gushing all the grease which makes it great and looked to me like the moment when the band pocketed the crowd. I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh) again got a pretty good chant-along from the crowd, though nowhere close to the raucous job done on Tuesday. This seems like a good time to point out that the crowd at this show gave all appearances, once again, of an impressive familiarity with the man's work from all eras. For all but the newest of the new songs, I saw mouths panting along every way I turned. I am a poor estimator of such things, but my guess would be around 371 people.

Anyway, Gyaneshwar got people back into rock mode, Suffering and Johnny Barleycorn were both intense and well-executed. That Burnt Out Rock 'n' Roll was very well-received by the crowd, which danced more exuberantly to this one than any other to that point. The next song that I remember is Dead Man's Curve, which was another high point and wonderfully set the stage for an exceptional 666-Nadine combo that really put the crowd over the top - there was even a limited amount of pogoing during these tunes, particularly Nadine.

That's it off the top of my head, and I was just referring to the setlist in the S'toon thread, but I'm almost certain it was the same. There are a few more details to which I'd like to refer, but my ride to Calgary just called so I'm done for now. Apologies again for not getting any photos, boo-hoo.

Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:27:23  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good post, crispy! Maybe I'll see you at the Calgary show tonight.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pogoing to Nadine? Weird.

I could not find my honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:45:06  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
they didn't change the venue at the last minute like they did in Saskatchewan did they?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, the venues are supposedly solid for the rest of the tour. The Canadian promoter just messed with the Manitoba and SK venues for some reason.

Thanks for the review, Crispy, sounds like a great time. I wish I could do a mini-tour like yourself.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  13:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree in saying that that was the best Frank Black show I've been to out of the last 3. I think the setlist was as perfect as it could be. And again I'd agree with saying that the crowd was very impressive with knowing their stuff. Especially when they all look so young. I do have to mention that Billy Block rocks. He is awesome to watch, he looks like he's having a blast up there, tres entertaining. Ten Percenter live was awesome. Good all around. It was neat to go to a show all by my lonesome since everyone I know jammed out on me and I couldn't give a ticket away despite my trying really really hard. I had a great time just sitting back and watching, I must be old.

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  12:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take the tickets off you aftertaste.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000